Meta-Sota: The (Cam-) Bridge of Skulls

By JerusalemJones, in 7. AGoT Metagame Discussions

So Life continues to be unfair and I will not be able to attend on Tuesday due to the fact that my day off that week is now Wednesday and I have to close monday and tuesday....

Khal Viper said:

So Life continues to be unfair and I will not be able to attend on Tuesday due to the fact that my day off that week is now Wednesday and I have to close monday and tuesday....

weak sauce dude.

I think it sucks that you have to rearrange your schedule for your boss, but the courtesy doesn't go both ways.

Well it wasnt truly rearranged he did the schedule a week ago which i knew about but i didnt know about FFG coming up and i didnt take to mind my day off being wednesday

Ah the Good Ole games... Joes Martel deck VS my LannI shadows deck I start out slowhe gets to 13 powerso by the 6th plot I put up a wallwe basically do nothing for 8 more plots as I continually valor to get rid of his Viper with 2 tastes of blood on it because if I win 1 challenge against him he will claim 2 powerwin plus if I lose he will claim renown so anyways I valor he has Red Viper I have Tyrion I match his flops for the next few plotsso to make sure His Viper will have to Kneel...Plots recycle again I flip Valor he flips Power of Blood... I was crushed... I did draw my whole deck though

Just wanted to remind everyone that this Saturday and Sunday is our Game of Thrones weekend.

Satruday at noon is the LCG Joust, $10 entry. Prizes include the A Song of Ice and Fire Art Book Volume 2, an art print of Jaime Lannsiter ont he Iron Throne signed by GRRM, a full-art deck box, power counters and pins.

Saturday at 6pm,a fter the Joust, will be the Hand of the King event. Entry for this is $5 per person, free if you played in the Joust. The first 8 players will receive a HOTK rules board, and the winner gets an exclusive plaque.

Sunday we're playing the board game.

Contact me if you have any questions!

With that print up, I'd almost consider skipping out on Mtg Regionals for that. Ugh.... Ah well, At least I'll get to enjoy the show finally this weekend.

I think I'm starting to lose my interest in competitive thrones (terrible thing to write just hours before my own tournament). I'm not interested in Jaime builds, and it seems that's what people are building more and more often. I liked the game more when I had fun playing, as opposed to working hard to beat my opponent. Or, as is more common lately, just giving up when I realize there is nothing I can do for the rest of the game to win, except hope my opponent screws up.

Maybe I need to take a break from the game.

JerusalemJones said:

I think I'm starting to lose my interest in competitive thrones (terrible thing to write just hours before my own tournament). I'm not interested in Jaime builds, and it seems that's what people are building more and more often. I liked the game more when I had fun playing, as opposed to working hard to beat my opponent. Or, as is more common lately, just giving up when I realize there is nothing I can do for the rest of the game to win, except hope my opponent screws up.

Maybe I need to take a break from the game.

sad.gif

I think the game is better now for non-Jaimies with the restricted list, but I will agree there are still balance issues that persist in the game. I know several people that feel/felt the way you do and they stopped playing Thrones because of it. It's why i've been vocal on the errata/banning of certain cards for competitive play. I find most players are Shaggas and Neds at heart (even those with Jamie blood) and it's a shame they can't enjoy the competitive game because of balance issues. That said, the competitive game is better with the restricted list. It's not the best it can be, but it is better.

Sadly we are not as cutthroat as we used to be (atleast most of us) seems the last time we were was back before it moved to LCG then we lost 1/2 of our meta though most have come back (me included) I personally still only enjoy playing the game through the Melee aspect though some people claim it is a poor mans version... doesnt matter how good your deck is if you dont know how to socially play you will not win.

What I think is happening is that I am moving father away from killer decks (which, really, was never my strong suit) towards themed decks and the like. Which means when I play against people who are out for the win, unless my deck overperforms or theirs underperforms, I don't really do well, and don't enjoy the game. To be fair, I played against Nate French three times Saturday, went 1-2, and enjoyed all three games (two of them were my Chosen Few deck against the Stark Shadows deck he was played yesterday, as he wanted to see how it worked from the designer's perspective). So who knows, maybe it is just losing games to the same person over and over again that is getting to me.

Whatever the reason, I don't think it's likely that I will ever stop playing the game until I run out of opponents. I do enjoy it, and I enjoy friendly competition. As long as the compeition is friendly and enjoyable, I'll keep playing.

Thanks for letting me vent. :)

If I ever get the chance, I'm going to make All for Joffrey as my Champion card.

All for Joffrey (unique character, neutral)

Cost 0, STR 0, no icons or crests

Trait: Peasant

Keywords: No Attachments

All for Joffrey must be targeted by any kill or discard effect that chooses a character that you control, and must be chosen for MIL claim.

