PBP Alt Univ: Clone Wars: OOC

By EliasWindrider, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game

Just now, MrTInce said:

Did Ventress lose her defense bonuses or was that something else?

Ventress didn't lose her defensive bonuses. I forgot to include a few modifiers in Camouflage's roll, so long story short that changed matters.

Okay so three upgrades if I remember correctly?

Just now, MrTInce said:

Okay so three upgrades if I remember correctly?

Adversary 4 and 4 Defense.

So with an Average difficulty check for Brawl, you're looking at 3eC+4eS.

So this didn't go well:

The Duchess attacking : 1eP+2eA+1eB+3eC+4eS 0 successes, 2 threat, 1 Despair
p-s.png a-a.png a--.png b-a.png c-th.png c-d.png c-th.png s--.png s-th.png s--.png s-th.png

If this is the end of The Duchess then so be it.

With the 2 Threat, it'll add a Second Boost to Ventress's next check.

With the Despair, Ventress triggers Improved Parry, including the Critical Counter upgrade, so the Duchess takes 9 wounds and a Critical Injury: Critical Injury : 1d100 28 28 = Discouraging Wound: Flip one Light Side Destiny Point to a Dark Side Destiny Point.

12 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Adversary 4 and 4 Defense.

So with an Average difficulty check for Brawl, you're looking at 3eC+4eS.

It's Adversary 3 , Melee Defence 4 , and Ranged Defence 3 (unless things have changed somehow).

Edited by Bellona

Round 4

Mireska will use PC slot 2.

(I know that I said previously that she would wait until the end of Round 4 so as to get the most out of her Peerless Interception, but I don't think that she'd want to face Ventress without a lightsabre in her hand.)

Incidental: Activate Supreme Centre of Being 3, at the cost of 1 Strain.

Action: Heal power and its upgrades on herself and anyone else that she can reach if the Force allows it ...

Heal power + upgrades on 'self (and others?), while Disoriented : 4eF+4eP+3eD+1eS 2 advantage, 1 Triumph, 1 Light Side, 3 Dark Side
f-ds.png f-ls.png f-ds.png f-ds.png p-a-a.png p-tr.png p-s-a.png p-s-a.png d-th.png d-f-f.png d-th.png s-f.png

... Well, that was a big flop with regard to healing others. :(

1 LS pip used to Heal herself, removing 8 Wounds and 8 Strain (basic Heal, Control: Medicine upgrade, Control: Strain upgrade).

Manoeuvre: Move to Engaged range of her lightsabre.

Incidental: Use magnetic weapon tether to bring the lightsabre back into her hand.

Incidental: Re-activate her lightsabre.

Mireska is now at 3/17 WT, 0/17 ST , and no longer Disoriented. She has used 4/5 of her own daily stimpack/Heal limit.

Furthermore, the next two attacks against Mireska both have their difficulty upgraded twice (Sense power and its defensive upgrades) and all attacks against Mireska have their critical rating increased by 3 (Supreme Centre of Being 3). She also has Circle of Shelter to help protect anyone if they are within Engaged range of her, and Guardian of the Republic . Mireska's Peerless Interception is no longer active (although she still has her normal Parry/Reflect and the Improved versions).

@P-47 Thunderbolt :

Is Mireska still at Medium range from Ventress after she retrieved her lightsabre?

Also, Ventress should be at 11/20 ST now after having moved (even if she used the Force to do), due to Ker'see's Crippling Blow at the start of the encounter.

Edited by Bellona

The Crippling Blow talent: "... the target suffers 1 Strain whenever he moves for the remainder of the encounter." (FaD p. 141)

Question 1: Does the effect stack if the recipient is hit again by the same or another shooter?

Question 2: Does the effect occur if the recipient is then moved against his will, such as by the Move power or the Draw Closer talent?

(If "yes" to Q2, then Ventress should have +2 Strain because Mireska used Draw Closer on her twice.)

Question 3: What about if the recipient uses a vehicle/riding beast to move? Does that apply +1 Strain too?

8 hours ago, Bellona said:

It's Adversary 3 , Melee Defence 4 , and Ranged Defence 3 (unless things have changed somehow).

Oh, oops. I've been treating it as Adversary 4, 4/4 for the whole encounter (as far as I can recall <_< ). Guess there were a few extraneous upgrades and Setback on some of the clones' rolls. Oh well.

