THE MANDALORIAN, in a Civilized Age

By Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun, in Star Wars: Legion

s69bf5rrqf141.jpg

0vg3hnuo5m141.jpg

Episode 4 of The Mandalorian was directed by Bryce Dallas Howard (Claire from Jurassic World).

Her father Ron Howard, has among other accomplishments, directed Solo: A Star Wars Story and won the Oscars for directing and producing A Beautiful Mind .

Her uncle, Clint Howard, won the MTV lifetime achievement award, an honor he gloriously shares with the mighty Chewbacca.

Imagery The Village and The Monster

thanks to u/radikalsweepps

Welp. The fourth episode and the show is still running a 4.0 GPA in my book. My weekly dose of media perfection.

I'm gonna need a "defend the village" scenario and some thatched roof cottage terrain, FFG.

opkyo8tlco141.png

Boo!

6 hours ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

0vg3hnuo5m141.jpg

Episode 4 of The Mandalorian was directed by Bryce Dallas Howard (Claire from Jurassic World).

Her father Ron Howard, has among other accomplishments, directed Solo: A Star Wars Story and won the Oscars for directing and producing A Beautiful Mind .

Her uncle, Clint Howard, won the MTV lifetime achievement award, an honor he gloriously shares with the mighty Chewbacca.

The thing that amazes me the most: is that the quality of writing and directing has been consistently excellent. I had no idea she had directed an episode.

also, the AT-ST looked like an unholy horror in this episode

Edited by joewrightgm

Great homage to both The Seven Samurai and, curiously, Ewoks: The Battle for Endor . Proving you don't have to be repetitive even if you don't make it all from scratch.

There's just so much in this show that I hate the idea of, but love in execution. The battle plan makes no sense if you think about it, but, the scene still worked.

bmveqingwq141.jpg

What’s a nice girl like you doing ... with Bossk’s gun?

25 minutes ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

What’s a nice girl like you doing ... with Bossk’s gun?

I was SO excited that Bossk's gun made such a prominent appearance. Being one of the few Kenner figures we didn't have when I was a kid, Bossk will always be one of the cool kids to me.

Edited by TauntaunScout
10 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

Being one of the few Kenner figures we didn't have when I was a kid, Bossk will always be one of the cool kids to me.

Did you like how we at West End Games made his whole race a bunch of Wookiee hunters?

That was a take on the iconic Mongoose vs King Cobra in our own world.

3 minutes ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

Did you like how we at West End Games made his whole race a bunch of Wookiee hunters?

That was a take on the iconic Mongoose vs King Cobra in our own world.

It always confused me, since Boba Fett was the one with wookie scalps on his costume. I did, however, search high and low for the WEG/Grenadier "Bounty Hunters #2" to finally get a Bossk.

1 minute ago, TauntaunScout said:

It always confused me, since Boba Fett was the one with wookie scalps on his costume. I did, however, search high and low for the WEG/Grenadier "Bounty Hunters #2" to finally get a Bossk.

The Wookiee scalps were Lucasfilm’s way of saying Boba Fett was bad *****$$$, but the word ‘scalps’ made us shy away from that aspect of his story.

Cause history.

kiajgphbqu141.png

19 hours ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

opkyo8tlco141.png

Boo!

Here's what I have to know...

Where are the AT-ST pilots? You could see them in ROTJ, but not here, and why is that?

1 hour ago, Shadowshand said:

Where are the AT-ST pilots? You could see them in ROTJ, but not here, and why is that?

Ya kinda sorta can some of the time. I suspect because of the red lighting inside the cabin they're harder to make out. When I was a kid, back before night vision, the army used red light at night for similar reasons.

2 hours ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

The Wookiee scalps were Lucasfilm’s way of saying Boba Fett was bad *****$$$, but the word ‘scalps’ made us shy away from that aspect of his story.

Cause history.

