ETA Reactions

By Boom Owl, in X-Wing

34 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Kylo + 3 Conc Passive SFs

I know this will sound dumb, but at 2 points aren't Ion PS SFs well worth it? Either you're getting one hit anyway or you're ionizing a Jedi which is even better. Of course it takes away the chance of a first-hit crit, which is the major advantage of Concussion against the Eta. Still, the 12 points you save can buy you a Protorp for Kylo or a massive bid against Obi-Wan.

Edited by ClassicalMoser
3 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

I know this will sound dumb, but at 2 points aren't Ion PS SFs well worth it? Either you're getting one hit anyway or you're ionizing a Jedi which is even better. Of course it takes away the chance of a first-hit crit, which is the major advantage of Concussion against the Eta. Still, the 12 points you save can buy you a Protorp for Kylo or a massive bid against Obi-Wan.

Ion missiles are stupid cheap right now. Maybe a mix? 'Usually' diminishing value in ionizing multiple opposing ships.

6 minutes ago, mcintma said:

Ion missiles are stupid cheap right now. Maybe a mix? 'Usually' diminishing value in ionizing multiple opposing ships.

I thin the point is more to focus fire and push ion on something rather than to attempt on multiples.

3-attack for 2 points (5 with passive) is still good on almost anything. RZ-1 looking really tempting right now. Ion Phoenix is 30 points and can take a talent (including but not limited to Starbird Slash). Ion Bandit is 24. 2-point Tracers make these really scary in volume.

Does Vader like Ion missiles?

Edited by ClassicalMoser
2 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

I'd say Ion is under-rated, but that doesn't necessarily translate into Ion-builds being better than Conc builds...

Also, Ion isn't Hyperspace. That's potentially a dealbreaker.

Edited by theBitterFig
5 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

I'd say Ion is under-rated, but that doesn't necessarily translate into Ion-builds being better than Conc builds...

Also, Ion isn't Hyperspace. That's potentially a nail in the coffin.

No way. Ions are great at 2 points. My vultures are scary.

It doesn’t matter if something is hyperspace.

Edited by Blail Blerg
16 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

It doesn’t matter if something is hyperspace.

I mean, it does for some folks. The original list suggestion of Kylo + 3 Conc SFs was listed by @Boom Owl and was written specifically as a HS list. Swapping to Ions means swapping formats, which some folks are unwilling to do.

That said, "Nail in the Coffin" is perhaps the wrong phrasing. Switched to "Dealbreaker."

19 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

No way. Ions are great at 2 points. My vultures are scary.

Did you misread under-rated for over-rated? I'm saying Ions are good. In the right list, though, maybe Concussions are better. Vultures have cheapness, and that goes great with cheap Ions for a lot of damage at a low price. In the Kylo list specifically, I think there's a reasonable case for keeping Concussions... someone might not need the bid based on their local meta, or might not value other upgrades for Kylo.

Again, I think Ions are great. Are they automatically always better than Concussion? Nah.

3 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Im not sure havent given it to much thought. For hyper I think if I want to run Kylo + Squad and im not running Kylo + 3 Conc SFs id probably look at Kylo + SF SF SF + Rivas or Kylo + 4 Named FOs or Kylo + Holo or Vonreg + 2. Not sure which of those lists has the best matchup against i5+ ETA stuff.

Edited by Boom Owl
1 hour ago, theBitterFig said:

I mean, it does for some folks. The original list suggestion of Kylo + 3 Conc SFs was listed by @Boom Owl and was written specifically as a HS list. Swapping to Ions means swapping formats, which some folks are unwilling to do.

That said, "Nail in the Coffin" is perhaps the wrong phrasing. Switched to "Dealbreaker."

Did you misread under-rated for over-rated? I'm saying Ions are good. In the right list, though, maybe Concussions are better. Vultures have cheapness, and that goes great with cheap Ions for a lot of damage at a low price. In the Kylo list specifically, I think there's a reasonable case for keeping Concussions... someone might not need the bid based on their local meta, or might not value other upgrades for Kylo.

Again, I think Ions are great. Are they automatically always better than Concussion? Nah.

I may admit to some misreading under threat of torture. =D

(yeah, thanks. sorry)

Can someone explain to me how the Hyperspace Ring works?

Something like resistance Han pilot, lets you deploy anywhere on the field (with some restrictions), can be equipped by v-wings, delta-7s or eta-2s, they start docked to the ring and can deploy from it. The ring can only move when it has a ship docked, uses the docked ship's dial treating all basic maneuvers as speed one and substituting special maneuvers for a 90 or 180° turn on-site. When the docked ship gets fired, it's the ring that takes the hit and I believe once it's destroyed the ship can be automatically deployed from it.

Maybe I made some mistake, but it's basically that.

