Star Wars: Squadrons

By Jo Jo, in X-Wing Off-Topic

https://venturebeat.com/2020/06/12/star-wars-squadrons-tease/

Some details leaked on a Star Wars game expected to be based solely on space combat. Not many details known right now except for a trailer that will be dropped Monday.

Its EA though... so expectations are very tempered.

Edited by Jo Jo

Summer special has been up yesterday, so I just bought Fallen Order. Will try it this week-end.

I hope that this will be more fast-paced than the ship battles in Battlefront. I found the play with the characters on the ground much mroe interesting than flying ships.

If there will be a canon story (aftermath of the BAttle of Endor ?), I may take it . But for some pew pew, long live X-Wing TMG

Honestly...Fallen Order was great and BF2 (ground combat) is still so much fun, with all the updates they made. I play BF2 regularly with a X-Wing friend and it’s just a great time. Probably the most improved game I’ve ever been played - release to final update.

I'm excited to see the trailer for this.

Edited by dsul413

June 15 Official trailer.

Trailer is going to drop at 11:00 am EDT.

13 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Yes, please.

Thanks.

Not much there as far as how actual gameplay is going to be. I do hope for a deeper gameplay experience than the BF2 Starfighter mode. I hope this isn't the Starfighter mode but with a singleplayer campaign and more ships/maps.

I don't need a full sim, but I want to be able to manage something besides the throttle.

The Trailer is pretty sweet though.

Edited by Jo Jo

The trailer specifically calls out 5 pilots. I'm thinking this an online squad sim, rather than a true flight sim similar to x-wing.

It looks at least like they're making a game for one audience and not trying again to be all Star Wars games to all gamers who want a Star Wars game.

Beyond exasperated and weary of the Star Destoryers in atmosphere.

1 hour ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

The trailer specifically calls out 5 pilots. I'm thinking this an online squad sim, rather than a true flight sim similar to x-wing.

The $40 pricetag I've seen certainly suggests multi-player only. Probably with a lot of for pay customization options.

Edit: This link says there is a single-player story: https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/squadrons/overview

Edited by Frimmel
Added link
8 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

I like the paint scheme.

Looks just like a larger scale version of the ships mode in battlefront.

Four ships for both factions that are balanced to each other, even though an xwing is not equal to a tie fighter.

Two crew members for the uwing and tie reaper looks interesting though.

Obviously starting low on ships so they can add more later to keep the fan base from growing old with the game.

sn7e1o4ve2551.jpg

32 minutes ago, markcsoul said:

Looks just like a larger scale version of the ships mode in battlefront.

Four ships for both factions that are balanced to each other, even though an xwing is not equal to a tie fighter.

Two crew members for the uwing and tie reaper looks interesting though.

Obviously starting low on ships so they can add more later to keep the fan base from growing old with the game.

Y-Wing - Tie Bomber, T-65 - Tie Interceptor, A-Wing- Tie/Ln, U-Wing - Tie Reaper seems to be how they're setting up the balance paring.

Single Player Story Mode Set after events of Return of the Jedi .

Game will be on Consoles, PlayStation and Xbox.

Game can be played in VR on PC and PlayStation 4.

Ability to customize and modify fighters, flightsuites and helmets as “players move up in the rankings.”

18 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Y-Wing - Tie Bomber, T-65 - Tie Interceptor, A-Wing- Tie/Ln, U-Wing - Tie Reaper seems to be how they're setting up the balance paring.

Xwing pairing against Interceptor instead of Tiefighter makes no sense, just like Awing not pairing vs interceptor.

I guess game tiers / roles will go something like

Base ships: XWing / TieFighter

Bombers: YWings / TieBomber

Support: UWing / TieReaper

Ace: AWing / TieInterceptor

9 minutes ago, LUZ_TAK said:

Xwing pairing against Interceptor instead of Tiefighter makes no sense, just like Awing not pairing vs interceptor.

I guess game tiers / roles will go something like

Base ships: XWing / TieFighter

Bombers: YWings / TieBomber

Support: UWing / TieReaper

Ace: AWing / TieInterceptor

A-Wing is allot closer in capability to a Tie/Ln than a Tie/In when you assess without using XWTMG game mechanics and Legends based predispositions. The T-65 X-Wing is closer to a Tie/In in capability than a A-Wing is using the same criteria.

I thought Awings and Interceptors were developed in response to each other. Increased speed and maneuvrability and all that...

I want to be excited for this game. That trailer is very pretty, but the lack of gameplay and a great deal of EA's past games has me a little more cautious than a trailer like this would normally warrant. Here's hoping this is a wonderful modern take on games like X-wing vs Tie Fighter or Rogue Squadron, free of loot boxes and micro-transactions, complete with a worthwhile single player campaign, and multiplayer that's interesting and engaging. Hopefully if it's good it comes to Switch, but honestly I'll settle for it being good.

Edited by Hippie Moosen
1 hour ago, LUZ_TAK said:

I thought Awings and Interceptors were developed in response to each other. Increased speed and maneuvrability and all that...

Not in Canon from what I can recall. A-Wings were a modification of KSE's successor design to the Delta-7. They're fast, but firepower wise they lag behind the Tie/In. T-65 is closer to the capability of the Tie/In than the A-Wing is.

Also their positioning in the images is likely indicative of EA's intentions for them. Transport/heavy fighter in the back, bomber to one side (mirrored), mainline fighter front, light fighter to the side opposite the bombers. Mirrored pairs.

5 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Mirrored pairs.

Indeed, nice catch.

Still no actual gameplay details??

4 hours ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

Still no actual gameplay details??

Thursday