Meta-Sota: The (Cam-) Bridge of Skulls

By JerusalemJones, in 7. AGoT Metagame Discussions

Oh, I'll admit that my deck has holes. Big holes. The gold curve sucks if I don't get the right locations, it has Shagga written all over it, and in the current environment Valar can be nasty. In fact, that was one of Seth's mistakes. On the first turn I wiped his entire board clean, and he (for some reason) locked Drogon back into my hand. And then played Valar. WTF? Strange

So things I would change would be adding more TBADragons (I think I run one, and a total of 4 or 5 events). I'd like to switch my plots somewhat, as my only reset is Winter Storm -- which actually does help me often. But each plot is in there for a reason, though Don't Wake the Dragon seems to be less useful for Drogon kneel, but good at helping the killing burn.

ANd I should run the Reinforcements cards. DOn't have them in front of me, but playing them does count as a character coming into play to trigger the dragons, right?

Rhaegal could be eliminated, but he is cheap, effective, and works off the strategy of the deck. And I can also stand deadly Drogon or any of my characters who obtained the Dragon trait.

When this deck works, it works great. When it fails, it fails miserably.

Hey, if anyone besides me still checks this thread, I'm holding a Standard format event on July 11th for the Martell pin. There is an announcement in the OP section of the boards.

Hey guys -

Do y'all play with any sort of regularity on a day besides Saturday? I work every Saturday, but would love to come up and play with y'all. I have a new player that's been begging to play with some other people, assuming they're willing to go a little easy on him. gran_risa.gif

Geez, Morgan posts in my meta thread and I don't notice it for 2 weeks. Guess I just figured noone came here but me anymore.

We still play casually on Tuesdays, when the mood strikes us. I almost always at the store on Tuesdays, and Brad or Seth sow up if they aren't working. I'll galdly play some games, as I've really fallen behind in deck design and games played. We actually had 4 for the Martell event last weekend (yea! a real tournament!) and there is some talk about being open some Sundays.

I'm looking forward to the release of the Greyjoy expansion. I want to make my deck LCG legal, but I lke the Greyjoy winter theme. The deck itself is still hit or miss, but when it fires it goes kill crazy! And I'm pretty sure if the Martell expansion is as good as I hope it should bring back some of the lapsed players. We had a lot of Martell fans up here, and their absense from the game has been hard to take for some of us.

This SAturday night at 6pm (Aug 8th) we'll be holding a LCG tournament where the prize will be the Stark Pin.

Also, I will be ordering the new GoT League kit shortly, so the new league will be starting...now! $4 to enter. If I get enough players I will order a second kit, if able.

bump and stuff... i guess.

**** it, I wanted someone to actually post. Besides me.

Well, in the last week I've gone 1-4 in games. Thursday night I played Seth 3 times, and the first two games -- with 2 different "standard" decks -- he walked all over me. The third game was a Martell v Martell match which was incredibly close. On turn six I flooded the board with characters, as I finally got my gold engine moving and made a strong push. Turn 7 he played Valar. Who the hell plays Valar as thier 7th plot? He ended up winning that one, but at least I felt I had a chacne in that game.

Yesterday I went 1-1 playing two games against Brad -- his Greyjoy LCG v my Bara LCG. Both games were lopsided, and I know things I can improve on my deck. He made a play mistake the final round, but I don't think it would have changed the game any. At least it felt good to win a game again.

Well Meta-sota players (and lurkers):

I finally placed the order for the LCG storyline kit. We'll run a six-seven week constructed league, ending just after Thanksgiving starting next week. Full details will be worked out, but I expect it will revolve around points earned in matches for getting Melee Champion votes and the other swag from the kit. I'll keep you posted...and I intend to play Thrones on the 13th!

Hello everyone,

I am new to AGoT (a recent convert from MTG), and I am relatively close to the Cambridge area. Right now I am a total newb. But, over the next few weeks I will be learning to play, and after I feel confident in my basic abilities, will likely want to play with other more experienced players.

