The Mandalorian Season 2! [Spoilers]

By P-47 Thunderbolt, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

1 hour ago, Daeglan said:

in whose care? and What was their plan? I think you are looking at it from the wrong angle.

I'm not seeing the big divide between this and my own "W ho put him on Arvala-7 with a bunch of Nikto mercs as babysitters in the first place?".

1 hour ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

That isn't especially clear. The species wasn't engineered, but that doesn't say (at least not explicitly) that Baby Yoda wasn't cloned.

I suppose it can be taken that way. I'm going to stick with "it's not a clone" because "it's a clone" is the absolutely lamest thing they could do, and they have earned more credit than that.

It can't be a clone of Yaddle because Yaddle's the wrong sex. It can't really be a clone of Yoda either because Yoda's the wrong eye colour.

Yeah. He's an infant. But he's been in existence for 50 years. There is some significance to him. What is that significance, why was he on Arvala-7, etc.

Aren't you the least bit curious about his past? There is something there, at any rate.

I don't care. To me it is exactly the same, older mystery as "where does Yoda come from". Yoda and Yaddle exist. Therefore other members of the species also exist, including young ones. There's presumably a planet full of them somewhere.

Just now, micheldebruyn said:

I'm not seeing the big divide between this and my own "W ho put him on Arvala-7 with a bunch of Nikto mercs as babysitters in the first place?".

I suppose it can be taken that way. I'm going to stick with "it's not a clone" because "it's a clone" is the absolutely lamest thing they could do, and they have earned more credit than that.

It can't be a clone of Yaddle because Yaddle's the wrong sex. It can't really be a clone of Yoda either because Yoda's the wrong eye colour.

I don't care. To me it is exactly the same, older mystery as "where does Yoda come from". Yoda and Yaddle exist. Therefore other members of the species also exist, including young ones. There's presumably a planet full of them somewhere.

Yoda and Yaddle werent in a box at a criminal base.

2 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

Yoda and Yaddle werent in a box at a criminal base.

And I already said that to me, the only real mystery is w ho put him on Arvala-7 with a bunch of Nikto mercs as babysitters.

Do I have to keep repeating this?

1 minute ago, micheldebruyn said:

And I already said that to me, the only real mystery is w ho put him on Arvala-7 with a bunch of Nikto mercs as babysitters.

Do I have to keep repeating this?

Well that isnt the only thing though. Was the person who put him there the same person who had him for 50 years? Or was he stolen from someone?

23 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

Well that isnt the only thing though. Was the person who put him there the same person who had him for 50 years? Or was he stolen from someone?

It is not in my nature to obsess over plot details that we don't have even the vaguest of clues towards unravelling. The show clearly is not interested dealing with this aspect of its plot for now.

And I wouldn't actually mind if this never gets adressed. Mystery is something Star Wars has way too little off.

1 hour ago, micheldebruyn said:

And I wouldn't actually mind if this never gets adressed. Mystery is something Star Wars has way too little off.

I noticed how this thread paralleled the other one about and was thinking exactly what you posted.

Fans can certainly try to approach Star Wars as hard sci-fi, but Star Wars is pulpy, Westerny space opera best enjoyed at face value. "This is the story of Mace Windy, a revered Jedi-bendu of Ophuchi, as related to us by CJ Thorpe, padawaan learner to the famed Jedi." Lucas wrote that as words to conjure a nebulous image of adventure and fantasy, not dictation from a universe that exists in whole. So I also hope Baby Yoda is never really explained -- he comes and goes, melts some hearts, makes a difference.

With the way Star Wars leadership is working right now, they might not even have the story figured out themselves.

On 9/18/2020 at 9:20 PM, SuperWookie said:

With the way Star Wars leadership is working right now, they might not even have the story figured out themselves.

Favreau and filoni are at the helm of the mandalorian and have a history of paying attention to lore, story, continuity and references to legends

so while everything might not be set in stone, it’s likely they have it planned in broad strokes at least

4 hours ago, MB -Fr- said:

Favreau and filoni are at the helm of the mandalorian and have a history of paying attention to lore, story, continuity and references to legends

so while everything might not be set in stone, it’s likely they have it planned in broad strokes at least

I think that is giving Favreau in particular way more credit than he has earned in his other work. Have you actually looked at Favreau's past writing credits? Favreau's Mandalorians act very differently than any Mandalorian we have ever seen, canon or not. Especially the hyperfocus on not removing helmets is new.

