Sifting through Shadows >> A preview of upcoming Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay titles

By ynnen, in WFRP Archived Announcements

Gavius Klugge, our notorious guide through the world of shadows has gone missing! Just this past year, his knowledge and mysterious powers to sift through the shadows revealed glimpses of the future. Now that Gavius Klugge is nowhere to be found, it is up to Hilde Kramer, a Celestial Wizard, and Gerard Dahlmer, a Priest of Morr to work together to read the signs and portents and determine what is to come.

Perhaps with their insights, you will be able to unravel the mystery surrounding Herr Klugge’s disappearance, or at the least, uncover valuable information about what the future has in store. Head to our support page and download Sifting though Shadows , a preview of the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay products coming your way in the next year!

Amazing! The hardcovers will be brilliant for GMs; I've often wanted a single resource to reference and plan adventures. Also seems to be a lower cost entry point for single players wishing to jump in.

Plus, WFRP's first and long-anticipated dwarf supplement!

I just want to say thanks to ynnen and the FFG WFRP crew for their excellent work. It is *very* obvious that they are listening to the forums and taking into consideration what various people are saying. I can see in these upcoming products resolution to issues that have been brought up here on the forums by people who were disliking or are unsure of how WFRP fits for them. Just a few points to highlight this:

1) Hard cover books

2) Means to play easily without components

3) Means to easily add additional players

4) Monsters having their own cards

5) Lesser magic

6) Non-human magic (well, dwarf runecasters are on par with this)

While I personally don't feel strongly about *needing* anything of these, they really round out the game. I expect that I will buy most if not all of them because they are USEFUL, even for someone like me who is pleased with the original offering. Hopefully these products will entice those on the fence to come over. FFG really does listen, and in a relatively short time has planned many excellent products in direct response to fan suggestions.

Kudos again guys! and Thanks!

Ynnen,

You're looking to pull me back in, aren't you!

Three hardcover books and the means to play the game without components! Well, the crazy dice are still there, but that's not bad by itself. Darn it, it's like you're listening to my thoughts! I'm glad I hung around for a bit before forsaking 3e completely.

I like the hardcover format with the option to purchase the components separately. That's a smart business decision.

If I were to purchase the hardcover guides and the vaults, would that cover everything in the Core box?

You guys do put out high quality products and I am intrigued to see how this works out. Looks like you'll be getting my money again soon! gui%C3%B1o.gif

dvang said:

1) Hard cover books

2) Means to play easily without components

3) Means to easily add additional players

4) Monsters having their own cards

5) Lesser magic

6) Non-human magic (well, dwarf runecasters are on par with this)

Definitely all things that I have complained about wanting, and it looks like it will happen. Number 4 is a huge boon, followed by Number 2. This is exciting news!

I love that game, and I really enjoy that commercial policy relaunch. I do my best to GM a lot of adventures with differents people to let them discover WFRP3. And we all felt disappointed, like many folks around here, about the supplement content (the adventurer and GM toolkit were expendable, the GM screen is nice but so useless on the GM side)...

PLAYER'S VAULT (relaunch book) : update rulebook. Hard cover. Basic cards and sheets for a new player. What people was asking for. Great Decision. And that is a good the gamer can easily identify. Player handbook.

GM'S VAULT (relaunch book) : Tome of adventure+mysteries+blessings in one hard big book for GM, not 3 small magazines. Great decision again. Easy to identify, with a true useful content... Maybe it could also contain the GM toolkit book (adventure ideas, more rules, more ideas on tracker).

CREATURE'S VAULT (relaunch book or only new creatures ?) : A bestiary is a long waited book on each game. And here are Beast Card ! we won't have to photocopy the Tome of Adventure (I don't want to destroy the binding by keeping this small book open). A great addition... Will there be cards for the existing creature from Tome of Adventure ? Winds of Change ? maybe TGS ? Wiill these card contain the 4 "beasts special action" from ToA ?

PRIEST SUPPLEMENT + 2nd RUINOUS POWER (Nurgle) : I don't like that blending. Yeepee for the priest beside that ! I would have prefer more ranks in priest careers (same for wizards in Winds of Change) and aside, a full Chaos Rulebook. I expect an adventure as good as Wind of Change from the Magic Supplement (it was an EXCELLENT classic adventure).

