Meta-Sota: The (Cam-) Bridge of Skulls

By JerusalemJones, in 7. AGoT Metagame Discussions

Hooray -- forums mark 3.

Well, the Meta-Sota thread has come back again. This thread is for all of Minnesota, but is mostly centered around the Cambridge Meta, and The Gamers Den.

Upcoming bits:

Kevin "Ktom" Tomczak (hope I spelled it correctly) will be here on Tuesday, November 25th to play Thrones with us.

Nate "Ser Axel Rose"/"FFGNate" French will be coming up on Saturday, November 29th the play Thrones with us.

Hopefully organized play will kick off in January, especially the storyline leagues.

And, totally OT, but is anyone else really, REALLY looking forward to Android? A cyberpunk game designed by Kevin "Arkham Horror" Wilson? I so totally want this game in my hands now, even more than BSG -- which totally rocks, btw.

Word n' stuff. I'll be there on tuesday.

Hmm. I better come up with a decent deck by then....

Unfortunately i will not be there On Tuesday stupid meeting... But i will be there Saturday woot!

JerusalemJones said:

Nate "Ser Axel Rose"/"FFGNate" French will be coming up on Saturday, November 29th the play Thrones with us.

And, totally OT, but is anyone else really, REALLY looking forward to Android? A cyberpunk game designed by Kevin "Arkham Horror" Wilson? I so totally want this game in my hands now, even more than BSG -- which totally rocks, btw.

I'll be coming too!

And if you're looking forward to Android, it's with good reason. That game is the hotness, sir. The hotness.

Morgan, you should convince JR (and perhaps yourself?) to show up at the Den this Sunday with a copy so we can play. gran_risa.gif I am an even bigger cyberpunk freak than a Game of Thrones freak, and I want this game so badly, it almost hurts. A few weeks ago I was telling Nick how I was working on a cyberpunk version of Arkham, using that game's engine. I might still do it (I love rpgs, and want to run cpunk so badly, but I don't have the time). Android is either going to calm my cpunk itch, or throw it into full bown overload!

haha. Five posts, and I've gone completely OT.

JerusalemJones said:

Morgan, you should convince JR (and perhaps yourself?) to show up at the Den this Sunday with a copy so we can play. gran_risa.gif I am an even bigger cyberpunk freak than a Game of Thrones freak, and I want this game so badly, it almost hurts. A few weeks ago I was telling Nick how I was working on a cyberpunk version of Arkham, using that game's engine. I might still do it (I love rpgs, and want to run cpunk so badly, but I don't have the time). Android is either going to calm my cpunk itch, or throw it into full bown overload!

haha. Five posts, and I've gone completely OT.

JR will be out of town this Sunday, and I would, but I'd prefer not to lose my job this week. Android is meant to be mysterious for a reason! Maybe after the rules are posted and it's out to distributors or something, but definitely not this week. Screw losing my job, I'd be hanged! Drawn and quartered! Burned at the stake! You really don't like me, do you?! And JR has already died for this game, you know? This is really an unfair position to put him in...

What time will y'all be starting tonight? We'll be trekking up after work, so of course will be there somewhat late.

I'll try and be around on Saturday, but I'm not sure on that.

The Red Woman said:

What time will y'all be starting tonight? We'll be trekking up after work, so of course will be there somewhat late.

I was personally shooting for the 6pm timeframe. I'm assuming Joe will be lounging around behind the counter by then.

Thanks again for coming out everyone. It was a lot of fun to play against someone other than Sheik.

Tuesday was much fun. I was able to beat Nate again, but then lost two straight to ktom. Nothing like and Ambush deck that a) has to deal with 5KE King's Landing on the flop and b) can't find influence. Losing those two games, though, taught me that I need a search plot (bye bye ORW, hello BjC) and that High Tide is the new Frozen Solid. Location control and hate is still a undervalued commodity in this game, and is always worth running ooh.

Saturday night on Brad showed up (well, Jens showed up at 9, as I was closing). We played thre games -- he tried out his Targ melee deck, which wasnt the greatest in joust as it runs many of the new melee plots. I pulled all the Winter Block cards out of my Greyjoy deck and threw in LCG cards, making my first stab at a Winter deck. Two White Ravens, a couple Ice Fishermen, SaltWives, the WInter-themed locations, and the Winds of Winter plot (which replaced Muster the Realm). Still used Kings of Salt and Rock, so no Carrion Birds. Deck worked okay, and my gold curve was manageable, but the second game we forgot about the -1 gold during Winter -- though, to be fair, we always had a least one extra gold each marshalling after the season changed.

I won all three games. The Targ deck couldn't put it together, but looked like it could do what it needed to in melee. The next two he ran his stark deck. I was able to amass power rather quickly, and actually feared playing my reset as I had strong board position all game. The second game I thought Brad had me for sure. On turn four I played Winter Storm, and had ITE Euron, ITE Asha (wih a hooked trident) a d 5KE Balon in play; Brad had five characters, including Eddard Stark, Roderick Cassell, and three others. He marshalled an Icy Catapault on Roderick (I knelt Asha to play the Hooked Trident on her, making her immune to Icy Catapault). After WS went off, it was my two characters to his 3. By the end of the round, Ihad no characters in play, 4 power on my house, and Brad still had his three characters, 5 power on his house and 6 on Eddard. I figured the game was over.

