Shield of Humanity

By Arbitrator, in Only War

You've probably already seen it, but...

Advanced Specialities for Tech-Priests, Ogryn, Ratlings and Priests.

• New Regiment options,
  • Auxiliary Regiments (Ratlings, Crimson Guard)
  • Ogryn/Ratling Comrades
  • New Tanks/Vehicles

I must admit, I really am let down that Commissars, Psykers and Storm Troopers are being left out in the mud, especially with the former two being amongst the most popular choices in games. I suspect that these are being saved for some sort of "Officer/High Rank" supplement with Commissar-Lords and such. Still, it's a bit surprising to see no Primaris Psyker in there as well. Doh well.

It reads like another Player's Handbook which makes me a happy camper. The Auxiliaries/Comrades are a very pleasant surprise however.

Edited by Arbitrator

Well honestly, what can you REALLY do for Commissars, Psykers and Stormtroopers? None of them really specialize into different things, they just rank up.

Very excited for this. Only War is knocking it out of the park with its splatbooks, what with all the extra talents and specialities.

It really warms my heart that the first comment is a complaint about what's not in the book. Never change Internet.

And I'm so glad they've announced this one. I was really beginning to wonder what had happened to it.

My only comment on the book: TANKS!

BYE

Finally, Ogryn bone'ead..one of my players will be happy; he's been sporting an INT of 8..thought he DId managed a tech-use roll that one time....

Perhaps aerial vehicles?..Thought I suspect they might keep those for a Navy book..

Hmm... this will definitely help me with my next campaign that I am writing which focuses around an adeptus mechanicus explorator fleet.

Meh. To be honest, nothing in the 40K lines has wowed me since The Radical's Handbook. All else has been "Cool. Fluffy fluff, OP creep, toys. Next?"

It really warms my heart that the first comment is a complaint about what's not in the book. Never change Internet.

Because it means we have to now buy two books for Advance Specialities, whilst Guardsmen had one. Call me cynical, but it feels like they're being stretched out for the sake of it. Especially when Commissar and Psyker are two of the most popular archtypes in my experience. I'm still going to buy it, I'm sure it's still going to be good, I am however surprised.

It warms my heart to see you being so passive aggressive. Never change internet.

Edited by Arbitrator

You don't have to buy anything.

BYE

Well what is a Primaris Psyker, but a Psyker with a really high Psy Rating? What could you really add to make him different?
Same thing sorta with a Commissar. It's hard to justify giving them new Aptitudes when the current one fit so well.

The other classes are more loosely defined, and can easily become a number of different things.

Also, woooh new vehicles. I want Tauros dammit

The vehicle section was a lot of fun to put together, and the most fun I've had doing an Only War book since the vehicle rules in the Core Rulebook. Maybe they'll do a preview of them! :D

BYE

You don't have to buy anything.

BYE

If you want every speciality, yes you do. Maybe it's just because I've always been a strong advocate of purchasing the full product line because I've enjoyed what FFG has produced, even if I personally didn't get much use out of them (Radical's Handbook, Adventures). Not that I want to sound too bitter, but if I'm to expect passive aggressive attitudes from the people who write them just because I expressed surprise at what's not included I might just not bother picking them up in the future.

Edited by Arbitrator

The vehicle section was a lot of fun to put together, and the most fun I've had doing an Only War book since the vehicle rules in the Core Rulebook. Maybe they'll do a preview of them! :D

BYE

Can you give us an estimate of how many new vehicles we will find in the book? Or it is against the NDA testers have?

Can you give us an estimate of how many new vehicles we will find in the book? Or it is against the NDA testers have?

I can only really talk about what's in the official FFG announcements, so right now the announcement says that there are vehicles in the book, so I can say yes, there are vehicles in the book, and I had heaps of fun writing them. I really want to tell you about the vehicles, because Guard tanks are the coolest things in 40K (to me, anyway, besides Carnifexes that is)... but alas NDA's rule our lives. :unsure:

BYE

I hope there are fliers.

I'll miss the love Psykers won't get, too, but yeah, I can see the "what would they get?" angle. To me, a Primaris Psyker is, for the most part, a Psyker with a higher PR, better gear (here comes the "plasma pistol, force weapon, carapace armor, and refractor field; MAYBE a psychic hood" list I always sub for this idea ;) , and probably a higher appointment, which takes them out of the nice PC niche they otherwise occupy. All that gear is already available, if you or a fellow team member can just make those Req tests, and the PR is just spending XP. I know some folks have spoken up about disliking some of the Aptitudes choices for Psykers, but i wouldn't expect that to change; that's for between you and your GM.

I hope to see some of the unnecessary power creep for a few characters; maybe some True Faith and miracles, ala Blood of Martyrs, for the Priests, and definitely the unnecessary power armor and such EVERY tech-priest in 40K TT wears, but they don't here because no one else would get to.

Vehicles, squee! I'll like some new tanks, and hope for some other types, such as maybe the Tauros, MAYBE a bike, to put that horse out to pasture, and MAYBE, but probably not, the Valkyrie. If anything I just said is there, I might not even whine about all the others being absent.

The other stuff, I don't know; I'll have to get to read it. Hazaah! for a new book that isn't JUST an adventure, and I look forward to it greatly.

I hope there are fliers.

If now nothing else, Mechanicus forces certainly have no restrictions on mixing arms.

I hope there are fliers.

I really hope they're saving that for an actual supplement on the Imperial Navy. It would feel very out-of-place and tacked-on otherwise.

I hope there are fliers.

I really hope they're saving that for an actual supplement on the Imperial Navy. It would feel very out-of-place and tacked-on otherwise.

What else might that book have, though? OW is about the Guard, a force mostly separated from the Imperial Navy. Other than the use of Vendettas and Valkyries, transportation from Planet A to Planet B (your game MIGHT even gloss over that chunk, as I assume that IG forces on a Navy vessel are confined to barracks, for the most part), and the occasional orbital bombardment (one of my favorite Navy gifts), I'm not sure what such a Navy book would offer, and Rogue Trader might've touched on chunks of that, already.

I rather hope that the book has the stats for a Valkyrie, just so they can be used more easily, and a GM can involve what levels of the Navy they like.

Of course, if you have some other ideas about what might be in the Navy book, that could be fun to read, too. Some more chances to acquire Naval pistols ;)

Naval Armsman 'regiment'? True, it wouldn't be a 'Guard' regiment but then neither is the Dominate regiment in Enemies of the Imperium.

It could also include things for regiments that fight in space such as the Vostroyans in No Surrender .

Edited by Arbitrator

Sooooooooo,

We are already in the Q1 of 2014, when it will be released? Any sneakpeek coming?

I'm very curious about this book.

Sooooooooo,

We are already in the Q1 of 2014, when it will be released? Any sneakpeek coming?

I'm very curious about this book.

There's still two months left in Q1 though.

And I, for one, look forward to the vehicles. Even if I can't get an OW campaign running, I'll incorporate them into our Rogue Trader game. Somehow.

Edited by Marwynn

Yep, there's still 2 months, for this reason I was expecting some news by FF, a release date at least.....

I'm waiting for more news as well. I really want to get my hands on this one.

BYE

Now this may be being silly but I can't think of an advanced special for a ratling, can anyone else?

Now this may be being silly but I can't think of an advanced special for a ratling, can anyone else?

Perhaps a cook...Casey Ryback style, of course!