Tales from the Fringe Anthology IC

By P-47 Thunderbolt, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

"Would that be in the interest of simplifying the operation of the ship?" Aleena asked.

Barda simply looked intrigued at the idea.

It also has the added benefit of controlling one ship, while in another. Rav looked down at the small droid, Ner ba'buir Ru'kel kar'taylir darasuum gar.

My grandfather would love you

"Then it sounds like we should go for one of the Imperial ships. Perhaps two. Can you give us any intel as to the security around the ships, and what types of vessels are available for our acquisition?" Cadena asks.

Last I checked, there are a small group of Stormtroopers guarding each ship while on the ground and their crew are on leave. Rav told them. Roughly three to four troopers.

Rav leaned back and snorted in amusement. You know whats funny? she waved vaguely around them, These Imperials think they're hiding.. None of the locals know Palpatine is dead and the Empire is in shambles.

"You're kidding, right?" Barda said. "I'm not the most politically-interested person in the galaxy, but even I've heard of that piece of news!"

Rav shrugged, We are in a pretty remote part of the galaxy, news travels slower.. And most of the trade comes in from further out, this is as rimward as most go.. That and the Imp's keep a pretty tight lid on current events. Which makes me very curious about what they're doing.

"I'd be interested in knowing that too ... after so many seismic changes in the galaxy over the past thirty years, it's wise to keep an eye on even the defeated factions," Aleena noted quietly. "One never knows when something ugly might pop up - or re-appear for that matter. 'Never concede to evil' is a saying among our people, and some have added 'Always keep an eye on evil'."

"And kill it when you get the chance." Cadena adds.

"Though you might've been the one to add that part." Sienna retorts, chuckling.

The four nightsisters, along with the two droids, take their leave of Rav and make their way back to The Sleeping Hutt to regroup.

Sienna sheds her cloak and clambers up onto the top bunk, scooping up the sprig she used to mark her territory and returning it to her satchel. "So, now what?"

Cadena raises an eyebrow at her sister, then leans against the wall. "We should shed the dead weight." Just as Crash begins to protest, she waves him down, "I'm not talking about you, unless you think you qualify. We still have the trade goods from Dathomir, and bringing them with us would be complicated . Aleena, do you think you can sell these quickly?"

"Probably," Aleena replied. "The Jawas might be interested in them, or at least know who would be."

Sienna rummages through her satchel briefly, then hangs it from a convenient protuberance. "Then I think you and I should go do that. Meanwhile, Cadena and Barda can scout the spaceport. Or, wait, should they go after it gets dark? If we rendezvous just before we intend to attack, then our intel will be up to date and we'll be ready to go immediately. And if anything goes wrong, they'll have backup nearby."

"Sounds good to me," Aleena said, digging for the datapad with the information on the trade goods.

Barda just nodded.

"Very well." Cadena says. "We'll wait here for nightfall. Stay out of trouble and in contact."

"Not that you'd know anything about either of those." Sienna winks, chuckling.

She scrambles off the bunk and grabs her cloak as Aleena gets the repulsor pallet, then they leave The Sleeping Hutt together, searching for a buyer.

Cadena stretches out on the lower bunk and takes a nap, seeing rest in a semi-comfortable bed as a prudent choice if they are to be active tonight. Meanwhile, Barda and Crash keep tabs on Aleena and Sienna.

C1-N8 nestles himself into the space between bunks and powers down to conserve energy, finally feeling secure for the first time in a while.

It starts to get dark while the pair of nightsisters are still trying to sell their wares, and Sienna is about to suggest they head back when they see the Jawas from earlier. The one who seemed mesmerized by Aleena points and calls to his friend, "Utinni!" The two diminutive figures run over in a comical stagger as they weave through foot traffic, "M'um m'aloo Ah-leeee-na! Go mob un loo?"

Sienna looks to Aleena, "Uh, isn't Barda the one who knows Jawaese?"

One of the Jawas facepalms and mutters something under his breath. The other one is still staring at Aleena, but he seems to gather his wits back around him and says, "Eyeta, etee uwanna waa." He pulls out a pouch of credits, holds it up, then hugs the crate and holds the credits back up. "Etee... uwanna... waa."
Sienna turns to Aleena, "I think they want to buy the trade goods."
"I had gathered that." Aleena responds, raising an eyebrow.
Sienna pulls out her comlink and holds it out to the Jawa, "Here, Barda will translate for us."
The Jawa takes it and yells, "ETEE UWANNA WAA! GO MOB UN LOO!" into the mic.
The audio blasts over the comlink causing Cadena to start. She quickly rolls off the bunk and leaps lightly to her feet, ready to fend off any attackers. Barda winces at the sound, but then says, "He says he wants to trade, how much do you want for it?"

