New limited Luke Skywalker special edition

By KaLeu, in Star Wars: Legion

FFG marks their OP, game night, and promo kits, tourneys, and promotional items as “not for resale” and they end up on eBay all the time, completely intact. They’re either being resold by store employees or given out as swag to customers who flip them. It’s just not worth the effort for FFG to prevent this stuff from being scalped. People got bent out of shape about the X-Wing limited Naboo ship, and that was done as a raffle, direct to customers... it doesn’t get more fair than that for something limited.

Honestly the only thing that makes sense to do is accept that limited edition stuff is going to come out as raffles, preorder promos, convention swag, etc., and just live with it if you don’t get it. Honestly, going to conventions or tournaments can be really expensive if they’re not near your home; I can’t bring myself to get mad at someone who offsets the cost of the trip by flipping something for more than they paid for it.

12 minutes ago, KalEl814 said:

FFG marks their OP, game night, and promo kits, tourneys, and promotional items as “not for resale” and they end up on eBay all the time, completely intact.

Yes because they don't enforce it. All they'd need to do is enforce it. It's not like it'd be hard they do just fine enforcing MAPs.

18 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Yes because they don't enforce it. All they'd need to do is enforce it. It's not like it'd be hard they do just fine enforcing MAPs.

Honestly, how prey tell would they enforce it? Please explain why you think it would be so easy to enforce such a thing.

12 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Enforcing it would take time and energy that just isn’t worth the effort at all. What is FFG going to do, have someone on staff who mines eBay, Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, etc., find where the sellers are, determine what FLGS it likely came from, and reach out to them? Asset tag each kit with something uniquely identifiable but also permanent / part of the swag itself? And this assumes it’s the FLGS that’s doing this, I don’t see anything wrong with a store giving out swag to loyal customers, and if that customer decides to flip it... again, what are they going to do about it?

“Enforcing” a MAP is a horse of a different color, they’re not remotely comparable.

Asmodee won't even help customers with missing parts anymore. There's no way they are spending money to monitor what game shops are doing with the stuff they sent them.

7 minutes ago, Lochlan said:

Asmodee won't even help customers with missing parts anymore.

Yeah that ticks me off too. Bought a 2nd (or 3rd) Imperial Squadrons I pack and got an extra Interceptor and missing a Bomber. Haven't bothered to follow up because I know it will be a huge hassle.

1 hour ago, Mokoshkana said:

Honestly, how prey tell would they enforce it? Please explain why you think it would be so easy to enforce such a thing.

Product control for something as small scale as this isn't complicated. If Asmodee cared about the culture surrounding their products, it wouldn't take more than a little organizing.

Limited runs would be issued from Asmodee to an area distributor based on demand with tracked lot numbers and product numbers (seeing as these runs are limited tagging boxes with this info isn't complicated). As seen on the alliance website the alliance areas break into: East, Midwest, Southwest, West, West again, and international. The area distributor, who already has service reps assigned to each store in their network would then distribute orders of the limited runs through the reps, as they already do for regular product, (Or did, with Asmodee direct it seems possible to cut out the middle man letting Asmodee track these pieces internally making this even easier, but what do I know?). The reps would have each store complete and sign the affidavit written above and submit that to the OP team for record (as I know they've done for various other reason when working with MAPs). Once the orders have been issued, the (AMG? FFG? Who knows anymore) OP team would take over. The info collected is info they already allegedly use for balancing (lists and basic contact info same as collected during regional events or higher), so all they'd have to do is organize it by store and archive it with these affidavits, not a complicated task. From there it's just a matter of having a guy following up customer complaints, which based on the number of pissed off people on this forum alone would be enough to enforce this policy effectively.

53 minutes ago, KalEl814 said:

Enforcing it would take time and energy that just isn’t worth the effort at all. What is FFG going to do, have someone on staff who mines eBay, Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, etc., find where the sellers are, determine what FLGS it likely came from, and reach out to them? Asset tag each kit with something uniquely identifiable but also permanent / part of the swag itself? And this assumes it’s the FLGS that’s doing this, I don’t see anything wrong with a store giving out swag to loyal customers, and if that customer decides to flip it... again, what are they going to do about it?

“Enforcing” a MAP is a horse of a different color, they’re not remotely comparable.

Stores found violating this agreement won't be sold product or wouldn't be allowed to purchase OP related stuff in the future. Full stop.

