Star Wars: Squadrons

By Jo Jo, in X-Wing Off-Topic

2 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

1. That is what people assume B-wing's fly like. Without some sort of artificial mass generator that would mimic the entire mass of the rest of the b-wing on the opposite side of the cockpit from the hull it wouldn't fly that way.

And as seen, it is EXACTLY how b-wings fly.
I'm sure in a galaxy that has hyperdrive, gravity generation and energy swords that something like that could be done. As it is shown how a b-wing flies, we can extrapolate that is indeed HOW they fly. It isn't logical, but neither is the concept of space fighters, let alone ones that fly like they are atmospheric WWII fighter planes.

As to the gunner in the prototype, they could focus on the controls to avoid any visual stimuli, and as noted there IS gravity control.

8 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

And as seen, it is EXACTLY how b-wings fly.
I'm sure in a galaxy that has hyperdrive, gravity generation and energy swords that something like that could be done. As it is shown how a b-wing flies, we can extrapolate that is indeed HOW they fly. It isn't logical, but neither is the concept of space fighters, let alone ones that fly like they are atmospheric WWII fighter planes.

The way they present it is a massive divergence from how every single other fighter in Star Wars is presented as flying then.

9 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

As to the gunner in the prototype, they could focus on the controls to avoid any visual stimuli, and as noted there IS gravity control.

🤣 🤣 🤣 Good luck with that. Take another look at the gunner pod. There is no "avoiding" any visual stimuli while seated in it unless the gunner is blind.

Prototype_B6-SW_Card_Trader.png

38 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

The way they present it is a massive divergence from how every single other fighter in Star Wars is presented as flying then.

Maybe, but that is seemingly how they fly. And game mechanic wise, that can be done easy enough.

39 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Good luck with that. Take another look at the gunner pod. There is no "avoiding" any visual stimuli while seated in it unless the gunner is blind

There is a possibility that the glass could “black out” during rotation. There are chemicals that suppress hair growth in canon, so why not a high yield dramamine. Finally, it could be why the gunner was removed from the production model - which is likely what would be in game.

You guys are severely overthinking the B-Wing. The best way to solve the problem would be an indicator like this.

image.png.3be9ab56555a03ff428fdaf2d83b188a.png
The ship would move along the flat axis of the body, while the cockpit would stay level. An indicator to see if the far end of the wing was near an obstacle would be necessary, so I covered that. But this really solves the issue if you want it to fly lore accurately as possible. If you want it to fly comfortably, just lock the cockpit and players will adjust. Always note the cockpit is the center of the ship, so it'd have to rotate around that.

This configuration would allow some pretty wild maneuvers, I think. The hardest part would be keeping track of the ship's rotation in relation to your fighter, but I really do have faith in pilots.

IDK why y'all talkin' about the Prototype B-Wing though. First of all composite lasers are in the game, second... C'mon.

1 minute ago, KCDodger said:

IDK why y'all talkin' about the Prototype B-Wing though. First of all composite lasers are in the game, second... C'mon.

It was the reference they presented that supports this in world:

2 minutes ago, KCDodger said:

Always note the cockpit is the center of the ship, so it'd have to rotate around that.

As far as I know that is the only B-Wing variant ever shown to do so, though it is also the only B-Wing variant actually shown performing a roll that I'm aware of. How it rolls is very inconsistent with how basic flight mechanics are applied in Star Wars, much less reality. For the B-Wing performing maneuvers the ship's mass means nothing apparently...

28 minutes ago, KCDodger said:

You guys are severely overthinking the B-Wing. The best way to solve the problem would be an indicator like this.

The ship would move along the flat axis of the body, while the cockpit would stay level. An indicator to see if the far end of the wing was near an obstacle would be necessary, so I covered that. But this really solves the issue if you want it to fly lore accurately as possible. If you want it to fly comfortably, just lock the cockpit and players will adjust. Always note the cockpit is the center of the ship, so it'd have to rotate around that.

