Seeds of Heresy (Play-by-Post) INPLAY

By GauntZero, in Adventure: Seeds of Heresy

"Acolytes - your shuttle is ready to start within the next 30 minutes".

The speakers voice sends a cold chill down your spine.

It is the real beginning of your mission, sending you to a place who has seen no imperial outsiders for over 20 years.

A place left on its own, without guidance or a moral compass.

No astropaths message returned - no tithes have been fetched, no traders landed there.

You need to be careful and watch your steps. Even under the best conditions - if the 2 decades of lost contact didnt harm the loyalty of Novabellas citizens - there still is this 20 year old message from the prelate, calling for help - unanswered.

And 20 years are a long time for a possible heresy to breed.

In this moment you can feel the burden that lies on your shoulders, as when you fail, not only your lives are at stake, but the destiny of this whole world.

"Please get on board for your transfer to Novabella. The servitor will pilot you to a destination of your choice."

A short delay.

"And dont forget - we need to leave in 4 weeks from now due to occuring warp disturbances...if you dont return until then...may the emperor protect you."

I board the shuttle and strap in with practiced ease, and begin to recite the Litany of Planetfall (Civilian Edition)

Camyll boards the shuttle following Rynn, strap himself and sighs, focusing his eyes into the infinite and letting his mind crawl into grey memories.

Reginald nods at the information that Camyll provides.

"I have been checking all available records. Although I have only managed to check 98% of them due to our change in schedule, I can state with some confidence that the Kathrinka nobles have ruled consistently since records on the planet began to be kept. This indicates a level of popularity with the population, consistent political savvy, a strong ability to crush rebellion, or all of these. A dynasty that has lasted this long will be very capable of deflecting any attempts to disrupt power, although this may also lead to them being overconfident. I cannot say any of this for certain."

Reginald pauses, and stares ahead briefly, considering something.

"I trust that this information is already familiar to all of you, given the briefing packet I provided you, along with its abridged version."

Reginald motions to a stack of documents as tall as a dictionary stuffed in a corner shelf. Above it is an even larger packet. Both sets of documents are carefully bound by string.

As the announcement is called for the shuttle, Reginald taps his chrono and matches away to collect his possessions. Once in the shuttle itself, Reginald sits down and begins rifling through more documents, muttering about his schedule. A crewman arrives in the shuttle to confirm that everyone is aboard. Noticing that Reginald has not yet strapped in, he grunts and quickly rushes over and fastens Reginald in. The straps restrict Reginald from further movement and a stack of documents spill to the floor, to the great joy of everyone around him. Reginald looks distraught and angry, but his protests are covered up by the roar of engines.

Looking up for the first time from the information that has been given and him and now just boarding the shuttle, Teagan says,

"Well, it seems like the crew was more efficient than previously thought."

He gives a sly grin from behind the flipped up collar of his trench coat.

Edited by Elior

Starting the engines, the pilot-servitor asks Reginald, what destination he should bring the acolytes to.

He could head for the official terminals for orbital shuttles or try to land somewhere abroad, if he finds a good amount of space to do so.

Of course he is also willing to follow other instructions as long as they are within his parameters.

Having planned to enter the planet under the cover story of a warp-delayed transport ship, Reginald directs the servitor to land the ship in the official terminal. He transmits the flight plans and manifest of the orbiting ship. (If this requires a roll, Reginald has a 40 to administratum and bureaucracy lores, with a +10 to lore checks from his scribe tines if applicable; I assume this kind of roll is made by GM). He looks down his nose at Teagan, but nods approvingly at the stack of information Teagan had been absorbing. Reginald looks at the men before him as the pilot begins to launch the ship from its docking bay, his hand nervously running up and down his devotional scar.

"For the Emperor," he says.

Edited by Nimsim

Your transmissions are sent, being confirmed just a short time later, telling you what terminal to land at.

By the speed of the reply you can tell that it seems to be an automatic response.

Following the sent coordinates, the servitor-pilot gets ready to bring you down.

Teagan returns the gaze of Reginald, nods his head in respect and replies, "For the Emperor brother".

Edited by Elior

The shuttle brings you to the terminal and starts its flight back to the spacecraft as soon as you left it with your equipment.

The terminal seems to be empty - and you can see clear signs that it was not in use for a long time.

As you walk along to leave the terminal, you can see a vehicle in some distance closing in on the terminal area.

It seems like someone had observed your shuttle - probably already saw the spacecraft in the orbit.

The shuttle brings you to the terminal and starts its flight back to the spacecraft as soon as you left it with your equipment.

The terminal seems to be empty - and you can see clear signs that it was not in use for a long time.