Would it stop every single scalper? No. Would it foster a much better OP (or really just general ) culture around Legion? Absolutely.

19 minutes ago, Lochlan said:

Asmodee won't even help customers with missing parts anymore. There's no way they are spending money to monitor what game shops are doing with the stuff they sent them.

Let's be real that's the real issue here. Product control isn't complicated. Asmodee is just not interested in fostering a gaming community. They're interested in money. Which is why they've done nothing to prevent the scalper's markets on FFG items up to this point.

11 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Stores found violating this agreement won't be sold product or wouldn't be allowed to purchase OP related stuff in the future. Full stop.

Finding stores violating this process would be an enormous pain and absolutely not worth the effort. The people that care about this at all is an extremely vocal, extremely small minority. The notion that this should be anmyone’s job or even part of it is bananas.

@Darth Sanguis You cannot be serious. What you are asking for is not remotely feasible realistically without investing a ton of money in new hires and infrastructure to support it. Even if they did all of that, where is the ROI? How does holding stores "accountable" translate into more money? It won't because the people who want to game the system absolutely will do just that. Store owner's could have "special" events that are for members only and just sidestep all of this to have someone else sell the OP stuff online.

Ultimately, if they come down on the LGS selling their product, then that store loses its incentive to sell Asmodee products, which means that Asmodee loses money in the end.

9 minutes ago, KalEl814 said:

Finding stores violating this process would be an enormous pain and absolutely not worth the effort . The people that care about this at all is an extremely vocal, extremely small minority . The notion that this should be anmyone’s job or even part of it is bananas.

How?
Someone "vocal" walks into a LGS to sign up for one of these tournaments and finds out they are just selling them. They go to (AMG, FFG?)'s website> contact us> customer service> e-mail:

"Hey I went to X store, they're selling the limited runs at $40, no tournaments posted"

The guy in charge of tracking this stuff gets this email, he reviews his file, contacts people in relation to the store and when they didn't follow the guidelines get black listed.

3 minutes ago, Mokoshkana said:

@Darth Sanguis You cannot be serious. What you are asking for is not remotely feasible realistically without investing a ton of money in new hires and infrastructure to support it. Even if they did all of that, where is the ROI? How does holding stores "accountable" translate into more money?

Thanks for reiterating my point. It's all about money to some people.

Building a gaming community is the ROI. Getting people interested through events such as Painting Contests, Leagues, Casual nights, Tournaments, and Raffles means selling more product. That means making more money.

Local WH gamers won't touch the game, not because it's somehow more flawed than their own, because FFG/Asmodee have a long history of fostering scalpers markets. It's sad when you can't convince a group of people connected to arguably one of the most toxic communities on Earth to buy in because of toxic business practices.

9 minutes ago, Mokoshkana said:

people who want to game the system absolutely will do just that. Store owner's could have "special" events that are for members only and just sidestep all of this to have someone else sell the OP stuff online.

And if someone reports them, they're black listed.

9 minutes ago, Mokoshkana said:

Ultimately, if they come down on the LGS selling their product, then that store loses its incentive to sell Asmodee products, which means that Asmodee loses money in the end.

The LGS has more to lose than Asmodee. If they start playing chicken we all know who wins. It's not the game store who can barely keep it's numbers up while selling stuff like Legion and X-wing, I'll tell you that.

2 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

How?
Someone "vocal" walks into a LGS to sign up for one of these tournaments and finds out they are just selling them. They go to (AMG, FFG?)'s website> contact us> customer service> e-mail:

"Hey I went to X store, they're selling the limited runs at $40, no tournaments posted"

The guy in charge of tracking this stuff gets this email, he reviews his file, contacts people in relation to the store and when they didn't follow the guidelines get black listed.

Cool theory, but I literally just ordered from Asmodee, and after five days of a pending order, I submitted a ticket to cancel that order because my LGS finally got Phase 2's in stock. Fastforward SEVEN days, and my order ships. At that point I get this email:

Hi,

Thanks for messaging us. Because orders are processed as quickly as possible, it is not always possible to cancel or modify them. In this case, your order shipped before it could be modified. We do allow the return of unopened products in original condition within 30 days of delivery. You can read more information about our shipping and return policies at the links below.

https://store.us.asmodee.com/policy/shipping-policies/
https://store.us.asmodee.com/policy/return-policy/

They can't do CUSTOMER SERVICE correctly, and you think they are going to add some new requirements down the line properly?

