New limited Luke Skywalker special edition

By KaLeu, in Star Wars: Legion

On 10/23/2020 at 1:04 PM, arnoldrew said:

Sure, if you really think you're entitled to this particular toy.

I mean, it’s ok to be sad when you wanted something, someone tells you that it exists, or will exists, and then follows up with: But also, you can’t have one for arbitrary reasons.

Then it’s ok to be a bit upset about the situation you’re in.

The Hobby store I buy legion expansions at said they qualify for the offer and said I’ll be one of the 3 people to get one of the Luke. Very good scores for December (if they actually get them)

1 hour ago, Derrault said:

I mean, it’s ok to be sad when you wanted something, someone tells you that it exists, or will exists, and then follows up with: But also, you can’t have one for arbitrary reasons.

Then it’s ok to be a bit upset about the situation you’re in.

If FFG won't sell a flight suit Luke, there are others who will, and I'm not talking about the $500 scalpers.

On 10/23/2020 at 10:24 AM, buckero0 said:

Can i complain if i have little to no chance of getting one?

Only if I get to join you

1 hour ago, ninclouse2000 said:

The Hobby store I buy legion expansions at said they qualify for the offer and said I’ll be one of the 3 people to get one of the Luke. Very good scores for December (if they actually get them)

My LGS also said I will be one of them, mainly because I made them aware it was a thing. I normally spend my money on xwing there but I am a frequent flyer on a first name basis with some of the staff so I guess LGS loyalty does pay off.

1 hour ago, ScummyRebel said:

My LGS also said I will be one of them, mainly because I made them aware it was a thing. I normally spend my money on xwing there but I am a frequent flyer on a first name basis with some of the staff so I guess LGS loyalty does pay off.

So did your LGS take it at face value that this event will happen or were they able to verify it once you made them aware?

My LGS is using the 3 they are getting for prize support in tournaments. So maybe I'll get one.....?

Cool mini, it's gonna make alot of ebay sellers rich. Doubt we will have much chance of getting one outside the us. Enjoy

I'm just gonna sit here an continue to express how salty it makes me they keep doing this. Honestly, part of me wants to ship a mold to some shady Chinese company so they can put out real numbers of the bootleg. A big **** you to FFG for embracing the worst aspects of this industry.

I wonder if this is the thing no one asked for? I don't think he said it was a brand new release just something in the next wave.

18 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

I'm just gonna sit here an continue to express how salty it makes me they keep doing this. Honestly, part of me wants to ship a mold to some shady Chinese company so they can put out real numbers of the bootleg. A big **** you to FFG for embracing the worst aspects of this industry.

Why? If you’re going to bootleg, there are already plenty of resin STLs you can 3d print yourself or pay someone to print. There’s no need to ship a mold somewhere.

I honestly don’t understand this saltiness.... in what universe does someone else getting a good thing automatically make your life worse when the alternative was nobody got the thing? It’s not like someone rolled up and stole it out of your hands. Nobody owes you minis. You buy them because you enjoy them (at least i hope you do).

I would be more understanding about a game piece that has different stats and costs/abilities that’s not available to you, like their other logistical nightmares. When it’s only aesthetic, it doesn’t impact your actual play experience

40 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

Why? If you’re going to bootleg, there are already plenty of resin STLs you can 3d print yourself or pay someone to print. There’s no need to ship a mold somewhere.

I honestly don’t understand this saltiness.... in what universe does someone else getting a good thing automatically make your life worse when the alternative was nobody got the thing? It’s not like someone rolled up and stole it out of your hands. Nobody owes you minis. You buy them because you enjoy them (at least i hope you do).

I would be more understanding about a game piece that has different stats and costs/abilities that’s not available to you, like their other logistical nightmares. When it’s only aesthetic, it doesn’t impact your actual play experience

I can tell you right now, the resin STLs NEVER print at the quality an injection mold kit has. Ever.

That's not why I'm pissed. I have The Obi, I even got it for a fair price (only $120). I didn't want the Vader, but I've had opportunity there too. I'm pissed because FFG is embracing a **** business technique used to self-aggrandize their value that makes it so not everyone in a community has access to product, usually, I might add, targeting those who cannot afford the inherent mark up by second hand sellers. It basically creates a condition where people who cannot justify paying $300 for a single mini get locked out of merchandise. FFG may as well say "**** poor people, look how expensive our stuff is" It's a practice that makes FFG look more valuable, by creating a high demand for a free or low value item, but has a lasting NEGATIVE effect on the members who cannot afford, or lack the connections to get exclusive merch.

