The Mandalorian Season 2! [Spoilers]

By P-47 Thunderbolt, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

6 minutes ago, copperbell said:

I agree about Baby Yoda, which is why I'm wondering if Dooku being familiar with Yoda may have been the one who located Yoda's people and secured Baby Yoda via one of his adepts only Dooku didn't survive long enough to pass his prize onto his master.

I don't know... When I watched it, I got the distinct impression that this was a show that would rather get canceled than engage in convoluted, labyrinthine, continuity-heavy deep plotting.

1 hour ago, copperbell said:

Its entirely possible Gideon isn't the only one interested or involved in this.

I know Disney's trying to forget the Inquisitors despite them being a perfect way to introduce a replacement for the Sith given they were supposed to be extinct.

The Emperor could have easily assembled genetic material from the slain Jedi and over 20 years practicing a way to perfect cloned force users, which frankly is how they should have reintroduced Darth Maul rather than that shambles seen in the Clone Wars animated series.

Sorry for me that was the weakest part of that series.

Anyway back to the point what happened to get Baby Yoda held in that base instead of their own people?

Did Dooku find out where Yoda was from and hunted them down and what we're assuming was Yoda stolen from the Empire when the child was acquired from originally Separatists source instead?

canon book secrets of the jedi stated that the inquisitorius was disbanded in 2 BBY, and palpatine being the trusting being he is seems unlikely to keep a lot of former jedi schooled in the dark side around alive

as for cloning, currently apart from palpy himself with help from sith alchemy, there's no indication that one can clone a force sensitive

baby yoda is more likely to have been taken either by the empire or its remnants, palpy & dooku tried the kidnapping force sensitive babies during the clone wars & the jedi were really vigilant afterwards

8 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I disagree. For the record, I didn't like it at first, I thought Maul should be dead. However, they did it fantastically well and it ended up becoming one of my favorite parts.

As for the cloning angle, Maul's entire story and his relationship to Sidious makes much more sense if he was abandoned and presumed dead, only to hang on to life and then return. If he'd been cloned, his motivations would be entirely different and he probably would just be another (fairly uninteresting) servant of Sidious.

Advanced aging is an important variable in any discussion of cloning, though, as it can make or break a timeline. This makes it hard to debate when you don't have hard numbers and a source for those numbers. For example, is 50 years Baby Yoda's biological age, his age in real-time, or both?

Sidious also hadn't perfected the cloning of Force-sensitives until well after Endor, which was only ~5 years ago at this point. Baby Yoda far, far predates success in that program.

The Child is chronologically fifty years old. This puts him at roughy the same age as Anakin Skywalker. Physically, this makes him equivalent to a human five year old.

3 hours ago, Tramp Graphics said:

The Child is chronologically fifty years old. This puts him at roughy the same age as Anakin Skywalker. Physically, this makes him equivalent to a human five year old.

The Child is a few years older than Padmé Amidala.

8 hours ago, Tramp Graphics said:

Is it possible Schmi Skywalker ending up on Tattooine pregnant with Anakin had anything to do with how Baby Yoda was acquired?

Probably reaching but it is odd they're about the same age or would have been, we still don't know how Baby Yoda arrived on Arvala 7 where the Mandalorian found him?

8 hours ago, Tramp Graphics said:

Are you sure about that? My point was that we don't know that for sure and we don't have a source for that information, just what the client said.

Biologically, yes. We don't know if it's also chronological.

If an average person were to see a clone trooper around the time of Geonosis, they'd probably guess that he was twenty years old even though they're chronologically ten years old.

I'm not saying he is a clone, just that advanced aging is an unknown variable if he is.

58 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Are you sure about that? My point was that we don't know that for sure and we don't have a source for that information, just what the client said.

Biologically, yes. We don't know if it's also chronological.

If an average person were to see a clone trooper around the time of Geonosis, they'd probably guess that he was twenty years old even though they're chronologically ten years old.

I'm not saying he is a clone, just that advanced aging is an unknown variable if he is.