Round 5 I played Winds of Winter. It was not winter. I had three cards in my hand, and drew into the White Raven and Fishing Net. I netted an Icy Fisherman with my Pyromancer's Cache, and had a salt wife in my hand and another character. I was able to drop the Raven (hurting his characters), the Net on Eddard (Fishing Net is the BOMB) and my two characters, barely. Somehow I managed to survive the turn.

The only reason I won this game was by dropping Brads deck to 0 cards, via my one Whirlpool in play, Here is my Husband, Veteran Looters and the like. I even remembered to trigger Euron when I had him out. By this point I had cards, characters, and he was down to nothing. He conceeded the game since he had two cards in hand and needed 8 power to win, which wasn't going to happen anymore.

Good games.

Im not going to be coming up tonight not feeling the greatest cya on Saturday

Weak sauce. I've been sick for the past month, and I always show up.

Just Dan and I again. I won the first game, though to be fair he was playing a Westeros Baratheon starter deck, out of the box. With 9 plots. He smoked me the second game. Has a new Nate inspired Lannsiter deck -- used ORW first turn to grab Bran stark. I was gold screwed the entire game, and when I played Empty the Vaults turn two he Bran'ed into Blockade. I could never recover.

Saturday night we did an impromptu draft with the boxes that Jon and I bought on the $25 sale. It was Jon, Jens, Brad, Nick and myself. I drafted straight-up Bara, Jens was Greyjoy/Targ (only so he could use Ambush), Jon was Bara/Stark, Brad was Lanni and NIck was Martell/Stark. We decided to do a single melee match, and it lasted about 2 - 2-1/2 hours, and I believe 10 plots. Fortified position was flipped in over half of those rounds, and I pulled an Outfox that I played turn 2. I kept going on the see-saw of power -- up to 11, down to 6, up to 10, down to 7. In the last few rounds, NIck and Jon were making a realy god show of things -- both were at 18 power at one point.

Jens was Whirlpool crazy, and managed to deck out everybody else. Brad was down to a handful of characters on the board, and the last turn had only 5KE Tywin. I had some characters, and Jon was lucky having a Stalwart character at the end. There were two ITE VIctarions in play, and Jens got Naval Support on his, so he managed to steal lots of resource locations. HIs Whirlpools hit my Nightfire Convert and Jon's High Tide.

On the final round, NIck was going first and only needed 3 power to win. Jens supported Brad, and Nick wasn't able to get enough unopposed challenges through thanks to Jens defending. Then it was my turn. I got all three of my challenges unopposed againt Brad -- who was my enemy. 5 power later, I won the game. I didn't see it coming until after Nick's last challenge and realized that I had the game. There was quite a bit of frustration afterwards, but man was it fun.

We're probably going to do another draft this Saturday night as well. Bear in mind that the drafters don't get to keep the cards that Jon and I are putting up for the draft. But folks are welcome to show up and play.

Of course, if folks want to bring a prize of some sort, there might be something to play for besides the honor of the win.

If you decide to come try to provide your own supplemental draft pack so we can speed things up it was the most fun ive had in thrones in a long time! we probably have enough cards for like 5 more 6 ppl drafts :)

SIgh -- nearly three weeks since the last post. What has become of us. Lazy, I guess.

Well, Saturday night is going to be when we start hosting weekly events again. This Saturday is an LCG only Joust. I've started to tweak and LCG deck, and I know it has issues, but I'll deal with them during play and development.

The League starts officially next Wednesday. I guess I need to contact Rick N at FFG about paying for the Kit. I'd like the participants to pre-pay for their League Core Sets and Chapter Packs, so I know how many, and which ones, to order. I still intend to play Martell for the League. It is going to suck, but I an adamant about Martell being represented in the league somehow. Greyjoy might be an easier build, but I am sticking to my guns. I am going to get A Song of Summer for my Martell deck, and possibly Ancient Enemies. Or else Sacred Bonds and try to trade for Fury of the Sun.

To the Only Game that Matters!

I will be playing Bara tomorrow and Stark in the league

That's funny. I went with Bara for tomorrow night as well. I dry ran the deck a few times, and I know I am not happy with it, but I'll still play it and see what happens.

I figure with Martell in the League I'll want to run a few Targ cards, as I can always sacrifice my ONE SEA to ignore the gold penalty. So, once the league starts, I'll be more than willing to trade for another Sunset Sea or two!

There were only three of us last night -- Khal Viper, Slio9 and myself. KV played Bara-Winter, Slio9 Targ-Summer and myself just Bara (all LCG Only). KV beat us both, and I beat Slio9. None of the decks were that great, but then again we'd only been building them for a few days (or minutes, in the case of Slio9). I think I can enhance my deck better with a few key replacement cards. I need to look at my character vs. non-character ratio, but feel the deck has some promise at this point.

Oh man, It's over now. I've got my Martell LCG deck at near full power and it's ready to roll!

Anyway, I'll be around on Tuesday before I head back down to Winona, so I hope a few people are around for some games, I've got a lot of near decks sitting around that haven't gotten much use.

hey, all you cambridge players. i changed my username. anyone gonna play this saturday the jan 10? i might be able to come on up for my monthly outing. i even updated my targ deck, my bara deck and tossed together a greyjoy deck.

hello. i don't want to drive the whole way and have no one be there!

hello?

hello? anyone gonna be there today? hello? at 6 pm?

sad face.

Well, unless you really wanted to play against me, you didn't waste your time. Jon had to work all night, Seth was in long enough for him and I to get in a league game, and no one else showed. I'm always willing to play, but that's a long way to drive just for one opponent.

I'm not always on on Fridays, so that's why I didn't post. Hopefully you can show up again soon.