PBP Alt Univ: Clone Wars: Misc

By EliasWindrider, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game

10 hours ago, Bellona said:

More a comment than a complaint: I find it really odd that the basic CT minions don't get group skills in either Gunnery or Ranged (Light).

And the clone sergeant (rival) and clone captain (nemesis) don't get Gunnery either.

... On the other hand, it might explain why the clones missed OWK on Utapau in RotS.

Gunnery is an unusual combat skill, so that one makes sense to me, but I agree with you on the ranged light... if no one objects we could add ranged light to the group skills of standard clone trooper minions.

1 hour ago, EliasWindrider said:

Gunnery is an unusual combat skill, so that one makes sense to me, but I agree with you on the ranged light... if no one objects we could add ranged light to the group skills of standard clone trooper minions.

I certainly wouldn't object to the addition of Ranged (Light). It makes sense, as standard CTs carry grenades. (Although this could make life potentially more difficult for Jedi when Order 66 comes down - assuming that the Sith plot develops in same way.)

It would also make it unlikely that standard CTs use grenade launchers as those require the Gunnery skill.

Another clarification request, this one based on the Force Leap action/manoeuvre: can one Force Leap directly into Engaged range of an enemy? What about Force Leaping away from an Engaged enemy?

RAW: Force leaps allows the user to jump "to any location within Short range" (FaD p. 289).

RAW: when discussing the five range bands (personal scale), Engaged is explained as being a sub-category of Short. However, in normal, non-Force-enhanced combat, "spending a maneuver to move to engage someone or something is as much a matter of moving into combat cautiously enough to avoid receiving a blow unnecessarily as it is about moving a physical distance" (FaD p. 215, also covered under the Move manoeuvre, FaD p. 209). Disengaging from a foe "represents the effort of backing away and avoiding his opponent's attacks" (FaD p. 209).

Although one could argue for the benefits of Force-enhanced speed in this situation, there was still a bit of discussion about this on the forums (sorry, I don't have the links anymore). It seemed that there was no definitive answer (i.e., that it was more a matter of different GM/group interpretations).

How should we handle it in this campaign?

17 hours ago, Bellona said:

Another clarification request, this one based on the Force Leap action/manoeuvre: can one Force Leap directly into Engaged range of an enemy? What about Force Leaping away from an Engaged enemy?

RAW: Force leaps allows the user to jump "to any location within Short range" (FaD p. 289).

RAW: when discussing the five range bands (personal scale), Engaged is explained as being a sub-category of Short. However, in normal, non-Force-enhanced combat, "spending a maneuver to move to engage someone or something is as much a matter of moving into combat cautiously enough to avoid receiving a blow unnecessarily as it is about moving a physical distance" (FaD p. 215, also covered under the Move manoeuvre, FaD p. 209). Disengaging from a foe "represents the effort of backing away and avoiding his opponent's attacks" (FaD p. 209).

Although one could argue for the benefits of Force-enhanced speed in this situation, there was still a bit of discussion about this on the forums (sorry, I don't have the links anymore). It seemed that there was no definitive answer (i.e., that it was more a matter of different GM/group interpretations).

How should we handle it in this campaign?

I'll allow jumping into and out of engaged.

Btw @Bellona @MrTInce @ShockHelix get 5xp.

I know that it's the holiday season and that everyone is distracted by RL family, travel, etc., but ... do we get XP for last week's posts? :)

On 12/26/2019 at 1:10 PM, Bellona said:

I know that it's the holiday season and that everyone is distracted by RL family, travel, etc., but ... do we get XP for last week's posts? :)

Last weeks yes. Not this weeks.

On 1/3/2020 at 9:14 AM, EliasWindrider said:

Last weeks yes. Not this weeks.

That would mean Bellona was the only one who got 5 xp for the week of Dec 23->Dec 29 (inclussive). However, because it was Christmas... everyone got 5 xp for that week.

2 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

That would mean Bellona was the only one who got 5 xp for the week of Dec 23->Dec 29 (inclussive). However, because it was Christmas... everyone got 5 xp for that week.

Just to certain that I understood you correctly: we all get 5 XP for the week of 16-22 December, we all get 5 XP for the week of 23-29 December, and nothing for the week of 30 December-5 January?

(Not a complaint at all, just requesting clarification for my XP accounting!)

I've been wondering about the differences between the AoR GM Kit and the RotSep versions of squad(ron) rules, and was lucky enough to catch KRKappel in the thread linked above.

Based on those differences and the various replies given, which version are we using for this campaign: AoR GM Kit, RotSep, or a combination of both? (And if it's a combination, then precisely which elements are being used?)

