Shadowed Paths Expansion

By Mythrider, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

25 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

The update is available to download on Steam! I don't have the physical product here quite yet, but I updated and went into the new adventure screen far enough to check what the suggested builds are for each of the new characters :P

Hurry up app store

Anyone that got it tell me how they made it priced 80 dollars . Holy cow.

8 minutes ago, Tyranox said:

Anyone that got it tell me how they made it priced 80 dollars . Holy cow.

It's just as much content as was in the original game.

Well that is good to hear. I get app people need to get paid as well. I just never like using the term expansion when it costs just as much as the base.

2 hours ago, Rebel-Smuggler said:

Hurry up app store

Somebody posted a screenshot from FFG (not sure what platform, but the text mentioned keeping things updated on Twitter) stating that they had a last-minute bug fix pop up in the last couple days. So they're getting it live as fast as possible now, but app stores have to approve it. 😕

Looks like there was a lot of stores across UK that got short changed on stock. I pre-ordered from Zatu and it hasn't shipped and is still is showing on their site as pre-order. Other sites like Element and Chaos cards also never showed it in stock and now still have it listed as pre-order or not available. Everywhere else i look shows sold out. I hope more stock is being shipped this week as this is very disappointing.

19 hours ago, Tyranox said:

Well that is good to hear. I get app people need to get paid as well. I just never like using the term expansion when it costs just as much as the base.

It is smaller than the base, but only slightly. Five heroes (and roles) instead of six, one less mini, no new battle maps, no new weaknesses or basic skill cards, etc. The bigger difference comes in the lack of new items. There's plenty of new weapons, but only a very small handful of new armor and trinket cards.

It still requires the base game to play, because you need a lot of the tokens and items from it. But essentially yeah, it's a very similar amount of content, because it's designed to be enough to fill an entire campaign, just like the core set. But the nice thing is, with app based games like this, some of the new content might show up in older campaigns. Like I doubt you're gonna have a Balrog show up in Bones or Arnor, but there might be some new map tiles or maybe some spiders showing up in older scenarios.

20 minutes ago, Annette Soleil said:

It is smaller than the base, but only slightly. Five heroes (and roles) instead of six, one less mini, no new battle maps, no new weaknesses or basic skill cards, etc. The bigger difference comes in the lack of new items. There's plenty of new weapons, but only a very small handful of new armor and trinket cards.

It still requires the base game to play, because you need a lot of the tokens and items from it. But essentially yeah, it's a very similar amount of content, because it's designed to be enough to fill an entire campaign, just like the core set. But the nice thing is, with app based games like this, some of the new content might show up in older campaigns. Like I doubt you're gonna have a Balrog show up in Bones or Arnor, but there might be some new map tiles or maybe some spiders showing up in older scenarios.

Yeah, some people on Facebook have already posted about spiders showing up in the Ember Crown and stuff like that.

Honestly the biggest reason I'm hyped for this expansion is that everything has exponential growth. The $100 core set had enough pieces to play two unique campaigns, and the $80 expansion not only doubles (nearly) the amount of tiles and characters available, it gives the first two campaigns a boost in replayability *and* supplies needed scene changes for another couple campaigns. Add to that the multiclassing options that are now available even for a 5-player campaign, plus the amount of equipment combinations (two new weapons with dual abilities you can test, plus 2 options for the sword to add an ability at tier 2 instead of waiting for 1 option at tier 3?)... there's insanely more replayability in the game, after this.

Fair warning to everyone who has it delivered by UPS (because I want to hope it didn't look like this when it left Asmodee). The outer brown box was partly broken open when it was delivered and the actual game box is dented and torn on the back. It's not enough of a worry for me as long as everything inside is fine but if it was bad for me it could be worse for someone else :(

https://imgur.com/a/udUhTUu

The interior box is also warped and dented but none of the minis, cards, or other game pieces appear to be damaged.

Update: One of my Goblin minis was broken off his base. That said it was a clean break (feet just came off the base) so I can easily glue him back.

Update 2: All cards, token sheets, and rules are fine. So a damaged box and a damaged mini were what I ultimately wound up with.

