Arkham Horror Statistics Reports

By Tibs, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

You can't, since your custom investigators aren't in the investigator list.

Admiral142 said:

Is it ok to post games on that spreadsheet when using custom investigators?

Sure you can, you just won't have a checkbox for those investigators. I'm also assuming that any such characters are reasonably balanced (now that Patrice is a character, this concept is a bit more flexible). I myself have submitted one game using one custom character. So the number of investigator boxes I checked is going to be one less than the total of the fields, "# of investigators, # devoured, # retired" assuming I didn't use the Science Building's "switch bodies" encounter, which I didn't.

Now, games with custom AOs won't be able to be submitted. I made sure that the #1 most important thing this stats project sets out to prove is the strengths of the Ancient Ones.

Oh really... now ye tell us Tibs. Time for Organization XIII to move in and kick some monsters (or even Heartless)

We now have a reported final combat victory against Rhan-Tegroth.

Setup was Rhan-Tegroth+Ghroth (Ouch)

We started the game with sealing the beasts power as a random draw.

Nodens blessing came into play on the second turn and was immediately removed by relentless doom. A gate was opened via an encounter at the woods. One gate was sealed via an elder sign. Eventually a gate opened at devil's reef which monster surged 4 times. He was finally awakened by a double doom token rumor. 4 characters blessed at the start of final combat. Sealing the beasts power was completed. Only 5 gates opened over the course of the game. One thing we thought was clever was to use a carcosan page to share a sword of glory between two characters during final combat. There were no cultists ever drawn.

Congratulations! You've really kicked his ass ;) I'm impressed.

Nalanthi said:

One thing we thought was clever was to use a carcosan page to share a sword of glory between two characters during final combat.

Even though I have to admit that my group did something alike once, I'm pretty sure that that's not the way it was intended to be. The function of the card seems to much like a far-ranged trading, and as we all know, there's no traiding during combats.

Additinally, I think it would look kind of stupid O.o (On a second thought, it might look just epic, but that depends on who the director is)

Vitus_Prem said:

Nalanthi said:

One thing we thought was clever was to use a carcosan page to share a sword of glory between two characters during final combat.

Even though I have to admit that my group did something alike once, I'm pretty sure that that's not the way it was intended to be. The function of the card seems to much like a far-ranged trading, and as we all know, there's no trading during combats.

Additinally, I think it would look kind of stupid O.o (On a second thought, it might look just epic, but that depends on who the director is)

From the AH rulebook p. 20 "1. Investigators Refresh: ...... Finally they may trade items among themselves as if they were in the same location ..."

"2. Investigators Attack: Next starting with the first player and continuing clockwise around the table every player whose incestigator is still participating in the battle may make a combat check against the Ancient One using its combat rating as the modifier"

Carcosan Page: " Any Phase : Exhaust to either give 1 item to another willing investigator or receive 1 item from another willing investigator, regardless of whether or not you are in the same location."

Seems legit to me though if I am missing something let me know. We probably would have gotten him anyway as Joe Diamond had three more turns dual wielding his Golden Swords(!) of Y'ha-Talla (at least one while blessed because he didn't roll the turn we killed him) based on our after game peak ahead. Then a sinister plot card would have devoured everyone but Pete.

I think the speed with which he awakened was quite relevant as it kept us from drawing any cultists. Still only 5 gates causing 12 doom tokens in 7 rounds was scary.

Which 2 organization members should I use next game? I'm thinking Roxas and Axel since they are best friends.

Nalanthi said:

From the AH rulebook p. 20 "1. Investigators Refresh: ...... Finally they may trade items among themselves as if they were in the same location ..."

"2. Investigators Attack: Next starting with the first player and continuing clockwise around the table every player whose incestigator is still participating in the battle may make a combat check against the Ancient One using its combat rating as the modifier"

Carcosan Page: " Any Phase : Exhaust to either give 1 item to another willing investigator or receive 1 item from another willing investigator, regardless of whether or not you are in the same location."

Seems legit to me though if I am missing something let me know. We probably would have gotten him anyway as Joe Diamond had three more turns dual wielding his Golden Swords(!) of Y'ha-Talla (at least one while blessed because he didn't roll the turn we killed him) based on our after game peak ahead. Then a sinister plot card would have devoured everyone but Pete.

For me there is maybe 1 legitimate phase during final combat and that's the Upkeep at the beginning of each round, and even that's iffy. After that there are no phases as defined in the rules (Movement, AH Encounter, etc.).

"Combat with the Ancient One is divided into rounds.
During a round, players first have an opportunity to
adjust their investigators. Then, each player attacks the
Ancient One. Finally, the Ancient One attacks the investigators.
Once these steps have been resolved, a new
round begins." (p. 22)

The FAQ clarified that the refresh is a full Upkeep. Can't recall if anything is worded "Upkeep Phase" or is everything "Upkeep", but don't think I recall seeing any with the former wording.

Dam said:

Nalanthi said:

For me there is maybe 1 legitimate phase during final combat and that's the Upkeep at the beginning of each round, and even that's iffy. After that there are no phases as defined in the rules (Movement, AH Encounter, etc.).