8 hours ago, Bellona said:

Is Mireska still at Medium range from Ventress after she retrieved her lightsabre?

Also, Ventress should be at 11/20 ST now after having moved (even if she used the Force to do), due to Ker'see's Crippling Blow at the start of the encounter.

Yes, and okay.

6 hours ago, Bellona said:

The Crippling Blow talent: "... the target suffers 1 Strain whenever he moves for the remainder of the encounter."

7 hours ago, Bellona said:

Question 1: Does the effect stack if the recipient is hit again by the same or another shooter?

Not clear, but I would rule no. It makes no mention of this, and simply says "suffers 1 strain" not "1 strain per" or any other conditional.

6 hours ago, Bellona said:

Question 2: Does the effect occur if the recipient is then moved against his will, such as by the Move power or the Draw Closer talent?

No.

7 hours ago, Bellona said:

Question 3: What about if the recipient uses a vehicle/riding beast to move? Does that apply +1 Strain too?

No.

I'm pretty sure that the intent of the rule is that the target suffers 1 Strain when they use a move maneuver. I'm extending that to Force leap or any other appropriate circumstances that come up, but jetpacks, vehicles, being move against her will, etc. would not apply. Basic understanding is that the character must be moving under their own locomotion.
It's also important to note that the description says "when he moves" which would suggest that the target is acting, rather than being acted upon. Rather than "he is moved" which would suggest a force acting upon him.
So unless you've got any counter arguments, that's how I'll be ruling it.

@SuperWookie , you're up.

There isn't really anything Camo can do at this stage.

Move : 2eF 1 Light Side, 1 Dark Side
f-ls.png f-ds.png

Grabbing Ker'see's lightsaber with the Light Side result.

Just now, SuperWookie said:

Move : 2eF 1 Light Side, 1 Dark Side
f-ls.png f-ds.png

Grabbing Ker'see's lightsaber with the Light Side result.

I'm fine with you handing it directly to Ker'see, if you'd prefer.

54 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I'm pretty sure that the intent of the rule is that the target suffers 1 Strain when they use a move maneuver. I'm extending that to Force leap or any other appropriate circumstances that come up, but jetpacks, vehicles, being move against her will, etc. would not apply. Basic understanding is that the character must be moving under their own locomotion.
It's also important to note that the description says "when he moves" which would suggest that the target is acting, rather than being acted upon. Rather than "he is moved" which would suggest a force acting upon him.
So unless you've got any counter arguments, that's how I'll be ruling it.

That's pretty much what I expected, but wanted confirmation on to be certain.

(I agree on the Force Leap; indeed was doing so during the Jango Fett ambush encounter.)

As for counter-arguments, the only thing that comes to mind is that riding a horse can require a more active use of the legs than some might think (maybe more so with an English saddle, with which I'm more familiar than the Western saddle), so riding beasts might be an exception. Possibly also speeder bikes which also require using legs/feet to operate them. But it's no skin off my nose either way.

1 minute ago, Bellona said:

As for counter-arguments, the only thing that comes to mind is that riding a horse can require a more active use of the legs than some might think (maybe more so with an English saddle, with which I'm more familiar than the Western saddle), so riding beasts might be an exception. Possibly also speeder bikes which also require using legs/feet to operate them. But it's no skin off my nose either way.

I'd still rule against it, the amount of movement and intensity of movement isn't there. If we were going by that metric, then many actions would also require that sort of motion, such as footwork when dueling.

Having to run on an injured leg is much more painful than just moving that injured leg or using the foot to manipulate something like pedals on a speeder bike.

We're part-way through Round 4 (with actions already taken by Ker'see, Mireska, and Chee'Okee).

On 1/25/2021 at 6:55 PM, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Initiative order:

• Chee'Okee 4s2a1T
  • Mireska 8s4a
  • Ker'see 7s1a
  • Asajj Ventress 6s4a
  • Camouflage 4s3a
  • Varactyl Squad 3s3a
  • Poe 3s2a
  • Clone minion group (4)5w 2s1a

I believe that it's Ventress' turn now.

33 minutes ago, Bellona said:

We're part-way through Round 4 (with actions already taken by Ker'see, Mireska, and Chee'Okee).

I believe that it's Ventress' turn now.