Let's be real too, they do this with STANDARD merch too. Or maybe we should start a poll on here about how many players are unhappy about not having access to Phase 2s, B2s, ATRTs, STAPS, ARCS, BXs, and before that DTS and Shores. They also do this with EVERY line they make. Talk to me about the K-wing, Y-wing reprints during 1.0 or the Arquittens and standard starfighter packs in Armada.

FFG practices toxic business techniques. Paywalls are bad. Period.

Exclusives in any gaming community are wrong. I would say especially so to a company with such a universally desired IP that markets the game as assessible. The only exception I'd be willing to make is those exclusive items used to incentivize competitive play.

Edited by Darth Sanguis
31 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

I can tell you right now, the resin STLs NEVER print at the quality an injection mold kit has. Ever.

That's not why I'm pissed. I have The Obi, I even got it for a fair price (only $120). I didn't want the Vader, but I've had opportunity there too. I'm pissed because FFG is embracing a **** business technique used to self-aggrandize their value that makes it so not everyone in a community has access to product, usually, I might add, targeting those who cannot afford the inherent mark up by second hand sellers. It basically creates a condition where people who cannot justify paying $300 for a single mini get locked out of merchandise. FFG may as well say "**** poor people, look how expensive our stuff is" It's a practice that makes FFG look more valuable, by creating a high demand for a free or low value item, but has a lasting NEGATIVE effect on the members who cannot afford, or lack the connections to get exclusive merch.

Let's be real too, they do this with STANDARD merch too. Or maybe we should start a poll on here about how many players are unhappy about not having access to Phase 2s, B2s, ATRTs, STAPS, ARCS, BXs, and before that DTS and Shores. They also do this with EVERY line they make. Talk to me about the K-wing, Y-wing reprints during 1.0 or the Arquittens and standard starfighter packs in Armada.

Exclusives in any gaming community are wrong. I would say especially so to a company with such a universally desired IP that markets the game as assessible. The only exception I'd be willing to make is those exclusive items used to incentivize competitive play.

By this rationale, should OP prize kits not exist, or should they just come with enough stuff to ensure everyone who participates gets one of every possible prize?

I don't see an issue with a limited, alternate version of a model that is IDENTICAL gameplay wise to the original. If it had different rules or something else that made it different on the tabletop, then I could understand the anger. CIS is my first love and I don't have any alternate sculpts available to me at all. Sometimes things just aren't fair.

14 minutes ago, Mokoshkana said:

By this rationale, should OP prize kits not exist, or should they just come with enough stuff to ensure everyone who participates gets one of every possible prize ?

I don't see an issue with a limited, alternate version of a model that is IDENTICAL gameplay wise to the original. If it had different rules or something else that made it different on the tabletop, then I could understand the anger. CIS is my first love and I don't have any alternate sculpts available to me at all. Sometimes things just aren't fair.

OP kits, unlike random exclusive minis, incentivize playing in tournaments/leagues thus grow the game, and, are not locked behind a paywall . Every member who joins that tournament has equal and reasonable cost access as well as opportunity. That IS NOT the case with the event exclusive and now the random exclusive minis they are producing.

If it were up to me though all exclusive minis they make would be timed exclusives, and released with OP kits. As soon as the new kit is out the exclusive mini from the previous kit should be posted to their store as a standard item available to everyone.

On 10/23/2020 at 12:44 PM, ScummyRebel said:

This would be the first time for legion at least (as well as for xwing fwiw) that FFG has had an exclusive model available for stores as a reward for orders. My intuition suggests this was going to originally be a Con exclusive but the Con was cancelled with far enough lead time that they were able to change up the order run to make them more widely available (and not have Con Exclusive on the box). However, that’s my guess not a confirmed fact.

Almost certainly the case that this was some con exclusive for something meant to only be available at worlds. FFG must be sitting on a bunch of stuff like there for their various games. FFG did a lottery for the X-Wing con exclusive and there was all kinds of salt about that. This way, they put the salt on the local stores and diffuse it out. My hope is they do more of this in the future, just with larger runs so there is less salt. Alt sculpts are cool and people like collectables.

blah, the double posting bug.

Edited by Mep

I remain completely okay with limited edition, convention exclusive, swag. Getting extremely bent out of shape by not being able to get all the toys is... odd.

32 minutes ago, KalEl814 said:

I remain completely okay with limited edition, convention exclusive, swag. Getting extremely bent out of shape by not being able to get all the toys is... odd .

See

3 hours ago, Darth Sanguis said:

I don't have a problem getting the minis. I can afford it. I can also replicate to almost complete accuracy because I know how to resin cast. There are those who can't and FFG is willingly participating in the activity of making and distributing things that many players cannot access because they cannot afford unreasonable reseller markup . Not because these people didn't want the item, or have enough for the regular price point of the item. Not because of a lack of FFG production capability. Because FFG want their products to look more valuable.