"Combat with the Ancient One is divided into rounds.
During a round, players first have an opportunity to
adjust their investigators. Then, each player attacks the
Ancient One. Finally, the Ancient One attacks the investigators.
Once these steps have been resolved, a new
round begins." (p. 22)

The FAQ clarified that the refresh is a full Upkeep. Can't recall if anything is worded "Upkeep Phase" or is everything "Upkeep", but don't think I recall seeing any with the former wording.

I'm failry sure that "Any Phase" is meant to imply that it can be used at any time. Here is a list of "Any Phase" common items that could also not be used during the final battle if it doesn't have phases.

Bullwhip

Food

Lucky Cigarette case

Whiskey

Flamethrower

Kerosene

Elephant Gun

Lucky Rabbits Foot

Given the presence of weapons on this list I think we can safely say that you can use any phase items during the combat portion of the Final Combat. If not then we were truly screwed as we could not use our Golden Swords of Y'ha-talla as they are also any phase.

Nalanthi said:

Given the presence of weapons on this list I think we can safely say that you can use any phase items during the combat portion of the Final Combat. If not then we were truly screwed as we could not use our Golden Swords of Y'ha-talla as they are also any phase.

Well, Swords of Y'ha-talla are exhausted when used, so trading them via Carcosan Page is pretty pointless gui%C3%B1o.gif .

Also, rules specifically state no trading during combat, don't think the Carcosan Page can get around that. You can only trade in the Refresh/Upkeep of final combat because explicitly stated in the rules. For me step 2 of final combat "Investigators Attack" is combat (especially since you do your combat checks during that step).

Yoohoo ! This game begun really bad, double cursed, litas for two and all... but... we managed to win ! everything went incredibly smooth after the half of it ! We couldn't believe it ! Always a great feeling of achievement when that happens, and glad to hear everybody saying "hey, I like that game !". Gee, feels so good to save at last a devastated Arkham when some of its spots were crushed down by Shudde Mell...

I was Rex (which I love and hate, love because of clues, hate because of cursed), and I went insane thanks to the Shubb milk i spreaded all over...... the arkham police station floor !!!! seven atrocious entities in the police headquarters, believe me, that was great, especially that there was five + symbols amongst them, so when they moved... the entire pile moved along the street path ! that was great !

Still had some tiny doubts, though, for some events, but managed to decide. For instance, there is a card in South Church from CotDP expansion which says that the priest is being beaten and that you help him if you got a sacred weapon (cross, and so on). But nothing is said if you don't have anything like that ! So what ? the priest is smashed down while you're looking at it like a lame moron ?! And what about this encounter in the Inner Sanctum that says you can go to a location of your choice and drawing two encounters cards to decide which one you keep : can you go to a location with a gate ? (we did so) but then do you pick two other world cards ? (we didn't do so).

Oh and by the way : we always counted "elder sign cards" (and even the elder old parchment from CotDP) for the "elder signs played" for the victory counting ; but do elder sign tokens played for sealing do count for that too ?! we never did that, but we had a doubt. Cheers, bye !

Hem said:

Still had some tiny doubts, though, for some events, but managed to decide. For instance, there is a card in South Church from CotDP expansion which says that the priest is being beaten and that you help him if you got a sacred weapon (cross, and so on). But nothing is said if you don't have anything like that ! So what ? the priest is smashed down while you're looking at it like a lame moron ?!

Hey, Father Michael isn't right in the head, serves him right getting the smack down gran_risa.gif !

Hem said:

And what about this encounter in the Inner Sanctum that says you can go to a location of your choice and drawing two encounters cards to decide which one you keep : can you go to a location with a gate ? (we did so) but then do you pick two other world cards ? (we didn't do so).

You're sucked into the OW. No 2 picks there.

Hem said:

Oh and by the way : we always counted "elder sign cards" (and even the elder old parchment from CotDP) for the "elder signs played" for the victory counting ; but do elder sign tokens played for sealing do count for that too ?! we never did that, but we had a doubt. Cheers, bye !

Even Parchments don't count (they are not a guaranteed success like Unique Item Elder Signs).

Dam said:

Even Parchments don't count (they are not a guaranteed success like Unique Item Elder Signs).

Oh really ? Dam(n), we didn't know ! Well, if you could correct my 21 into a 22, Tibbs, then, ou'd be a pal ! And thanks for the info, Dam.

Dam said:

Nalanthi said:

Well, Swords of Y'ha-talla are exhausted when used, so trading them via Carcosan Page is pretty pointless gui%C3%B1o.gif .

Also, rules specifically state no trading during combat, don't think the Carcosan Page can get around that. You can only trade in the Refresh/Upkeep of final combat because explicitly stated in the rules. For me step 2 of final combat "Investigators Attack" is combat (especially since you do your combat checks during that step).

Quick clarification first: The item we were using the page on was a Sword of Glory.

