The Mandalorian Season 2! [Spoilers]

By P-47 Thunderbolt, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

13 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

(clipped for brevity)... draws the focus away from the actual focus of the series.

I would argue that The Child stole the focus away from the whole first season (and looks to be doing it for the second one as well). I just wanted a bounty hunter show lol

Instead, I saw magical interstellar tracking devices and babysitting. It is what it is, but I wouldn't have minded seeing full episodes of Mando tracking down leads and taking side jobs in order to get information about larger jobs.

6 hours ago, DanteRotterdam said:

Enormous galaxy. Thousands of Jedi.
There is no need to think most people even came close to seeing one.

Also, the Jedi didn't flaunt their powers around people usually. The most visible ones anyway (like the telekinesis and running/jumping).

1 hour ago, SuperWookie said:

I would argue that The Child stole the focus away from the whole first season (and looks to be doing it for the second one as well). I just wanted a bounty hunter show lol

Instead, I saw magical interstellar tracking devices and babysitting. It is what it is, but I wouldn't have minded seeing full episodes of Mando tracking down leads and taking side jobs in order to get information about larger jobs.

Oh, I wanted the same thing, but the story was actually about Baby Yoda and Mando. So while it may not have been what you expected, it didn't "steal" the focus because they are the main characters and thus the focus. And Baby Yoda is adorable .

I'm very happy with what we got, it's just not quite what I expected.

To change the subject a bit, developmental age estimates for Baby Yoda? With someone so small, it's hard to figure out where exactly he lines up with human years, and I'm not that great at estimating kids' ages anyway. He can't talk, but that could be as simple as having never learned to talk yet. He is able to walk around and drink soup without assistance, and he seems fairly intelligent, if pretty naive (which is to be expected). With Yodas, I've always assumed that age in human terms was equal to years*0.1, and Yoda was ~90 when he died. By that method, Baby Yoda would be about 5 in human years. However, we don't actually know if they age in the same pattern as humans.
Anybody got some guesses?

Edited by P-47 Thunderbolt

Yoda’s Specie is the least described even in old lore due to lucas himself’s instructions, it doesn’t even have a name but yoda’s specie

so anything about the baby’s anything is total speculation

3 minutes ago, MB -Fr- said:

Yoda’s Specie is the least described even in old lore due to lucas himself’s instructions, it doesn’t even have a name but yoda’s specie

so anything about the baby’s anything is total speculation

Well that's what I was asking for. Speculation.

He seems a little underdeveloped for a 5 year old, not speaking and having very toddler like behaviour so I surmise the specie ´s year equivalence is much higher than 5 to 1

I think The Child might have been in stasis for the majority of its life, having likely been grown in a lab from Yoda DNA. I think Mando opening the carriage might have been some of the first moments it has been awake.

2 hours ago, SuperWookie said:

I think The Child might have been in stasis for the majority of its life, having likely been grown in a lab from Yoda DNA. I think Mando opening the carriage might have been some of the first moments it has been awake.

Now that's some good speculation

Don't think it'll turn oit to be true, or even verified as untrue, bit good speculation nonetheless.

The initial information on Baby Yoda said they were at least 50 years old.

So that predates even the clone wars doesn't it?

23 minutes ago, copperbell said:

The initial information on Baby Yoda said they were at least 50 years old.

So that predates even the clone wars doesn't it?

yes. about the time of the first batch of clones which is a little after Phantom Menace. the Dr. also has the same symbol as the clones have on their sleeves in attack of the clones

Edited by Daeglan
2 hours ago, Daeglan said:

yes. about the time of the first batch of clones which is a little after Phantom Menace. the Dr. also has the same symbol as the clones have on their sleeves in attack of the clones

Yoda did turn up to collect the clones for the fight at Geonosis didn't he?

8 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Oh, I wanted the same thing, but the story was actually about Baby Yoda and Mando. So while it may not have been what you expected, it didn't "steal" the focus because they are the main characters and thus the focus. And Baby Yoda is adorable .

I'm very happy with what we got, it's just not quite what I expected.

To change the subject a bit, developmental age estimates for Baby Yoda? With someone so small, it's hard to figure out where exactly he lines up with human years, and I'm not that great at estimating kids' ages anyway. He can't talk, but that could be as simple as having never learned to talk yet. He is able to walk around and drink soup without assistance, and he seems fairly intelligent, if pretty naive (which is to be expected). With Yodas, I've always assumed that age in human terms was equal to years*0.1, and Yoda was ~90 when he died. By that method, Baby Yoda would be about 5 in human years. However, we don't actually know if they age in the same pattern as humans.
Anybody got some guesses?