Flavor Text: A smiley old man mended their clothing and babbled about his
son, off serving in the gold cloaks at King's Landing. "A king's
man, he is," he would say, "a good king's man like me, all for
Joffrey." He said it so often the other captives began to call him
All-for-Joffrey whenever the guards weren't listening. All-for-
Joffrey was picked on the fifth day.

Bueller.

Bueller.

Bueller.

i'll probably be up either Wednesday or Thursday this week. you gonna be around for a game jj?

man you need to post on our forums... but I believe Rhonda is coming up on Wednesday I will also be there as will steve and brad so if no Rhonda it could be a nice melee game

sounds like a great game , i'm tempted .

Just wanted to shout out to JerusalemJones, The Nick-ler, and the other players who showed up at The Gamer's Den last night.

Thanks for the hospitality, the games, and for putting up with a newbie. ; )

Papa Khann

Papa Khann said:

Just wanted to shout out to JerusalemJones, The Nick-ler, and the other players who showed up at The Gamer's Den last night.

Thanks for the hospitality, the games, and for putting up with a newbie. ; )

Papa Khann

anytime ser. you're picking up the game quickly. with a few more games under your belt, i think you have the ability to do well.

Thanks, Nick-ler! It was fun.

I look forward to being beaten down by you again. Hopefully soon, as I've picked up some more cards and have a few ideas on how to tweak my decks. ; )

Papa Khann

Last night was fun, even if I didn't make it until frakking late (thanks Brad for running the store for us).

Should have run my Greyjoy deck for the melee. I might have won. Or else dropped Valar that last turn like I thought about (except I really want to make Dany a dragon). If I every actually make my deck the way I want to (instead of just throwing cards together and taking out what doesn't work) then beware the deck.

Papa Khann, you're welcome back anytime. Tuesdays are generally best, though.

Hi JJ,

Thanks. I'm sure I'll be motivated for the drive up again one of these Tuesdays. ; )

Do any of you "northern" players ever make it down to the FFG:EC?

Papa

I don't, but that's because I have a store to run. :)

Nick-ler is down there, so he doesn't really count. Khal Viper once or twice could make it, but when he's free on Saturdays he comes here. Otherwise, I don't think many of us make it there except in rare occurances.

Last night we got in two melee games (and Brad and I got in two joust games). It was fun. My Targ Dragons deck went 2-2 for the night, winning one of each games. The second melee game I likely would have won (and definitely would have won, if there was the traditional time limit). The Joust game I lost I tried out Heir to the Iron Throne, but found that not being able to do a challenge was not worth the additional power challenge (it only paid off when I had Dany and Dragons in play).

The problem is I have to shrink the deck by 8 cards, so i can add 3-4 cards. The deck definitely needs either Nightmares or Milk of the Poppy, and perhaps a copy of The Hand's Judgement or two. Or maybe Narrow Escape, though it runs alot of saves for the dragons (3 of the adults, 2 of the shadow hatchling and Balerion). In fact, the second game I never once had to pay gold for the big dragons, getting them in play with either influence or Dragon Lore. So I like the resource curve I have going.

It's is pretty solid, maybe not top tier, but definitely can give a run for it's money. If I just had more ways to save my Dany (or keep from having Maegi's Promise discarded from my hand).

JerusalemJones said:

Last night we got in two melee games (and Brad and I got in two joust games). It was fun. My Targ Dragons deck went 2-2 for the night, winning one of each games. The second melee game I likely would have won (and definitely would have won, if there was the traditional time limit). The Joust game I lost I tried out Heir to the Iron Throne, but found that not being able to do a challenge was not worth the additional power challenge (it only paid off when I had Dany and Dragons in play).

The problem is I have to shrink the deck by 8 cards, so i can add 3-4 cards. The deck definitely needs either Nightmares or Milk of the Poppy, and perhaps a copy of The Hand's Judgement or two. Or maybe Narrow Escape, though it runs alot of saves for the dragons (3 of the adults, 2 of the shadow hatchling and Balerion). In fact, the second game I never once had to pay gold for the big dragons, getting them in play with either influence or Dragon Lore. So I like the resource curve I have going.

It's is pretty solid, maybe not top tier, but definitely can give a run for it's money. If I just had more ways to save my Dany (or keep from having Maegi's Promise discarded from my hand).

did you add caches?

Actually, no. So, yes, draw is still an issue. Part of me wants to flip out some plots for the search ones (character and location). Getting Mereen out to bosot my draw is a bonus, and I almost always search for it if someone plays Building Season. I also considered adding King Viserys to my deck (if nothing else, he IS a king). The problem is deciding what to cut to bring in other cards, and does it make it worth it.

Jon was trying to build a neutral maesters decks, taking advantage of Hollow Hill for card draw (and it worked pretty well) except he kept trying not to win challenges to keep power off his House Card to ignore the gold penalties. I think that was a mistake. I'm also not sure if he remembered he had to pay the gold penalty on Devious Intentions, as Neutral doesn't give reductions on non-character cards. But his idea is solid, maybe not top tier, but strong none-the-less, and can get better with some work.