The RPG lines are continuing! Pretty much just waiting for an official announcement at this point!

By LeighPouse, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

*added a few links etc to the top to cover some of the stuff mentioned here and elsewhere*

Edited by LeighPouse
6 hours ago, Jegergryte said:

It will be interesting to see how a game studio whose website is (currently) only in Spanish and French, and presumably whose main body of work is translation of games, will cope with this new task.

Of course, that's assuming FFG won't still be involved on some level or another.

This kind of speculation is great fun, utterly useless, and only reinforces worry and gamistential angst. So, I just look forward to the day we actually know something substantial, like announcement of a few new books, a bunch of reprints (oh and a revision of the GM screens into something more along the lines of Genesys would be ace), or something along those lines.

yeah moving production of the game to a companies whose website does not have an english version doesnt inspire confidence in a product whose biggest demographic are english speakers does not inspire confidence in their planning....

8 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

yeah moving production of the game to a companies whose website does not have an english version doesnt inspire confidence in a product whose biggest demographic are english speakers does not inspire confidence in their planning....

I don't know that I agree, the translation part isn't too much of a concern for me at this point (for all we know, they might use the US team as freelancers), my concern is more around their track-record and capabilities - I know nothing about them so it's going to require a leap of faith in their abilities.

That all said, if they are using freelancers (again, supposition) and they are really the layout, production and printing arm, this might be seamless. Let's hope for the best :)

Edited by DangerShine Designs
9 minutes ago, DangerShine Designs said:

I don't know that I agree, the translation part isn't too much of a concern for me at this point (for all we know, they might use the US team as freelancers), my concern is more around their track-record and capabilities - I know nothing about them so it's going to require a leap of faith in their abilities.

That all said, if they are using freelancers (again, supposition) and they are really the layout, production and printing arm, this might be seamless. Let's hope for the best :)

Knowing nothing about them and NOT being able to read their web page is the part where I lose some faith.

Just now, Daeglan said:

Knowing nothing about them and NOT being able to read their web page is the part where I lose some faith.

Don't disagree that it's a double whammy, I think (as a European by birth & upbringing, now a US citizen) the language thing concerns me way less that, as you say, the lack of a track record. Still hoping for the best!

7 minutes ago, DangerShine Designs said:

Don't disagree that it's a double whammy, I think (as a European by birth & upbringing, now a US citizen) the language thing concerns me way less that, as you say, the lack of a track record. Still hoping for the best!

from what I can tell using google translate they seem to translate a lot of games from other companies...

Just now, Daeglan said:

from what I can tell using google translate they seem to translate a lot of games from other companies...

thank you, hadn't seen that. That might be a good sign but again, not too concerned about a European country being able to translate into English. There are way more bilingual folks there than here, translation hasn't felt like a real issue in 20 years.

again, I think we're agreeing, just hoping their quality is good!

1 minute ago, DangerShine Designs said:

thank you, hadn't seen that. That might be a good sign but again, not too concerned about a European country being able to translate into English. There are way more bilingual folks there than here, translation hasn't felt like a real issue in 20 years.

again, I think we're agreeing, just hoping their quality is good!

My problem is the whole thing has been mishandled. and near as I can tell they had massive brain drain by letting the core team for RPGs go at FFG. Now if they had just moved them under the EDGEENT banner I think people would have had less trepidation. But their piss poor PR made people nervous. Then when you finally find out what is going to happen and go to check out the site to see what they are about and get a foriegn language site...I have worked for a company that did PR. and this is kind of a case study in what not to do....

Just now, Daeglan said:

My problem is the whole thing has been mishandled. and near as I can tell they had massive brain drain by letting the core team for RPGs go at FFG. Now if they had just moved them under the EDGEENT banner I think people would have had less trepidation. But their piss poor PR made people nervous. Then when you finally find out what is going to happen and go to check out the site to see what they are about and get a foriegn language site...I have worked for a company that did PR. and this is kind of a case study in what not to do....

totally agree. this whole thing has been badly handled from start to finish.

I'm just glad I didn't make a run on the books while they were at obscene prices.

7 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I'm just glad I didn't make a run on the books while they were at obscene prices.

being a pessimist and having had to pay exorbitant prices previously for items that I didn't buy in a timely fashion (yes, I'm looking at you, WEG), I'm glad I have been buying the books when they were released so I had no unnecessary (or expensive to fill!) holes in my collection.

