New Rebel Vehicle Leaked

By KommanderKeldoth, in Star Wars: Legion

Id rather have no AT-AT than a resin one.

Why?

resin models are brittle and resin isnt the best material for bigger kits

resin models always seem to require more cleanup and prepwork too before you can assemble them.

I believe resin is also susceptible to UV degradation although that may not be a problem after its painted

im definitely not a big fan of larger resin kits. I think resin works best for smaller models.

I would rather see an AT-AT thats made out of hard plastic. And I think a $125-$150 price point is entirely plausible for a kit like that.

Even if its just an AT-AT wreck and not a standing AT-AT I think it would be a great addition for the game, we need some more official terrain.

I bought a broken and horribly yellowed kenner AT-AT off ebay for reasonably cheap and pulled it apart and converted it into terrain. its one of my favorite terrain pieces to use. it creates an interesting dynamic by blocking off the entire center of the board and forcing you to either go around it or climb on top of it. The disconnected legs also make decent terrain pieces on their own. Id love to see an official version of that with its own scenario.

Edited by Khobai
5 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

@thestag It's basically a giant game of wack a mole. Typically the bigger moles get hit while the small ones get ignored. Even with Disney's resources, there are only so many people in their legal department, so some stuff will get missed. Generally they go after the big stuff, or the slam dunk cases (obvious infringement like direct copies as opposed to "in a similar style" stuff).

And we don't know that they aren't looking at how to shut down Shapeways stores that infringe. The nature of the storefront might make it a bit harder to take down individual infringers. Also, just because we know how to find them, doesn't mean the legal team which might not be modelers (or tech savvy) can find it. It took awhile for Space Rocks to get taken down after all.

But that makes no sense, if anything it's *easier* to find and take stuff down when it's on sites like shapeways. You can literally search all of the online 3d printers and file repositories and turn up hundreds of hits, some of which aren't even careful enough to avoid using trademarked terms, and they all operate according to the DMCA bull**** system where you can get files taken down just by submitting a form. GW do this constantly, even making claims against things where they clearly don't have a leg to stand on(eg, claiming trademarks they've not actually registered anywhere on the planet, claiming for historical symbols, claiming for similar designs that aren't exact copies based on "aesthetic") and mostly get away with it. If Disney wanted to they could have an intern eradicate third party miniatures in an afternoon, at least until people started sharing the files on places that don't care about DMCA. I've absolutely no doubt that at least a few crawly bumlicks have tried ratting third party producers out to Corporate Daddy, so I find it hard to believe they don't know fine well.

@Yodhrin And yet I can still find a bunch of pieces easily on Shapeways that directly infringe on GW, despite (according to you) them having (EDIT: all infringing) things taken down.

Since the Chapterhouse Studios lawsuit, I've noticed significantly fewer C&Ds coming from GW to bits makers. The ruling on that case is WHY GW changed all the names, and why the old names are able to be freely used, and companies are now freely able to indicate their bits are compatible. It's also why GW stopped providing stats and names for units that didn't have official models. Which is the big risk of sending out C&D's, if you send one to someone that falls completely under fair use, and who can find a decent lawyer, there is the risk of setting an unwanted legal precedent like what happened to GW.

The thing about tip lines is that for every valid tip, there are going to be some massive number of garbage. With the current state of automation, at some point a human has to be to one to look, to determine if it then needs to be sent to someone authorized to send the C&D. You don't want the intern filtering the emails to have that sort of power given the kind of trouble that can result. Same goes for an intern reading through websites. All it takes is sending one takedown notice to the wrong person and the floodgates can suddenly open.

Edited by Caimheul1313

Its good that GW lost that case. They cant trademark every word in the english language.

16 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

@thestag It's basically a giant game of wack a mole. Typically the bigger moles get hit while the small ones get ignored. Even with Disney's resources, there are only so many people in their legal department, so some stuff will get missed. Generally they go after the big stuff, or the slam dunk cases (obvious infringement like direct copies as opposed to "in a similar style" stuff).

That's Whack-A-Mole TM

17 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

@Yodhrin And yet I can still find a bunch of pieces easily on Shapeways that directly infringe on GW, despite (according to you) them having things taken down.

Since the Chapterhouse Studios lawsuit, I've noticed significantly fewer C&Ds coming from GW to bits makers. The ruling on that case is WHY GW changed all the names, and why the old names are able to be freely used, and companies are now freely able to indicate their bits are compatible. It's also why GW stopped providing stats and names for units that didn't have official models. Which is the big risk of sending out C&D's, if you send one to someone that falls completely under fair use, and who can find a decent lawyer, there is the risk of setting an unwanted legal precedent like what happened to GW.

The thing about tip lines is that for every valid tip, there are going to be some massive number of garbage. With the current state of automation, at some point a human has to be to one to look, to determine if it then needs to be sent to someone authorized to send the C&D. You don't want the intern filtering the emails to have that sort of power given the kind of trouble that can result. Same goes for an intern reading through websites. All it takes is sending one takedown notice to the wrong person and the floodgates can suddenly open.

C&Ds are not the same as DMCA Takedowns, which are applied almost automatically and only require the person filing them purports to hold "a good faith belief" that they own the rights, plus have a built-in method for challenging them that doesn't require the filer to pursue anything, meaning they're consequence-free: they say "we own this", the site takes it down, the file uploader can then choose to challenge the notice, the filer then has two weeks to take further action or the file goes back up - no muss, no fuss, no lawyers, and no possibility of nasty court cases unless the people filing the claim want them. Regardless of what you notice, I hang in a discord that has a lot of the guys actually sculpting the various 1:1's and not-GW 3D models(if I can ever get my brain around Blender I hope to be one of 'em), DMCA's are common enough they're now just expected. Despite making basically no effort - one guy at their legal department does a trawl every month or two and sends a bunch seemingly at random - they still manage to nuke loads of files, to the point where there's now an organised effort in a different discord to get the files off the free repositories like thingi as quickly as possible after they're uploaded and get them shared around multiple other places that are less vulnerable(megas, torrents etc). If Disney actually dedicated any appreciable amount of their legal team's clout, they could scour pretty much every online 3D model site, free or paid, and places like Shapeways, in less than a week just by drowning them in DMCA takedown notices because they know most people *don't* challenge them.

@Yodhrin A C&D isn't legally binding either, it is a threat of legal action if the behaviour isn't stopped.

The main difference is that the DMCA keeps Shapeways from getting sued so long as they remove the content upon receiving the notixe, and that Shapeways is (supposed to) allow the person who posted the content to contest the claim within a window of time.

The C&D is for the producer themselves like Space Rocks that are selling a product they create, while Shapeways is given a DMCA to remove a product someone else is listing on their website.

In either case, the letter is only as strong as the threat of legal action. If the offender doesn't remove it and doesn't get sued, then all notices from that company lose their teeth. So every one of them they file, they should be SURE either won't be contested, or will win.

Edited by Caimheul1313

If they come out with the rebel truckster painted metallic pea green and the driver is Clark-Griz-Wuld Im there!

It just occurred to me, but this ugly vehicle could still work if one paints and brings a Sabine Wren army to the table. I know she's just an operative, but maybe she still gets full creative control of the army???

it needs more than a paint job to not be ugly

Maybe a full Burning Man-style art car transformation?

1993_ford_aerostar_passenger-minivan_xl_

Edited by buckero0

I'm waiting for the inevitable Spaceballs conversion.