Star Wars: Squadrons

By Jo Jo, in X-Wing Off-Topic

I want to buy this so bad. But I’ve finally managed to start writing and exercising again and I know this will eat my entire life if I do.

Has anyone here gotten it to run using a Quest for the VR display?

It's good. It's **** good. But it ain't easy.

Played a couple of the campaign missions then straight into multiplayer practice with @Arma Quattro .

It's going to take a lot of practice to get up to multiplayer ace standard. Fleet Battles were a total whitewash against the AI; you're going to need to know what you're doing and communicate with your team to stand a chance.

It's fun and I'm terrible at it.

21 minutes ago, CaptainJaguarShark said:

Absolutely the same here. 😂

Only played three multiplayer matches - one 5 vs 5, two practice Fleet Battles. Got handily wiped by the AI in the fleet battles, it will take some getting used to.

Just unlocking a few modifications - I noticed the AI using Ion Missiles to devastating effect, I think they might be a bit of a crutch weapon until I git gud.

3 hours ago, CaptainJaguarShark said:

Same here. Been flying arcade style in Battlefront too much and then there is the whole change how the ship handles when you adjust power. My wires are all crossed up. Having trouble keeping track of where things are and I have a poor feel for how the enemies are moving. It is going to take some getting used to.

Probably going to finish the campaign before going near multiplayer.

Certainly fun but the learning curve is steep.

1 hour ago, Frimmel said:

Same here. Been flying arcade style in Battlefront too much and then there is the whole change how the ship handles when you adjust power. My wires are all crossed up. Having trouble keeping track of where things are and I have a poor feel for how the enemies are moving. It is going to take some getting used to.

Probably going to finish the campaign before going near multiplayer.

Certainly fun but the learning curve is steep.

Yeah, working through the campaign now and slowly picking it up. It's going to take a while to get used to all the intricacies, pretty sure I've only used the drift mechanic once, and that was when you were being shown how to do it in campaign 😂

Speaking of the campaign, there's some great characters in the game. Titan Squadron are all really good.

5 hours ago, CaptainJaguarShark said:

I think most of us are... it’s great that my garbage flying isn't getting me frustrated.

The game is nit easy, especially with instruments only, but I feel that is the ONLY way to play.

11 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Yeah, working through the campaign now and slowly picking it up. It's going to take a while to get used to all the intricacies, pretty sure I've only used the drift mechanic once, and that was when you were being shown how to do it in campaign 😂

I was trying to do the drift in the y-wing for bombing runs. Wasn't... entirely unsuccessful..

18 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

I was trying to do the drift in the y-wing for bombing runs. Wasn't... entirely unsuccessful..

LOL that made me picture the scene in my mind. 😂

19 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

I think most of us are... it’s great that my garbage flying isn't getting me frustrated.

The game is nit easy, especially with instruments only, but I feel that is the ONLY way to play.

Honestly? If you're playing Multiplayer? You can't fly Instruments only. Too much information you're losing and choosing to lose VS. other players who know better or aren't even aware of the option. I also gotta' say, the old X-Wing Alliance CHWRRWOT when your ship's shields got hit was far better than this gentle Episode I styled Pwwiewowoww... and definitely let me know I was in danger.

2 hours ago, KCDodger said:

Honestly? If you're playing Multiplayer? You can't fly Instruments only. Too much information you're losing and choosing to lose VS. other players who know better or aren't even aware of the option. I also gotta' say, the old X-Wing Alliance CHWRRWOT when your ship's shields got hit was far better than this gentle Episode I styled Pwwiewowoww... and definitely let me know I was in danger.

Meh. I’m going to fly like garbage anyway, so I might as well have it look pretty. I'll just chant “I’m one with the force, and the force is with me.” and hope for the best.

I've played this game for about 20 hours now, it's amazing.