After a short negotiation, the Jawas hand over the credits and take the repulsor pallet, grunting as they reach up to the handlebar that's almost above their heads and start pushing the crate down the street. One of them turns and waves, "Ubanya eyeta!"

By now it is dusk, and the nightsisters estimate that it'll be dark by the time they get back.

Ubanya = goodbye eyeta = friend.

Their estimate proves correct, and when they arrive back, Cadena is stretching, limbering up for the fight ahead. Barda has already prepared and is slurping down the last of a bowl of... food? It doesn't really look like food, but what else would she be slurping down? "All ah cou fine." She says through the mouthful, noticing Sienna's odd expression. She gulps the last bit down and explains, "It's some sort of fish broth, looked like the most edible dish in that vending machine."

Cadena passes her hand through the air, leaving a trace of green mist where the portal began to form. "I'm ready."

They check out of the hotel and travel along with the droids to the spaceport, parting ways when they get close.

Cadena and Barda duck into an alleyway and wait for the coast to clear. When it does, they quickly climb a pipe up to the roof, lying flat as they take notice of their surroundings. The walls around each landing bay are very thick and all connect, making a fairly flat surface with frequent pitfalls where the roof opens up to allow ships through. Each port has a few floodlights arrayed around the edge, lighting up the area below and providing effective cover for anyone trying to sneak by unseen. The pair quickly scout around, finding three ports with Imperial ships, all close together. Each Imperial ship is guarded by a small number of Stormtroopers, all of whom seem to be quite alert. They barely managed to avoid detection and were nearly seen a couple times, only spared by quick reflexes. They quickly rejoin the others, and Cadena delivers the report.

"Three ships. One is a Lambda-class, another the larger variant they use for cargo. The third is unknown to me, but it appears built for combat. Each ship is guarded by three to four Stormtroopers. Sneaking up on them will be difficult, but I can make quick work of a team."

Sienna thinks a moment, then says "Cin can slave rig a ship or disable any maglocks, so we should try to take him with us. Getting him over the wall will be difficult though."

Cadena looks at the astromech and smiles, "I think I can manage that." She glances around the alley and spots a canvas sheet. "We will cut that into strips and strap him onto my back. It will not be comfortable, but it will work."

Sienna nods, "Then I suggest we prioritize the combat-capable ship. You take Cin and I'll come with you. Aleena, can you and Barda take Crash with you to take the Lambda shuttle? If you run into trouble, we'll be close by to help."

"Sounds good," Aleena replied.

"Indeed," said Barda.

Over half an hour later, Barda was lying down on top of the spaceport's wall and staring bemusedly down at an out-of-breath and rather frustrated Aleena. Crash had crouched down into a compact shape behind Barda, one designed to avoid standing out like a sore thumb on top of the wall.

Seriously, can she not climb a wall?!?

She tried to reach down and give some help, but Aleena's hand kept slipping out of her grasp.

"Hey, Crash, you don't mind if we use you like a rope, do you?" Aleena whispered up to the folded up droid.

"UH?" Crash sputtered before he remembered to modulate his volume. "W-what??"

"Barda'll hold you over the edge by your legs, and then I'll just have to climb up far enough to reach your hands ... you start pulling me up, then Barda'll pull us both up. Easy-peasy!" came Aleena's answer.

"This will end badly," Crash muttered quietly as he slouched into the the requested position and reached downwards towards Aleena.

Barda held on tightly to Crash's ankles, hoping that this time it would work. Aleena tried one more time, and yet again felt her hands starting to slip from Crash's grasp ... until Crash tightened his grip at the last moment, giving her the necessary brace to start "walking" up the wall. Crash retracted his uppper body, helping Barda as she hauled the two of them up to the top of the wall.

Aleena sprawled on top of the wall, catching her breath.

"I'm not really an Action Sister, unlike you or Cadena," she pointed out to Barda. "So thank you, to both you and Crash!"

Edited by Bellona

Meanwhile, Cadena and her sister have moved a way down, searching for a good place to climb up. Ducking into an alleyway, Sienna straps the astromech to her sister's back. "There, that should hold him." Cadena shrugs and cracks her neck, then twists experimentally a couple times. "Good."

As she looks the wall over, planning a way up, she feels the surge of power rising in her chest again. Smiling grimly, she jumps and springs off the lip of a dumpster, then grabs on to the edge of the roof and pulls herself up, careful not to roll over onto the droid.

She crouches and looks around, spotting a length of flexible pipe that had evidently been discarded after some sort of repair operation.

Down below, Sienna looks up at the wall and grimaces. "How in the depths of Dathomir do you expect me to get up there?"

As if in answer to her question, one end of a piece of flexible pipe flops over the edge, sending a splash of dirty rainwater in Sienna's direction. She stifles a yelp and dodges out of the way, then walks over to the pipe. Tugging on it experimentally, she quickly shimmies up and deposits herself on the roof beside Cadena. "Thanks. Now let's go find that ship."

