ETA Reactions

By Boom Owl, in X-Wing

When I was list building a little while back I couldn’t work out why people weren’t taking Daredevil.... until I read Daredevil properly. So much brain dumb going on... so much lists to change. I want to run this, but I can’t justify buying 4 ETA’s. I love them a lot.

(51) Aayla Secura [Eta-2 Actis]
(2) R4 Astromech
(2) Predator

(49) Obi-Wan Kenobi [Eta-2 Actis]
(2) R4 Astromech
(2) Predator

(41) Jedi General [Eta-2 Actis]
(2) R4 Astromech
(2) Patience

(2) R4 Astromech
(2) Patience

Total points: 198

Generals are meant to be blockers, I went with patience to ensure they are force ready for defence.

1 hour ago, Archangelspiv said:

When I was list building a little while back I couldn’t work out why people weren’t taking Daredevil.... until I read Daredevil properly. So much brain dumb going on... so much lists to change. I want to run this, but I can’t justify buying 4 ETA’s. I love them a lot.

(2) R4 Astromech
(2) Predator

(2) R4 Astromech
(2) Predator

(2) R4 Astromech
(2) Patience

(2) R4 Astromech
(2) Patience

Total points: 198

Generals are meant to be blockers, I went with patience to ensure they are force ready for defence.

Unless I'm missing something, they have one way to natively stress themselves (4K), so can probably drop the R4s and do something else with those points.

15 minutes ago, gennataos said:

Unless I'm missing something, they have one way to natively stress themselves (4K), so can probably drop the R4s and do something else with those points.

😳 ... R4 was for Daredevil... my word did I invest a lot of effort into that combo. You are absolutely right @gennataos , not sure where they will go, but the points should go somewhere else.

Edited by Archangelspiv
56 minutes ago, Archangelspiv said:

😳 ... R4 was for Daredevil... my word did I invest a lot of effort into that combo. You are absolutely right @gennataos , not sure where they will go, but the points should go somewhere else.

Tossing a pair of Brilliant Evasion on Obi/Aayla might be really nice, some good force-efficiency for her pilot ability. And I do hear that Sense is really strong on these suckers.

1 hour ago, theBitterFig said:

Tossing a pair of Brilliant Evasion on Obi/Aayla might be really nice, some good force-efficiency for her pilot ability. And I do hear that Sense is really strong on these suckers.

I think that’s a mighty fine idea, will give it a try out, see how it goes.

I'm really enjoying ani and obi in the eta with juke/stealth/brilliant evasion. They are so hard to even get a shot on with a great dial and potential double reposition. And if they are gonna be shot you just take an evade. Their offense lacks a little bit but the jukes can up their offense a bit. I'm still trying to find the best filler to go with them. A LAAT, another ETA? Currently I'm running 2 generic V wings. They are great blockers with an amazing dial and boost and they just don't die fast. (I think they are the cheapest boosting ship in the game?) Seems like there are so many ways to build an ETA list. I do think they might take away the mod slot tho. Stealth device plus white evade plus 3 force is so hard to get through. Not to mention if you throw Shaak or Aayla in there with their amazing defensive support abilities.

Stealth Device may be the one thing that makes the ETA good.

4 hours ago, TBot said:

I'm really enjoying ani and obi in the eta with juke/stealth/brilliant evasion.

This sounds bonkers. Can they even be hit?!

Edited by SDCC
50 minutes ago, SDCC said:

Try Klick with R3 astromech and a friendly lock on both 😅

Edited by Dwing
5 hours ago, TBot said:

I'm really enjoying ani and obi in the eta with juke/stealth/brilliant evasion. They are so hard to even get a shot on with a great dial and potential double reposition. And if they are gonna be shot you just take an evade. Their offense lacks a little bit but the jukes can up their offense a bit. I'm still trying to find the best filler to go with them. A LAAT, another ETA? Currently I'm running 2 generic V wings. They are great blockers with an amazing dial and boost and they just don't die fast. (I think they are the cheapest boosting ship in the game?) Seems like there are so many ways to build an ETA list. I do think they might take away the mod slot tho. Stealth device plus white evade plus 3 force is so hard to get through. Not to mention if you throw Shaak or Aayla in there with their amazing defensive support abilities.

