Hyperspace: No, sod off. Full stop.

By KCDodger, in X-Wing

16 minutes ago, 5050Saint said:

While I am definitely not a generic player and am happy to see a dip in generic play, this claim rings incredibly hollow. Plenty o' folks like playing generics.

unknown.png

Facts don't care about your feelings. Even with the "busted" spamtex, generics were still largely not played. This is just ship racism.

How does generic vs ace sanctimony come into this?

HS is not one, nor the other. Some, you only get aces. Others, you only get generics. It's still a choice.

Is....is it... people just pushing their agenda again?

14 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Oh, now I get it. You're prone to excessive bouts of hyperbole supported by an unearned sense of self-importance.

Everything totally makes sense now, thanks! 🙂

Well, I am posting on this forum so that tracks.

8 minutes ago, Chumbalaya said:

Facts don't care about your feelings. Even with the "busted" spamtex, generics were still largely not played. This is just ship racism.

Either you use the events to draw conclusions or you dismiss them. You can't cherry pick and expect that your opinion is not immediately dismissed.

Let's be real about something in X-wing for a minute now. There's an initiative system for a reason, and thanks to second edition it actually means something now more than ever. Because i1 all the way to 6 have merits, instead of the old way where it was are you a PS9? Okay then are you higher or lower? And that's all that really mattered most of the time in the end. Now at least we get more staggered activation with these cool round that in planning you have to think through a few things. That's only possible because generics are viable. That's a good thing.

I'm not too unlike @KCDodger where if I could just play generics all day I'd be just fine. Generics plus an ace are mostly what I end up at. I like the leader+troop aesthetic and feel. And while sure they just turned on the 4xLAAT switch, but not in my favorite format HS, doesn't bother me. I can still go do that for extended.

6 minutes ago, Chumbalaya said:

Missed opportunity to say "it's an older code, but it checks out"

I am disappoint, man. Are you even a fan anymore?

Your going down a path I can't follow! 😭

5 minutes ago, Chumbalaya said:

Why purposefully be antagonistic?

8 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Either you use the events to draw conclusions or you dismiss them. You can't cherry pick and expect that your opinion is not immediately dismissed.

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

3 minutes ago, gennataos said:

Why purposefully be antagonistic?

I wasn't aware pointing out prejudice was antagonistic. I'll do better in the future.

1 hour ago, Chumbalaya said:

If X-Wing as we know it wasn't over and there wasn't, y'know, a pandemic going on, I would probably be a lot more interested in this.

Hyperspace is cool because it's accessible to new players and it challenges existing players by limiting their options and forcing them to get creative. Extended is an eternal trash fire because the card pool is too large and too full of cancerous 1.0 holdover. Hyperspace is the only option for a fun game.

And believe me, you are the only person who likes generics. The community has been burning over generics daring to be playable.

There are several assertions in here that are rather hyperbolic.

No, Hyperspace is not the only option for a fun game. It might be your preferred method (more power to you), but it is definitely not the only option.

The “only person who likes generics” also seems to be more venting than a concrete fact.

There’s also the debate whether Hyperspace even is the “new player” option. It stopped being that even before the rotation version of the format was introduced when it introduced non-reprinted ships into the format.

25 minutes ago, Chumbalaya said:

unknown.png

Feelings have nothing to do with it. The facts that you posted show 27-31% of people playing generics. That is a lot. 303 is a significant amount of 969. 245 is a significant amount of 908.

17 minutes ago, Chumbalaya said:

I wasn't aware pointing out prejudice was antagonistic. I'll do better in the future.

I don't think you will.

1 hour ago, Chumbalaya said:

Extended is an eternal trash fire because the card pool is too large and too full of cancerous 1.0 holdover. Hyperspace is the only option for a fun game.

And believe me, you are the only person who likes generics. The community has been burning over generics daring to be playable.

Two buckets of BS in the same post. Nice.

13 hours ago, KCDodger said:

It's grossly transparent Hyperspace is being used as the "buy pls" format and it has like... Very few interesting options. Don't get why so many factions have so few generic options like, come on I don't even LIKE running named pilots most of the time... Ugh. Names names names!

Come on. This sucks.

I mean buying stuff is the point. Asmodee wants to sell more ships. They could either start including new content in reprints (which wouldn't have gone ever well), replicate the 1.0 arms race (turrets, autothrusters, TLT, harpoons (sounds miserable), go back on ensuring players that they don't need to collect out of faction (honestly probably for the best), or they could make a format that forces players out of their comfort zone which hopefully results in new purchases. Hyperspace is the least off putting of those options.

I liked hyperspace because my local scene was so stale. Enough of us were going to system opens that we embraced the format. The limitations led to experimentation that just isn't necessary in extended.

Another thing about the Format is we don't know what is coming next. Historically the next wave gets announced when upcoming release becomes available that may change with AMG. Maybe a bunch of new generics are coming in phoenix squadron or Skystrike academy (assuming those are next).

How many people are actually going to play a lot of hyperspace this season? I cannot see stores hosting tournaments until at least April or May. So why not shake things up?

Personally I find these hyperspace changes to be truly disgusting.