Oh, of course, the most important part: it's only legal in epic 😣

Edited by xanatos135
1 hour ago, xanatos135 said:

Something like resistance Han pilot, lets you deploy anywhere on the field (with some restrictions), can be equipped by v-wings, delta-7s or eta-2s, they start docked to the ring and can deploy from it. The ring can only move when it has a ship docked, uses the docked ship's dial treating all basic maneuvers as speed one and substituting special maneuvers for a 90 or 180° turn on-site. When the docked ship gets fired, it's the ring that takes the hit and I believe once it's destroyed the ship can be automatically deployed from it.

Maybe I made some mistake, but it's basically that.

Oh, of course, the most important part: it's only legal in epic 😣

So if you’re moving with the ring, if a delta 7 selects a 5 straight do you use the 1 template or do you still use the 5 but threat it as a 1 for the purpose of game effects (effects like R4)?

also, the ring has a 1 evade, 1 hull, and 2 shield. If you have the ring equipped do you use these stats until the ring is destroyed?

12 hours ago, Pooleman said:

So if you’re moving with the ring, if a delta 7 selects a 5 straight do you use the 1 template or do you still use the 5 but threat it as a 1 for the purpose of game effects (effects like R4)?

also, the ring has a 1 evade, 1 hull, and 2 shield. If you have the ring equipped do you use these stats until the ring is destroyed?

1) no, you execute a 1 straight, using the 1 straight template.

2) it is a docked ship. So, the starfighter can't be attacked, or attack. So, yes, you use the stats of the ring.

2 hours ago, Kreen said:

1) no, you execute a 1 straight, using the 1 straight template.

2) it is a docked ship. So, the starfighter can't be attacked, or attack. So, yes, you use the stats of the ring.

And it can’t be used in extended, right? Just epic?

2 hours ago, Pooleman said:

And it can’t be used in extended, right? Just epic?

Correct. The ring is not allowed in Extended (or Hyperspace) only in Epic and casual games at home.

On 12/5/2020 at 1:08 AM, Boom Owl said:

Possibly. I like the fact that Patience can get me 1 force when I would have had zero.

This has been my conundrum in list building. Brilliant Evasion is useless without a force charge, but having Patience could mean you are spending 2 Force charges on defense...

1 hour ago, Archangelspiv said:

This has been my conundrum in list building. Brilliant Evasion is useless without a force charge, but having Patience could mean you are spending 2 Force charges on defense...

So take Yoda with both upgrades 😄

14 hours ago, Archangelspiv said:

Patience for hovering and using force abilities, Evasion for hit and run?

17 hours ago, Archangelspiv said:

You can manage force, but you can’t manage getting hit. I’ve found BE to be invaluable on these ETA’s. It saves me more times than I can count.

I know some were not thrilled about the Actis coming with the hyperspace ring that wasn’t legal for standard play so I thought I’d post this here, I’ll post in the trade thread as well a little later. If anyone has no interest in this piece I’d be interested in trading for a several if any would like to get rid of them. I’m interested in the ring and associated cards. I have some promos or maybe we could work something else out. PM me if interested, thanks.

After playing a couple handfuls of games on Fly Casual I can say it's one heck of a nice ship. (I may not like it's looks but respect is due for performance.) It's certainly not my normal playstyle as it's a glass cannon, and I'm always fighting the urge to choose violence. It 'feels' more fragile than even tie interceptors because if you blank out the points investment is steeper. But jeez if you're not sure what to use, try it with Marksmanship, R7-A7, and Autoblasters. You get something in the bullseye and out of arc. It's pretty much dead. One thing I've noticed is you can maneuver behind a gas cloud for cover, then Intuitive control to barrel roll so you're maneuver doesn't go over and strain you and rob your action. I think predator is also nice if you're not going to put a cannon on it. Elusive, Outmaneuver and Juke can probably also be a lot of fun.

Overall I think new players will end up disappointed as it'll melt under fire going head to head, and it's reliant on getting the bullseye consistently. (Though if you have success with CLT Deltas I think you won't struggle at all with this ship). Experienced Jedi flyers are going to love it.

Where can I see which ships can use the hyperspace docking ring? Does it physically fits with the Torrent?

1 hour ago, Odanan said:

Where can I see which ships can use the hyperspace docking ring? Does it physically fits with the Torrent?

It is only the V-Wing, Delta, and Actis. I wish it fit the Torrent. Wish isn't a strong enough word, either, but it's the closest approximation.

11 minutes ago, Kreen said:

It is only the V-Wing, Delta, and Actis. I wish it fit the Torrent. Wish isn't a strong enough word, either, but it's the closest approximation.

I believe canonically, the Torrent used a different hyperspace ring to accommodate the dorsal wing. We'll probably need to go aftermarket for those rings.

7 hours ago, Odanan said:

Honestly I couldn't the v wing to actually fit in it. So you can take the upgrade on it but it might be immersion breaking.

Honestly I am fairly sure I'm going to break hyperspace ring.

1 hour ago, reqent said:

Honestly I couldn't the v wing to actually fit in it. So you can take the upgrade on it but it might be immersion breaking.

Honestly I am fairly sure I'm going to break hyperspace ring.

This guy managed to do it.