8 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Thanks for reiterating my point. It's all about money to some people.

Building a gaming community is the ROI. Getting people interested through events such as Painting Contests, Leagues, Casual nights, Tournaments, and Raffles means selling more product. That means making more money.

Local WH gamers won't touch the game, not because it's somehow more flawed than their own, because FFG/Asmodee have a long history of fostering scalpers markets. It's sad when you can't convince a group of people connected to arguably one of the most toxic communities on Earth to buy in because of toxic business practices.

And if someone reports them, they're black listed.

The LGS has more to lose than Asmodee. If they start playing chicken we all know who wins. It's not the game store who can barely keep it's numbers up while selling stuff like Legion and X-wing, I'll tell you that.

Most businesses are in the business of MAKING money. It is incredibly easy for anyone to armchair quarterback. If your method is the best way, then back it up. Show me your store that is making hand over fist because you do things the right way. Or start a game company and build a product that blows everything else out of the water, and build it up to the point where you get the star wars license and can make your game the way you want.

Please do not take my words as attacks or personal insults (not my intention in the slightest). Asmodee sucks, and I really don't think they deserve any benefits here, but ultimately it probably isn't their fault (mostly). They answer to people at the top who only care about making money, and that is all they will ever care about. People who sit on boards don't care about actually growing the game, they care about getting more money. They are looking at projections for the next quarter or two as opposed to where things will be in five or ten years (when they will be long gone and off to ruining some other company).

Ultimately though, I cannot get hung up on limited edition stuff or prize support that has ZERO bearing on anything other than being aesthetically different. There are bigger fish to fry out there.

39 minutes ago, Mokoshkana said:

Cool theory, but I literally just ordered from Asmodee, and after five days of a pending order, I submitted a ticket to cancel that order because my LGS finally got Phase 2's in stock. Fastforward SEVEN days, and my order ships. At that point I get this email:

They can't do CUSTOMER SERVICE correctly, and you think they are going to add some new requirements down the line properly?

Most businesses are in the business of MAKING money. It is incredibly easy for anyone to armchair quarterback. If your method is the best way, then back it up. Show me your store that is making hand over fist because you do things the right way. Or start a game company and build a product that blows everything else out of the water, and build it up to the point where you get the star wars license and can make your game the way you want.

Please do not take my words as attacks or personal insults (not my intention in the slightest). Asmodee sucks, and I really don't think they deserve any benefits here, but ultimately it probably isn't their fault (mostly). They answer to people at the top who only care about making money, and that is all they will ever care about. People who sit on boards don't care about actually growing the game, they care about getting more money. They are looking at projections for the next quarter or two as opposed to where things will be in five or ten years (when they will be long gone and off to ruining some other company).

Ultimately though, I cannot get hung up on limited edition stuff or prize support that has ZERO bearing on anything other than being aesthetically different. There are bigger fish to fry out there.

The question was never, "you think they are going to add some new requirements down the line properly?"

The question was, "how could they have done this better?"

I answered that question honestly. Considering that question I'm not even sure how the conversation immediately turned into I'm an armchair quarter back for posting what I did, but here we are.

If what I wrote could be done, as that was what I answered, can you say you'd honestly take what we have now over what I wrote? If not then why the 3rd degree?

1 hour ago, Darth Sanguis said:

I borderline refuse to accept that anyone could sincerely believe this is an effective use of an employee’s time.

They’re promos. Not everyone gets them. Time to move on.

40 minutes ago, KalEl814 said:

I borderline refuse to accept that anyone could sincerely believe this is an effective use of an employee’s time.

They’re promos. Not everyone gets them. Time to move on.

It really depends on what they wanted to do with the IP and how they wanted to grow the game.

I get it, and it's fine. You don't care. It's trivial to you. Most people don't care, what's a couple hundred bucks or not getting a mini? Seems pretty unimportant.

I don't know if you organize any of the FFG Star Wars groups, but I organize two groups, and for such an apparently trivial thing, it creates a big impact .

