New Rebel Vehicle Leaked

By KommanderKeldoth, in Star Wars: Legion

10 minutes ago, True_Fire said:

I think the only way to introduce the AT-AT is is in a scenario/campaign based expansion not unlike the downed AT-ST. maybe something like that mission from EA battlefront where the AT-AT is not controlled by any player and the goal for rebels is to stop it from reaching their base and destroy it and it is up to imperials to protect it so it can reach and destroy the base. Something like that.

I cannot imagine it being an actual unit. Can you imagine the point cost! I don’t think you would have any points left to build an army from.

Yea I agree sadly. I think that, or if Atomic sees fit to do some weird 'apocalypse' style expansion down the road with huge battles. Not sure how I'd feel about something like that though

I mean, yes, I actually appreciate the "technical" aesthetic, but Star Wars has a lot of garages, companies and yards making tech, some which the Rebels steal, some which the rebels make for themselves, and they do have a few canonical bits of heavy armor which can compete with the extant Imperial light armored vehicles, or even the combat tanks of the yesteryears.

If the A-A5 is actually coming, I doubt it'll be too much of an offensive powerhouse, they may even go the Landspeeder route where it doesn't start with the top-turret modeled. While it will not doubt have some offensive capability because that's how the game trends, but it's probably not an Arsenal machine with like five guns, and it would probably be Closed Transport. The rebels can have some heavy hitters to deal with enemy armor, this will not do that. But it probably will make it so you can dump your short range units on an objective or a hotzone easier.

2 minutes ago, Haslamm1 said:

Yea I agree sadly. I think that, or if Atomic sees fit to do some weird 'apocalypse' style expansion down the road with huge battles. Not sure how I'd feel about something like that though

I imagine they could pull something similar to Armada's take on the Super Star Destroyer. A slightly scaled down version that's mostly meant for games larger than the standard 400 points (or 800, in Legion's case).

2 hours ago, Geekboy75g said:

those transport tanks from the phantom menace and a laat

2 hours ago, Lochlan said:

LAATs are possible (especially since the A-A5 is 4 meters longer*), but the MTT (the transport tank from The Phantom Menace) is 4 times as long as an AAT. CIS could get the NR-N99 as an open transport, but I'm not sure if they have a canon closed transport that is within the correct scale.

*Side note: is this the first unit in the game that will have to be massively scaled down? At 21.4 meters long, it's more than twice the length of the AAT.

If GAR gets a LAAT, I'd rather get the HMP for CIS than the snail tank

According to Wookieepedia, the A-A5 is 21.4 meters long, and the AT-AT is 22.5 meters tall. By those measurements, I think the scale is off because it shows the A-A5 as being longer than the AT-AT is tall. That said, looking at various pictures I'm not sure we actually have a standard size for these speeders. The picture with the wookiees makes it look about the same size as the Occupier; the picture used in FFG's Star Wars The Card Game makes it seem a bit bigger but still reasonable; the Wookieepedia measurements make it almost three times as big as the Occupier.

I think it'd be easier for FFG to scale down this speeder than it would be to scale down the AT-AT, simply because this vehicle is so obscure. Without a good frame of reference for what the size should be, players won't recognize that the scale is wrong. Meanwhile everybody remembers how small Luke and his speeder were compared to the AT-AT, and will immediately recognize the difference.

well you cant scale down an AT-AT to occupier base size that would be ridiculous.

The AT-AT in the background almost to actual scale compared to the AT-ST but still a little small. The 2010 version is bigger and more to scale. Obviously either of those would be too big for Legion.

The WotC AT-AT in the lower right would be the size a Legion AT-AT would have to be scaled down to for Legion. And it would probably require a new movement tool and the notches would have to be recessed into the base pretty far because otherwise it would zip across the board way too fast.

its totally doable. and it would be awesome. but I doubt it will happen.

https://content.invisioncic.com/Mfantflight/monthly_2019_01/20190130_202257.jpg.aa864c76e052d6e9ee2d7854d84baf37.jpg

Edited by Khobai
4 hours ago, Billion Year Old Carbon said:

But seriously, can we talk about the SIZE of this vehicle? Per the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook Second Edition (Page 115):

image.png.95ab3f3c9240210712738b49810b6c90.png

Wow, that is way too big for the game.

I'm meh on the design, but as someone pointed out all those rebel vehicles from games look awful. Hopefuly if it is true it will have a good level of detailing and stylising.

But if it works for the game I'll get one.

It is possibly this is the result of a disgruntled ex-employee. If it’s real it would need to be scaled down.

29 minutes ago, smickletz said:

It is possibly this is the result of a disgruntled ex-employee. If it’s real it would need to be scaled down.

Considering it came from a distributor’s website, unlikely.

