ETA Reactions

By Boom Owl, in X-Wing

57 minutes ago, Silver_leader said:

Seyn Marana Marksmanship. Oicunn blocker. Nothing else needed :D :D

Lt. Kestal w/ Ion Turret.

Homing Missiles.

Here is a prime example of how tough it is to fly against the ETA-2 with all the toys.

Edited by IceManHG

I think an easy fix for all this would be:

1. Get rid of the mod slot in the eta

2. Cost autoblasters depending on initiative (maybe the current cost up to I4)

3. Make R7-A4 (or whatever it's called) a bit more expensive, maybe necessary to drop the v-wing "Esk" config to 0 points? Whatever

I think changing these three would make it fair enough.

From my personal opinion I actually love etas right now and wouldn't change them, but still. They should not lose their talent, tho, that is a big difference with the delta. The cannon too, but that talent slot is so sweet.

3 minutes ago, xanatos135 said:

3. Make R7-A4 (or whatever it's called) a bit more expensive, maybe necessary to drop the v-wing "Esk" config to 0 points? Whatever

Esk should be 0 points, already. Choosing ions instead of crits before you even attack is very near useless.

To me the simplest fix for the combo is to remove the cannon slot.

20 hours ago, GuacCousteau said:

Anakin Skywalker (ETA-2) (56)
Brilliant Evasion (2)
Marksmanship (1)
Autoblasters (3)
R7-A7 (3)
Stealth Device (8)

Ship total: 73

Just realised that it is 73 points which means you can fit 3 arcs with him for 199.

You don't have a bid (1pt) but I assume it shouldnt be to big of a problem as the arcs target priority would be other I6s. We saw the Obi +3 arcs alright in a few tournaments but this anakin looks a lot better imo.

I really think it's to early to assume the chassis needs changes. Let's give the ship some time first and see how it'll do in the meta and in larger tournaments. I talked to a lot of people lately who tried the ship and failed pretty hard. I played two games yesterday and recognized how fragile it is when you make mistakes or your dice fail you once (which will happen)

On 12/1/2020 at 7:56 PM, gennataos said:

If BB-8 had the R4 ability built in, I'd be happy as a clam. But, yeah.

Oh that should be a thing. Even if was just hard turns.

1 hour ago, Ryuneke said:

I really think it's to early to assume the chassis needs changes. Let's give the ship some time first and see how it'll do in the meta and in larger tournaments. I talked to a lot of people lately who tried the ship and failed pretty hard. I played two games yesterday and recognized how fragile it is when you make mistakes or your dice fail you once (which will happen)

Isn't this (or swap Elusive for Lone Wolf and Shield for Hull Upgrade) arguably just as good or better for 73/74 pts? Much better gun, lose force (but also don't need to spend force for abilities), force-like pilot ability.

Soontir Fel — TIE Interceptor 54
Elusive 3
Shield Upgrade 8
Stealth Device 8
Ship Total: 73
16 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

Esk should be 0 points, already. Choosing ions instead of crits before you even attack is very near useless.

I wish it was single-charge and not double-charge. Then it's just a choice about how you attack, not giving up the opportunity to attack in this way on a later turn. That fear of missing out and the FeelsBadMan of wasting the charges is this nasty psychological trick. If it was something you could just turn on or off for every attack, even before you roll the dice, I think folks would like it a lot more.

But then maybe it'd be really oppressive. Hrm.

44 minutes ago, mcintma said:

Isn't this (or swap Elusive for Lone Wolf and Shield for Hull Upgrade) arguably just as good or better for 73/74 pts? Much better gun, lose force (but also don't need to spend force for abilities), force-like pilot ability.

Soontir Fel — TIE Interceptor 54
Elusive 3
Shield Upgrade 8
Stealth Device 8
Ship Total: 73

I don't think this is better. Soontir has a better offense, but he needs to be constantly looking for the bullseye to get his free focus, so both ships need the bullseye to work optimally. That alone kind of makes up for the worse weapon of the eta outside bullseye.