DWARF SUPPLEMENT : That is great. It seems we won't have the Black Fire Pass adventure in pdf so... we'll have to wait until Spring 2011 :) I really enjoy that it will be a full logical supplement. All about dwarves including tech and magical runes.

ADVENTURE : in Marienburg, a new area... and maybe stuffs about high elves there. All my players really enjoy the official WFRP adventure and, as a GM, I have a lot of fun acting all those flavoured and not always story useful NPCs. That is SO MUCH warhammer.

Thumbs up and hat down to all the WFRP Team for that 2nd stand.

As I think you've been quite listening to all of us, WFRP players from differents gaming origins and from different countries, I shall thank you for being human, not brainless cashhunters, and concerned about your products.

I'll just chime in and agree with the others. It's really amazing stuff you have planned! And it truly proves that FFG cares a lot about the opinions of their customers. The repackaging of the core rules is just what the game needs at the moment to keep attracting new people.

The only thing I'm missing is more rules/info on social encounters, but I guess they have to save something for the last Ruinous power product (coming out Fall 2011 perhaps?).

Bizarre, a game company that appears to listen to its fans. I wonder if it will catch on? Only one complaint - why leave Slaanesh until last? Surely he's the coolest of the Chaos gods and maybe the one thats most fun to weave into a campaign.

The guides are a great idea. There are a number of people on the fence because of the components, and this is just what they need.

As someone who loves the current game, though, what do the guides and vaults provide for us? Are the vaults just for people new to the game, or are they aimed for everyone? How much new material is in the guides? Are they an either/or product, or do you need to buy both? (for example, the Creature Guide has all the fluff on the monsters, while the Creature Vault has the cards.)

I am excited by all of the new products, especially these:

Dwarfs

War / Khorne

Monster Books

very cool FFG. Keep up the good work.

Doc, the Weasel said:

The guides are a great idea. There are a number of people on the fence because of the components, and this is just what they need.

As someone who loves the current game, though, what do the guides and vaults provide for us? Are the vaults just for people new to the game, or are they aimed for everyone? How much new material is in the guides? Are they an either/or product, or do you need to buy both? (for example, the Creature Guide has all the fluff on the monsters, while the Creature Vault has the cards.)

I will quote from page 2 of the pdf:

"These diligently crafted books are destined to be indispensable
tools for both new and existing players as they include
comprehensive gameplay examples coaching players in taking
full advantage of WFRP’s novel game system, useful tips, improved
rules organization, improved methods for using and
tracking monsters and encounters, as well as complete reference
tables of careers, spells, actions, blessing, and options
from all WFRP 3rd edition releases up through the soon to be
released Signs of Faith."

So there has been a reorganization of rules, as well as the inclusion and consolidation of rules from all of the currently published supplements up through Signs of Faith. Thus, the Creature Vault & Guide, for example, includes all of the NPCs and monsters from the ToA Beastiary as well as all the monsters introduced in TGS, WoM, SoF, etc.

The Guides are the books, while the Vaults have the stuff. They are optional as long as you don't need one or the other. You could easily buy the Vaults for more stuff if you already have the main rulebook. If you've got enough stuff, but want a hardcover rulebook you can just buy the Guide. Keep in mind that, not only are the Guides hardcover, but they also consolidate information from the supplements. So, even for people who have the Core Set (and even if you have all the supplements), getting the Guides could be useful as all the information is together in one place. The Mutation and Corruption rules, for example, are in the single GM's guide, rather than having to look between the different supplements they are contained in.

It does also sound like they have added additional tips and methods and other information in the Guides as well that is "new" material.

I pay homage to FFG.

This sounds good for fence sitters or those who didn't like the way it was being released, but can't but feel screwed over by this after having bought everything. This is basically a product relaunch and most are going to want to have the most up to date rules, meaning most of us will be obliged to buy these new books which are going to just have mostly the same material we already purchased. The books also sound like more than just consolidated information from the descriptions, it sounds like the rules are also being updated and new material added. So even though I bought all the products and have all this, to get these new additions I'm forced to buy these books that are largely going to be redundant info?

This smells of a new game edition less than a year after it's launch. This is how the game should have been launched and handled, and it's going to make some people happy, but feel like many of us who initially invested are being screwed over.

I have a question:

If I/my group already have the core set, the Adventurer's Toolkit, the Gamemaster's Toolkit, and the two magic/religion expansions, and IF we want to play with the components (ie, I don't care about new rules for component-less play), will the hardcover books and/or the "vaults" add any additional content to what we already have?