The Bossk miniature, in many ways, is why I am a gamer. At the age of 7, on a very rare trip to the Pittsburgh mall, I found a comic shop and the WEG boxed sets Imperial Forces and Bounty Hunters . I thought Kenner had come back from the grave and was offering up extra figures for my few, prized, Micro Collection sets. How badly I wanted a Bossk figure for them. Little did I know they were the wrong scale. My mom tried every argument to dissuade me. She pointed out that they weren't painted. No bother, I had done a tolerable job on the 1" scale Jabba's Palace model kit when I was 4, now I was 7 I should do even better. She cited the high cost of $1 per figure. I would gladly pay $1 to add Bossk to my Bespin World lineup. In the end the arguing was irrelevant, I didn't have the princely sum of $10 for a box anyways. She was deaf to my pleas to get the for Christmas. Hope held out, Christmas morning I saw an oblong box that COULD have been miniatures: no, it was pencils. But she apparently did some surreptitious research there in the store and I received Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game for Christmas. I was puzzled by it's nature. They explained that those figures I had wanted were for a game: THIS game. It made no sense to my 7 year old brain. My older brother figured it out though, and I am entirely unsure what my life could have been like without gaming, and, eventually on that tangent, reenacting. Most of my applicable life skills were first learned through those hobbies. The miniatures would have to wait a few more years, and that's another story.

Man, I have seen the Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven storyline done so many times and I still love it each and every time. Its just such a good, classic set up. So who is shipping Mando and Farm-mom? Cause I sure am.

Edited by devin.pike.1989
3 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

I was SO excited that Bossk's gun made such a prominent appearance. Being one of the few Kenner figures we didn't have when I was a kid, Bossk will always be one of the cool kids to me.

And.. here’s the thing, for the longest time that has been called a “grenade launcher”. Even Legion has it as such, but it didn't see any grenades.

1 hour ago, Shadowshand said:

It may have been the angle, often it was shot from a worms eye view, so that could affect not seeing them. Also, as it was operating at night, the pilots could have been operating from view screens with sensors.

21 minutes ago, devin.pike.1989 said:

So who is shipping Mando and Farm-mom? Cause I sure am.

All my shipping is for Finn and Poe.

3 hours ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

*Big Sip* so... y’all finished?

I loved the background we get about mandalorian religion/culture in this episode. I get the feeling that this strict religious practice may be related to the fact that the mandalorian people are seemingly in diaspora and desperately clinging to their cultural identity. Mandalorians are living in "coverts" that seem to be almost like ghettos.

I feel like this show is really making the "Jango and Boba are not Mandalorian" statement make sense. Regardless of ethnicity, they clearly do not follow "The Way". This also validates the choice to not have this show be about Boba. Everyone was complaining that Disney just wanted to sell more toys by creating a carbon copy of Boba for this show, but the Mando is clearly a very different character than Boba. Boba is a coldhearted and profit-seeking hunter of men and Mando is a devout gunfighter that defends widows and orphans. A show about Boba Fett could be great in its own way, but it would be a much darker show. Like Breaking Bad mixed with Boondock Saints.

Aah! This show is just so good! I can't stop talking about it and my wife is getting tired of me gushing over it and analyzing themes.

1 hour ago, devin.pike.1989 said:

I feel like this show is really making the "Jango and Boba are not Mandalorian" statement make sense.

That's like saying that all the people that are of 'Insert Religion' are supposed to all be the same.

1 hour ago, devin.pike.1989 said:

Regardless of ethnicity, they clearly do not follow "The Way".

"The Way" did not come into being until after "The Great Purge".

Boba and the Mando had very different lives, and so they came out differently. Just saying.

9 minutes ago, ArcticJedi said:

That's like saying that all the people that are of 'Insert Religion' are supposed to all be the same.

Not really, I am just pointing out that there is a strong cultural/religious mandalorian identity that seems to supersede any sort of national or ethnic mandalorian identity.

10 minutes ago, ArcticJedi said:

I don't know for sure if that is true. In rebels, Sabine and Bo Katan make a reference to "our way" when Sabine wants to torture Gar Saxon. I get a feeling that The Way existed long before and that the purge and subsequent diaspora, people returned to the the way or were able to maintain community by following the way.

14 minutes ago, ArcticJedi said:

Boba and the Mando had very different lives, and so they came out differently. Just saying.

That is the point I was making. Boba's story is not the one the writers were trying to tell. Mando is his own character.

58 minutes ago, ArcticJedi said:

I'm pretty sure "The Way" is practiced by an exile sect of Fundamentalist Death Watch adherents and seeing as how out protagonist was adopted by them during the clone wars he has no idea that all of the other Mandalorians can do fun stuff like take their helmets off and not live in some dour toxic warrior caste cult.

I'm guessing his arc for this season or perhaps the next will be realizing that he doesn't have to live behind the armor.

(My evidence for this is that Dave Filoni wrote most of the existing canon history of the Mandalorians and I don't think he would agree to throw it all away. I also don't think Disney would take a mulligan on everything they put out regarding Mandalore in seasons 3 and 4 of Rebels.)

Edited by Zrob314