The main reason why I'm asking is the difference between the "automatic death" result (AoR version) and the "possibly just incapacitated" result (RotSep version). (Seeing as how defeating members of normal minion groups does not automatically mean their death, but can instead just represent their incapacitation for that combat.)

Basically, I don't want to get into the habit of saying "Gah, there goes What'shisname!" every time a minion drops, particularly when there is a competent healer in the group who could revive an incapacitated minion after a combat.

22 hours ago, Bellona said:

Just to certain that I understood you correctly: we all get 5 XP for the week of 16-22 December, we all get 5 XP for the week of 23-29 December, and nothing for the week of 30 December-5 January?

(Not a complaint at all, just requesting clarification for my XP accounting!)

I believe that is correct, I'd have to go back and check who posted the week of dec 16->22

21 hours ago, Bellona said:

I've been wondering about the differences between the AoR GM Kit and the RotSep versions of squad(ron) rules, and was lucky enough to catch KRKappel in the thread linked above.

Based on those differences and the various replies given, which version are we using for this campaign: AoR GM Kit, RotSep, or a combination of both? (And if it's a combination, then precisely which elements are being used?)

The main reason why I'm asking is the difference between the "automatic death" result (AoR version) and the "possibly just incapacitated" result (RotSep version). (Seeing as how defeating members of normal minion groups does not automatically mean their death, but can instead just represent their incapacitation for that combat.)

Basically, I don't want to get into the habit of saying "Gah, there goes What'shisname!" every time a minion drops, particularly when there is a competent healer in the group who could revive an incapacitated minion after a combat.

We are using automatic death, although this works for you if you and your squad gets hit by a grenade (one of your men throws themselves on it rather than everyone talking damage)

@EliasWindrider

I've updated Mireska's character sheets on MediaFire. Her WT is now 17.

@EliasWindrider

Do our XP-hungry PCs get fed this week? :)

@EliasWindrider

I have spent 15 and 10 XP on second Strength upgrades for both the Heal and Protect powers, plus 5 XP for the Healing Trance* talent (House Rules version as per page 6 of this thread) on the Healer tree. The updated character sheet has just been posted to the MediaFire link.

* In retrospect, this talent must have been how Mireska made it through med school/residency while also training as a Healer at the Temple. Feeling completely refreshed after just four hours of meditative trance must have been handy!

@Bellona @MrTInce got 5 xp yesterday

@EliasWindrider

I've spent some more XP: 2 ranks of Resolve from the Doctor tree.

The updated character sheets (long version includes specialization and Force power trees) are now updated on the MediaFire link.

One comment: the CTs currently do not have identical gear, due to various grenades/explosives being used. I've been keeping track of that on paper myself, but if you want I can track it on my "Character" post at the start of the OOC thread.

On 2/12/2020 at 7:57 AM, Bellona said:

@EliasWindrider

I've spent some more XP: 2 ranks of Resolve from the Doctor tree.

The updated character sheets (long version includes specialization and Force power trees) are now updated on the MediaFire link.

One comment: the CTs currently do not have identical gear, due to various grenades/explosives being used. I've been keeping track of that on paper myself, but if you want I can track it on my "Character" post at the start of the OOC thread.

As long as you are accurately tracking it that's all that matters. RPGs should be based on trust of other people around the proverbial table, and if someone doesn't trust their gaming group they should change groups.

@Bellona what would you think of a slight (1 talent) modification to the cwaltu padawan tree... dropping valuable facts and adding beginners luck (talent previously dropped for improved secrets of the jedi) in its place so that valuable facts could be moved to a jedi librarian spec which adds improved and supreme versions of valuable facts as suggested by @Decorus when I suggested a jedi librarian spec to round out the jedi career

Anyway here are the proposed padawan, librarian, and also one more "ronin" to round out the jedi career to a full 6 specs?

Padawan

Career skills: coordination, knowledge(education), mechanics, vigilance

Parry Toughened quick draw grit

| |

Toughened ---- reflect ---- well rounded ---- secrets of the jedi

| | |

Parry ---- Learning opportunity sincerest flattery ---- Force rating

| |

Reflect ---- grit something to prove --- adaptable

| | |

Improved secrets of the jedi --- temple training --- Beginner's luck. ---- dedication

Librarian

career skills: computers, knowledge(education), knowledge(lore), medicine

(Medicine is up for debate)

*No* FR prerequisite

Grit Respected scholar Secret lore Well Read

| | |

Supreme valuable facts Researcher --- valuable facts --- Secret Lore

| | |

improved valuable facts --- If it's not in the library --- Fact check As the force wills it

| |

Mental Fortress --- Stroke of Genius Force Rating ---- Knowledge is power

| | |

Dedication --- anatomy lessons Transmogrify -‐- Forbidden knowledge

Fact check: can oppose deception checks made against the character with knowledge lore instead of discipline, a different knowledge skill can be used at the discretion of the game master on a case by case basis.

