Star Wars: Squadrons

By Jo Jo, in X-Wing Off-Topic

55 minutes ago, KCDodger said:

I do like the idea of the TIE/v1 being a shielded interceptor choice...

I was amazed we didn't see the TIE/v1 again in the game after the prologue.

I mean, the ship model is already IN THE GAME. I thought Lindon Javes was going to be flying it again in the finale, but no, X-Wing.

On the subject of re-using ships, the Lambda Shuttle, BFF-1, GR-75, Gozanti-class Cruiser, Quasar Fire-class cruiser and Liberty-class Cruiser are all modelled and featured in the single player campaign. Rather than speculating about what Motive may add down the line, how do you think they could re-use these existing assets?

That's a lot of material that's already in the game that we can't currently play with and enjoy in multiplayer. Any ideas how to make the most of it?

3 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

I was amazed we didn't see the TIE/v1 again in the game after the prologue.

I mean, the ship model is already IN THE GAME. I thought Lindon Javes was going to be flying it again in the finale, but no, X-Wing.

On the subject of re-using ships, the Lambda Shuttle, BFF-1, GR-75, Gozanti-class Cruiser, Quasar Fire-class cruiser and Liberty-class Cruiser are all modelled and featured in the single player campaign. Rather than speculating about what Motive may add down the line, how do you think they could re-use these existing assets?

That's a lot of material that's already in the game that we can't currently play with and enjoy in multiplayer. Any ideas how to make the most of it?

Don't suspect there'll be any real use for the Quasar or MC-80. They both lack attackable "Landmarks" that the MC-75 and ISD-II have. The BFF-1 would make an utterly fantastic little bit of obstacle.

Gozantis would be very fun for protected group spawns - GR-75s could do the same thing. Lambdas could work for objective modes if they ever add them. I'd like a New Republic equivalent to the Quasar but as of yet none exists, except maybe the Pelta and that's very very very up to debate as Phoenix Home was absolutely a unique craft. The Rebellion as a whole just, lacked small scale carriers but largely because they flat out did not need them. But yes, the MC-80 will likely never see competitive play. Like I said, it has zero landmarks to attack.

12 hours ago, KCDodger said:

Oh yikes who got fired?

Pretty much all of the project leads for the miniatures games including Alex Davy were let go with the move of design to Atomic Mass. Pretty much anyone in charge of how the games are now and these last few coming expansion is gone as far as can be discerned. There's a screenshot of a post from Davy stating he was unceremoniously terminated in several of the threads about the move.

If they do add anything else I would like a pure CO-OP mode. Something like a survival game mode or defending mode. Waves of enemies that get larger and more heavy with bigger ships.

What do you expect on the tie defender and B-Wing, for them to be unique, what stats? (Besides the shields for defender)

57 minutes ago, Jo Jo said:

If they do add anything else I would like a pure CO-OP mode. Something like a survival game mode or defending mode. Waves of enemies that get larger and more heavy with bigger ships.

This. This would be really good. Giving how I've been pining for ME3's multiplayer, something like this could fill the gap nicely.

Plus of course it could give those unused assets a role with "objective waves" (i.e. hunt down and destroy shuttles/transports before they jump away).

I'm thinking something like the prologue mission, which starts small but just keeps escalating...

1 hour ago, Frimmel said:

Pretty much all of the project leads for the miniatures games including Alex Davy were let go with the move of design to Atomic Mass. Pretty much anyone in charge of how the games are now and these last few coming expansion is gone as far as can be discerned. There's a screenshot of a post from Davy stating he was unceremoniously terminated in several of the threads about the move.

Oh that is, that is not good.

1 hour ago, "Quickdraw" said:

What do you expect on the tie defender and B-Wing, for them to be unique, what stats? (Besides the shields for defender)

The B-Wing will have a special instrument in the cockpit to track its body's position, according to Ian Frasier. So no matter what it ends up doing in its bomber role, it will fly like NOTHING else..!

As for the TIE Defender, it'll be a hardy fighter that'll be hard to kill that cannot power shunt. What Imperials do with that will be really interesting, but I wholly expect to see people who are more comfortable with New Republic ships jump in on that.

17 hours ago, KCDodger said:

Oh yikes who got fired?

For Starters Alex Davy - the lead designer on Legion. Happened out of the blue on Monday. Really disheartening.

6 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

For Starters Alex Davy - the lead designer on Legion. Happened out of the blue on Monday. Really disheartening.

Oh that's unfair. What's the rundown?

1 hour ago, KCDodger said:

Oh that's unfair. What's the rundown?

Screenshot_20201118-135422.png.fdf58a2de

From his facebook. Don't know all the details. But seems out of left field.

55 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Screenshot_20201118-135422.png.fdf58a2de

From his facebook. Don't know all the details. But seems out of left field.

Wow that is terrible. Thank you for sharing.

14 hours ago, "Quickdraw" said:

My going theory is this: The b-wing and defender are bristling with cannons. I think they will get a second primary weapon slot. Possibly at the cost of a regular secondary weapon - which will be uses to switch fire modes. Primary 1, Primary 2, or FIRE EVERYTHING!.

