The RPG lines are continuing! Pretty much just waiting for an official announcement at this point!

By LeighPouse, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Is the system perfect? No. Nothing created by humanity is.

It doesn't mean that I'm throwing away my books. I've been GMing a (mostly) monthly game for over 6 years now, and the only thing that bothers me is the vehicle combat rules.

For which I ported over some Genesys rules recently, and it seems to work well.

That said, after this campaign is finished, I'm going to take a little break to let a friend run something different before starting up another SW campaign, using the F&D books that I've hardly touched. I expect that to keep us for at least 4 or 5 more years, without purchasing a single new product!

Edited by salamar_dree
53 minutes ago, salamar_dree said:

I can't figure out why he still frequents these forums. It seems like he hates this system...

I have no idea

1 hour ago, salamar_dree said:

I can't figure out why he still frequents these forums. It seems like he hates this system...

That's sort of like saying "Crime rate falling, despite prisons filling." He frequents these forums because he hates the system. :D

1 hour ago, salamar_dree said:

55 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

I have no idea

9 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

That's sort of like saying "Crime rate falling, despite prisons filling." He frequents these forums because he hates the system. :D

@P-47 Thunderbolt hit the nail right on the head. HappyDaze is the quintessential Heckler. Not only does he personally hate the system, he wants everyone else to hate it as well.

For those who can read French, Here , is an interview about the future of RPGs with Edge Studio. Nothing on Star Wars but some news for L5R, Genesys and Midnight. I want to hope that that silence about the future of Star Wars RPG is just because there's nothing new to announce and not because the Licence is discontinued. But I'm a little bit less optimistic than I was.

9 minutes ago, WolfRider said:

For those who can read French, Here , is an interview about the future of RPGs with Edge Studio. Nothing on Star Wars but some news for L5R, Genesys and Midnight. I want to hope that that silence about the future of Star Wars RPG is just because there's nothing new to announce and not because the Licence is discontinued. But I'm a little bit less optimistic than I was.

Well, Asmodee as a parent company still holds the Star Wars tabletop gaming license, and has a fair amount of product in the pipeline for X-Wing and Armada, both of which sell solidly, and hinted in an interview at GAMA (when the FFG/Edge restructuring was announced) that more might even be on the way for Imperial Assault. Not to mention, Edge’s post-announcement web site includes Star Wars. So the license is unlikely to go anywhere for a while. Whether that means the RPG will just see reprints, new books, or some sort of “revised” or “second” edition remains to be seen.

As for any interviews, even when FFG was making Star Wars, they weren't allowed to mention anything in development until an official announcement was made.

On 7/19/2020 at 9:31 PM, HappyDaze said:

Give them a year...and then don't be surprised when anything you bought before then becomes obsolete.

I own 30 year old Star Wars RPG books from West End Games that aren't obsolete wrt the current FFG game.

37 minutes ago, micheldebruyn said:

I own 30 year old Star Wars RPG books from West End Games that aren't obsolete wrt the current FFG game.

There's a substantial and viable community of Star Wars RPG players that believe there hasn't been a good Star Wars RPG since the WEG days, with some of them having been running campaigns in that system since the system debuted, house-ruling in new material as necessary (usually ships and Force powers).

Heck, there are at least a few gaming groups that I'm aware of who are still actively playing WotC's Saga Edition, again house-ruling in any elements from the Disney media as necessary for their campaign, with zero interest to switching over to a different system no matter who publishes it, even if WotC were to somehow regain the license and do a 5e-based/inspired version.

2 hours ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

There's a substantial and viable community of Star Wars RPG players that believe there hasn't been a good Star Wars RPG since the WEG days, with some of them having been running campaigns in that system since the system debuted, house-ruling in new material as necessary (usually ships and Force powers).

Heck, there are at least a few gaming groups that I'm aware of who are still actively playing WotC's Saga Edition, again house-ruling in any elements from the Disney media as necessary for their campaign, with zero interest to switching over to a different system no matter who publishes it, even if WotC were to somehow regain the license and do a 5e-based/inspired version.

The first FFG campaign I put together just a few years ago was intended as a WEG campaign. As I was planning it, and getting players together, I was invited into an FFG game. I liked it, and my son - who’d played neither, and was going to be in my campaign - started playing in that FFG campaign, so I switched over to avoid him having to learn two systems. No regrets.