Improved valuable facts you may use Valuable Facts on your next check.

Supreme valuable facts once per session you may use Valuable Facts as a Maneuver

If it's not in the library: flip a destiny point to remove despair from a knowledge check.

Forbidden knowledge: (conflict force talent) once per session the character may use darkside force pips without flipping a destiny point or taking strain. They still take conflict for spending darkside pips as normal.

My concept for a "Ronin" is a sort of rogue jedi... a quasi outsider before order 66 (maybe kind of sentinelish) like how quigon was an outsider, or a fully trained jedi on the run after order 66... not exactly a "grey" jedi but certainly not a poster boy for the order. A ronin is also a fully trained ex-samurai.... and samurai and blademaster are almost synonymous but I wanted it to be almost formless and but focused on ferocity, the running slash stereotype, the quick blade draw stereotype (which was hard because quick draw was already in padawan), and the mind games/defeat the enemy with a stare that makes them choke. A lot of that concept evolved through discussion with other forum members. The tree layout allows you to skip the untrusted outsider talents if so desired... so it can be used as a more conventional samurai/blademaster.

Ronin

Career skills: coercion, deception, lightsaber, vigilance

Prerequisite: force rating 2

Constant Vigilance Reflect Parry Toughened

| |

Always Ready ---- Parry ----- Grit ----- push aside

| | |

Trust No One ---- Renegade Form ----- Grit ----- momentum

| |

Trusted by No One blade of the heart Reflect ----- Force Rating

| | |

Feared by All ----- Coercion Dodge - natural blademaster ---- Dedication

Always ready: (force talent) when targeted for an attack, the character may draw and ignite an available lightsaber as an out of turn incidental, qualifying the use of talents such as parry, reflect, and combat training. An asleep character may still use this talent, it wakes them up.

Trusted by no one: upgrade the difficulty of all charm, deception, and negotiation checks made by the character once, in addition to the normal effects of despair add an number of triumphs equal to the number of despair rolled to the next initiative check made by the character in the same session. This talent does not stack with itself.

Feared by all: the character can oppose fear and coercion checks with coercion instead of discipline or cool. In addition if the opponent fails the check with despair or the character succeeds on the check with triumph, the attempt backfires and the opponent targeting the character suffers the coercion or fear effect instead.

Coercion dodge: conflict force talent (coordination dodge but with coercion instead of coordination, flavored as a look from the character causes the attacker to hesitate and falter momentarily, giving the character the opportunity to evade the attack)

Blade of the heart (force talent): take the blade of the heart action, make a lightsaber combat check against an engaged target. Add force die up to force rating, spend forcepip to add success or advantage (character's choice).

Edited by EliasWindrider

@EliasWindrider

I'll certainly take an in-depth look at them and provide feedback - but that will likely take about a week due to RL demanding its fair share of attention. :)

Edited by Bellona
1 hour ago, Bellona said:

@EliasWindrider

I'll certainly take an in-depth look at them and provide feedback - but that will likely take about a week due to RL demanding its fair share of attention. :)

@AnomalousAuthor @MrTInce @ShockHelix

While feedback on Librarian and Ronin would be welcome, the immediate question was about dropping valuable facts from padawan to restore beginner's luck to padawan (in the place of valuable facts)

16 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

@AnomalousAuthor @MrTInce @ShockHelix

While feedback on Librarian and Ronin would be welcome, the immediate question was about dropping valuable facts from padawan to restore beginner's luck to padawan (in the place of valuable facts)

I have no objections either way about the location/re-introduction of Beginner's Luck.

However, since it relies upon LS Destiny Points, I'd suggest that it be restricted to non-DS users only (i.e., only Force sensitives who have a Morality of 30+ may use Beginner's Luck). It makes no sense for a darksider to reap the benefits of a Destiny Pool full of LS points. Additionally, moving it "lower" in the tree and so close to the FR +1 talent makes Beginner's Luck tempting "low-hanging fruit" for darkside-leaning munchkins, so closing that loophole becomes even more important.

Any chance of getting the Sense Danger talent back onto the tree somewhere? :)