They literally put the kibosh on all of my lists, including the Darth Maul/ Zam Wessel list I was looking forward to. Also, from a CIS perspective, there's really nothing here that "promotes creativity". I was starting to think that CIS is really getting into a good place where it actually has a couple of playstyle options. this hyperspace change just undid all of that. More droid swarms I guess.

2 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Oh, now I get it. You're prone to excessive bouts of hyperbole supported by an unearned sense of self-importance.

I don't think I've ever agreed with an entire statement from that user. Sometimes I'm following for a little while and then – what?

Case in point here; most people that love hyperspace prefer generics. Someone who manages to maintain that "Extended is and will always be a dumpster fire" (a laughable notion) while at the same time saying that " The community has been burning over generics daring to be playable" just doesn't seem worth listening to.

Here's the thing for me. I've always loved Hyperspace, but only as an alternative competitive format. Hyperspace is where all of the difficult list-building decisions happen. Extended is the state of the game as a whole. Balance is more important for Extended, and change is more important for Hyperspace. I probably play Extended about twice as much as I play Hyperspace but I enjoy both equally.

On that note, I fully welcome the new Hyperspace season. It looks exactly like what I would want Hyperspace to look like. All your obvious choices are taken away so you have to figure out what actually works in the new setting.

Certainly it could have the effect of pushing ships, but I see no reason why that would need to be true. I bought 6 Interceptors before they were legal in Hyperspace. Same for the TIE Bomber. Now that I can play them there, I... will? I guess. But as always, you can make this game about "Getting" the best stuff or about doing your best with what you have. It's up to you.

Hyperspace is dead. Long live Hyperspace.

12 hours ago, Matanui3 said:

But, my lord... this is what you wanted.

For real, though, people have been complaining about too much generic efficiency, now we have somebody complaining about having to take named pilots. There really is no winning.

3scq6o.jpg

The forums are not a hive mind.

3 minutes ago, Black_Rabbit_Inle said:

Also, from a CIS perspective, there's really nothing here that "promotes creativity". I was starting to think that CIS is really getting into a good place where it actually has a couple of playstyle options. this hyperspace change just undid all of that. More droid swarms I guess.

Three new ships in the faction, and the best you got is "droid swarm, I guess"? Mate, this is the exact mentality that eschews creativity.

What were you working with on the Zam/Maul front? Surely lacking Maul doesn't write off the Firespray entirely. Perhaps we can expand from there and find a list that still has Zam.

17 minutes ago, Black_Rabbit_Inle said:

Personally I find these hyperspace changes to be truly disgusting.

They literally put the kibosh on all of my lists, including the Darth Maul/ Zam Wessel list I was looking forward to. Also, from a CIS perspective, there's really nothing here that "promotes creativity". I was starting to think that CIS is really getting into a good place where it actually has a couple of playstyle options. this hyperspace change just undid all of that. More droid swarms I guess.

And that was always the danger with Hyperspace. A rotation system means there can be seasons where you don’t like the options available. That’s just the nature of the format. Maybe next season will be more to your liking, as this one might be more to another player’s liking.

I find Hyperspace is a great format to watch on channels like GSP. Seeing the lists people come up with is great and I learn alot during every event.

But flying in a HS event? I have such limited playing time that I prefer to fly in Extended events so I can use all of my ships.

I don't hate these changes, but can't say i'm a fan either. The reductionism is a bit too much in some cases.

Empire for example, is super limited to generic spam playstyles. Players who generally like ace or 4 good pilots will be forced to play something else on empire, play a different faction or just not play Hyperspace.

I get that this was an attempt at diversity, but instead of limiting options inside of archetypes with tried and true paths, we just got half the archetypes snapped out of existence. This feels very sloppy to me, and very very non-consumer friendly

4 minutes ago, LeMightyASP said:

I don't hate these changes, but can't say i'm a fan either. The reductionism is a bit too much in some cases.

Empire for example, is super limited to generic spam playstyles. Players who generally like ace or 4 good pilots will be forced to play something else on empire, play a different faction or just not play Hyperspace.

I get that this was an attempt at diversity, but instead of limiting options inside of archetypes with tried and true paths, we just got half the archetypes snapped out of existence. This feels very sloppy to me, and very very non-consumer friendly

Which, again, was always the danger of Hyperspace. It was highly unlikely that we were gonna get a winner from everyone’s perspective each rotation.

I'd love to see any sort of evidence to the claim that it is grossly transparent that Hyperspace is the "buy pls" format, given these changes. It looks far more like they (mostly) killed either generics or named for different ships dependent on what was most successful of late...but even that isn't actually backed by anything concrete.

I for one am happy they're forcing players to be uniquely creative with one of the two formats.

There are certain styles of play that I've consistently enjoyed over time, but the events I've been forced to play something completely different have been a ton of fun as well.

Can we take a minute to talk about the rebellion I hyperspace and how it DID NOT CHANGE?!?!?

19 minutes ago, SabineKey said:

Which, again, was always the danger of Hyperspace. It was highly unlikely that we were gonna get a winner from everyone’s perspective each rotation.

It's not about balance, it's about not being forced into certain decisions. Last Hyperspace you atleast had the choice of going Duchess instead of the Extended Soontir, even if it didn't perform well. Now you just don't get a choice.

And i think it's fine for most factions, but it looks particularly egregious on the empire.