34 minutes ago, micheldebruyn said:

I think that is giving Favreau in particular way more credit than he has earned in his other work. Have you actually looked at Favreau's past writing credits? Favreau's Mandalorians act very differently than any Mandalorian we have ever seen, canon or not. Especially the hyperfocus on not removing helmets is new.

The tribe is a small group that may not be representative of the surviving mandos as a whole

Given that the tribe is post mandalore massacre, them evolving their traditions to hyperfocus on preserving their culture isn’t far fetched, especially considering that flashbacks suggest they were part of already radical deathwatch during the clone wars. So while unusual, it’s not unbelievable

Curious who told the client where Baby Yoda was?

It appears they know how old Baby Yoda is so perhaps they know where he was found?

Pity there was no attempt to find out what they knew about the child when they had the chance but it was a one man rescue that required heavy back up to help him escape so not a plot hole but a possible future subplot when the Mandalorian finds the help he needs to investigate Baby Yoda's past!

I'm loving the series, I'm just craving some Mando'a. :D

And trust me, if the whole "This is the way" thing and the Mandos' different behavior was a continuity problem, I'd point it out. I'm well-versed in the Legends Mandalorians and I never love things blindly.

There is enough we don't know that as of right now, I have no real reason to think it doesn't make sense. If more comes out later, I may change my position but as of right now, I think it's fine.

23 minutes ago, MB -Fr- said:

The tribe is a small group that may not be representative of the surviving mandos as a whole

Given that the tribe is post mandalore massacre, them evolving their traditions to hyperfocus on preserving their culture isn’t far fetched, especially considering that flashbacks suggest they were part of already radical deathwatch during the clone wars. So while unusual, it’s not unbelievable

Mando has not removed his hemlet since he was about 10. Which would have been long before that massacre. And the tribe is just part of Clan Viszla. They're former Deathwatch. We see them in their old uniforms in a flashback, and we know the big guy played by Favreau is named Paz Viszla.

And on top of that, every non-Mando seems to fully believe that Mandalorians, as a rule, never remove their helmets.

22 minutes ago, copperbell said:

Curious who told the client where Baby Yoda was?

I'm assuming that this is just what is left of Imperial Intelligence and the ISB doing their job. I mean, Moff Gideon is a former ISB bigshot.

Just now, micheldebruyn said:

Mando has not removed his hemlet since he was about 10. Which would have been long before that massacre. And the tribe is just part of Clan Viszla. They're former Deathwatch. We see them in their old uniforms in a flashback, and we know the big guy played by Favreau is named Paz Viszla.

And on top of that, every non-Mando seems to fully believe that Mandalorians, as a rule, never remove their helmets.

Not all of Death Watch were Vizsla. Most Vizslas were Death Watch. Remember that Sabine's mother was Death Watch, and they were Clan Wren. Part of house Vizsla, but not clan. Death Watch was a movement started and led by Vizslas, but not exclusive to them.

And it's Paz "Vizla" not "Vizsla." There is a difference. Shae Vizla was spelled the same way.

As for almost every aruetii believing that Mandalorians never remove their helmets, that's very easily explained: even Legends Mandalorians almost never remove their helmets when on the job, and are very seldom seen without them. Besides that most of what they know is going to be fairly distorted to begin with since they haven't had direct interactions with Mandalorians.

Most of the time when they remove their helmets, it's when they are with other Mandalorians, sometimes when they're with aruetii friends. And if they're walking down the street out of armor, who's going to recognize them as Mandalorians? Most wouldn't even recognize them period, because they've never seen [Mando] without his helmet before.

7 minutes ago, micheldebruyn said:

So, a history of ultratraditionalism, part of radical movement, of HOUSE viszla and not clan

given that the outer rim as a whole has a history of not being especially well informed about happenings of the galaxy (Jedi were mostly rumors even during the republic), that current story is happening toward the ot planets that canonically are on the opposite side of the galaxy from the mando sector, the accuracy of rumours concerning all mandos is dubious

Not removing the helmet is just a good way to protect your identity, so you can enjoy some R&R while not bounty hunting or whatever else you are doing.

The Gamorrean scene looks great!

Lots of Quarren and Mon Calamari. I guess this is on Mon Cala?

The other planet looks kinda like Lothal, similar buildings and graffiti. I guess that is where you might find Sabine? It must be Sabine, but I kinda wish it was someone new. If it is Sabine, she can explain why she doesn't do the whole "keep yer helmet on at all times" thing.