This configuration would allow some pretty wild maneuvers, I think. The hardest part would be keeping track of the ship's rotation in relation to your fighter, but I really do have faith in pilots.

@KCDodger this is pretty much what I suggested. Still, the issue is the game model hit box moving around - this is an issue. It needs to be represented in game, which is my main issue. There are ways, as shown above, for how it flies in rebels and your example. That is not an issue, other than making the asymmetric shape.

All the videos I've watched if Squadrons, show vehicles which basically fit in a square (actual hit box may vary) but any flying through debris or asteroids, or even close to another ship could cause the ship to strike. Without playing the game, I don't know if ship shape affects the binding/collision box, but I suspect it does not.

so the binding box needs work, as well as other ships having their actual shape affect collisions. But even with that, having more scripting/coding for one ship with all these distinguishing features makes it problematic. Unless it is locked in place, the b-wing offers challenges for a game. I would love it to have the ship, but it doesn't make sense to add all the extra work for one vessel, which will fly completely different, as well as has a shape that is more difficult.

Honestly, how the ship moves is the smaller issue, it has been shown how it flies, and the cockpit will be how it is represented. But it is all the backstage stuff that makes the ship problematic, and is why it was likely left out. Maybe an expansion/DLC or sequel will have it being added, but I'm not going to bet my bantha.

No expansions / DLCs planned anyway, so all this is pretty much moot. We're not likely to see the B-Wing unless the game is an absolute barnstorming success, and even then with new-gen consoles right around the corner, it would most likely be in a sequel.

I still think people are making these mechanics more complicated than they need to be, though. The original X-Wing PC games didn't make a big deal about this: the cockpit rotated when the s-foils opened and closed, and that was it.

8 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

The original X-Wing PC games didn't make a big deal about this: the cockpit rotated when the s-foils opened and closed, and that was it.

Like it did in the movie (RotJ). 2 positional configurations, foils closed had the cockpit "horizon" level with the "width" of the ship. Foils open the cockpit "horizon" was shifted to be perpendicular to the "width" of the ship.

12 hours ago, KCDodger said:

This. ^

And welcome back.

On 9/28/2020 at 6:52 PM, That Blasted Samophlange said:

@KCDodger this is pretty much what I suggested. Still, the issue is the game model hit box moving around - this is an issue. It needs to be represented in game, which is my main issue. There are ways, as shown above, for how it flies in rebels and your example. That is not an issue, other than making the asymmetric shape.

All the videos I've watched if Squadrons, show vehicles which basically fit in a square (actual hit box may vary) but any flying through debris or asteroids, or even close to another ship could cause the ship to strike. Without playing the game, I don't know if ship shape affects the binding/collision box, but I suspect it does not.

so the binding box needs work, as well as other ships having their actual shape affect collisions. But even with that, having more scripting/coding for one ship with all these distinguishing features makes it problematic. Unless it is locked in place, the b-wing offers challenges for a game. I would love it to have the ship, but it doesn't make sense to add all the extra work for one vessel, which will fly completely different, as well as has a shape that is more difficult.

Honestly, how the ship moves is the smaller issue, it has been shown how it flies, and the cockpit will be how it is represented. But it is all the backstage stuff that makes the ship problematic, and is why it was likely left out. Maybe an expansion/DLC or sequel will have it being added, but I'm not going to bet my bantha.

The collision boxes are probably very tight honestly, they have to be for this game to work properly. This ain't Battlefront II 2 that's for sure.

To be frank, yes. The B-Wing is a real pain in the *** to do right. I would be fine if it didn't function 1:1 how it's supposed to because it's just like, "**** okay. That's really really hard." - I can only imagine the nightmare of the body jittering away from the cockpit. Yikes.

21 hours ago, Odanan said:

This. ^

And welcome back.

It's good to be back!!