My thought process is this; both the tie defender and b-wing are known to have both Ion and laser weapons, so it makes sense to include that, and it helps to differentiate them other craft. Now, this could of course be done instead of the regular angle deflectors, but losing the secondary slot, or more appropriately have a mandatory selection, is a sensible way to show this, I think.

I suppose you could have a secondary weapon that draws primary lower and just has a toggle of on or off. This way you can fire all your guns, or only some. I just would like to see the control to only fire ions or lasers alone.

As above the directing shields could be a good option too. Basically think of these two craft as having more energy, it either goes to charging the shields faster (but cant angle them) or for firing the additional weapon. Again, makes the ship unique and follows the lore.

A thing to keep in mind is there are only so many buttons on a controller, so anything they do will likely come at a cost to another system.

Also, while the b-wing is classed as a bomber, I am thinking it wont have access to the bombs. Instead, it will fall to the gunship role. The bombs stay with the y-wing, but the composite beam and assault shield swing to the b-wing. This allows both to have a role and play style, but not having one overshadow the other.

you want to assault with bombs - the y-wing. You want cannons, go b-wing. I'd also suspect that the player will not have full control of the b-wings gyroscopic cockpit/fuselage. Instead it will be set between modes. If we are lucky, the b-wing and other ships with s-foils will have it so these change depending in where energy is allocated. So the b-wing, it goes vertical with full weapons, horizontal with everything else. X-wing closes it's s-foils for full speed, as we have seen that they can fire weapons with the s-foils closed.

while this would change the silhouette, it would be really cool for those players that have VR.

What I also hope for is we get a mini solo campaign that explains how to fly these ships and their new systems, why the Empire resurrects the Defender (which makes perfect sense with dwindling pilot ranks), and finally why we see Pantoran on the imperial side.

This campaign has logical merit, as previous missions we got to test out a new chassis, as well as introducing some new canon. This would also be a good time to roll out Javes being in command of a starhawk and flying along side it on battle. Would love to swing around from the rear launch bay.

Edited by That Blasted Samophlange
On 11/19/2020 at 11:26 AM, Odanan said:
  • TIE/v1 Advanced*: interceptor class , shielded, 2 guns (more like the A-wing than the TIE Interceptor)
  • Alpha-class Starwing** : bomber class , shielded, 4 guns (more like the B-wing than the TIE Bomber) or TIE/ag Aggressor ** (much like the Y-wing, but unshielded)
  • E-wing ***: fighter class , shielded, 3 guns (much like the X-wing)
  • T-wing****: interceptor class , shielded, 2 guns (much like the A-wing) or V-wing*****: interceptor class

I think the Z-95 is more likely than the T-Wing.

And no way they do the Gunboat. You'll get the Striker or even the Brute first.

Edited by DarthEnderX
On 11/21/2020 at 4:02 AM, That Blasted Samophlange said:

...you want to assault with bombs - the y-wing. You want cannons, go b-wing..

I imagine this will probably happen. Bombing is a definite playstyle in the game, so I don't expect the new ships to take on a role that's already covered.

The double cannon sounds like a solid idea, with both ships having access to both blasters and ion cannons.

So apparently its out tomorrow!!!

12 minutes ago, Jo Jo said:

So apparently its out tomorrow!!!

Here is hoping.

So I believe it is live? I won't be able to hop on until after work.

20 minutes ago, Jo Jo said:

So I believe it is live? I won't be able to hop on until after work.

It is live and it is good.

3 minutes ago, KCDodger said:

Nice!

Got a question, if u enter a started match can u change your faction because I always end up in rebels.

Thanks

6 hours ago, KCDodger said:

Haven't had a chance to play yet.. stupid working on lip sync in blender so I can build a demo reel and get a job..

3 hours ago, "Quickdraw" said:

Got a question, if u enter a started match can u change your faction because I always end up in rebels.

Thanks

No you can not change sides after you enter the lobby or game.

So couple of bugs.. TIE defender missile hits do not count as hits for challenges it seems.

Also, if you run dual ‘meme beams’ on the b-wing, and fire the simultaneously they cancel each other out, doing no damage or activating, instead just produce a red/blue lightshow.

Matchmaking is still bantha-poodoo. O honestly think they have to something for this. When you are the highest on a team, being level 43, and the second highest is level 3, Vs. A team with the lowest level being 72.. well.. there is an issue. I could see this turning people off, especially when you have it happens 7 times in a row.

After playing a bit.. the TIE Defender is NOT an easy ship. You have to constantly be shifting power, and using the APS. The full power recharge rate is insane!
Finding it hard on the controller, and if you get hit, well, the hull is made of paper mache’ with an thin durasteel foil layer over top.
In proper elite hands, the Defender is a scary thing, to the average TIE pilot, like me who often pulls maneuvers as seen accomplished by on screen TIE pilots (crashing into things), it is not so deadly. Still, if Thrawn got this project working, instead of Krennic’s death star? It would have changed the war - the fighter honestly feels that way. You can adapt to any situation, if you are skilled enough.

The B-wing.. well.. the gyroscope spinning around the cockpit looks so cool (in freelook), so being in VR would probably be amazing - which sadly I am not.

12 hours ago, Frimmel said:

No you can not change sides after you enter the lobby or game.

Oh that's bad, I usually enter them started and you're stuck at a random faction.

I also don't understand why it takes me so much time to find matches.