But I’ve still got tons of material from a WEG campaign I was in some 20 years ago.

Same here. Despite having sold off several shelves worth of WEG D6 SW stuff, I still got quite a lot of it. Much of it still holds up (stories and the like), but some of it is WAY dated. Also, IMHO the D6 rules are neigh unplayable now... I stopped playing the D6 games in the late 90s, having invested probably over a thousand game hours in it at that point, 'cause I couldn't take the broken rules anymore. I switched to Fading Suns and didn't look back :D

I actually tried to start up a new game about 10 years ago, then with the updated D6 Space version of the rules, but nope, it still doesn't work. I played only a handful of WotC/D20/Saga/Idunno Star Wars sessions, and it was... all right, I guess. When FFG's SWRPG came out, I resisted it fiercly (after trying the EotE starting box scenario with a friend as GM), mostly based on my poor impression of WFRP3 - I had nothing personally against the rules (or rather how I perceived them to be), but they weren't for me.

Now, last summer/fall, a friend of mine began talking about possibly doing something with the FFG version of SWRPG. Neither of us liked any of the earlier versions, and all our attempts at running SW with a different system had failed or collapsed under the enormous weight of all the necessary conversion work. His idea was to buy a couple of things and try it out... We read up on it together and he bought a few things; then I found someone selling in the region of 80% of all FFG SWRPG online and just went for it. And man, having been a complete johnny-come-lately, I definitelly have no regrets now! While the FFG SWRPG system is WAY fiddley, it is also pretty strong and very well integrated, and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna GM this thing for years and years to come (frequently using WEG & SAGA adventure modules, too). The writing is also pretty good throughout, and the stories ranging from decent to great (something I could definitelly not say for the old WEG stuff).

Moreover, I'm looking forward to whatever Edge puts forth for the game, and vow to support their products in whatever way I can. I hope they start a new gameline, like High Republic or even Old Republic or Sequel Trilogy or something, and I'll certainly gobble it all up.

14 hours ago, micheldebruyn said:

That really depends on how you intend to use them. They're not exactly compatible; you need to play one or the other at any given time, and for the non-game stuff, there are better references than either. Don't get me wrong though, I own both D6 and FFG lines and I'm happy to have them. However, I wouldn't start buying into FFG right now--I'd wait and see what Edge puts out because I think it's likely to be a new edition or even a new version, and I'm hopeful it has learned from the failings of the current line (e.g., vehicle combat sucks, sensor rules are crap, etc.) and then I can also hope it steers away from taking a nose dive into "the narrative" and moves a bit more to the traditional side. Again, don't get me wrong, I like some lighter narrative elements, but crap like Bad Motivator and many of the Signature Abilities just take me out of the game since, in my eyes, they are player abilities not character abilities.

5 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

I can also hope it steers away from taking a nose dive into "the narrative" and moves a bit more to the traditional side. Again, don't get me wrong, I like some lighter narrative elements, but crap like Bad Motivator and many of the Signature Abilities just take me out of the game since, in my eyes, they are player abilities not character abilities.

And again the divide between out opinions is super clear.
Having this system move away from “the narrative” would be the absolute worst move possible for Edge to make. It is literally what makes this system unique and popular.
Oh, and Bad Motivator? Amazing.

2 hours ago, DanteRotterdam said:

Having this system move away from “the narrative” would be the absolute worst move possible for Edge to make. It is literally what makes this system unique and popular.

Exactly this.

The narrative system is not only perfect for Star Wars, it has rapidly become my favourite RPG rules system.

Yeah, vehicle stuff ain't great, but you can deal with that with a patch book, like the Advanced Players Guide for Genysis. Shove in a few other rules polishes, and some new material and you have breathed new life into the system while keeping all the existing books, and without the need to start from scratch.

Edited by Stethemessiah
My terrible typing.
8 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

That really depends on how you intend to use them.

Narratively 😁 .

They're not exactly compatible; you need to play one or the other at any given time, and for the non-game stuff, there are better references than either.

Well, yeah, I'm not using them for the game mechanics. Which are well past their sell-by date anyway.

However, I wouldn't start buying into FFG right now....

There are some real practical barriers toward starting to buy books that are only for sale for crazy money, if at all. I would happily started to buy them (if I didn't alreay own all that I want) if they were available normally.