This was one of my trial lists, of about 1 million.

New Squadron

(56) Anakin Skywalker [Eta-2 Actis]
(2) Brilliant Evasion
(8) Stealth Device
(7) Juke

(2) Brilliant Evasion
(8) Stealth Device
(7) Juke

(2) Brilliant Evasion
(8) Stealth Device

Total points: 200

Aayla gets in faces and evades, focusing more on survival so that Obi and Ani can push damage through and not take damage until end game.

Edited by Archangelspiv
13 minutes ago, Archangelspiv said:

This was one of my trial lists, of about 1 million.

New Squadron

(56) Anakin Skywalker [Eta-2 Actis]
(2) Brilliant Evasion
(8) Stealth Device
(7) Juke

(2) Brilliant Evasion
(8) Stealth Device
(7) Juke

(2) Brilliant Evasion
(8) Stealth Device

Aayla gets in faces and evades, focusing more on survival so that Obi and Ani can push damage through and not take damage until end game.

Just put Obi and Ani in a list, then filled it out with two Vwings. Since I'll want to use the models. But Aalya does sound like a good shout.

4 minutes ago, SDCC said:

Just put Obi and Ani in a list, then filled it out with two Vwings. Since I'll want to use the models. But Aalya does sound like a good shout.

I dont own any V wings but that does sound good, I proxied a third ETA and dial, was a bit of a mess and luckily it was a casual game but it was good for a test.

Power Creep.

The talent and especially the mod slot is a very bad idea from a balance perspective. The Force plus Evade on four green dice (with Stealth Device) is too strong. The ship does not have much damage output, but it can be unblockable with the autoblaster + talent + astromech combo, and that guarantees points that can be defended very well.

Is a fragile ship that with the correct choices (on squadbuilding and flying) will be meta warping and probably NPE in the near future (when the hype drops).

When the game needs that every shot counts, we have the Acewing return.

I like the ship, the ability and the possibilities, but the upgrades options are a mistake. I said the same with Soontir Fel. Naked is fine. Inflated with extra health and defensive options is a problem.

I am a primary Ace player, but I want to fly those ships and lose when I make a mistake or my opponent forces one. I don't like when I survive because I throw a lot of always modified green dice.

Darth Vader and Kylo Ren are well designed Force pilots. Strong but expensive, and they eat damage frequently. The Aethersprite loses the mod slot or 1 green dice (depending on the config), and the Evade action is purple. All of them have deficiencies that cannot be adressed. With the Eta-2 actually you can.

I don't want to be too hyperbolic about this, but I'm pretty sure that this is going to be really, really strong:

Anakin Skywalker (ETA-2) (56)
Brilliant Evasion (2)
Marksmanship (1)
Autoblasters (3)
R7-A7 (3)
Stealth Device (8)

Ship total: 73

I've only played around with it in Fly Casual, which I know is no substitute for a real game, but honestly I'm not sure it matters in this case. It was still a decent model for what the ship is able to do.

It's incredibly strong. I really get 1e Fel vibes from it. You can fly pretty badly and be safe by just taking an evade action.

Purple tallons into boost or barrel roll when you've got three Force at your disposal is bonkers, it sets up so many good shots.

Which leads into the Autoblasters combo. I'm trying not to toss this word out lightly, but it's borderline broken. All the other drawbacks of the ship don't matter when you're running this. You don't need Predator, don't need to use the purple locks; you can happily burn all your Force on pre-maneuver repositions and purple tallon rolls because you don't need those Force tokens for offence. Just get behind a ship and get the bullseye. You can roll terribly, and still do super consistent damage. Just turn whatever hits you get into crits.