They haven't moved them under Edge ENT. They're officially under EDGE Studio. Which literally does not seem to have existed before today... here's their website (thanks @c__beck ):

https://edge-studio.net/

Nice that it's in english. But the fact that they didn't have any business/online presence ready to roll out with the announcement only ads to the picture of a botched job that's forming here...

Here's to hoping they "get the team back together", but short of that, I can't get excited about this move until we see the quality of the actual content from them.

*added stuff about the website now being in English up top*

It seems all we are waiting for now is an official announcement!

I'm more concerned with the WHO then the company. Are they going to use freelancers that we all know and love? Bring in new talent? I could care less about the name on the logo if the writers are good at what they do. I highly doubt (and highly hope against) it's a small company that has their own writers that is imagining they are going to step into someone else's product and keep it the same quality or better. I hope they at least bring on some in-house or freelancers from the original talent for Genesys and SW.

2 hours ago, emsquared said:

They haven't moved them under Edge ENT. They're officially under EDGE Studio. Which literally does not seem to have existed before today... here's their website (thanks @c__beck 😞

https://edge-studio.net/

Nice that it's in english. But the fact that they didn't have any business/online presence ready to roll out with the announcement only ads to the picture of a botched job that's forming here...

Here's to hoping they "get the team back together", but short of that, I can't get excited about this move until we see the quality of the actual content from them.

Now this is interesting. The picture shared from GAMA named them Edge Studio, but also had a link to edge entertainment. This is pretty cool.

I'm not entirely sure I share the doom and gloom gamistentialism. The ongoing pandemic is more worrisome. Anyhew.

That website looks nice, and it seems things are somewhat planned at least. Being bad at PR luckily doesn't equate being bad at business, or organisation, or game design.

Now to figure out who will man the design and production side of things in that company.

Edited by Jegergryte
On 3/11/2020 at 4:37 PM, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I almost did this exact thing. Am only missing a couple and nearly grabbed Nexus of Power for £50, luckily I resisted.

Has anyone heard anything more up to date as I am loath to buy into a new system that is in this limbo...

19 minutes ago, aswitcher said:

Has anyone heard anything more up to date as I am loath to buy into a new system that is in this limbo...

There are already about 45 books published for this game line. Not sure if that is limbo. More that there is already a heaping ton of content already published but some more would be cool too.

1 hour ago, aswitcher said:

The announcement of the transition of RPGs to Edge was at GAMA at the beginning of March, right before the entire world shut down due to pandemic.

At the end of May, as things began to slowly reopen, came word that Sam Gregor-Stewart would assume the role of RPG Manager for Edge, the same role he had at FFG. Given the global circumstances, it’s probably safe to conclude that ramping up Edge’s infrastructure was on hold until Sam started.

At the beginning of the most recent Order 66 Podcast, Chris said that he and Hooly had reached out to Edge when the announcement was initially made to express a desire to continue the same close working relationship that Order 66 (and The Forge) had with FFG with Edge. Edge’s reply was that they would be glad to, but asked that the shows “give them the year” as they would prefer to have more specific information to discuss on the shows.

Between that, and the printers playing catch-up for publishers of all kinds, I’m not expecting to hear much of anything for a while.

Edited by Nytwyng
39 minutes ago, aswitcher said:

If you can find the core rulebook at a price lower than your firstborn child, I would recommend getting it.

That qualifier is the hard part though.

We should be getting reprints eventually, and then it's a great game with a ton of material that I would highly recommend.

7 hours ago, aswitcher said:

Give them a year...and then don't be surprised when anything you bought before then becomes obsolete. That's not a bad thing. Hopefully the new edition (or all new version) will be better. In the meantime, I wouldn't bother to get into FFG's dead line now.

On 7/19/2020 at 9:31 PM, HappyDaze said:

In the meantime, I wouldn't bother to get into FFG's dead line now.

Dead? I would sooner call it complete.

2 hours ago, DanteRotterdam said:

Dead? I would sooner call it complete.

Of course, and much as cemeteries are filled with the remains of those who have completed their lives, by all means buy in to FFG's lines now to line your shelves with the remains of a complete game.

I really don’t understand this attitude.
Are the Lord of the Rings novels “dead” because there are no new books coming out? Is there no value in owning a classic car because they are no longer being built? Is Cassablanca no longer worth watching because there are color movies being made today?
There is zero indication there will be no reprints same as there is zero indication there will be. But... that doesn’t mean buying into FFG’s SW rpg is equal to being a corpse. Then again I have not known you and I to have ever agreed on the smallest of things so I shouldn’t be surprised that we are at odds here too.

I can't figure out why he still frequents these forums. It seems like he hates this system...