I'd wait and see what Edge puts out because I think it's likely to be a new edition or even a new version, and I'm hopeful it has learned from the failings of the current line...

Whatever they put out isn't going to be 100% incompatible with what we have. Or if it is, then I'm not interested in it. At worst they're going to rip out some chunks that don't work well and replace them with Genesys systems that do those things better. And maybe get rid of all game mechanics that multiply damage x 10.

I can also hope it steers away from taking a nose dive into "the narrative" and moves a bit more to the traditional side...

Well, you certainly can hope, but I'd say that's pretty unrealistic. If anything, games are moving more into that direction than less.

Edited by micheldebruyn
7 hours ago, DanteRotterdam said:

Yeah, different people have different opinions... Who would have thought it?

Rest assured, I value your opinion as much as you value mine. Speaking of which, I can't recall why I took you off of Ignore...

5 hours ago, micheldebruyn said:

Well, you certainly can hope, but I'd say that's pretty unrealistic. If anything, games are moving more into that direction than less.

Not all games, thankfully, have gone that route. Again though, I don't mind some narrative elements, I just think they go too far at times. That's entirely a matter of opinion and taste though, so I don't necessarily expect anyone to fully agree (or disagree) as the threshold is going to be different for everyone. At the same time, my tolerance for hardcore simulationism isn't all that high either, but I'd like the game to lean a bit more toward that direction.

Community PSA:

d6249402f8f9d8906fedbee254a0c249.jpg

18 minutes ago, HappyDaze said:

Yeah, different people have different opinions... Who would have thought it?

I think he was saying that this shows why you disagree, not that you disagree. The latter is readily apparent.

You are coming at it from different angles, not just arriving at different conclusions.

17 minutes ago, HappyDaze said:

Not all games, thankfully, have gone that route. Again though, I don't mind some narrative elements, I just think they go too far at times. That's entirely a matter of opinion and taste though, so I don't necessarily expect anyone to fully agree (or disagree) as the threshold is going to be different for everyone. At the same time, my tolerance for hardcore simulationism isn't all that high either, but I'd like the game to lean a bit more toward that direction.

One of the things that I like about this... let's say looser rules is that it is very easy to modify and tweak without throwing a ton of stuff off. Most mechanics are pretty readily modifiable because the system is fairly compartmentalized, with the talents being the main cross over and those are easily adjusted.

Now, most stuff doesn't need to be tweaked and is fine as-is, but I love experimenting with things and modifying to suit it to my liking.

41 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I think he was saying that this shows why you disagree, not that you disagree. The latter is readily apparent.

You are coming at it from different angles, not just arriving at different conclusions.

100% and I also explicitly tried to be unconfrontational about it.

1 hour ago, HappyDaze said:

Rest assured, I value your opinion as much as you value mine.

I never said I don’t value your opinion. In fact I thought you were a game tester for the system at one point or another were you not?

3 hours ago, DanteRotterdam said:

I never said I don’t value your opinion. In fact I thought you were a game tester for the system at one point or another were you not?

I was, on a few F&D books and one AoR 2014-2016, before the warts of the system started to outweigh what I liked about it. Still played it for another year after that, but now I can't stand it and hope for something new.

That seems like a huge turnaround... then again I have fun with every system I play with. Whether it is this system, 5e, fiasco, etc. as long as there are friends snacks and a couple of beers I enjoy myself. Only game I never really got into was Cuthullu as I didn’t enjoy the whole “your character loses their mind”-thing.

On 7/21/2020 at 2:42 AM, DanteRotterdam said:

Dead? I would sooner call it complete.

This seems like the correct term, but the end result will still be the same.

I had a discussion with one of my players about where else they could go with this game, and we couldn’t really come up with anything. Regardless of how you feel about it, the Disney trilogy did not tread any new ground or introduce anything that a decent GM couldn’t create themselves or reskin something and give it “+1s” for stats.

And the things on the table aren’t any better. The Mandalorian doesn’t do much, and the new shows are based in time periods that are very fleshed out.

So until Disney decides to actually push something cutting edge (which I doubt is any time soon), it really does seem to be complete.

And this isn’t meant to start any “the new stuff is awful” spats. I enjoy watching a good portion of it. It’s just not adding anything that could be made into new rpg sourcebooks.

Edited by Flavorabledeez