Star Wars: Squadrons

By Jo Jo, in X-Wing Off-Topic

Anyone having trouble finding a game? Or is it just me?

1 hour ago, LUZ_TAK said:

Anyone having trouble finding a game? Or is it just me?

I have two finding fleet battles versus AI but not the other modes. Though waiting a minute or more is not uncommon.

I had 8+ minutes searching for Dogfight. Haven't tried again

8 hours ago, LUZ_TAK said:

I had 8+ minutes searching for Dogfight. Haven't tried again

It can be slow early in the morning but I have not had that kind of wait. There was a day it seemed the servers were down. I could not even log in.

I would have preferred if it was a MMO instead of just multiplayer. Still an immersive gameplay and great multiplayer component.

Game is 25% OFF right now (on Steam and Epic). I got it!

Mayor partch today, including rank bug fixed, ai farming, parking next to capital ships, and tie.bomber rebalance:

TIE bomber default hull decreased to 2000 (from 2500)

TIE bomber Reinforced Hull benefit decreased to +50% (from +60%)

Edited by LUZ_TAK

Here is a rundown of the patch notes.

WHY HELLO THERE

GLOBAL TOP 50 PILOT HERE TO REPORT THAT THEY'RE REALLY FRAKKING DOING THIS.

WHOA.

25 minutes ago, KCDodger said:

WHY HELLO THERE

WHOA.

Wow. So much for no new stuff. Interesting.

1 hour ago, KCDodger said:

WHY HELLO THERE

WHOA.

OH-MY-GOD! They did it!

"Designed as the “Blade Wing” prototype by Mon Calamari engineer Quarrie and finely tuned under General Hera Syndulla’s guidance, the A/SF-01 B-wing starfighter makes its way into the New Republic’s fleet in this update.

Naturally, there’s a fitting counterpart for it going to the opposing faction, too. From the mind of the brilliant military tactician Grand Admiral Thrawn and Sienar Fleet Systems, the TIE/d “Defender” multi-role starfighter will join the Imperial Navy as well.

These two starfighters are as powerful as they are iconic, though understandably balanced out for the purposes of the game. The B-wing will be categorized as a Bomber-class starfighter and the TIE defender will be a Fighter, each being able to use the components relevant to their faction and class, but they’ll also come with their own unique aspects in line with what you’d expect from them, such as the B-wing with its gyro-cockpit and swiveling wings and the TIE defender with its shields.

These functions and a couple unique components will help them differentiate themselves from the other starfighters in their classes and factions, but we’ve also made sure they aren’t outright better by default. There’s still going to be good reasons to pick a Y-wing over a B-wing or a TIE fighter over a TIE defender and vice versa. It’ll depend on your playstyle and what the situation calls for."

Nice!!

Also, the Custom Battles look terrific! Now if only they add mod support...

Very happy to see the B-Wing and Defender make it into the game. Still kind of nervous about how flying a B-Wing from inside the cockpit is gonna be like, but overall excited.

Edited by SabineKey

1 hour ago, Frimmel said:

A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one!

It will be very interesting how they balance these two and not make their class equivalents completely obsolete. Especially, the Defender.

Ugh, I hate the elongated Interceptor style panels on the Defender.

Still, whatever.

B-Wing and TIE Defender, yayyyyyyyyyy!

2 hours ago, SabineKey said:

Very happy to see the B-Wing and Defender make it into the game. Still kind of nervous about how flying a B-Wing from inside the cockpit is gonna be like, but overall excited.

Almost certainly they'll just go the X-Wing route and have the cockpit static in place at the top.

2 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

Almost certainly they'll just go the X-Wing route and have the cockpit static in place at the top.

...they’ll also come with their own unique aspects in line with what you’d expect from them, such as the B-wing with its gyro-cockpit and swiveling wings and the TIE defender with its shields....

To be honest, I'm more interested in the custom matches than the fighters. A bit more variety in the multuplayer game modes will go a lot further than a pair of new ships will.

@GuacCousteau There is also the concern (at least for me) of how being so far from the center of mass is the ship is going to affect flying. Quite a few of the maps have various obstacles such as debris, asteroids, and flying through a tight shipyard to contend with. Considering I’ve found myself caught on obstacles because I misjudged how wide my U-Wing’s wing span is, I fear the B-Wing might be a bit awkward to fly.