Then, the eta's force means that whatever happens they will always have the chance of chaging at the very least an eye to an evade to keep their stealth device. Soontir has elusive, but that needs him to perform red maneuvers, not being able to use any of his 2 actions, and removes predator so the better gun is even more questionable.

Etas don't have double reposition after moving but they also don't stress very often, while Soontir can get stuck in a bad spot with a stress token and not be able to get out of there with a blue maneuver without bumping. The eta is just more flexible and can avoid rocks or ships way more easily, plus the purple talon roll is huge.

Just played a game with obi-wan and aayla

These things can arc dodge like nobody's business but they hit like wet noodles.

Without access to a white lock you have no way to disengage and set up a good shot when you come back around, so even if you line up that perfect R1 bullseye, you won't really be rewarded for it. As a little anecdote, My two jedi starfighters scored 0 points against a list of dooku+4 hyenas. My two other ships died because it was essentially a 200-point vs. 100-point game, with a pair of ETAs trying to help.

You run out of force fast, even at range three, since you have to spend it for your near-mandatory systems phase preposition. So basically, fly ETAs if you like everything about X-wing except the violence

2 minutes ago, xanatos135 said:

I don't think this is better. Soontir has a better offense, but he needs to be constantly looking for the bullseye to get his free focus, so both ships need the bullseye to work optimally. That alone kind of makes up for the worse weapon of the eta outside bullseye.

Then, the eta's force means that whatever happens they will always have the chance of chaging at the very least an eye to an evade to keep their stealth device. Soontir has elusive, but that needs him to perform red maneuvers, not being able to use any of his 2 actions, and removes predator so the better gun is even more questionable.

Etas don't have double reposition after moving but they also don't stress very often, while Soontir can get stuck in a bad spot with a stress token and not be able to get out of there with a blue maneuver without bumping. The eta is just more flexible and can avoid rocks or ships way more easily, plus the purple talon roll is huge.

I hear ya, but there's a lot of rounds where Etakin will be throwing 2 red dice (see game linked above) that Soontir doesn't have to worry about. Nailing bullseye is much easier with double repo than (more-or-less) single like Etakin. And Soontir cannot be force-starved. And has more health per the comp in question. I dunno, still looks like a close call to me, your solid points notwithstanding.

19 minutes ago, Roller of blanks said:

Just played a game with obi-wan and aayla

These things can arc dodge like nobody's business but they hit like wet noodles.

Without access to a white lock you have no way to disengage and set up a good shot when you come back around, so even if you line up that perfect R1 bullseye, you won't really be rewarded for it. As a little anecdote, My two jedi starfighters scored 0 points against a list of dooku+4 hyenas. My two other ships died because it was essentially a 200-point vs. 100-point game, with a pair of ETAs trying to help.

You run out of force fast, even at range three, since you have to spend it for your near-mandatory systems phase preposition. So basically, fly ETAs if you like everything about X-wing except the violence

At least for those perfect bullseye shots predator will do the trick. For outside of bullseye attacks... patience maybe? So you don't run out of force and aren't hit. The other day in fly casual (I know, AI, but still) I found patience surprisingly flexible.

Maybe using patience out of bullseye and shooting with 1 die to have more force could be considered as an "equivalent" of not shooting for one round while you take a lock for the next one. Building up the perfect attack.

Edited by xanatos135

Many people are crying with very few games and data in hand...
This ship is far from being super competitive, start crying for the nerf immediately seems typical of those who have not understood much of this game.

Edited by _iaco_
2 minutes ago, _iaco_ said:

Many people are crying with very few games and data in hand...
This ship is far from be super competitive, start crying for the nerf immediately seems typical of those who have not understood much of this game.

I don't want an immediately nerf but I am a bit worried about the defensive aspect of this ship and the main (and best) tactic with it.