Yes, sorry for the delay, I got distracted and then forgot. I'd have gotten to it about now anyway, but thank you for the reminder.

Action: Draw Closer against Sergeant Poe: Poor Poe... : 5eP+3eB+1eC+1eD+5eF 4 successes, 5 advantage, 5 Light Side, 2 Dark Side
p-s-s.png p-a-a.png p-a-a.png p-a-a.png p-a.png b-s.png b-s-a.png b--.png c-th-th.png d-th.png f-ds.png f-ds.png f-ls.png f-ls-ls.png f-ls-ls.png

DS pip draws him to engaged, uses the other for +1 Success totaling 5 Success for 14 damage.

Using the Advantage for a Crit+50: Critical Injury : 1d100 25 75 = Hamstrung: Target loses his free Maneuver until the end of the encounter.

Maneuver: Force Jump : 5eF 6 Dark Side
f-ds.png f-ds.png f-ds-ds.png f-ds.png f-ds.png
That's dark, man.
Easily leaps out the hangar onto a passing Vulture droid.

My intention is to allow maybe one or two follow-up IC posts, then move directly to the Discord. We're up against a wall here, and don't really have time for anything else.

1 hour ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

My intention is to allow maybe one or two follow-up IC posts, then move directly to the Discord. We're up against a wall here, and don't really have time for anything else.

Sounds fair.

Deadline for posting IC is midnight on the 29th. After that point, I'll shift things to the Discord.

If we finish up IC before then, I'll shift things to the Discord earlier.

4 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Deadline for posting IC is midnight on the 29th. After that point, I'll shift things to the Discord.

If we finish up IC before then, I'll shift things to the Discord earlier.

Midnight E.S.T.?

Just now, Bellona said:

Midnight E.S.T.?

Uh, yeah. Timezones. :D

It's not especially strict though, I just meant it to clarify that the 29th is the last day to post, rather than the day we move to Discord (which I suppose would have been easier to say, but my befuddled brain was blanking).

1 hour ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Are we out of structured time?

If "yes", then Mireska will dash over to Poe and try to Heal him.

1 minute ago, Bellona said:

Are we out of structured time?

If "yes", then Mireska will dash over to Poe and try to Heal him.

Yes, we're out of structured time. I have a little bit more planned for Jorin ( 😈 ), but those in the hangar are fine.

Something I just came across lending further credibility to not treating minion groups as a single target:
Multiple Opponents:

...when engaged with multiple opponents. This includes single groups of multiple minions.

Mireska will un-commit that one Force die, then dash over to Poe.

Heal power + upgrades on Sgt Poe : 5eF+4eP+3eD 4 Light Side, 3 Dark Side
f-ls.png f-ls.png f-ls-ls.png f-ds-ds.png f-ds.png p-s.png p-s-a.png p-a-a.png p--.png d-f.png d-th-th.png d-f-th.png

No Medicine skill Success* to use the Heal power upgrade to remove the Critical Injury. :( (I'll try again afterwards with a mundane Medicine check.)

1 LS pip used to activate the basic Heal (4 + 4 = 8), 3 LS pips used to activate the Strength upgrades (3x 2 = 6) ...

14 Wounds removed from Poe (and 14 Strain if he has that stat).

Then she whips out her physician's kit and tries to treat Sgt Poe's Critical Injury in a mundane fashion.

Medicine w. Phys. Kit vs. Poe's CI : 4eP+1eB+2eD 4 successes, 1 advantage, 2 Triumph
p-a-a.png p-tr.png p-tr.png p-s-a.png b-s-a.png d-th.png d-th-th.png

Final Result (+1 Advantage from Physician's Kit): 4 Successes, 2 Advantages, 2 Triumphs .

Hamstrung CI removed from Poe, 2 Wounds removed (and 2 Strain).

@P-47 Thunderbolt :

Does Sgt Poe require any further medical attention than the above?

If not, then he's fit as a fiddle physically-speaking, but probably shaken by his close encounter with Ventress ... or could that second Triumph indicate that he bounced back mentally too?

* The failed skill check portion of the Force power dice pool triggers Mireska's Will of the Force talent (convert 1 destiny token from DS to LS). @P-47 Thunderbolt Destiny pool is now: LS 4 vs. DS 5 .

Edited by Bellona