I posted in the General AGoT forum as to why I am burned out with MTG.

So, hello everyone! I am also trying to encourage a few other friends who are suffering from MTG burnout to try AGoT for a while.

Welcome to the area, and the boards! We've mostly been playing on Tuesday nights, though this Tuesday we're playing the GoT board game, but we might be able to find the time to play a game or two before it starts though I don't know if I open or close yet at my normal job on Tuesday, which willmake a big difference, for me at least.

Hope to see you at the store!

Oh, and for anyone reading this, I'll be starting the second Storyline League officially on Oct. 27th.

Thanks for the welcome!

I only have the core set right now, and that is all that I will likely have for the next couple of months. I know that to be competitive I will need to have 3x of many cards, and also many cards from expansions and chapter packs.

Is there ever AGoT core set tournaments?

Or some type of limited play where all that is used is say - core set and one or two chapter packs?

Trust me, we won't beat you down. Only a few of us buy 3 of every chapter pack - and I don't include myself in that number. I've only bought one Core Set myself. And we can help you with deck building as well.

I am closing tomorrow, so I won't make it to the store until about 6pm, but Brad should be there earlier, and I know he'd help out if you can make it. As for tournaments, I doubt we'd do just a Core Set event we're all glad to finally have a large pool of cards for LCG, I don't think anyone would want to go back. But we can also help set you up with extra commons.

Does Gamer's Den sell AGoT singles? What are the best places to pick up some singles for reasonable prices. And, I really have no perspective on the matter, since I have never looked. What does a playset of a card that is widely considered 'good' on a competitive level usually sell for.

With MTG cards, commons are usually .05 - .25, uncommons usually .50 - 2.00, and rares range from $1.00 - $30.00 per card.

We do sell singles, though mostly from the ccg days. Commons are .25, uncommons .50 and rares are $1 and up. Most rares are in the $1-$4 range, with a few high dollar cards (Valar Morghulis is an $8 card, even reprinted in the Core Set when we have one).

For stuff from the chapter packs I usually go .25 for the common (x3) cards and $3 each for the rare (x1) cards. With the chapter packs, it is always a better deal to buy multiples unless you are looking for only one or two particular cards. And since there is so little market for the LCG cards, I have to price them higher to recoop the costs of splitting up a CP.

Since you're coming up from the Minneapolis area, give me a heads up so I can let the other players know when you're showing. I assume that weekdays are kinda out of the question for you. Maybe one of the sundays next month might be a good time for us to all get together and play.

I am being crushed with scholastic responsibilities right now, so I won't be able to come up for a little while. I will for sure be up during the Winter school break. And, by then I may have some more cards, and also be better at the game in general. I have played MTG for quite a while, so I am not starting completely from scratch as far as CCG/LCG knowledge goes. Many of the mechanics of the game are very similar. But, AGoT is far more fun in my opinion.

And, I know for sure that two of my good friends are also converting from MTG to AGoT, after some subtle prodding. :)

We're starting our third week of league play, and currently we only have 3 player much like the first league lol. Seth won week one, I won week two, and Seth is now leading week 3 (ends on next Tuesday). After playing his Lannister kneel deck, I need to make a few tweaks though getting up to 9 power against him with minimal characters is nothing to scoff at, but I do need to find a way to thwart Lanni kneel. Or work around it.

Correction: there was a tie between Seth and I week two, and I won both weeks 3 and 4. I have to say I love my Greyjoy deck, but now Seth only wants to play Lanni against it, and that is where the deck is falling short. Perhaps some Cannot be bought, cannot be bribed?

We're starting up our next League this week at the Gamers Den. Again, the entry fee is $5, and it wil luse the same scoring system as last time. WE're in the first week, and it will be 8 weeks long. Trying to come up with some other prizes this time around, too. We'll see what options I have.