The 2e evade change, the lack of an Autothrusters type upgrade, the lack of double repositioning and the bullseye requirement keep this from actually being 1e Fel, but given the general decrease in power curve for 2e, that's not saying much. The open dial, and reposition into tallon roll into reposition if you really need it almost bring Anakin back up to Fel levels anyway. And to be fair, the bullseye isn't even much of a requirement. R7-A7 means you can get cheap chips in without it (though being able to double up with Marksmanship feels stronger).

This build is soooooo much better than Delta-7B Anakin and it's 11 points cheaper.

I think the cannon slot was a big mistake. A config card that let you equip specifically an ion cannon (maybe even at the cost of the bullseye primary arc?) might have been okay if you wanted to keep the theme (supposedly the little wing guns on the Eta-2 are ion cannons, but Anakin swapped his out for the lasers you see in RotS which could have been what the bullseye represents).

But as is, this ship is the most capable of exploiting Autoblasters to an absurd extreme. It's better than Scyks, better than B-Wing double taps...

2 hours ago, S4ul0 said:

I like the ship, the ability and the possibilities, but the upgrades options are a mistake. I said the same with Soontir Fel. Naked is fine. Inflated with extra health and defensive options is a problem.

I think this is bang on the money, actually. The ship itself has its strengths, but is pretty vulnerable and requires a lot from the player. But the upgrade slots it has push into very dangerous territory.

This is one of those weird outlier cases where the ships, pilots and all the upgrade cards are probably all priced correctly. But together, they become far greater than the sum of their parts. It's like Juke on Phantoms.

16 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

I think the cannon slot was a big mistake.

I mean, that's not wrong, but wasn't the original sin the fact that there was unpreventable crit damage on the Autoblasters in the first place? That was just such a massive mistake.

If ABS had some other out-of-arc effect (reroll 1 attack die? defender rolls 1 fewer green dice?), I don't know that we'd care about Eta Cannons. But FFG had to be like "let's bring back unpreventable damage on Autblasters because unpreventable damage in 1e wasn't toxic bull**** at all " and maybe it didn't really matter too much for a while, since Autoblasters ships weren't that mobile and turning hits to crits wasn't that easy. Bullseye out-of-arc B-Wings weren't threatening.

But then they release a hypermobile ship with a trivial crit turn. Good job.

ArcticThickCuckoo-size_restricted.gif

I'm sensing scum scyks are going to be paying for the problems other ships cause, again.

6 hours ago, SDCC said:

Not really. Now this is just my experience in one game, but I was facing an Ani/Obi combo decked out in this way, and it was extremely irritating. I had managed to position my ships in a way where he was not able to arc dodge, I had two double modded R1 shots into Ani, rolled a total of 7 dice, got 7 hits after mods and still did 0 damage. This is a huge problem. Now there was a bit of good variance on the second defense, but the point still remains, this is very, VERY, annoying to face. I had completely outmaneuvered my opponent and got 0 payoff. To me, the simplest solution would be to remove the mod slot, for it makes no sense from a game balance perspective and even a canonical perspective how these things were able to take a mod slot.

17 minutes ago, Cerebrawl said:

I'm sensing scum scyks are going to be paying for the problems other ships cause, again

I hope not, I am not a scum player, but I'm pretty sure that scyks haven't been to much of a problem. Powerful? Yes. A problem? no. What they should do instead is increase the cost of the astro that gives guaranteed crits. I'm personally not a fan of the cannons on the Eta-2s at all, but I think it does differentiate it from the Aethersprite in a meaningful way.

1 hour ago, theBitterFig said:

I mean, that's not wrong, but wasn't the original sin the fact that there was unpreventable crit damage on the Autoblasters in the first place?

No, but I get the sense from the rest of your post that I'd be wasting my time justifying that.

All I'll say is that the indication that autodamage isn't a problem is that..... so far it hasn't been a problem. Crits plus arc dodging are hard to come by for basically every ship that can carry AB.

Just now, GuacCousteau said:

No, but I get the sense from the rest of your post that I'd be wasting my time justifying that.