In other words, will the books and components be reorganizations of what is already in the previous products, or will there be signficant, new content? And will the new content go beyond examples of play?

Ransom said:

I have a question:

If I/my group already have the core set, the Adventurer's Toolkit, the Gamemaster's Toolkit, and the two magic/religion expansions, and IF we want to play with the components (ie, I don't care about new rules for component-less play), will the hardcover books and/or the "vaults" add any additional content to what we already have?

In other words, will the books and components be reorganizations of what is already in the previous products, or will there be signficant, new content? And will the new content go beyond examples of play?

These are the same questions I have as well (and posted on the announcement thread).

I am glad on one hand, and horribly disappointed on the other.

One, I am rather disappointed the general gaming community lacked in enough foresight to support the original product. Those who are thinking about jumping on board now, just because the exact same game has been repackaged into manual format seem, well, misguided or simply confused. I mean, nothing about the new product says, here is a completely different way to play. Instead, here is the exact same product, just catered specifically toward your market in the format you can agree with. Actions will still recharge, locations will still have modifiers, boons and banes will still generate effects, fatigue and stress will still exist, everything that has ever been complained about the mechanics of the game - that drove some player to burn his copy here on the forums - will remain. There won't be grid-based combat, there won't be simulationist based mechanics, there won't be percentile dice, there won't be 2e's gigantic list of careers, there won't be anything but the exact same system for the exact same game in a less user friendly format. So I'm just confused mostly over the decision on the part of FFG and all the wild praise for something that really is no different by people who hated the old game. How can the change really make anyone believe the game is any less like "descent" as I've heard popularly cried about it simply because of a character sheet full of tons of boxes you have to check off. I honestly don't see it. So for me, this new direction is not a great direction at all. I personally see it as potentially the death of the chit based mechanic entirely. The book format will only serve to divide the market will until one format will sell better than the other, and obviously one format will die. With their current strategy, the book format is by far cheaper to get all the information to play this game and in a way, somewhat feels like a slap in the face to those who have actually supported this game since it's conception, as we will have spent a huge sum of money and now are being asked to spend even more to support this new format of play just to be up to date with a system we have spent our support on already.

@ Ynnen and anyone at FFG that will listen and are willing to answer:

For example, the creature vault box is ten dollars more than the creature book. So I get the exact same rules for ten bucks more in card format? Is that really worth it to me as a consumer? Will I get the same rulebook included? Or will I now have to spend 70 bucks to get all the information since I'm a card user and not a book user where as a book user will only have to spend thirty? If that is the case, why am I being penalized as a consumer of the original format of all Warhammer products?

From where I stand, these books will only create an alternate market for the exact same thing. Sure, this might spike sales, but truly what will be the longevity of supporting both formats at the same time? If that disturbing trend continues the chit based format will die. For instance, the war box set coming out is slated at fifty bucks. So if I just wait several months I will get the war box set in book form ten dollars cheaper?

Even more disturbing, with the repackaging, I've again been penalized as a consumer for buying the Adventurer's toolkit, core box, priest box, and magic box. I spent 230 dollars for all that information that I could have gotten for 150 bucks in book format. Not only does that make the chit based system extremely more expensive in the long term, but it also punishes me for supporting the game in its original design principle.

Don't get me wrong, I love Warhammer as it is, but why am I being so penalized for supporting the original product? Furthermore what is the incentive to support the future chit/card based mechanic as time goes on when I can get the same information later on at least a hundred dollars cheaper than buying it in the first place? Having it in card format is simply not an answer. I love the game, but feel no need to support something that is so obviously designed to be a labor of love on my part and something that's future may die as the new format sales outsell the chit format as it will be considerably cheaper to the consumers in the long term.

Furthermore, I have these questions:

1) Will I have to shell out for a player's guide hardback book for fifty bucks and another thirty bucks for the vault just to get the updated core material that isn't offered in my existing core material box set, or will the vault supply me as a chit based consumer with all the required tools to expand my career decks and my cards.

2) Does the player's guide contain all the Winds of Magic information as well? Why did I just spend fifty bucks for that box set, when I could have gotten all this information in the vault in the upcoming expansion?

3) Will the same information in the Faith box set appear in the player's guide and the cards in the subsequent player's vault? If so, what reason do I have to pick up the Faith boxed set?

