The RPG lines are continuing! Pretty much just waiting for an official announcement at this point!

By LeighPouse, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Saw this being shared around but hadn't seen it here yet.

It seems that the RPG lines are going to continue and we can expect some sort of announcement soon!

Here is the twitch link if you want to check out the chat for yourself.

I feel like a weight has been lifted haha.

hg278t5fbyk41.jpg

*edit* Thought I'd add these up top for visibility.

Facebook

On 3/10/2020 at 11:15 PM, DangerShine Designs said:

Taken from a FB group, supposedly from someone at GAMA:

”This just in, Asmodee (FFG) roleplaying is NOT going away. It is transitioning to a new imprint called Edge Studios. And those older Star Wars books WILL be reprinted! Huzzah!”

I guess we shall see, but this makes me a little more hopeful

Reddit

Someone on Reddit posted: "Attended the GAMA Asmodee Keynote an hour ago. The FFG branded role playing games will be transitioning to a new European company over the course of this year. The company is called Edge Entertainment. Old books will still be printed, and new ones will be made. New books will still work with existing ones, so it's not a new edition."

https://www.enworld.org/threads/ffg-roleplaying-games-arent-going-away-after-all.670882/

EDGE Studio Website

People were worried that EDGE Studio's website didn't have an English page/section but it now appears that it has been updated and it does indeed feature the Star Wars, Genesis and Five Rings properties on there. https://edge-studio.net/

Edited by LeighPouse
updated info

It’s been talked about here and there, particularly in the “worst news for the game” thread.

As I noted over there, what it doesn’t say is that development of new material will continue. We’ve also got public posts from Kat Ostrander, currently FFG’s Director of Story and Setting, saying RPG development isn’t in FFG’s long-term plan. Of the two statements, I tend to give a bit more weight to the specific statement made by the person putting her name behind it than the vague statement by an anonymous chat admin (while still crossing my fingers that Kat is wrong).

Going forward with the release of material already in the pipeline and then keeping books in print allows both statements to be true.

oh well. I am awaiting my two last missing career books by now since I tried to get my hands on all the missing ones when the shutdown news came (like many others, according to the increasing prices). it would still be great if more content would come, though I wonder what else there even could be. I'm certainly not interested in sequel stuff 😕

Rebellions are built on hope. Hope is built on lies.

I expected an official response at GAMA, but fear of Covid-19 exposure has companies canceling their appearances. So, since most businesses announce their annual plans in March, we probably don't have to wait long to hear what the official answer is -- one way or the other.

"RPGs will continue" does not indicate new releases beyond what has been announced. In PR talk, they will continue until the last announced book (Keyforge Genesys I think) is on the shelves.

I'd love for there to be a future to them, and am keeping fingers crossed with everyone else, but do not take this as confirmation of anything until more details are forthcoming.

1 hour ago, Kualan said:

"RPGs will continue" does not indicate new releases beyond what has been announced. In PR talk, they will continue until the last announced book (Keyforge Genesys I think) is on the shelves.

I'd love for there to be a future to them, and am keeping fingers crossed with everyone else, but do not take this as confirmation of anything until more details are forthcoming.

Or the last book that is beyond a certain point in developement. IE manuscript complete and ready for the printer. or some point like that. We just dont know what the cut off actually is...

3 hours ago, Mistervimes said:

I expected an official response at GAMA, but fear of Covid-19 exposure has companies canceling their appearances. So, since most businesses announce their annual plans in March, we probably don't have to wait long to hear what the official answer is -- one way or the other.

My career means we're gearing up for a worse case scenario of closures/forced quarantine.. I have boxsets ready, Edge & F&D books to reread.. and I plan on writing the next part of my Edge sandbox (unless I fall ill where I will mope around the house feeling sorry for myself).