They move cautiously along the roof, staying low and moving quietly as they navigate around both occupied and vacant ports until they reach their destination. Cadena waves for her sister to drop, and then move up closer on their hands and knees. Sienna pats Cin on his dome and whispers, "Shhh, don't want to alert the big, bad snowdrops, do we?"

The Astromech shakes its head and dims its indicator lights.

At a nod from Cadena, both sisters power up their armor with a soft vmm , barely perceptible even to them, and start sneaking to the edge of the port.

Looking over the edge, they see the stormtroopers standing a way off. Cadena settles in, watching the Stormtroopers, but no sooner has she gotten into position than Sienna whispers "I'm going." and flips over the wall while the troopers back are turned. Cadena instinctive reaches out to grab her, but her younger sister is already over the wall and rushing over to the ship. Cadena stifles a grunt of frustration and prepares to rush to her fool-headed sister's aid should it be necessary.

Sienna reaches the open ramp and scampers up. After a moment, she ducks back and beckons her sister onwards before disappearing again.

Cadena shifts back from the edge and quickly summons her sword. She traces the portal in the air, murmuring quietly, then reaches down and grabs the hilt, drawing it out. The tendrils of mist are still trailing from the blade as she leaps over the edge and rushes to the ship, managing to reach the ramp unnoticed by the stormtroopers.

As Sienna reaches the top of the ramp a voice calls out. TK-320A6, that you?.. What took so long with the caf?

@P-47 Thunderbolt , yet, the repeatedly cloned Stormtrooper from the minion game is still going! :D

Meanwhile, after having watched the stormtrooper guards' routes, Barda dropped carefully down into the "pit" formed by the landing pad. She moved stealthily around the cargo containers and the occasional power droid sleeping on standby, then ghosted up the shuttle's open ramp.

Aleena was momentarily startled by Barda's sudden departure from the top of the wall, but then watched the route which she took. When the timing was right, she followed in Barda's footsteps, moving faster than Barda as she knew that there were no unseen surprises on that particular route. Not knowing what they'd run into on board the shuttle, she quietly unfolded her energy bow and prepared it for action.

Crash was obviously less sanguine about the entire process, and almost bumped into a power droid on standby when he followed Barda and Aleena's path.

"So sorry!" he apologised to the sleeping droid in a whisper, before moving on and reaching the shuttle ramp after the two women.

Sienna's eyes widen in alarm. Almost reflexively, the pulls her hands up and starts gathering the tendrils of magicks used for healing or, in some cases, harming. She lunges around the corner and quickly makes a grasping motion with her hand, reaching for his heart at the same time as she brings her other hand up towards his head. Before he can react, she grits her teeth and wrenches with both hands. He drops to the floor without making sound, unconscious and mortally injured internally.

Cadena rushes up the ramp a few second behind Sienna, who is busy dragging him out of the way. "I'll take care of him, you go plug in the droid." she hisses.

They hear a call from just past the ramp, "Sorry for the delay, I've got the caf. The blasted droid was malfunctioning."

Sienna quickly drags the trooper back out of the way and Cadena follows her, stopping once she's out of sight around the corner.

"It might taste a bit funny, seems a tad... concentrated ." He reaches the top of the ramp and moves towards the corner and Cadena, not seeing her until it's too late. The nightsister steps out and slashes all in one smooth motion, cleaving his head in half and killing him instantly. She frowns at the blood where it's pooling with the spilled caf. That'll start dripping soon and be noticed.

Cin beeps and waggles his legs, gently reminding Cadena that they have places to be. She grunts assent and starts looking around for the bridge. It looks like the forward rooms are a briefing room of sorts and the captain's quarters, so she heads back down the hall, meeting Sienna as leaves the sleeping quarters. "I put him on a bunk, but he won't be waking up anytime soon. Let's plug in Cin so we can get out of here."

They use the turbolift to get up to the bridge and Cadena sets Cin down. "You know what to do. Let's get out of here."

Cin rolls over to a port and plugs in, but warbles frustration after a moment. Sienna moves over to the console and starts poking around, "Here, Cin, let me see what I can do from here."

With Sienna's help, the astromech manages to access the system and overwrite it. Sienna pulls up the navicomputer and hums in excitement, "I just found codes and approach vectors for Vicsil! This'll make things easier."

Cadena pulls out her comlink, "Aleena, Barda, we have acquired the vessel and are ready to depart immediately. What is your timing?"

"Crash, let's get to the cockpit and get this crate off the ground," Aleena told the old droid quietly.

"I'll check the rest of the shuttle, then keep watch just inside the ramp hatch," Barda suggested. "Best if we don't close the hatch until just before we take off, so as not to awaken suspicion. Unless they start approaching the ramp anyway, of course ..."