A Star Wars SNOW planet! Exciting stuff. Is it a SNOW planet we have seen before? Or is it a totally new snow covered planet?! We'll have to see, but it looks to have a lot of snow.

I almost want to not watch anymore previews, or read any more articles... so excited for another season of this!

Considering a few things, I think that the child was stolen from imperial hands and then they put a bounty out to get it back.

1: the tracking fob. Yes, I know, it's a bit of a mcguffin. BUT it does seem that it tracks people based on their dna or some-such... and it has a relatively short range. SO, I'd think that whoever wants to track someone down with that would have to have the physical data of the person they're trying to track down. So how did the imps get the childs data? Unless they had it already because it was stolen from them.

2: that would explain why it was in a warehouse being guarded by a bunch of thugs... it's precious cargo that's stolen from imperials.

3: it also explains (possibly) the discrepancy in orders between the mandalorian and the droid in the first episode. The mando wants it alive because he's hired by the empire. The droid has orders to kill it because it's hired by another (as of yet unknown) third party.

But that's just speculation.

29 minutes ago, OddballE8 said:

3: it also explains (possibly) the discrepancy in orders between the mandalorian and the droid in the first episode. The mando wants it alive because he's hired by the empire. The droid has orders to kill it because it's hired by another (as of yet unknown) third party.

I think it's more that Mando was hired by the Empire while the doctor was in the room while the droid was hired when the doctor was busy elsewhere. The Client didn't seem to be particularly interested in a living Yoda. Which might be part of why he's dead now.

On 9/26/2020 at 11:08 PM, micheldebruyn said:

I think it's more that Mando was hired by the Empire while the doctor was in the room while the droid was hired when the doctor was busy elsewhere. The Client didn't seem to be particularly interested in a living Yoda. Which might be part of why he's dead now.

Could also mean someone else is aware of Baby Yoda and doesn't want the Child left alive in case they succeed in turning the child.

Imagine a Yoda version of Darth Maul or Starkiller, might be reason enough to eliminate them before they master their abilities.

2 minutes ago, copperbell said:

Could also mean someone else is aware of Baby Yoda and doesn't want the Child left alive in case they succeed in turning the child.

Imagine a Yoda version of Darth Maul or Starkiller, might be reason enough to eliminate them before they master their abilities.

Now that's some long-term planning! :D

1 minute ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Now that's some long-term planning! :D

Its entirely possible Gideon isn't the only one interested or involved in this.

I know Disney's trying to forget the Inquisitors despite them being a perfect way to introduce a replacement for the Sith given they were supposed to be extinct.

The Emperor could have easily assembled genetic material from the slain Jedi and over 20 years practicing a way to perfect cloned force users, which frankly is how they should have reintroduced Darth Maul rather than that shambles seen in the Clone Wars animated series.

Sorry for me that was the weakest part of that series.

Anyway back to the point what happened to get Baby Yoda held in that base instead of their own people?

Did Dooku find out where Yoda was from and hunted them down and what we're assuming was Yoda stolen from the Empire when the child was acquired from originally Separatists source instead?

Just now, copperbell said:

The Emperor could have easily assembled genetic material from the slain Jedi and over 20 years practicing a way to perfect cloned force users, which frankly is how they should have reintroduced Darth Maul rather than that shambles seen in the Clone Wars animated series.

Sorry for me that was the weakest part of that series.

I disagree. For the record, I didn't like it at first, I thought Maul should be dead. However, they did it fantastically well and it ended up becoming one of my favorite parts.

As for the cloning angle, Maul's entire story and his relationship to Sidious makes much more sense if he was abandoned and presumed dead, only to hang on to life and then return. If he'd been cloned, his motivations would be entirely different and he probably would just be another (fairly uninteresting) servant of Sidious.

Advanced aging is an important variable in any discussion of cloning, though, as it can make or break a timeline. This makes it hard to debate when you don't have hard numbers and a source for those numbers. For example, is 50 years Baby Yoda's biological age, his age in real-time, or both?

Sidious also hadn't perfected the cloning of Force-sensitives until well after Endor, which was only ~5 years ago at this point. Baby Yoda far, far predates success in that program.

I agree about Baby Yoda, which is why I'm wondering if Dooku being familiar with Yoda may have been the one who located Yoda's people and secured Baby Yoda via one of his adepts only Dooku didn't survive long enough to pass his prize onto his master.

Edited by copperbell