Edited by Setukh
more info

Mine arrived via UPS, which was somewhat unexpected. No damage, thankfully. And the tracking info actually updated accurately throughout, so hopefully the lack of tracking updates for Villains of Eriador when I ordered that a couple weeks ago was just a fluke.

You might be able to get a new box if you email FFG customer support? They've switched to replacing missing parts via retailers, but if you got it straight from them...

Mine is shipping UPS as well... eta the 17th. Talk about standard shipping 🤷‍♂️

I've considered it, very well may. Right now I'm just looking for some gorilla glue to fit the Goblin back on his base before I get them all primed to paint

Got mine today also, I think it was USPS, arrived in good shape. Anyway, looks pretty cool. I kind of think that some more imaginative things could be done with the new tiles, but that's a minor quibble. I mean the sky's the limit on what could be on there, but I guess keeping it more generic makes for a wider variety of potential gameplay. Just giving it a cursory glance, it looks like there are cave/underground segments (Moria) and some grassland. I suppose that represents the area either before or after Moria.

1 hour ago, Vince79 said:

Got mine today also, I think it was USPS, arrived in good shape. Anyway, looks pretty cool. I kind of think that some more imaginative things could be done with the new tiles, but that's a minor quibble. I mean the sky's the limit on what could be on there, but I guess keeping it more generic makes for a wider variety of potential gameplay. Just giving it a cursory glance, it looks like there are cave/underground segments (Moria) and some grassland. I suppose that represents the area either before or after Moria.

There are several tiles with built-in difficult ground, so the Mirkwood part of the campaign should be particularly interesting for that reason. I think it makes plenty of sense that the tiles are roughly 50/50 Moria and Mirkwood though. And the elven architecture is neat.

The cover art is so beautiful...

1 hour ago, Henilin said:

Think the Darkness mechanic will be carrying over into the new expansion? /s

15 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

There are several tiles with built-in difficult ground, so the Mirkwood part of the campaign should be particularly interesting for that reason. I think it makes plenty of sense that the tiles are roughly 50/50 Moria and Mirkwood though. And the elven architecture is neat.

Okay, I didn't realize there was a Mirkwood component to this expansion, I was thinking it was about Moria, guess I haven't looked into it that deeply. I just thought "Hey, an expansion, cool" lol. I didn't notice the elven architecture either, when I was glancing through the tiles, I'll have to check that out. That's the kind of creativity I was hoping for when it comes to expansion tiles. I just thought it was mainly generic woods and fields. And caves, of course.

2 hours ago, Henilin said:

It is that.

2 hours ago, Vince79 said:

Okay, I didn't realize there was a Mirkwood component to this expansion, I was thinking it was about Moria, guess I haven't looked into it that deeply. I just thought "Hey, an expansion, cool" lol. I didn't notice the elven architecture either, when I was glancing through the tiles, I'll have to check that out. That's the kind of creativity I was hoping for when it comes to expansion tiles. I just thought it was mainly generic woods and fields. And caves, of course.

Yeah, easy to miss if you're just glancing at the cover art. But that's why there are spider enemies being introduced, too.

Anyone heard anything about where the stock is for UK? I pre-ordered this weeks ago and there wasn't even enough/any stock shipped to fulfil the pre-orders last week. Amazon UK had a few copies going for a day or two but were looking for double RRP.

Basically unavailable in the UK, don't understand what's happening here ... I guess it will be available at some point 🤷‍♂️

I ordered from my FLGS here in the US way back in January, and now I am just patiently waiting. The owner was telling me that they were having some back-order problems, but I'm hoping to have it in my hands either this week or next.

Just got notification from my FLGS in UK that due to severe under allocation of stock from the supplier they will be unable to fulfil my pre-order and have no confirmation on when they might be getting more stock. Have now cancelled the pre-order.

3 hours ago, Kunitzu San said:

Anyone going to watch the livestream today? Will be live at 2pm EST. https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/ffg-live/

Oh dang, forgot about this. Thanks for the post.

2 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

Oh dang, forgot about this. Thanks for the post.

Anybody a link? Thanks