The show itself stated flat out that the Child was fifty years old. This was stated by the client in the first episode. If he was talking about apparent biological age, he would have told Djarin that the target was a child, in which case Djarin would not have accepted the job in the first place. Instead, the client gave Djarin the Child’s actual age, in chronological years, thus, Djarin (and the audience) assumed the target was an adult. So yes, the age for the Child of fifty years is definitely chronological.

Just now, Tramp Graphics said:

The show itself stated flat out that the Child was fifty years old. This was stated by the client in the first episode. If he was talking about apparent biological age, he would have told Djarin that the target was a child, in which case Djarin would not have accepted the job in the first place. Instead, the client gave Djarin the Child’s actual age, in chronological years, thus, Djarin (and the audience) assumed the target was an adult. So yes, the age for the Child of fifty years is definitely chronological.

Not necessarily. Again, I think you're right, but it isn't as cut-and-dry as you're saying.

Just now, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Not necessarily. Again, I think you're right, but it isn't as cut-and-dry as you're saying.

He was born in 41 BBY

He was born in 41 BBY

That source is conjecture based on subtracting 50 from 9.

4 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

When we know how old he is, and what year it is, how is it conjecture?

1 hour ago, copperbell said:

Is it possible Schmi Skywalker ending up on Tattooine pregnant with Anakin had anything to do with how Baby Yoda was acquired?

No. Absolutely not. This is not that kind of show.

Just now, micheldebruyn said:

When we know how old he is, and what year it is, how is it conjecture?

Because the source of the age is hearsay from a character in the show.

Again, I'm not saying he isn't 50 chronologically. My point was just that advanced aging would affect things and if he's a clone, the timeline related to Palpatine would be heavily reliant on advanced aging. I don't even think that he's linked to Palpatine, I'm just talking about various theories.

2 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Even the creators of the show have said he was fifty. It’s not conjecture. Just as Chewbacca is 200 in ANH, all ages given in any piece of SW stories are chronological, not apparent. The clones were stated to be ten years old, Chewie was stated to be 200, Yoda was stated to be 900, etc. all these characters are given actual ages, not “apparent biological” ages. The same with the Child. His actual age given is fifty years old. It’s not conjecture.

6 hours ago, micheldebruyn said:

The Child is a few years older than Padmé Amidala.

Nope. The Child was born around 41 BBY, that is the same year that Anakin Skywalker was born.

1 minute ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Again, I'm not saying he isn't 50 chronologically. My point was just that advanced aging would affect things and if he's a clone, the timeline related to Palpatine would be heavily reliant on advanced aging. I don't even think that he's linked to Palpatine, I'm just talking about various theories.

Just because the information given comes from a character in the story does not inherently make it hearsay. The Client was hiring Djarin for a job. The information he told Djari about the target’s age would also be corroborated by the information on the Bounty puck. It’s not hearsay.

2 minutes ago, Tramp Graphics said:

Even the creators of the show have said he was fifty. It’s not conjecture. Just as Chewbacca is 200 in ANH, all ages given in any piece of SW stories are chronological, not apparent. The clones were stated to be ten years old, Chewie was stated to be 200, Yoda was stated to be 900, etc. all these characters are given actual ages, not “apparent biological” ages. The same with the Child. His actual age given is fifty years old. It’s not conjecture.

Well if he was cloned would they say "Oh, he's twenty-five chronologically" and give it away?

Just because the information given comes from a character in the story does not inherently make it hearsay. The Client was hiring Djarin for a job. The information he told Djari about the target’s age would also be corroborated by the information on the Bounty puck. It’s not hearsay.

Unless the client doesn't know, or the data on the puck is wrong, or it's a deception. Why is this such a hill to die on for you?

Just now, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Well if he was cloned would they say "Oh, he's twenty-five chronologically" and give it away?

Unless the client doesn't know, or the data on the puck is wrong, or it's a deception. Why is this such a hill to die on for you?