I'm looking at doing a semi-major GoT event on Saturday, April 10th, either at Noon or 3pm. If it looks like it might just be local players, I'll probably schedule this for later afternoon, but if there are travelers who would rather play at noon (or if we want to allow travelers to show up, just now sure what sort of travelers ro expect), I have no problem setting it for noon. Noon appears to work best for the largest possible audience, but 3 works best for the local scene, if for no other reason than we do Warhammer Invasion tournaments at noon, and most of us play that game as well but we could always skip playing W:I for a week.

If you have any opionion, let me know. I want to set a firm date and time before the end of the month, and the sooner the better.

Starting in four weeks we're going to do some Saturday night Thrones tournaments, in prep for the Regionals at the Events Center. These events will take place at 6pm, go three rounds swiss, possibly playoffs if enough people attend. I'll order a league kit so we have pins and counters as prizes, or else we can award a chapter pack. There will be a $3 entry fee for these events.

The first one is March 27th, the second is April 10th.

Also, we are still doing the leagues, and will likely start a new one in April (there are 2 weeks left in the current league). But "casual" play is still taking place.

Okay, just want to let anyone actually paying attention know that there really ARE players at my store, and I am not insane. Though I do feel like I am talking to myself.

We are wrapping up the third league this week, and will take off the rest of March until we start the next one. The league kit I got for this league was sadly exactly the same as the last one. I love the power counters, and wish we got more of them. But there are no surprises.

There will be two tournaments, on on Sat March 27th and the other Sat, APril 10th both at 6pm for GoT. Entry fee is $3 per player. I'l have some decent prizes to give away. Let's prep up for Regionals. Which I have a shot at attending.

Me and a few friends will probably come up to Cambridge and play sometime after the school year ends. I love AGoT, and so do my friends. We all used to play MTG competitively, until it began to simply cost too much. The sets come out too often, and they are simply too expensive.

I only have the Core Set, and Kings of the Sea right now, so I need to get some more cards first also. The Core Set decks have 52 cards to a deck I think? How many should I have for competitive play, 60?

Also, the KoTS expansion...how am I supposed to play with the new house? There doesn't seem to be enough cards to make a deck of it. There are some nice cards to add to the other decks, but not enough for a deck of all Greyjoy. What do I do?

We mostly play Tuesday nights, and the occasional Saturdays usually afternoons, and usually casually. Tomorrow night we have a tournament, but only because several of us are going to regionals in two weeks. Otherwise we've been more focused lately on league and casual play (though they're nothing casual when you want to hit your opponent for wiping out your board...um, I mean, I'm Gandhi, there's no violence).

Don't be disparaged over only having one KotS set. Slot in the right cards and you'll be fine. You really need a few other CPS cards Sacred Bonds for sure, since "To Be a Kraken" is by far the best cancel in the game, and it only comes one to a CP. If you don't have Fury of the Kraken, I should have at least one extra, or someone up here would have one. Pick up The Winds of Winter CP too you can make it winter, which lets you trigger some other nasty abilities from that CP, and a few others in that cycle. We're got too winter Greyjoy decks up here, and they are winning a storm (except when Bara power rush totally kicks in, but I've even seen that deck held at bay).

We can also help you with deck building. Many of us have bought 2 or 3 of the CPs to date, so of the "common cards" we might be able to find extras to let you use or have. But often you can get by with only a single copy of each CP and come this summer, all CPS will come with playsets of all the cards, so that will make it easier to collect and build as well.

Looking forward to meeting you and getting in a few games.

So we're now in our next season of the league. I'll be picking up the league kits next week or the week after (but hopefully this monday).

Everything works the same as the last two leagues, except now we will be using the Achievements as well. The player with the most achievements will get second prize pick, and could be the same player as the league winner. Considering how sweet the current prizes are (playmat, power counters, league pins), this is one prize pool to be a part of.

Greetings!

I have obviously not made it up to Cambridge to play yet. Life has been pretty hectic as of late. But, the good news is that my summer schedule should be a bit more relaxed now, and I should be able to come up and play sometime soon.

The other good news is that, as a gift, a friend gave me a TON of AGoT cards. So, now I can actually build decks that are good enough to compete.

How is the AGoT Cambridge Meta lately?