Dust Warfare - Force Builder now available

By Maine, in Dust Warfare

very helpful ! thanks

thejughead said:

How do you want me to store the data? In arrays? Can you give me a shell of the array and I will begin to fill them.

thejughead said:

How do you want me to store the data? In arrays? Can you give me a shell of the array and I will begin to fill them.

Hm, let's use JSON with this format… before you start, I can't promise this will make it into the final product. Please email me using the contact address on the Force Builder page (my name at the top).

Use short identifiers for rules/weapons.

Example:

units = {
"unit identified - just put a name here I'll work out the rest": {
"description": "flavor text, html allowed",
"move": move, "dc": dc, "type": "soldier or vehicle or aircraft", "armor": armor,
"rules": [ "rule1", "rule2", { "name": "special rule name", "description": "special rule description, html allowed" } ],
"weapons": { "weapon1": 1, "weapon2": 3 }
}, ….
};

weapons = {
"weapon1": { "name": "full weapon name", "page": pagenum, "description": "long description, html allowed", "rules": [ "rule1", "rule2", "rule3" ], "damage": [ s1, s2, s3, s4, v1, v2, v3, v4, v5, v6, v7, a1, a2, a3 ] },
….
}

For weapons, do damages as "#/#" strings like in the book, use "S" for Spray, e.g, "3/1", "S/3", "SS/1"

rules = {
"rule1": { "name": "full rulename", "page": pagenum, "description": "long description, html allowed", "rules": [ "rule1", "rule2" ] },
….
}

(Rules with other rules is to cover how things like "Radioman" grant "Artillery Strike").

However you do it, I can re-arrange it if needed. Getting the information typed in is time consuming, this will let me focus on the code side of it. I have not yet decided how I will handle it; I might store this data in an additional file and have it only loaded for a detailed output; I'll probably use HTML for the detailed output as well.

How does this sound for 2 new HTML output modes:

- "Rules (Brief)" includes basic stats (unit type, armor, move, health) and the names of rules for each unit w/ page numbers

- "Detailed" includes the above, weapon info for each unit included w/ the unit, and summary of rules at the end

I originally did not provide this info because I considered linking to 536RodneySmith's awesome info cards instead, but I can see how people may prefer a straight printout with the info.

felkor said:

AELFWINE said:

This is fantastic!

Can we get the option to add more than two platoons? Or am I missing something. I am using IE8.

Change the maximum # of points and it should let you do more.

Yeah, I did that. I changed it to 450, 500 and 1200. No effect. Adjust fire. Over.

I did and it worked in firefox.

Is it actually legal to buy "Extra Panzer" support for a zombie/gorilla platoon, allowing you to get a support choice you otherwise wouldn't have access to?

BDub said:

Is it actually legal to buy "Extra Panzer" support for a zombie/gorilla platoon, allowing you to get a support choice you otherwise wouldn't have access to?

I just saw that as well.

AELFWINE said:

BDub said:

I just saw that as well.

Hm, good point. I guess I need to fix that so you can only take a support you normally could have taken.

AELFWINE said:

BDub said:

I just saw that as well.

Neither the Axis Gorilla Platoon led by Markus nor a Zombie Platoon led by Totenmeister are allowed any platoon upgrades whatsoever.

Maine said:

Hm, good point. I guess I need to fix that so you can only take a support you normally could have taken.

No, I'm actually asking. I no those specialized platoons cant ordinarily take support choices, but I am unsure if you can circumvent that restriction by buying them a platoon upgrade. It would be nice if you could, allowing you to throw a Heinrich with them to cause suppression before the zombie onslaught begins.

Oh, hey, btw. It would be nice to have a button to reset all field or perhaps a reset at the platoon level.

Also, nice work.

BDub said:

Maine said:

No, I'm actually asking. I no those specialized platoons cant ordinarily take support choices, but I am unsure if you can circumvent that restriction by buying them a platoon upgrade. It would be nice if you could, allowing you to throw a Heinrich with them to cause suppression before the zombie onslaught begins.

Pages 132 and 134 say that neither of the platoons shall receive said platoon upgrades but must otherwise obey Axis platoon rules.

However, you could have another platoon with walkers, levy the Axis Extra Panzer Support upgrade, provide a screening action and then conduct a passage of lines with the gorillas screaming forward past the walkers.