They would say he’s twenty five years old and leave it at that. They wouldn’t say anything more, not that he was a clone, not that he ages differently than typical humans. They would just give his age in years. People don’t say they’re chronologically one age but biologically another. They just give their chronological age, saying that they’re “X” years old. That’s the important number.

Just subscribed and am watching episode one now.

D**n how many time did IG get hit?!!!

I need to re-watch this!

I still think that fob system means someone tagged the target meaning when they were in custody they were injected with something the fob picks up however I wonder what was used with Baby Yoda if they originally only had the last four numbers?

Those riding beats look like a cross between a large fish and one of those things from Tremors after they adapted!

Except better natured!

I wonder who the others were?

Sorry bad typing!

Edited by copperbell

The show pretty much set the Child's age when they were talking about the Chain Code (however that works, not fully explained yet.) but the client says the only part of the Chain Code he can provide is the last four digits.. Mando questions "just it's age"? So, we know the childs age is confirmed at 50.... IG11 even notes that the "baby" appearance could be biological to the species, that it simply has a slower growth period..

Yoda's people might age 'ten' years per 100.. so at 100yrs old, the Child could appear to be a ten year old ... at the time of ESB, Yoda says "for 900 years have I trained Jedi..." Yoda looks old.. possibly the equivalent of a 90 year old?

(Although I admit this does cause some issues..with our 'understanding' of Yoda.... unless he was actually older than 900..)

1 hour ago, RuusMarev said:

The show pretty much set the Child's age when they were talking about the Chain Code (however that works, not fully explained yet.) but the client says the only part of the Chain Code he can provide is the last four digits.. Mando questions "just it's age"? So, we know the childs age is confirmed at 50.... IG11 even notes that the "baby" appearance could be biological to the species, that it simply has a slower growth period..

Yoda's people might age 'ten' years per 100.. so at 100yrs old, the Child could appear to be a ten year old ... at the time of ESB, Yoda says "for 900 years have I trained Jedi..." Yoda looks old.. possibly the equivalent of a 90 year old?

(Although I admit this does cause some issues..with our 'understanding' of Yoda.... unless he was actually older than 900..)

Actually, he says he trained Jedi for 800 years. He died at age 900.

5 minutes ago, Tramp Graphics said:

Actually, he says he trained Jedi for 800 years. He died at age 900.

d'oh..

3 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

There are no characters whose age is not hearsay.

Also, clones do not, as a rule, age faster than normal. That was a thing specific to the Clone Troopers because, as disposable soldiers, they needed to be replenished quickly and it didn't matter if they don't last as long because the guy ordering is getting rid of them after Order 66 anyway.

1 minute ago, micheldebruyn said:

There are no characters whose age is not hearsay.

Not exactly, because you can have out-of-universe sources that state what their age is.

2 minutes ago, micheldebruyn said:

Also, clones do not, as a rule, age faster than normal. That was a thing specific to the Clone Troopers because, as disposable soldiers, they needed to be replenished quickly and it didn't matter if they don't last as long because the guy ordering is getting rid of them after Order 66 anyway.

You are correct, but advanced aging is a common practice in cloning, not just for the clone troopers.

All I was saying was that if Baby Yoda was cloned (which I doubt), advanced aging is a variable that makes timeline-contingent theories difficult to pin down.

13 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Not exactly, because you can have out-of-universe sources that state what their age is.

You are correct, but advanced aging is a common practice in cloning, not just for the clone troopers.

All I was saying was that if Baby Yoda was cloned (which I doubt), advanced aging is a variable that makes timeline-contingent theories difficult to pin down.

Kuiil worked in a cloning facility. He confirmed that the Child did not have the markers of a clone. The reason why they wanted him is likely as a source for cloning experiments. It was not because he was a clone himself.

1 hour ago, Tramp Graphics said:

Kuiil worked in a cloning facility. He confirmed that the Child did not have the markers of a clone. The reason why they wanted him is likely as a source for cloning experiments. It was not because he was a clone himself.

I've been figuring it would have to do with making Palps clones more... robust, or longer lived... something.