Now, I had similar fears about the TIE Bomber before launch, and those provided to be largely unfounded. The B-Wing could be the same. We’ll see when it drops.

This game was my best purchase in a looong time.

So.. seems there must always be balance in the force.. Asmodee shifts the miniatures games and fires long time designers, then we get this squadrons update days later.

I know Squadron will be effectively complete when they release the two new ships, but wouldn't it be cool if the devs continued to support the game, release more maps, game modes and... more ships? Since the B-wing and the TIE Defender were added to existing classes, which new ships could appear?

• TIE/v1 Advanced*: interceptor class , shielded, 2 guns (more like the A-wing than the TIE Interceptor)
  • Alpha-class Starwing** : bomber class , shielded, 4 guns (more like the B-wing than the TIE Bomber) or TIE/ag Aggressor ** (much like the Y-wing, but unshielded)
  • E-wing ***: fighter class , shielded, 3 guns (much like the X-wing)
  • T-wing****: interceptor class , shielded, 2 guns (much like the A-wing) or V-wing*****: interceptor class

*already modelled in the game.

**canonical, but barely.

***canonical status unknown. Visually, it showed up a couple of times in different ST-era comics but was never named.

****absolutely not canon, but only needs someone to mention it in a book or comics...

*****OK, the Rebels used a lot of Clone Wars ships, including the ARC-170, the N-1 and the Y-wing. Why not the V-wing too? Heck it has even a letter in the name! :P

That way we get 2 choices for each of the smaller ship classes.

Edited by Odanan
5 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

So.. seems there must always be balance in the force.. Asmodee shifts the miniatures games and fires long time designers, then we get this squadrons update days later.

I wouldn't consider that anywhere near balanced. ☹️

On 11/18/2020 at 12:58 PM, Frimmel said:

They never said that..! They said "No plans".

Which is corporate for "Maybe, if it does well."

On 11/18/2020 at 3:28 PM, Jo Jo said:

It will be very interesting how they balance these two and not make their class equivalents completely obsolete. Especially, the Defender.

Oh, easy. TIE Defenders will not have power shunts like the TIE/LN does. No shielded ship has had both and I highly doubt that'll change here. If anything, flying the TIE Defender will be a lot like flying the X-Wing, which is great news for me since that's my ship of choice in the game!

11 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Oh yikes who got fired?

7 hours ago, Odanan said:

I know Squadron will be effectively complete when they release the two new ships, but wouldn't it be cool if the devs continued to support the game, release more maps, game modes and... more ships? Since the B-wing and the TIE Defender were added to existing classes, which new ships could appear?

• TIE/v1 Advanced*: interceptor class , shielded, 2 guns (more like the A-wing than the TIE Interceptor)
  • Alpha-class Starwing** : bomber class , shielded, 4 guns (more like the B-wing than the TIE Bomber) or TIE/ag Aggressor ** (much like the Y-wing, but unshielded)
  • E-wing ***: fighter class , shielded, 3 guns (much like the X-wing)
  • T-wing****: interceptor class , shielded, 2 guns (much like the A-wing) or V-wing*****: interceptor class

*already modelled in the game.

**canonical, but barely.

***canonical status unknown. Visually, it showed up a couple of times in different ST-era comics but was never named.

****absolutely not canon, but only needs someone to mention it in a book or comics...

*****OK, the Rebels used a lot of Clone Wars ships, including the ARC-170, the N-1 and the Y-wing. Why not the V-wing too? Heck it has even a letter in the name! :P

That way we get 2 choices for each of the smaller ship classes.

Can't think of anything the T-Wing can honestly do differently. TIE/v1 would be an interesting shielded interceptor choice though tbh. I guess the T-Wing could be unshielded and be the only New Republic ship with a power shunt...

The XG-1 was straight up my pick for balancing the B-Wing, but they went crazy with this one so like alright sure why not? E-Wing, can't think of any advantage it'd have over the X besides alternate weapons and being more nimble. They'd be genuinely better off adding the T-70. Hmmm.

I do like the idea of the TIE/v1 being a shielded interceptor choice. They're already considered close to the A-Wing here, so an Imperial True A-Wing equivalent would be wild...