You’re not wrong in this assessment. Yoda’s species does live ten times as long as humans, and do seem to age ten times slower, so, with Yoda, at 900, being equivalent to a 90 year old human does make the Child, at 50, to be equivalent to a 5 year old human.

7 hours ago, MB -Fr- said:

He seems a little underdeveloped for a 5 year old, not speaking and having very toddler like behaviour so I surmise the specie ´s year equivalence is much higher than 5 to 1

I disagree. The only thing “underdeveloped about the Child, is his lack of speech. However, that can be attributed to numerous potential factors. It does not necessarily mean a younger than expected age equivalence.

This is especially evident given that shot in the trailer when Djarin activates his Whistling Birds and prepares to fire them. The Child quickly deduces what’s about to happen and immediately closes his hatch. A baby or toddler equivalent to a 1 or 2 year old would not have understood the gravity of the situation nor what Djarin’s action meant. This shows a capability for reason and rational thought, something that doesn’t develop in human children until the age of 5.

Edited by Tramp Graphics
1 hour ago, copperbell said:

Yoda did turn up to collect the clones for the fight at Geonosis didn't he?

He did. but 50 years is Phantom Menace time. not Attack of the Clones time.

4 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

He did. but 50 years is Phantom Menace time. not Attack of the Clones time.

Fifty years predates TPM by nearly a decade.

10 hours ago, Tramp Graphics said:

Fifty years predates TPM by nearly a decade.

So what if it was Yaddle they got the sample from?

If her legends background is still partly canon still she was held captive following the death of her master on a world where it wouldn't stretch much to have someone check up on her and take a blood sample as reference.

Could even have been done after she was released and someone in the Republic performed a medical check up on her due to the circumstances she had been held in.

Or has Disney changed that too?

3 hours ago, copperbell said:

So what if it was Yaddle they got the sample from?

They aready said on the actual show that baby Yoda is natural, not something grown in a lab.

Yoda and Yaddle's last effort to revive the species LOL

Too bad it takes more than two. In cursory searches, I am seeing scientists say it takes anywhere from 50 to 500 couples to safely revive a species (and avoid inbreeding issues).

Who else has been looking after Baby Yoda?!

The only real mystery I am seeing is: who put him on Arvala-7 with a bunch of Nikto mercs as babysitters in the first place?

Edited by micheldebruyn
1 hour ago, micheldebruyn said:

They aready said on the actual show that baby Yoda is natural, not something grown in a lab.

I don't remember this, can you remind me?

Just now, micheldebruyn said:

The only real mystery I am seeing is: who put him on Arvala-7 with a bunch of Nikto mercs as babysitters in the first place?

Yeah, I was wondering that too.

13 minutes ago, micheldebruyn said:

The other Mystery is where has he been for the last 50 years? what were they trying to accomplish?

13 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I don't remember this, can you remind me?

In episode 7.

Kuiil: "I don't think it was engineered. I've worked in the gene farms. This one looks evolved. Too ugly."

And Kuill is portrayed as somebody who knows his business. If the ex-Empire has really hired a clone tech then it's probably because they want to clone it, not because it's a clone they have misplaced.

1 minute ago, Daeglan said:

The other Mystery is where has he been for the last 50 years? what were they trying to accomplish?

It's an infant. It's been in a crib soiling diapers and going "agagoogoo". I don't see the mystery here.

10 minutes ago, micheldebruyn said:

In episode 7.

Kuiil: "I don't think it was engineered. I've worked in the gene farms. This one looks evolved. Too ugly."

And Kuill is portrayed as somebody who knows his business. If the ex-Empire has really hired a clone tech then it's probably because they want to clone it, not because it's a clone they have misplaced.

That isn't especially clear. The species wasn't engineered, but that doesn't say (at least not explicitly) that Baby Yoda wasn't cloned.

7 minutes ago, micheldebruyn said:

It's an infant. It's been in a crib soiling diapers and going "agagoogoo". I don't see the mystery here.

Yeah. He's an infant. But he's been in existence for 50 years. There is some significance to him. What is that significance, why was he on Arvala-7, etc.

Aren't you the least bit curious about his past? There is something there, at any rate.

14 minutes ago, micheldebruyn said:

In episode 7.

It appeared the good doctor was trying to extract genetic material

36 minutes ago, micheldebruyn said:

in whose care? and What was their plan? I think you are looking at it from the wrong angle.