Maybe they will continue the SW rpg line, hope so

In the same group that the OP was taken from, someone claimed that the FFG license was up in December ‘20 which (whilst we can’t validate as its internet rumors) would explain this vacillation, would also explain the lack of time to design, develop and produce new content before the license ends and it might just mean than Genesys is carrying on as the Foundry is a fan-driven money-maker.

again, can’t validate any of the above, just adding to the swirl of desperate rumors about our beloved game.

Edited by DangerShine Designs
1 hour ago, DidntFallAsleep66 said:

My career means we're gearing up for a worse case scenario of closures/forced quarantine.. I have boxsets ready, Edge & F&D books to reread.. and I plan on writing the next part of my Edge sandbox (unless I fall ill where I will mope around the house feeling sorry for myself).

The conference I was scheduled to work next week was cancelled on Monday. Buh-bye to 20-30 hours of OT.

I’ll be more upset if the one I’m set to work April 1-4 gets cancelled because, in addition to missing out on OT, I’d have been able to attend GamerNation Con.

1 hour ago, DangerShine Designs said:

In the same group that the OP was taken from, someone claimed that the FFG license was up in December ‘20 which (whilst we can’t validate as its internet rumors) would explain this vacillation, would also explain the lack of time to design, develop and produce new content before the license ends and it might just mean than Genesys is carrying on as the Foundry is a fan-driven money-maker.

again, can’t validate any of the above, just adding to the swirl of desperate rumors about our beloved game.

well except they are putting out new Legion and X-wing products. Which uses the same license. so clearly they renewed it and likely did so a while ago. I do seem to recall there being a requirement for a certain amount of RPG product in the license which kicked off Saga Edition. @Donovan Morningfire might remember. He never listens to Order66 and I believe it got discussed there at one time.

11 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

well except they are putting out new Legion and X-wing products. Which uses the same license. so clearly they renewed it and likely did so a while ago. I do seem to recall there being a requirement for a certain amount of RPG product in the license which kicked off Saga Edition. @Donovan Morningfire might remember. He never listens to Order66 and I believe it got discussed there at one time.

again, unsubstantiated internet rumors, take them for what they're worth. This was the thread, very scant on details. I don't know any of these people commenting so this could well all just be conjecture.

ffg-rumor.png

28 minutes ago, DangerShine Designs said:

again, unsubstantiated internet rumors, take them for what they're worth. This was the thread, very scant on details. I don't know any of these people commenting so this could well all just be conjecture.

ffg-rumor.png

Well the release of new RPG and Miniatures games products does confirm they still have the license. But that is all it confirms. But I do remember a conversation with Rodney Thompson about saga saying something along the lines of they had to do a certain number of products. I just dont remember the specifics...

57 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

Well the release of new RPG and Miniatures games products does confirm they still have the license. But that is all it confirms. But I do remember a conversation with Rodney Thompson about saga saying something along the lines of they had to do a certain number of products. I just dont remember the specifics...

I guess we shall find out over time. Hoping for the best and preparing for the worst :)

So far, all I have is the Edge of the Empire Core Book, and I am a long ways from having everything I want, and from looking at the list of available books, I don't see any holes that genuinely needs filled; so, no new material for a while is no problem to me; so, I hope the old stuff will be available for a while.

22 minutes ago, Balorna said:

So far, all I have is the Edge of the Empire Core Book, and I am a long ways from having everything I want, and from looking at the list of available books, I don't see any holes that genuinely needs filled; so, no new material for a while is no problem to me; so, I hope the old stuff will be available for a while.

The list of "available books"no longer necessarily includes all of the titles produced.

I am personally taking the Twitch statement with a major pinch of salt. Asmode appear to be manouvering FFG for sell off, given the flood of boardgames and crash in sales due to kickstarter.
As with all capital venture groups and asset management investments they usually look at a four to five year return cycle on investments. Buy a company, make cuts/improvements increase market share etc and then sell off and move onto the next project. Given that its clear the boardgame retailers are struggling to shift games europe due to the flooding of the direct to market supply resulting from Kickstarter, its very much likley to be that Asmode and their owners are now looking to withdraw and cash in before the market reaches collapse. I was told according to one retailer around 900 new titles of board and card games reaching the market each month now, the majority being direct supply and upfront kickstarter purchasing.

