Dust Warfare - Force Builder now available

By Maine, in Dust Warfare

Thanks for the bug reports. I was rushing to get it done last night after 9 pm, finished bleary eyed at 1 am…

I'll get all that fixed tonight, it's pretty minor.

Please keep the bug reports - and feature requests - coming!

Axis Sturmgrenadiers don't have access to the platoon upgrade Improved Command 5AP

Version 8 is up, which I believe fixes all the bugs reported so far.

This might be a big task to implement, with Resourceful upgrade you can have multiple 1st sections and 1st sections can be Support units allowing for all armoured platoons.

It's currently implemented the way I understand the rule to work: Resourceful expands your options for Support choices to include any unit you could have taken as a 1st Section.

In the Force Builder, when you choose Resourceful, the 1st Section options are added to the Support choice popups. If you then choose another upgrade, those options are removed, and if you had chosen a 1st Section unit it will switch to the first item in the list.

Maine said:

It's currently implemented the way I understand the rule to work: Resourceful expands your options for Support choices to include any unit you could have taken as a 1st Section.

In the Force Builder, when you choose Resourceful, the 1st Section options are added to the Support choice popups. If you then choose another upgrade, those options are removed, and if you had chosen a 1st Section unit it will switch to the first item in the list.

Yeah, you have it right. There's no current way to have an all armored platoon. It just counts the 1st section infantry choices as an option to have them as support choice also.

Nice work getting the update done so quickly, but the Commisar's points costs are muddled. They should be as follows:

'The Fonvizen' - 9AP

'The Sumarokov' - 5AP

'The Derzhavin' - 5AP

'The Trediakovsky' - 8AP

'The Karamzin' - 8AP

Keep up the awesome work!

Thanks Doraiya, I didn't have the book with me when I made the fixes.

Updated!

Thank you for the hard work and your time. I did notice an omission. Under SSU Platoon upgrades, I don't see Improved Command 5 pts.

When I compare what this does for free with what a competing company's recently released professionally (term used very loosely) designed App can't do, even after buying all the faction card decks, I just shake my head and wonder… sorpresa.gif

Thanks Maine! This is awesome.

Wardemon said:

Thank you for the hard work and your time. I did notice an omission. Under SSU Platoon upgrades, I don't see Improved Command 5 pts.

Hotfixed, thanks. It would show up if you switched to Political and back. It was due to the pre-validation test (is this platoon type allowed to take this?) being overwritten by the validation test (is command section correct for this upgrade?).

Shadow4ce said:

When I compare what this does for free with what a competing company's recently released professionally (term used very loosely) designed App can't do, even after buying all the faction card decks, I just shake my head and wonder… sorpresa.gif

Thanks Maine! This is awesome.

Completely agree - this is a fantastic app, that I use every time I want to build an army.

Got another bug for you Maine, though it might be tricky to resolve…

Basically, say you have listed multiple Commissars in a platoon. If you cancle a field, it not only removes the points for the commisar you removed, but all the Commissars in the platoon. This forces you to remove all the Commisars when making changes to their numbers.

Doraiya said:

Basically, say you have listed multiple Commissars in a platoon. If you cancle a field, it not only removes the points for the commisar you removed, but all the Commissars in the platoon. This forces you to remove all the Commisars when making changes to their numbers.

Fixed, it was a minor typo in a variable name in the RemoveCommissars function - I was iterating over platoon.comissars when removing rather than platoon.com m issars.

Taking a queue from the Commissar counts, I've added current/max hero, platoon, and support counts.

Thanks for the kind words, folks. I really appreciate it :-) Disclaimer: I'm a professional software engineer with over 12 years experience. Normally I work with C++, sometimes Python. JavaScript is something I've dabbled with a bit, but this is probably the most significant JS project I've worked on. I can't do layout or art for crap, but I can code!

I was thinking of getting a custom domain, something like "dustforcebuilder.com" or something… thoughts?

Great looking tool, thanks for making it :)

Maine, you could put it at, "onlydorksclickhere.com" and I'll still use it, but yeah, having its own domain could be cool. Just avoid a certain name or you'll get sued. If (after my hints below) you're unsure what it is, PM me.

Some poor guy used a similar product's name when describing his tool he created for WM/Hordes, and he got sued. Also, Privateer Press had to institute a filter in their forum software which changed this other products name to some other words whenever anyone tried to mention it or describe it by calling it after their product.

"DustForceBuilder.com" will probably be okay, but something like, "DustPlatoonOrganizer.com" would be even safer. Whatever you do, don't use the, "A-Word" of, "AP Cost" and, the word, "Builder" together. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Maine said:

Doraiya said:

Fixed, it was a minor typo in a variable name in the RemoveCommissars function - I was iterating over platoon.comissars when removing rather than platoon.com m issars.