The swords of Yha-Talla also say "Any Phase" so if we couldn't use the page we couldn't use the swords either, which I think would be a little absurd. The trading rules also say that they only happen during movement which is clearly not true of the page. I don't think the page is really trading but instead some spooky action at a distance mechanic that is very unusual for Arkham.

Nalanthi said:

The trading rules also say that they only happen during movement which is clearly not true of the page. I don't think the page is really trading but instead some spooky action at a distance mechanic that is very unusual for Arkham.

I do personally think CP is trading (thus wouldn't allow use of it during an encounter during a game). Only reason it's not worded trading is because it's a one-sided deal, trading often tends to be a two-way street. Then again, loading up one char with everything (for key OW jaunts or for getting ready to default a Bank Loan) isn't uncommon.

Since someone was asking about them and didn't see them listed. Tibs, would be a hard add-on to include % of final combats that used EB? Maybe also final combat % of wins with and without?

I second the guy who once asked if it was possible to lock the menus up in the window so we don't have to scroll like crazy to check which column it is.

PS : And I recommend that the question "What expansions did you use" should be redone, into something like "What Expansion, if that one, which part, if that one, which part", and so on. Because for instance, we had three rifts tonights swarming on Arkham... but without Kingsport town...

Anyway, I submitted our game of tonight, ****, it was harsh, and we did nothing as we wanted, and failed. But I had some doubts during the game for 2 matters :

I never saw the Concussion card with a 1 Focus character : what does it do ? we played severely : the player could not move his sliders anymore.

I reread the rules while a player has been devoured, and discovered the "keep your unspent monster trophies only, discard all cards". That sentence is lame, that doesn't mention the gate trophies or the money. What about it ? And how come a character would keep his trophies if he's dead... thematically, non sense, but anyway, let s go back to the main question : what about the money and gate trophies ?

Bah. I go to bed. It's sad when you lose your game. 4 doom tokens left on Shub after final battle, it is a bit... frustrating.

Hem said:

I never saw the Concussion card with a 1 Focus character : what does it do ? we played severely : the player could not move his sliders anymore.

Focus 1, then get Focus -1, that's total of 0, no gui%C3%B1o.gif ? So yeah, no sliding anymore.

Hem said:

I reread the rules while a player has been devoured, and discovered the "keep your unspent monster trophies only, discard all cards". That sentence is lame, that doesn't mention the gate trophies or the money. What about it ? And how come a character would keep his trophies if he's dead... thematically, non sense, but anyway, let s go back to the main question : what about the money and gate trophies ?

"In rare cases, investigators may be devoured. The player
immediately discards all of his cards (except unspent
trophies)" (p. 17)

Don't know where you found the mention of only monster trophies. Technically, you could argue that you can keep Clues and money, since they aren't "cards". I've always tossed everything but trophies. It's not thematic at all, case in point, Vincent Lee coming in as a mid-game replacement, since the investigator before him had collected 3 monster trophies, Vinny auto-failed his PS (not that I would've even tried to pass it, but still).

Recently, it appears that Vincent has been my go-to investigator. That is, I draw him when an investigator has been devoured mid-game. Needless to say, he comes in having failed his personal story. That further destroys my perception of him. It's gotten so that I'm almost tempted to try to pass his personal story when it comes up - maybe it's better than we think?

No, I know it's not. I can hope, right? Poor Vincent...

Also, I kinda want to see more post-game effect of personal stories. It'd be too much to list all of the pass/fails here, but maybe they modify score? +1 for each passed story, and -1 for each failed one? It's not official, of course, but I think it would be appropriate.

Thanks Dam for the clarification.

In our games, there is always, always, always Carolyn that is drawn. That's amazing. Always random, yet she always gets out. No explanation. That's pure magic. Look at our Tibs stats : we always do random pick up, yet she always looks like she's in our games !

Hem said:

Thanks Dam for the clarification.

In our games, there is always, always, always Carolyn that is drawn. That's amazing. Always random, yet she always gets out. No explanation. That's pure magic. Look at our Tibs stats : we always do random pick up, yet she always looks like she's in our games !

You should implement "in last game mulligan", which is what I do (for investigator; also for GOOs on the rare occasion the rotation change would give the same GOO two games in a row). If X was in the previous game, re-draw if X is drawn. That way, no investigator is in two games in a row, most common you can get is: 1st game with X, 2nd game no X, 3rd game with X and so on. The mulligan also applies to mid-game replacements.

Pretty good idea, although I'll be able to implement that house rule only with the same friends if they happen to play twice in a row. But ok, thanks for the advice !

By the way, you omniscient you : you didn't appear EVERYWHERE, since I still have no answer from anybody nor YOU on a... very rarely crowded topic not far from here ! Hehe...

Cheers

Hem said:

By the way, you omniscient you : you didn't appear EVERYWHERE, since I still have no answer from anybody nor YOU on a... very rarely crowded topic not far from here ! Hehe...

Have to point me in the right direction then. If it's a game not listed in my collection, I don't visit the forums, since I don't then own and play said game. If it is in a forum I visit, probably got lost in the sheer quantity of sp..., posts lengua.gif .