I understand the lack of punch but It doesn't justify the absurd increase of defense with the Stealth Device, Evade and Force.

Do the math.

If three T-65 with focus have caught you in arc at range 2 (you messed up with your maneuvers) and you can perform the Evade action and have 2 Force tokens, you run unscathed 55% of the times.

That's too much.

3 minutes ago, S4ul0 said:

I don't want an immediately nerf but I am a bit worried about the defensive aspect of this ship and the main (and best) tactic with it.

I understand the lack of punch but It doesn't justify the absurd increase of defense with the Stealth Device, Evade and Force.

Do the math.

If three T-65 with focus have caught you in arc at range 2 (you messed up with your maneuvers) and you can perform the Evade action and have 2 Force tokens, you run unscathed 55% of the times.

That's too much.

Is it so bad if the other 45% of the time you end up dead or almost dead (1 or 2 hull) and without stealth device? I don't think it's so terrible when you only have 3 hull.

5 hours ago, K13R4N said:

Just realised that it is 73 points which means you can fit 3 arcs with him for 199.

You don't have a bid (1pt) but I assume it shouldnt be to big of a problem as the arcs target priority would be other I6s. We saw the Obi +3 arcs alright in a few tournaments but this anakin looks a lot better imo.

Auto-Etakin + 3 Arcs was a finalist at the Lima Open this last weekend.

1 hour ago, Roller of blanks said:

Without access to a white lock you have no way to disengage and set up a good shot when you come back around

If spending a force charge to boost or barrel roll is acceptable, then spending a force charge to lock is fine. It's the lack of double actions that people dislike, they just don't know it. Delta's were spending force left and right to perform actions, but they got to perform another action afterwards.

On 12/2/2020 at 1:50 AM, SDCC said:

Just put Obi and Ani in a list, then filled it out with two Vwings. Since I'll want to use the models. But Aalya does sound like a good shout.

Which V-Wings would you use in that list? I have 2 of each (well, 1 ETA since I broke the socket off of 1 taking it out of the Hyperspace ring 🤬 ) and this has piqued my interest.

Edited by T70 Driver
29 minutes ago, xanatos135 said:

Is it so bad if the other 45% of the time you end up dead or almost dead (1 or 2 hull) and without stealth device? I don't think it's so terrible when you only have 3 hull.

When your opponent works hard to create this situation or you made a big mistake, I think he deserves better odds.

Also, maybe you lose the Device but you aren't dead (actually you lose the ship 5% of the times and you receive two hits on a 15% - and then give points).

Almost 120 points of the enemy squad in a good spot to score, don't do anything.

Do you think that's fair?

Edited by S4ul0
30 minutes ago, S4ul0 said:

Do the math.

That's too much.

Wedge Antilles eats Etas for breakfast, leave your generic T-65s on the shelf ;)

15 minutes ago, _iaco_ said:

Wedge Antilles eats Etas for breakfast, leave your generic T-65s on the shelf ;)

Yes, there are counters but I still think that the upgrade options for the Eta-2 are power creep.

The 3 T-65 is an example and I actually play the bad guys.

I think bombs could possibly be useful in hitting Etas, especially proton, thermal, and seismics. Though with the re-positional actions it could slip away.

22 hours ago, Matanui3 said:

Not being able to print a mobile ship with a cannon slot ever seems like a problem to me. That’s probably the reason Mod options are so disappointingly limited in 2e: since almost every ship has the slot by default, it’s hard to make an option that won’t be absolutely busted on something without making everything absolute garbage or overpriced.

They can restrict any upgrade by any means they like. We have all sorts of chassis restrictions and faction restrictions already. No reason we can't have mods that can only go on some ships and not on everything with a mod slot.

1 hour ago, 5050Saint said:

When it fits like a glove you wear it

2 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

False, Anakin did not have autoblasters, but otherwise correct