Edited by KCDodger
On 9/28/2020 at 8:13 PM, FTS Gecko said:

No expansions / DLCs planned anyway, so all this is pretty much moot. We're not likely to see the B-Wing unless the game is an absolute barnstorming success, and even then with new-gen consoles right around the corner, it would most likely be in a sequel.

I still think people are making these mechanics more complicated than they need to be, though. The original X-Wing PC games didn't make a big deal about this: the cockpit rotated when the s-foils opened and closed, and that was it.

I don't plan on quoting you a whole lot, but the expectations were far lesser at that time period and the technology could hardly support such background work at the time either. Things have changed and fans demand more.

Anyone ever consider that what was shown in that Rebels episode was a result of how badass a pilot Hera is and not how the ship flys normally?

1 hour ago, Hiemfire said:

Anyone ever consider that what was shown in that Rebels episode was a result of how badass a pilot Hera is and not how the ship flys normally?

That is a possibility, yes, but where else do we see the ship fly? The only other place is RotJ, and then it doesn't seem to do much. So, we are kind of in a vacuum, with how it is supposed to move.

Even with Hera’s skills, I don't know if it would change much about how the body rotates around the cockpit.

9 hours ago, KCDodger said:

The collision boxes are probably very tight honestly, they have to be for this game to work properly. This ain't Battlefront II 2 that's for sure.

I'm not 100% convinced of that. Flying a TIE/ln under or through something, you wouldn't be able to do as close a maneuver, as say in an A-wing. Then, how far do the x-wing s-foils stick out to the side? Curious as to when I start to get to play. I suspect I will find out very quickly, as I will crash a lot.

Edited by That Blasted Samophlange
9 hours ago, KCDodger said:

To be frank, yes. The B-Wing is a real pain in the *** to do right. I would be fine if it didn't function 1:1 how it's supposed to because it's just like, "**** okay. That's really really hard." - I can only imagine the nightmare of the body jittering away from the cockpit. Yikes.

Yeah I'm right there with ya. I'd love for it to be a perfect representation of what we see on screen, but just getting it as a flyable ship is enough for me. Hopefully The B-wing get's added if this game does well enough to earn a sequel or updates that add entire ships.

1 hour ago, Hiemfire said:

Yeah definitely. Heck most of what she pulls off I kinda figured was the result of her skills and the idea that maybe this prototype is more than a little better than the typical mass production B-wing. There's not a lot to go on from the movies or other material, but in every game I've seen the B-wing featured, it's usually a lot less agile than what Hera was seen doing with it.

9 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

Nah. That's long been a known feature. But she is a remarkable pilot that was able to get the most out of it from the word go, because she's just like that.

She should be an I6 A-Wing pilot.

8 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

I'm not 100% convinced of that. Flying a TIE/ln under or through something, you wouldn't be able to do as close a maneuver, as say in an A-wing. Then, how far do the x-wing s-foils stick out to the side? Curious as to when I start to get to play. I suspect I will find out very quickly, as I will crash a lot.

You'll have to get used to that feel. But if you want a small hitbox just fly a TIE Interceptor.

8 hours ago, Hippie Moosen said:

Yeah definitely. Heck most of what she pulls off I kinda figured was the result of her skills and the idea that maybe this prototype is more than a little better than the typical mass production B-wing. There's not a lot to go on from the movies or other material, but in every game I've seen the B-wing featured, it's usually a lot less agile than what Hera was seen doing with it.

They had to be able to produce the parts to make the thing, honestly. I wouldn't be surprised if The Resistance's B-Wing only had composite lasers instead of warheads given how it looks like it has zero **** space for that stuff and it's really narrow, but The Rebellion could not easily put those on everything.

Early reveal !! First missions !

Mainly positive reviews. Sounds like PSVR is lack of resolution is a slight problem. I haven't touched my PSVR headset since BF2 put out that VR mission. Definitely getting this for PC and then maybe when the game is discounted down the line pick it up for PS and just fool around in single player.

Edited by Jo Jo