All I'll say is that the indication that autodamage isn't a problem is that..... so far it hasn't been a problem. Crits plus arc dodging are hard to come by for basically every ship that can carry AB.

I guess what I mean is, with something like unpreventable damage, even if there's a lot of restrictions to go through, it's probably a door best left closed . Because someone will come along and slip through and then it'll be a bigger problem. A more modest effect than unpreventable crits probably doesn't hurt something like Scyks much, but prevents stuff like R7-A7 Eta.

As long as they don't bring back autoblaster turrets, it'll be alright. Also, R7-A7 is unique, so there'll only be one in a list.

2 hours ago, GuacCousteau said:

Anakin Skywalker (ETA-2) (56)
Brilliant Evasion (2)
Marksmanship (1)
Autoblasters (3)
R7-A7 (3)
Stealth Device (8)

Ship total: 73

I'm a bit worried about this as well, even though it's all head sim for me at this point. I've seen a fair bit of advanced sensors guri and supernatural, regen jedi in my play group, and I think it's going to be a bit like that - highly maneuverable aces that are tough to get shots on at all, and often evade even if you do manage to shoot at them.

I'm wondering what the counter play is going to look like. And that's the reason I haven't given up hope on this, I do think there's going to be counter play.

It's still only three hull - and for all the dice / modifiers, there's the potential for them to die quickly. So Anakin had better not be behind a prox mine carrying Emon or Sol, and he'd better stay clear of Doug Howe's Thermal Detonator carrying Bombers.

It is block-able. Intuitive Controls is interesting, but it's weaker than Advanced Sensor Guri, or SNR Jedi, because the pre-movement happens before you see where blockers are going to be. Sense might be a key counter, paired with a double repositioning blocker (Intimidation Arvel?)

But yeah, without the right tools to compete with him, that Anakin build is going to be really tough.

I would love to fit a Sense in this, but... Flying this in Fly Casual is quite decent. Although it bugs out on the Obi ability.

(2) Brilliant Evasion

(2) Predator

(2) Brilliant Evasion

(2) Predator

(32) "Odd Ball" [Nimbus-class V-wing]

(3) R4-P44

(2) Alpha-3B "Besh"

(3) Precision Ion Engines

(45) Ric Olié [Naboo Royal N-1 Starfighter]

(5) R2-C4

(2) Predator

9 hours ago, SDCC said:

Seyn Marana Marksmanship. Oicunn blocker. Nothing else needed :D :D

My minis haven't had the chance to get any table time so this is a purely digital temperate take.

- Once I was really able to wrap my head around the the level of shenanigans Intuitive Controls enables ETAs because became amazingly fun to fly. Even naked these little ships are a joy.

- Autoblaster/Marksmanship lives up to the hype. The raw lethality the combo adds more than compensates for the craft's fragility. Thank the maker that R7-A7 is unique.

- That said, I don't think the Actis will be loosing that cannon or talent slots anytime soon nor will Autoblasters be tweaked. Those slots are what make the ship stand out versus the Aethersprite, without them there's not all that much to sell the ship. My gut says it's far more likely we'll see the ETA-2 loose the mod slot to nip that "four green dice with an evade plus Brilliant Evasion" nonsense in the bud. And it's a but more canon accurate for what little that's worth.

- Speaking of "cannon" accurate, there's something about the following list that speaks to me and I can't put my finger on it

Delta-7 Aethersprite - Jedi Knight - 49
Jedi Knight - (37)
Delta-7B (12)

Jedi Knight - (37)
Delta-7B (12)

Jedi Knight - (37)
Delta-7B (12)

Eta-2 Actis - Jedi General - 51
Jedi General - (41)
Ion Cannon (6)
Battle Meditation (4)

Total: 198

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

3 hours ago, GuacCousteau said:

Not being able to print a mobile ship with a cannon slot ever seems like a problem to me. That’s probably the reason Mod options are so disappointingly limited in 2e: since almost every ship has the slot by default, it’s hard to make an option that won’t be absolutely busted on something without making everything absolute garbage or overpriced.