As you walk along to leave the terminal, you can see a vehicle in some distance closing in on the terminal area.

It seems like someone had observed your shuttle - probably already saw the spacecraft in the orbit.

Before he has even completely disembarked from the shuttle, Reginald turns the recorder of his Servo-Skull on and dictates the report of a successful landing for the shuttle, and continues with estimated distance traveled, fuel costs, estimated geographic coordinates of the landing point, and various other minutiae. Upon finishing, Reginald notes to the other acolytes that it will be important to record the details of their work in order for it to be recorded upon return. Reginald then indicates for his servo-skull to end the recording. As he continues walking, Reginald beckons the servo-skull closer to him and whispers a strange-sounding phrase. He then notes the disuse of the terminal and reports that no natives have yet been spotted. Upon seeing the approaching vehicle, Reginald whispers the phrase again and the servo-skull pulls back away from him. Reginald smiles and looks toward the approaching vehicle.

"Ah, good, we have been sent transport."

Reginald notes the time on his chrono and begins filling out the necessary paperwork.

As the vehicle comes closer to your position, you can see that it is a kind of armoured transport - not very well maintained though. It might be another 1 or 2 minutes until it will arrive at your position.

Teagan observes the transport as it nears as well as the person(s) inside to see if he can recognize which branch (if any) of the Imperium that they belong to.

You can see some of the writings on the transport, which tells that the transport belongs to the "Novabella Sworn Protectors".

Whoever that might be...

I await their arrival.

Camyll walks behind the others acolytes, with a false showing of disconfort. While playing his role of a non-attentive man, he scans with his in-built auger array the surroundings and the vehicle with the intention of distinguish any threat.

[Per 40 + 20 of the Auger Array, I suppose the roll is made by the DM]

Reginald, noting that the vehicle is armored, stammers briefly with confusion.

"But...armored vehicles are not standard issue for providing transport to tithe overseers. Why would they be sending that?"

Reginald begins searching through his data-pad for any information about standard protocol using armored vehicles. He glances up to check if the vehicle has any visible weaponry. His hand rests on the hilt of his chainsword.

Noticing Reginald's unease and being suspicious himself performs a Common Lore (Imperium) check (Int 40 [GM rolls?]) To remember Novabella protocol.

"Well, we did say we were transporting dangerous elements. Thats me being optimistic though. This doesn't sit right."

Angevin loosens the straps on his weapons, and draws his Hellgun and glances around for cover.

"Just in case this doesn't end well, regroup behind those crates over there. That's our best hold out."

"And Reginald, they haven't had any contact with the Imperium for 20 years. Don't be unnecessarily harsh on them. You could push them into actions we don't want"

//Rolling Common Lore Imperial Guard to recognize the vehicle, on Int 35. Any modifiers?

Edited by Felenis

@Elior: You cannot recall to have ever seen any records about Novabella at all

@Eisenhorn: no signs of life or danger within closer distance besides the transport.

The transports hull seem to partially disturb the auspex scan, but you can tell that there are several life forms inside.

@Nimsim: You can spot a Heavy Stubber on the top of the transport - one that looks as ill-maintained as the transport itself.

@Felenis: it seems to be a modified variant of an chimera transport - someone seems to have tried to repair it several times (with a rather low skill), which makes the original heritage a little hard to guess.

"No hidden signs of life, chumachos . Several readings inside, unclear number. Let's hope they are in the same state as their vehicle, so them to be polite."

Alright then, I suppose we wait for its approach.

I keep my weapons down, but if someone gets into the Heavy Bolter cupola I'll raise my gun

The transport stops about 20m from you, showing you its side.

On the side you cant see, your hear movement and are aware of one man taking cover at each of the sides of the vehicle (one at the end and on at the front part of the vehicle).

A man who looks like their commander heads towards you, 4 men by his side with drawn Lasguns (which seem to be in a similar shape than the vehicle).

They all are wearing light enforcer carapaces, so it seems like you are facing a kind of military unit here.

Other than this 7 men, you spot one more as the driver of the transport).

Edited by GauntZero

Do they greet us, or start any dialogue, or just march forward and stand silent?

I'll step forward between them and the others.

"We are an official Imperial delegation. Identify yourself, and the reason behind your overwhelming force"

The leading man is slowing down his steps until he stands about 5m from you.

He does the sign of the aquilla to greet you and responds with a firm voice.

"My name is Sergeant William Crouze, 1st Division of the Novabella Sworn Protectors Planetary Defense force."

He takes a short moment to observe you.

"We warmly welcome you, if you can identify yourselves as the ones you say you were. Until then - I must advice you to keep your weapons low or be shot at any sign of resistance."