I run demos with my stuff, I lend my own painted minis to new players, I purchase or make my own terrain and provide it for players to use, I host and organize the groups, help pair players outside social media circles, run events, often pay for tournament kits out of pocket to do so. I'm by no means perfect, but I am passionate about these games. When I have conversations with new people as they come in, asking about demos, admiring the painted minis our players bring, try to invite them into the community, and 3/4 of the time that conversation ends up turning to FFG's history of delayed reprints and scalped exclusive products, I see quite clearly what could be. Most of those players who bring it up don't buy in, not from a lack of an inviting community or an unfriendly environment, but because FFG/Asmodee has a long history of embracing toxic business tactics.

As you said. Let's just move on. No point in thinking it will change anyways.

Edited by Darth Sanguis

A *huge* thank you to my FLGS who just notified me that due to being a good long term customer (and having bought most of my Legion, X-Wing, and Armada collection from them over the years...) that they are giving me one of these figures. Totally unexpected and SUPER appreciated. Just ordered some more Legion stuff from them to say thanks. :) I really hope those of you that are still searching will find one.

2 hours ago, Digitalfiends said:

A *huge* thank you to my FLGS who just notified me that due to being a good long term customer (and having bought most of my Legion, X-Wing, and Armada collection from them over the years...) that they are giving me one of these figures. Totally unexpected and SUPER appreciated. Just ordered some more Legion stuff from them to say thanks. :) I really hope those of you that are still searching will find one.

2 of my FLGS did this to me also, and they both told me I spent more on Legion than anyone else at their stores. I don’t know if this says more about Legion, my area, or me... 😬

11 minutes ago, KalEl814 said:

2 of my FLGS did this to me also, and they both told me I spent more on Legion than anyone else at their stores. I don’t know if this says more about Legion, my area, or me... 😬

I hear ya. I’m a bit of a completion-ist so when I get into a product I tend to go ALL in and then some. My wife loves this... 😂 Legion is a great game and I enjoy playing it with my kid so I can justify the expense a little easier. :)

10 hours ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Honestly? There's plenty of ways FFG could handle kits like these better. FFG has already set up prize kit systems for various methods of play (Tournament Play, League Play, Casual Play). I'd do something like this:

1.) Presuming that each store that requested them got 3, start by simply adding a signed agreement (between the store and Asmodee) that reselling these kits outside the provided parameters would earn a FFG/Asmodee distribution ban, or prevent them from purchasing further OP prize support. (I know a local store got in trouble for advertising prices lower than the MAPs agreements specified and almost had his store pulled from their distribution chain).

2.) Establish the parameters for end user distribution.
2a.) One kit to be used as tournament 1st place prize support. (all players must submit lists and basic contact info)
2b.) One kit to be used as painting contest prize support/League play prize support/added to the raffle prize. (all players must submit picture of painted mini and attest they painted it themselves, or provide league lists, and submit basic contact info)
2c.) One kit is to be added to a randomly drawn raffle. (each person entering the raffle may only buy one ticket at a price no higher than $15. Further tickets may be added ((1 per person per event)) for participation rewards on casual play days, tournament participation, league participation, or painting days. (minimum participation required ((say 5 people?)) the period to add tickets before the raffle is drawn must be no less than 30 days and no longer than 90 days).

I'd love it if the local stores had access to the means to support these kind of events, but without official prize support that's actually worth it, these kits just sell for $40-$150 straight to whoever comes first or has more money.

I think the individual stores should determine how and at what price they sell them, or give them away or use them as prize support. If I owned a store I wouldn’t want someone telling me what I can and can’t do with my business.

Edited by ninclouse2000

Meanwhile FFG is laying off employees left and right. Yeah, they have no interest or desire to control OP kits. In fact, at this point, I am not sure they are even going to do OP kits anymore.

6 hours ago, Mep said:

Meanwhile FFG is laying off employees left and right. Yeah, they have no interest or desire to control OP kits. In fact, at this point, I am not sure they are even going to do OP kits anymore.

One has been announced for 2021

7 hours ago, syrath said:

One has been announced for 2021

Hope that continues

My FLGS has one for sale...£45

I will never buy another product from this scalping shop. FFG should stop letting them have product. These models were meant to help stores, to to allow stores to sell them for stupid money.

If anyone is still interested and lives in Ontario, Canada, 401Games just got a whole bunch of these minis in. It's disappointing that they are trying to sell them for $50 cad but https://store.401games.ca/products/starwars-legion-lukeskywalkerlimitededitioncommanderexpansion

There are also a few stores like Lord of Wars Games in Oakville that are still giving them away if you buy some Legion products (see their Facebook post).

Hopefully everyone that wanted one was able to get one.