I'll start with the worst things I have to say about it.

couple bugs/silly things here and there but nothing major. there's one map that crashes me out of the game unless my graphics are windowed for example. the friends menu doesn't refresh unless I restart the game so if someone's offline and then goes online I have to restart to invite them.

the game does have some stuff that seems missing, most notably character customization options are very minimal (not really a problem since you barely look at your own pilot) and a "ready up" button for players in a party.

keyboard and mouse is what I would call "playable" - you can do it but it's a lot less fun than controller or HOTAS rig.

finally there aren't really a ton of gamemodes here. outside of the single player campaign, there's only fleet battles (5v5 multiplayer), fleet battles vs AI (the same thing but with one side having AI pilots that do exactly what one set of players would do), and dogfight (same as fleet battles but stripped down to nothing but player ships and the map).

all this being said, there has never been a game that felt like this for me. there's a level of immersion into the star wars universe that's truly breathtaking.

the game also requires good teamwork in a way not many games do - if you don't play well with your team, you will lose terribly. the play not only allows but strongly encourages people with various playstyles to work together on the same team.

there's really only one real gamemode as I said earlier (fleet battles) but it's probably the best game I've played. ever.

this game isn't everything I ever could have wanted, to pu t everything I'd want out of a star wars game into one game would be impossible. but it's far better at what it does than I ever could have hoped. which is what I really appreciate about it - rather than do a dozen things poorly like so many other games do, this game does one thing exceedingly well.

Edited by Kyle Ren
4 hours ago, Kyle Ren said:

I've played this game for about 20 hours now, it's amazing.

...t here aren't really a ton of gamemodes here. outside of the single player campaign, there's only fleet battles (5v5 multiplayer), fleet battles vs AI (the same thing but with one side having AI pilots that do exactly what one set of players would do), and dogfight (same as fleet battles but stripped down to nothing but player ships and the map).

there's really only one real gamemode as I said earlier (fleet battles) but it's probably the best game I've played. ever...

Agreed with everything you say here apart from the "one real game mode" point.

Playing on console myself, only run into one bug and that was during campaign (the game froze after I failed a drift when being instructed how to do them). I'm guessing some of the PC related bugs may boil down to hardware variances. I gather a patch is already underway.

Cross play is really welcome as well.

Now, about that one game mode... the way I see it, the difference between Dogfight and Fleet Battles is basically the difference between X-Wing: The Miniatures Game and Armada.

Dogfight is a 5 vs 5, race to 30 kills with no AI distractions. It's pure PvP. This is where the best pilots will shine individually, but it's also where players will be able to drop in for a quick game or two and learn the ropes or go lone wolf without too many repercussions - ship choice and loadout is more about preference and doesn't matter as much, you won't be punished for not communicating or working as a team as much. But it's pretty much just a standard multiplayer deathmatch.

Fleet Battles... well, as you said it's the most complete, immersive Star Wars experience I've seen. This is where the best teams and groups of friends will shine. It's still 5 vs 5, but there's a lot going on. Up to nine capital ships in action, wings of bots attacking both players and ships, the Morale system determining who is playing offense and who is playing defence, obstacles and wreckage... you need to be aware of your team mates, the state of play, where the action is on the map and what ship to use and it's load out. If you're trying to attack a frigate, there's no point in everyone on your team flying interceptors for example. A lot of time you're going to find yourself reacting to in game events - trying to take down a corvette to swing Morale back in your favour, or intercepting a wing of bombers before they can do too much damage.

You can probably get three games of Dogfight in to one game of Fleet Battles. They really do offer completely different playing experiences.

So I haven't dove into multiplayer yet, only completed the campaign on pilot, and going through again on Ace - which is ridiculously hard.
I figure if I can do a mission without dying on that difficulty, then I am ready for multiplayer. Ace requires you to constantly micromanage all the systems constantly, as you seem to be the only target unless something is scripted. I do actually find myself changing speed mid combat, switching modes - though full shields when I have them is a common theme.

I’m also playing instruments only - as I said, if I am going to fly like garbage, I'm at least going to fly pretty garbage.

So having gone through the Campaign, on my second run now, there are some things I like, and some I’m non-plussed with. I'm enjoying most of the pilots personalities, except for Sol and Vonreg. The one I find the most interesting is Shen. The being constantly rebuilt and being, a literal combat machine, is kind of tragic.
Of course the imperials are the classic villains, being evil for evil’s sake. But I'm glad that some of the pilots explain why they are imperial, as we find that many imperials join from impoverished planets and such - their loyalty is because the empire has given them everything they have.

The rebels are a lot more on the good alignment, even the Trandoshan Frisk, who is probably more talk about being a scoundrel than he actually is. I think he was a pariah in trandoshan society, and much of his ‘scoundrel ways’ was just survival. I think he really is a good guy.