That's why I'm "bent out of shape".

This isn't about FFG wanting to give the community a cool new mini, or they'd do a full release (or timed/ OP support) this is a marketing ploy to make their IP seem more valuable.

The most annoying part of this is the complete lack of distribution control they do with these minis. The majority of the people who snagged one of the Obi minis at Essen Spiel didn't even want it, just wanted to sell it for 10-20x MSRP. (People were reporting as it happened that because of the way the vendors got first access very few people visiting and not vending could even get them!). With this Luke too, a few lucky communities with groups will have them as prize support or something, the rest will go to store owners who have no Legion group to be turned around on Ebay for $200-$300 bucks while many players who want one but cannot afford the resale price get screwed over.

All of this is especially **** when new players start asking "Why can't I find that Obi, or those phase 2s for less than 10x MSRP?"

It's a bad business practice and I'm gonna retain my salt about it. **** FFG.

Edited by Darth Sanguis
3 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

See

I don't have a problem getting the minis. I can afford it. I can also replicate to almost complete accuracy because I know how to resin cast. There are those who can't and FFG is willingly participating in the activity of making and distributing things that many players cannot access because they cannot afford unreasonable reseller markup . Not because these people didn't want the item, or have enough for the regular price point of the item. Not because of a lack of FFG production capability. Because FFG want their products to look more valuable.

That's why I'm "bent out of shape".

This isn't about FFG wanting to give the community a cool new mini, or they'd do a full release (or timed/ OP support) this is a marketing ploy to make their IP seem more valuable.

The most annoying part of this is the complete lack of distribution control they do with these mini. The majority of the people who snagged one of the Obi minis at Essen Spiel didn't even want it, just wanted to sell it for 10-20x MSRP. Many people said because of the way the vendors got first access very few people visiting and not vending could even get them!). r something, the rest will go to owners who have no Legion group and be turned around on Ebay for $200-$300 bucks while many players who want one and cannot afford the resale price get screwed over.

All of this is especially **** when new players start asking "Why can't I find that Obi, or those phase 2s for less than 10x MSRP?"

It's a bad business practice and I'm gonna retain my salt about it. **** FFG.

LE swag minis that FFG gives away aren’t a marketing ploy to make their IP seem more valuable and I don’t understand how anyone could come to that conclusion at all.

3 hours ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Exclusives in any gaming community are wrong.

First, do a search of my posts in the Legion section of the forums. I’ve been ruthless about their logistical fiascos and disaster that is the Ffg supply chain.

It isn’t about paywalls; it’s that they just genuinely stink at some skills of business such as adequate forecasting of demand. I still have never seen a P2 clone in my life and I’d love to have one or two for my army.

Remember - ffg makes no additional money off eBay entrepreneurs, scalpers, or anyone else but someone somewhere buying their inventory from them direct or via a retailer selling who bought from them.

2 hours ago, Darth Sanguis said:

OP kits, unlike random exclusive minis, incentivize playing in tournaments/leagues thus grow the game, and, are not locked behind a paywall . Every member who joins that tournament has equal and reasonable cost access as well as opportunity. That IS NOT the case with the event exclusive and now the random exclusive minis they are producing.

If it were up to me though all exclusive minis they make would be timed exclusives, and released with OP kits. As soon as the new kit is out the exclusive mini from the previous kit should be posted to their store as a standard item available to everyone.

You keep using this term paywall. I don’t think it means what you think it means.

First, we all have to pay money to have our products, period. Thus by your logic EVERY mini is behind a paywall.

Second, a paywall in gaming terms means there is a superior product, upgrade, character etc behind a block you have to pay additionally for. These exclusives have no superiority to them beyond cosmetic and you want it. It has no in game impact (especially now that we use a standardized size for LoS).

Are event OP a “paywall”? Because there is OP support for those big con events you can’t get anywhere else... just like the con exclusive.

Lastly, if a tournament mini was made for sale after the tournaments were over and a new kit came in, that would decrease the incentive to play.

2 minutes ago, KalEl814 said:

LE swag minis that FFG gives away aren’t a marketing ploy to make their IP seem more valuable and I don’t understand how anyone could come to that conclusion at all.

Because they KNOW they'll sell on Ebay for $300 a piece.

2 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

beyond cosmetic

Implying this isn't 100% enough to consider it a paywall.

1 minute ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Because they KNOW they'll sell on Ebay for $300 a piece.

On which they make no money. This is deeply conspiratorial thinking and I have absolutely no idea where it’s coming from.

Admittedly a dumb anger induced post

Edited by Darth Sanguis