4) Will the creature vault contain the rules for the monsters and their descriptions in it, or will I have to buy the book and the box to get the cards? If so, what is my incentive to support the chit box when all the truly pertinent information is already included in the Monster book?

I will continue to support Warhammer FRP, but I can't help but feel a little jilted by a company and game I have so loyally supported and fought to get players to try out this new experience.

I doubt there would be much extra necessary content, at least in the Hardbacks and Player vault. "This supplement contains the key player character
focused components from the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay core set". The Keeper and Monster Vaults sound like they will have extra useful stuff for us early adopters/purchasers of the boxed sets. I'll be buying the Hardbacks either way as they will be useful. The older manuals could easily be passed on to fellow players looking to just pick up the Vaults. I see this game as a luxury RPG, rather than a budget RPG, so the price/product plan griping doesnt really wash with me. But more options is a win-win.

I have similar concern as Commoner and a few others.

But, i am in a wait and see stance. Based on what FFG's track record before, i think they have the best intention in the world - satisfying the customer.

Hopefully this turn out to be the best. In mean time, I guess we will have a lot speculation and driving ourself crazy by argue what these new guide may or may not be.

If it literally is just compiling all the rules from previous releases into hardcover books in a new organized manner that is fine. The problem others and myself are having is that the preview makes it sound like some stuff is being updated and possibly new material. I would hope that any additions or changes be given to us for free in form of faq/errata document or some free downloads of some kind.

PanzerKraken said:

If it literally is just compiling all the rules from previous releases into hardcover books in a new organized manner that is fine. The problem others and myself are having is that the preview makes it sound like some stuff is being updated and possibly new material. I would hope that any additions or changes be given to us for free in form of faq/errata document or some free downloads of some kind.

The Creatures Guide + Vault is mostly new material - this is the Bestiary people have been asking for.

I like the WHFRP3 component based system with action cards, status cards, and critical wound cards. Go away from this FFG and I might as well go back to playing D&D 4E.

Tang86 said:

I like the WHFRP3 component based system with action cards, status cards, and critical wound cards. Go away from this FFG and I might as well go back to playing D&D 4E.

The cards are still there, there's just an option to play the game without them. I'm not sure why you'd want to do that. I think it'd slow down play a lot. But it's possible FFG have found a way to streamline it.

Jay will have a more comprehensive FAQ tomorrow, but suffice to say, there is nothing to be concerned about for owners of the Core Set. There is nothing critical in the "Guides" or "Vaults" (other than the Creature Guide/Vault) that you'll need in terms of new content or rules. They'll be great if you're looking for reference tables for the cards/components/careers, more examples, more copies of the rules for the table, etc, but they do not replace the still-valid Core Set. The Core set remains the principal tool for a new group to get into the game, and is the best value in town for what you get.

They allow more options for existing groups (easier to add new players and add incremental content), traditional RPG'ers, and give new groups the option to split the purchases between GM and Player if they desire.

As I said, rest easy, more details from Jay tomorrow.

cP
FFG

This is what this game really needed if it is expected to continue to be viable. The cards are neat..but they're a huge pain in my nurgling-hatchery. Having a character sheet where I can just write this stuff down will hopefully appeal to a larger audience than fumbling with all these dang cards. I can't think of a lot of situations where my players ever use "the other side" of a card either so go figure if you could one-line it on a character sheet or have a marked page in a rulebook, all the better.

Good job getting the dwarf thing going. There's always lots of dwarf fans out there. I hope before this game gets cancelled again that there will be an ELF supplement at some point..maybe combine it with Brettonia eh? Dont' forget abotu all those forests in Empire!

I'd expect that there will be some griping about having to re-purchase product..but such is the advantage of it no longer being in new-rpg-playtest-mode (I don't mean that negatively).

I consider this a MAJOR step in the right direction of making this game more playable. One of my big gripes was how many of us don't like the potential of losing stuff at a game convention. Well, this is a much better solution.

** One last thing: I'm annoyed that there isn't a picture for EACH of the monsters in the current bestiary pages. For example, in WoM, I've got 3+ creatures on a page,but only one picture (for example, no flamers, just a pink horror ;) . Please put pictures of EACH creature in the bestiary.

Thanks,

Jay H

The cards aren't just "neat" they are/were a major factor in my purchasing decision to commit to the WHFRP3 game!

I sincerely hope the cards remain a core part of the game.