Also, as others have pointed out, that’s an old legends scale. Correct canon ones are in line with the imperial transport, both of which fit the existing occupier base easy

Anything which is 10+ meters long is supposed to be sliding scale anyway, but also I can't imaging them making it that much longer than the ITT, and that's only canonically like 8m long. I'm not sure how great Commander was with scale, being a stylized game for phones, but in that image of it with Wookiees doesn't look like it's that huge either.

All the fun rebel vehicles from the games just got another foot of dirt piled on their graves... :( . My first thought was Spaceballs as well. It's too clean. It needs more greeblies.

AT-AT's would be fine as superheavies a la titans/knights in 40k. I have a near or to-scale LAAT and it's very large. It's like 2x the length and height of a Saber tank on it's stand. Not even talking about width. I think it's more likely for GAR to get a different heavy unless they make the jump in size. CIS has a lot more smaller options.

That's hideous.

5 hours ago, Indy_com said:

When you really think about it, this "is" their Tank.

Despite what the movies show you, the vast majority of Rebels were just regular people pushed far enough by the system to grab whatever was to hand and try to give the Empire a bloody nose.

They are the poster child of "Insurgents with Good Intentions" and what do insurgents use as Armoured Support but Pickup Trucks and Vans with guns strapped to them?

The Landspeeder is a Technical and this would be a "Heavy Technical".

Insurgents that had starfighters that were superior to the Empire's offering in all stats but maneuverability. It's getting a little annoying that in Legion they want to portray a faction that had military grade hardware equivalent to a jetfighter as only having sedans and trucks with guns strapped to them in their ground arsenal.

The Rebels have canon tanks, check the Vader Down comics, there's an open topped transport with a rotary blaster turret as well as a hover tank as imposing as the Republic's TX-130.

349?cb=20161023080928

The T2-B, also seen in Commander , a long-standing Legends design which is canonized. Neat little tank. Great alt stat-line in the RPG for an engineering vehicle but acknowledging the T2-E Petard is probably not going to happen.

500?cb=20161017054527

Commander also has the Saber 2-M, the Imperial upgrade to the ol' Saber Tank.

6 hours ago, Khobai said:

well you cant scale down an AT-AT to occupier base size that would be ridiculous.

The AT-AT in the background almost to actual scale compared to the AT-ST but still a little small. The 2010 version is bigger and more to scale. Obviously either of those would be too big for Legion.

The WotC AT-AT in the lower right would be the size a Legion AT-AT would have to be scaled down to for Legion. And it would probably require a new movement tool and the notches would have to be recessed into the base pretty far because otherwise it would zip across the board way too fast.

its totally doable. and it would be awesome. but I doubt it will happen.

https://content.invisioncic.com/Mfantflight/monthly_2019_01/20190130_202257.jpg.aa864c76e052d6e9ee2d7854d84baf37.jpg

I think the front AT-AT is doable. It might not be up to scale but still impressive enough. A base of about 2 AAT bases is possible and can still legally be placed with the deployment rules. The movement rules would need an update though. This thing cannot move a full base length and then some.

40 minutes ago, SailorMeni said:

I think the front AT-AT is doable. It might not be up to scale but still impressive enough. A base of about 2 AAT bases is possible and can still legally be placed with the deployment rules. The movement rules would need an update though. This thing cannot move a full base length and then some.

What happens when it walks over a barricade? Or a shipping container? Tilt the whole top-heavy thing on top of it? A vehicle with this foot print would not be able to interact with a typical Legion table in a way that isnt game breaking. Not to mention how would you assign points to something that big? ESB establishes that even airspeeders (which in the game have Impact and critical surges) cant harm an AT-AT with their blasters. How much health would it have? 20? 30?!

I think AT-ATs dont belong at Legion scale except as terrain pieces. Armada got away with the SSD becuase they already use a sliding scale, the terrain is sparse and 2D, and also it still looks stupidly small next to Star Destroyers.

32 minutes ago, KommanderKeldoth said:

What happens when it walks over a barricade? Or a shipping container? Tilt the whole top-heavy thing on top of it? A vehicle with this foot print would not be able to interact with a typical Legion table in a way that isnt game breaking. Not to mention how would you assign points to something that big? ESB establishes that even airspeeders (which in the game have Impact and critical surges) cant harm an AT-AT with their blasters. How much health would it have? 20? 30?!

I think AT-ATs dont belong at Legion scale except as terrain pieces. Armada got away with the SSD becuase they already use a sliding scale, the terrain is sparse and 2D, and also it still looks stupidly small next to Star Destroyers.

Eh, we can just errata the Tow Cable weapon to be able to instantly destroy a AT-AT if the attacker rolls a hit/crit/surge.