Taking a queue from the Commissar counts, I've added current/max hero, platoon, and support counts.

Thanks for the kind words, folks. I really appreciate it :-) Disclaimer: I'm a professional software engineer with over 12 years experience. Normally I work with C++, sometimes Python. JavaScript is something I've dabbled with a bit, but this is probably the most significant JS project I've worked on. I can't do layout or art for crap, but I can code!

I was thinking of getting a custom domain, something like "dustforcebuilder.com" or something… thoughts?

All it would take would be a quick ask to Paolo. If you're part of the Facebook group he's very available there. Or contact him through the Dust site. He's already offered hi res pics to the guys doing the custom cards. Usually if it's something fan based to help promote the game, he has been more than gracious. I can even get permission for you through the FB group if you're not on there.

Shadow4ce said:

Maine, you could put it at, "onlydorksclickhere.com" and I'll still use it, but yeah, having its own domain could be cool. Just avoid a certain name or you'll get sued. If (after my hints below) you're unsure what it is, PM me.

Some poor guy used a similar product's name when describing his tool he created for WM/Hordes, and he got sued. Also, Privateer Press had to institute a filter in their forum software which changed this other products name to some other words whenever anyone tried to mention it or describe it by calling it after their product.

"DustForceBuilder.com" will probably be okay, but something like, "DustPlatoonOrganizer.com" would be even safer. Whatever you do, don't use the, "A-Word" of, "AP Cost" and, the word, "Builder" together. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Oh, I'm quite aware of the ForwardKommander debacle, which is why I call it a 'Force Builder', and I've corrected anyone who referred to it as an "army builder", which is a trademark of Lone Wolf. I thought about calling it Platoon Builder, Platoon Creator, etc, but I thought 'Force Builder' had a nice ring to it. Sadly forcebuilder.com is owned by either a squatter or someone who hasn't bothered to put it to use.

ForwardKommander wasn't sued, but they did get a cease and desist. I don't agree with Lone Wolf's aggressive stance on the issue, but I understand the law behind their motivation. If they did not try to enforce the trademark, they can lose it - in a way, they were forced into this action by trademark law itself. I don't know if Lone Wolf would have actually gone to court - I can't imagine they make enough on the product to afford to sue someone over a non-commercial product, as they probably wouldn't have been able to recoup costs even if they won, let alone damages. The letter itself that was sent to FK seems harsh, but legal letters always do.

On another note, I've thought about creating a "Special Thanks" page for anyone who made a contribution to the Snow Leopard Trust, or to me directly, as appreciation for the builder. If 5 people have donated to SLT, and can forward me proof, I think I will do so. My email address is on the top of the DWFB page.

I didn't mean sued for money, I meant sued with a C&D order. I guess sued usually implies monetary, so I miscommunicated.

While I haven't donated, I am serious about getting you a copy of the Hades book when it releases. Please do send me a PM with your contact info when it starts shipping. I'll have my FLGS ship you one.

Shadow4ce said:

I didn't mean sued for money, I meant sued with a C&D order. I guess sued usually implies monetary, so I miscommunicated.

While I haven't donated, I am serious about getting you a copy of the Hades book when it releases. Please do send me a PM with your contact info when it starts shipping. I'll have my FLGS ship you one.

Warning! Pedantic mode on. Technically a Cease and Desist is usually a precursor to suing, 'politely' requesting (since they can always just sue instead of asking first) that the target stop doing something or they will be sued. No legal filing is made yet, so it's not an actual lawsuit. They could then have followed up with suing to cease and desist, and possible monetary damages.

- Chris

Maine said:

Shadow4ce said:

Warning! Pedantic mode on. Technically a Cease and Desist is usually a precursor to suing, 'politely' requesting (since they can always just sue instead of asking first) that the target stop doing something or they will be sued. No legal filing is made yet, so it's not an actual lawsuit. They could then have followed up with suing to cease and desist, and possible monetary damages.

- Chris

I see. My apologies. I misunderstood. Civil law I'm not up to speed on. As a Deputy Marshal, criminal law is much more my area of expertise.

Denied said:

Axis Sturmgrenadiers don't have access to the platoon upgrade Improved Command 5AP

I believe you mean a platton not led by Kommandotrup or Sturmpioneer.

thejughead said:

Denied said:

I believe you mean a platton not led by Kommandotrup or Sturmpioneer.

This was fixed in Revision 8 - the Improved Command upgrade was not showing up in the list for Sturmgrenadier and Bleutkreuz platoons.

Just noticed something. Action Jackson, if he leads a Red Devil platoon, counts towards the hero limit though his description doesn't specifically say he counts towards the hero limit when leading like it does the other heroes. Has this been covered previously?

All Heroes count towards the limit - the rules are written such that you may have X number of Heroes in total, which may be independent or may be a Command Section of a Platoon.