AELFWINE said:

felkor said:

AELFWINE said:

This is fantastic!

Can we get the option to add more than two platoons? Or am I missing something. I am using IE8.

Change the maximum # of points and it should let you do more.

Yeah, I did that. I changed it to 450, 500 and 1200. No effect. Adjust fire. Over.

Fixed. Yet another IE event difference :-(

Thanks for reporting it!

AELFWINE said:

AELFWINE said:

BDub said:

I just saw that as well.

Neither the Axis Gorilla Platoon led by Markus nor a Zombie Platoon led by Totenmeister are allowed any platoon upgrades whatsoever.

That's an easy change; I assume it's the same for Action Jackson's Paratroop platoon… I'll do that tonight.

No problem with the report. Action Jackson operates the same.

Thanks for providing this utility! :)

AELFWINE said:

BDub said:

I just saw that as well.

No. Page 115, Extra Panzer Support…

"The walker must be of a type normally available to the platoon as a support unit."

Hey Maine, can I post a link to this on the BoLs Dust forum?

THREE CHEERS FOR MAINE!

HIP, HIP HOORAY!

HIP, HIP HOORAY!

HIP, HIP, HOORAY!

BDub said:

Hey Maine, can I post a link to this on the BoLs Dust forum?

Yes, please share it around freely!

On another note, I had a game of DW last night which ran long so i didn't get much time to work on the builder; I've got fixes pending deployment for the Platoon Upgrades with special platoons, and Extra Panzer Support limiting the panzer to a select list. I'm working on much better warning feedback for duplicate heros and excess heroes (orange /! icon in the point column with a hover-over tooltip describing the problem).

You guys may appreciate this: In my game last night, I had Ozz 117 behind a Sturmkonig, but Ozz had already taken 3 damage. I hit the Sturmkonig with a Long Tom, and set it on fire; I was the Reacting player, so my opponent backed up the flaming Sturmkonig over Ozz, causing a Spray/1 against Ozz… and successfully damaging him. Ozz rolled 1,1,2 on his armor rolls… and died a flaming death :-(

Awesome move on your opponents part.

Maine said:

Yes, please share it around freely!

On another note, I had a game of DW last night which ran long so i didn't get much time to work on the builder; I've got fixes pending deployment for the Platoon Upgrades with special platoons, and Extra Panzer Support limiting the panzer to a select list. I'm working on much better warning feedback for duplicate heros and excess heroes (orange /! icon in the point column with a hover-over tooltip describing the problem).

You guys may appreciate this: In my game last night, I had Ozz 117 behind a Sturmkonig, but Ozz had already taken 3 damage. I hit the Sturmkonig with a Long Tom, and set it on fire; I was the Reacting player, so my opponent backed up the flaming Sturmkonig over Ozz, causing a Spray/1 against Ozz… and successfully damaging him. Ozz rolled 1,1,2 on his armor rolls… and died a flaming death :-(

Great, I'll post this afternoon and let people know to look for updates. (a last updated date/version no. on the App would be helpful there.)

I love flaming tank over-runs!

I already posted on BoLS, but thanks :-).

I'll be adding a version number and most recent update with the next build.

happy.gif

Great stuff I posted at the NEAT-43 yahoo group feel free to sign up if you like

Hey Maine, It just occurred to me as I was building/exporting lists that it would be nice to have an optional "name" field that I can fill out so that my exported lists can have unique name as a header of sorts.

Thanks,

-B

BDub said:

Hey Maine, It just occurred to me as I was building/exporting lists that it would be nice to have an optional "name" field that I can fill out so that my exported lists can have unique name as a header of sorts.

Thanks,

-B

Seconded! cool.gif

Shadow4ce said:

BDub said:

Thanks,

-B

Seconded! cool.gif

I posted revision 3 last night, and now maintain a changelog and 'features under consideration' list, linked at the top of the page.

I'll be adding a 'Title' and 'Notes' section for the army, and a per-platoon 'Label'. These will be output only if set.

How do you folks feel about the "Dust Warfare - Force Builder" header on exports?

With the new warning reporting in place, I'm tempted to remove the limitation on adding heroes/platoons/supports, to allow for easier tweaking, and leave it up to the user to 'clear the warnings' to produce a valid list.