This fits with the move to close the less profitable RPG wing at FFG to make the company more attractive to a future buyer. The retention of licenses is likley as these add value, but that doesnt mean the delivery of games.

The above also fits with Asmode having reportedly removed the Star Wars line of books from their retailers catalogue and the online ordering system for retailers. The only titles listing last week were "fully operational" and the latest Starships and Speeders my industry source has told me. The Starship and Speeders Book due for release in UK last month and only released in the USA, has been delayed and retailers are unlikely to reach their full order compliments depending when they ordered their stock, supposedly due to recent storm flood damage to a warehouse in the UK.
I have been notified that a few initial copies arrived with one retailer who sold out in and hour or so of listing them online. I messaged to ask if the book was in stock, and not "on pre-order" as many other sellers have as it didn't clearly state, and they replied yes 20 minutes later to say yes, but when I tried to order, I just missed out all copies had gone. :(
I have my preorder for a copy in with my usual stockist and have fingers crossed in hope I get mine, but they are not holding my much hope of satisfying everyone who has ordered.
There was also a moderate restock of dice packs for Star Wars and Genesys but again it appears these too have now reportedly been withdrawn from the catalogue ordering system.

If FFG have an announcement coming, it seems which ever way it goes, its going to be a long while at least if they are continuing before we see any kind of restock or return to sale for the RPG lines. And can avoid the increasing impact of the Corona Virus on shipping/manufacturing etc in China where the books are printed to. So I can only suggest folks grab the bits they need when they see them and keep fingers crossed that if any announcement is made its a positive one. Time to hit ebay and hope for me!

Regarding WotC and "required number of RPG products per year" I don't think there was ever a hard statement on what that was, just a soft number of "a few," as well as it never being spelled out what an RPG product had to be. I think for quite some time WotC got by with their collectible minis game by releasing supplemental books and web articles that included "RPG" style scenarios, at least until Chris Perkins got the idea to try a new version with Saga Edition.

That also doesn't mean that FFG is operating under the precise same license (apart from the "no PDFs" clause) that WotC was. For all that's actually known, FFG may not be required to publish any specific volume of RPG products each year; they were quite possibly in a better bargaining posture than WotC was back in the late 90's, when Star Wars fever was reigniting and D&D 3rd edition had yet to really kickstart the d20 boom to make WotC one of the true giants of the gaming industry (yes, they had Magic the Gathering, but even that was starting to go stale at that point in time). At the time FFG got the license, there was little indication of major new Star Wars media apart from Clone Wars and novels, so they may have had a better bargaining posture when acquiring the various game licenses.

Taken from a FB group, supposedly from someone at GAMA:

”This just in, Asmodee (FFG) roleplaying is NOT going away. It is transitioning to a new imprint called Edge Studios. And those older Star Wars books WILL be reprinted! Huzzah!”

I guess we shall see, but this makes me a little more hopeful

Yeah, people have been posting pictures from FFG's slideshow at GAMA. It seems legit.

Someone else just posted on Reddit:

Attended the GAMA Asmodee Keynote an hour ago. The FFG branded role playing games will be transitioning to a new European company over the course of this year. The company is called Edge Entertainment. Old books will still be printed, and new ones will be made. New books will still work with existing ones, so it's not a new edition.

WOOO! If true, this is great news!

It will be interesting to see how a game studio whose website is (currently) only in Spanish and French, and presumably whose main body of work is translation of games, will cope with this new task.

Of course, that's assuming FFG won't still be involved on some level or another.

This kind of speculation is great fun, utterly useless, and only reinforces worry and gamistential angst. So, I just look forward to the day we actually know something substantial, like announcement of a few new books, a bunch of reprints (oh and a revision of the GM screens into something more along the lines of Genesys would be ace), or something along those lines.