Gunny is an interesting choice for a race to include. I actually like the detail of her eyes, which if you look closely there is an inner membrane that flicks closed.

Grace is the child rebel, in that she is rebelling against her families legacy.

Finaly Keo, as a mirialan, they seem to have the force. I guess this is a racial trait.

It is nice to see a diverse selection of species for the rebels, and the imperials you can get enough human diversity. At least the new canon empire is less male dominated. As long as human, they seem to accept you for what you are, so ay least there is that. Still the bad guys, though.

As to the ships.. man oh man.. so immersive. I wish I had VR. While I often play the empire in games, as I like the visual aesthetic just not the Space fascism, jumping into an x-wing was such a good feeling. I can't explain it, it just felt right - all the rebel ships do. Yeah, I'm a rebel at heart, even if I love imperial design, in it’s impractical way.

The engine sounds of the TIE is awesome. Wish I could fly the v1 that Javes had. Seeing how much room a standard TIE bomber has is interesting. Seems that ships role is entirely based on loadout, as the chassis is built with a lot of ideas in mind.

As for controls.. I'm currently using my PS4 controller and I have to say... I don't like it. With the limited buttons, all doing double duty it seems my fingers get tired. While it is certainly passable, I am waiting to get a basic HOTAS for both pc and ps4 - it is just everything is sold out currently. While a controller is passable, it is really limiting. The amount of times I have accidentally cut my speed while trying to roll, or roll while reducing speed is frustrating. As is not being able to use an auxiliary weapon without stopping my primary attack. While I have gotten better at flipping things around, I look forward to getting a proper control mechanism.

So there is a lot of good here in this game. It is not for everyone to be sure, but it IS for me. This will hold me over until I can actually jump into a real x-wing. I truly hope this game does incredibly well so we can get a sequel - not that squadrons is bad, but because there is SO much potential.
I do wish the campaign was longer. But, with all the work that goes into making one, I understand why it isn't more. As well as the campaign being a glorified tutorial.
I would gladly pay for an expansion that was a single player story. ****, if they had several you could play that would be awesome. I would also like if you could turn off the training elements after you have already dine the campaign - stop telling me to request resupply! I know I need a frelling resupply!

There were a couple missions that I really disliked though. The detonate the cores as makeshift mines.. the idea was fine, but perhaps my frustration also stems from flying instruments only. When a wingmate says detonate that core.. well, that isn't helpful.

If a sequel ever happens, I'd LOVE if there were missions where I had to be the one they dropped off the boarding party. I mean, the space is there in the u-wing, gives a bunch of different mission types - and this would work for multiplayer as well.
There is a lot of potential design space going forward, as well as several other ships to add in.
a single player clone wars game would be fun too, but it logically makes sense to continue with current assets.

Edited by That Blasted Samophlange
Reasons

I have only played through the prologue so far so not able to give really any actual input, but my first impression is good. I do have one minor nit that I feel you are sitting too low in the cockpit by maybe an inch. I wish it was something you can adjust a bit.

1 hour ago, Jo Jo said:

I have only played through the prologue so far so not able to give really any actual input, but my first impression is good. I do have one minor nit that I feel you are sitting too low in the cockpit by maybe an inch. I wish it was something you can adjust a bit.

Hmmm... i figured they raised you up a bit. The x-wing cockpit is fairly cramped and the pilot always looked like the little old lady that can't see over the dashboard.

f88eae28a013a2a7d82276cd4730e834.jpg

Still, I'm sure all specifications and schematics went through lucasfilm.

Edited by That Blasted Samophlange
3 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

While a controller is passable, it is really limiting. The amount of times I have accidentally cut my speed while trying to roll, or roll while reducing speed is frustrating. As is not being able to use an auxiliary weapon without stopping my primary attack.

First off, nice write up @That Blasted Samophlange . Playing on Xbox, my thoughts on the controls are very similar. Left stick for both throttle AND roll is... awkward, to say the least. And while you can completely remap the controls if you want to, there's nothing else you can really remap these ones to! 😂

Not sure about the issue with Primary / Auxillary? Is it the PS layout? On Xbox we have right trigger for primary and the shoulder buttons for Auxillary, haven't noticed any issues firing both simultaneously.