As much as I like AT-AT and AT-TE, which I would love as a GAR player, I agree that at its scale and type of gameplay that these giant walkers dont have a place. Plus can you imagine trying to transport these things to game nights? The amount of time and how much paint/primer it would take would also be staggering. Granted I have never played other wargames but that seems like a daunting task.

It's not hard if you don't force them to be on a base. Their feet will find room just like in 40k. If special terrain mobility rules need to be made then so be it. I'm firmly against sliding scales in Legion. And as I already said these superheavies would obviously need to be tuned to a larger scale gamemode or severe points limitations.

2 hours ago, KommanderKeldoth said:

Why not let it do exactly what it should do? crush the barricade. crush the shipping container. crush all the terrain.

And AT-ATs should definitely be in legion. Because imperials suck. They need something good that makes other factions jealous.

Also Airspeeders can harm AT-ATs with their blasters if they get critical hits, there are weakpoints in the armor of an AT-AT like the neck joint and the legs. The underside of the AT-AT is also less armored.

Trying to destroy an AT-AT would be pointless though. It would be like a Saber Tank. It wouldnt be practical to kill in the course of a 6 turn game. Maybe you could kill if you focused everything on trying to destroy it but you wouldnt be likely to win the objective then.

I suppose destroying the AT-AT could also be an alternate win condition. Something like that could work.

Edited by Khobai

I think at-te are more likely then an at-at to added in the game. r/StarWars - Walker size comparison

8 hours ago, DtLS said:

Insurgents that had starfighters that were superior to the Empire's offering in all stats but maneuverability. It's getting a little annoying that in Legion they want to portray a faction that had military grade hardware equivalent to a jetfighter as only having sedans and trucks with guns strapped to them in their ground arsenal.

The Rebels have canon tanks, check the Vader Down comics, there's an open topped transport with a rotary blaster turret as well as a hover tank as imposing as the Republic's TX-130.

From a film perspective, however, we really only get to see those star fighters.

Their ground forces are never terribly impressive on screen, even in Rebels.

I see both sides of the argument - I’m just along for the ride of whatever comes out. I like the landspeeder aesthetic. This I need to see the model to be able to weigh in on how cool/awful it looks.

3 hours ago, Khobai said:

And AT-ATs should definitely be in legion. Because imperials suck. They need something good that makes other factions jealous.

That would be called stop power creep and just make things pointed more fairly. Empire has some pretty fun toys at their disposal, and if they “suck” it’s due to the costs involved in bringing them. Don’t encourage it with even more creep.

"That armor's too strong for blasters. Rogue Group, use your harpoons and tow cables. Go for the legs. It might be the only chance at stopping them." -Luke Skywalker, The Empire Strikes Back

Yeah, an accurately-represented AT-AT would be practically invincible in Legion. I'm afraid if FFG did make one, they'd either have to weaken it to the point of not really representing an AT-AT, or give it such a high cost as to be prohibitively expensive. Like, "we gave it Field Commander because you won't have enough points for even an Imperial Officer with this and three Corp units" expensive.

@Ilostmycactus The base is used for so many of the rules that just removing it entirely causes complications. Especially since for the AT-AT you have to worry about firing arcs. If there is no base, there is no easy way to check the arcs when either attacking to or from the model.

40k and AoS have their "giant" units on bases (excepting some older forge world stuff). And in that case, the units are just tall, not tall and long.

@Geekboy75g Maybe? One big complication with either unit is the length, which works out in scale to roughly 18 inches, or Range 3.

Edited by Caimheul1313

I think the AT-DP from rebels is the largest that they could go in Legion and ven then they would have to scale it down to only just taller than the AT-ST, they might be able to Scale down the AT-TE to be useable in game but it would have to have a brand new way of moving as a speed 1 move would still move it about range 3 or 4, maybe a slot in the side that you can put the back of a speed 1 template in and then another slot that you can put the front in to (similar to Armada)

11 minutes ago, 5particus said:

I think the AT-DP from rebels is the largest that they could go in Legion and ven then they would have to scale it down to only just taller than the AT-ST, they might be able to Scale down the AT-TE to be useable in game but it would have to have a brand new way of moving as a speed 1 move would still move it about range 3 or 4, maybe a slot in the side that you can put the back of a speed 1 template in and then another slot that you can put the front in to (similar to Armada)

If they go that route it'll likely be similar to Armada's "speed zero turn" Where you place the speed tool, lift up the miniature, make an adjustment and then replace the model in the new location.

For Legion you'd likely notch the speed one tool as straight as possible into the rear of the AT TE base. Notch an empty small or medium base into the other side of the tool. Lift the AT TE from the table. Replace the speed tool notched into the small or medium base with a speed 2 or 3 tool. Adjust the tool as desired. Then replace the AT TE mini by notching into the tool. Remove the tool and empty small or medium base. Move complete.