There were a couple missions that I really disliked though. The detonate the cores as makeshift mines.. the idea was fine, but perhaps my frustration also stems from flying instruments only. When a wingmate says detonate that core.. well, that isn't helpful.

Same here. For the most part, I feel that the earlier missions were better designed and had more variety to them, both in terms of what your objectives were and the visuals. The prologue, Hosnian Prime and Mon Cala were all good. Early in the campaign the game felt more like the X-Wing PC games, later on it felt more like Battlefront. I didn't enjoy the last few missions anywhere near as much.

I'm enjoying most of the pilots personalities, except for Sol and Vonreg. The one I find the most interesting is Shen. The being constantly rebuilt and being, a literal combat machine, is kind of tragic.

Agreed, the pilots are mostly really well realised characters. One of the reviews I saw suggested some of them are Mass Effect level characters, although that's taking it a bit far. I will admit to a preference for the Imperial pilots. Shen as you say is great. Varko shows that concern for his squad we see in the animated short ("you are not replaceable!") Vonreg is an angry hothead. I'm not really too much a fan of Frisk or Gunny to be honest.

I totally agree on the potential for the game in the future. There is a solid and surprisingly deep game engine here that can be built on. The thing is, a lot of time and work has gone into the visual art for the game, which gave it a unique look and made the locations striking and interesting, but it doesn't really need that. Give us a basic starfield backdrop with nebulae, asteroid fields, starports, shipyards, nebulae or planetary surfaces and you're good. I think at times the locations got a little bit too busy.

With the game engine being mostly there, attention can be focused on story and character. Going back to the Mass Effect example, it would be great to see a long-form character story with branching missions (and consequences)... but hey, that's for the future I guess. As you say, let's hope the game gets the success it deserves.

3 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Not sure about the issue with Primary / Auxillary? Is it the PS layout? On Xbox we have right trigger for primary and the shoulder buttons for Auxillary, haven't noticed any issues firing both simultaneously.

The issue is, I think, mostly on me. Like an xbox controller, there are shoulder buttons. However, if I have a lock in something, As I am firing (squeezing the left trigger with my index finger), if I get a lock, I need to release the shot to readjust my fingers. While I could fire my primary with my middle finger, it isn't as responsive.
I honestly didn't notice this on the pikot difficulty, but playing on Ace, the enemies are Zooming around like mad, and often when I get a lock, it seems I have a millisecond to fire, and my old hands don't react fast enough. 😜

I’m having other issues on Ace difficulty.. why does every single energy blast have Titan 3/Vanguard 5’s name on it? Seriously.. shoot at someone else!

12 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

squeezing the left trigger with my index finger

Use your middle fingers for the triggers and index for the bumpers, it works wonders

3 hours ago, Nyxen said:

Use your middle fingers for the triggers and index for the bumpers, it works wonders

The controllers aren't really meant to be held in such a way as to allow that. At least the PS4 doesn't seem to be. I did it all the time on PS3. I could never make it work with PS4. The controller is too big for my hands to be able to do that.

Frankly the looks of the new controller are one of the reasons I'm not in a hurry to get a PS5. It looks even bigger than the PS4 controller which is kind of big for me.

On 10/4/2020 at 11:22 AM, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Hmmm... i figured they raised you up a bit. The x-wing cockpit is fairly cramped and the pilot always looked like the little old lady that can't see over the dashboard.

For the view angle I would have leaned more gameplay over lore (like a lot of the game). Maybe you should be slightly closer, it just doesn't seem ideal to me.

Edited by Jo Jo
14 minutes ago, Jo Jo said:

For the view angle I would have leaned more gameplay over lore (like a lot of the game). Maybe you should be slightly, it just doesn't seem ideal to me.

That is what I am saying.. the view we see, the reference player is raised up. It was said that someone feels they are sitting too low. So I said it feels the player is raised up, compared to lore. The x-wing doesn't have a great view, but for a game, that is needed.

The more I think about this game, the more I think any DLC ships would end up using existing classes rather than adding additional classes of ships.

I'd like to have something like a gunship role with b-wing and xg-1 but I actually expect them to just put these into the bomber class in the game. I'd still expect them to have their own loadouts.

And let's be honest, they'll probably just ignore the b-wings special gyro stuff so that they can include it in the game.