KeyForge GEM Troubleshooting Discussion

By OfficialRules, in KeyForge

3 hours ago, Hinomura said:

Played in my first Chainbound event today, a nine player event. In the fourth round, the sole undefeated player was paired down, but rather than play either of the two 2-1'players he hadn't already faced, he was drawn down against a player on 1-2.

Is this a conscious choice by the GEM team? Shouldn't Swiss events pair top down, rather than bottom up? It feels like it cheapens the event somewhat to have it the other way around.

You are making assumptions. I would have to know a lot more about the entire event to describe the reasons behind that pairing. Typically, especially in an event this small, there is more going on than the single match of interest. Perhaps you should ask your retailer to send in a support request with the complete final backup if the retailer is unsure.

Jeff Brower   
GEM Client Lead

I'm not sure what extra information you need, Jeff. In the last round of a four-round Swiss tournament, there was a single player on 3-0. There were two players on 2-1 that he hadn't faced. Instead of being paired with either of those players, he was paired down against a 1-2 (there were other players on 2-1 that he had already faced).

It wasn't a particularly big deal, and it didn't ruin the event for us or anything (although the player in question actually lost to the 1-2 and as a result did not finish in first), so this was more a curiousity post than a complaint.

Swiss Rounds (p7 Tournament Regulations):
To determine pairings, take the group of players with the most tournament points and pair them at random. If there is an odd number of players in that group, pair the remaining player with a random player from the group with the next most tournament points. Then, pair all remaining players in the second group at random. Continue this until all players are paired.

@Hinomura The problem here is after 3 rounds you will have 3 players with 2-1 results, and it is also possible that you have each of those players losing to the 3-0 player in rounds 1,2 and 3 because of the random draw with players on the same amount of tournament points. As a player are you certain this strange series of events didn't take place so that a player on 1-2 was the only player not yet played?

Mind you I recall seeing some similar complaints from a facebook group I belong to where two players on 3-0 didn't play each other and played against 2-1 opponents instead. As such if they sent their log-file in they should be looking into the way the app pairs players and ensure it is in line with what we understand to be the rules.

Mind you I think that players should be ranked in SOS order within each group, so that the lowest seed plays against the highest seed in the lower group where you have odd numbers. Mainly because when you cut to a top 4/8/16 there is often players eliminated on SOS so randomly playing down can affect your result in a negative manner. I think too, if you make the GEM software as system agnostic as you can you'll get more value out of the time and effort in making GEM as many more events can be run via the GEM software.

I was on 2-1, as was my opponent. Neither of us had played the 3-0 player.

I should also say - thank you for taking the time to post both the relevant Swiss instructions and break down possible wonky interactions. Very much appreciated. That it's not what occurred here doesn't change the fact that was a cool thing to do.

Hello,

I am assisting my local store run Keyforge events, we have run several casual events successfully, but cannot determine how we earn the allotments to run chainbound. We have pre-ordered the season 1 promo kits for running tournaments etc... but how do we go about earning allotments?

21 hours ago, Hinomura said:

I'm not sure what extra information you need, Jeff. In the last round of a four-round Swiss tournament, there was a single player on 3-0. There were two players on 2-1 that he hadn't faced. Instead of being paired with either of those players, he was paired down against a 1-2 (there were other players on 2-1 that he had already faced).

It wasn't a particularly big deal, and it didn't ruin the event for us or anything (although the player in question actually lost to the 1-2 and as a result did not finish in first), so this was more a curiousity post than a complaint.

I had to do a fair number of these manually for other games (chess, bridge, Magic), so I know that when you are just over a power of 2 (as this was), there can be some very weird things happening in the last round. So (if I remember) I will try when I get the chance to construct a situation where this has to happen.

My first instinct is that with the 3-0 player having already faced at least one 2-1 player, the only way I would have not put them against another 2-1 is if it made pairing one of the lower players absolutely impossible if I were to do so. That's what I would look to create with a set of 9 index cards and a very sharp pencil with a good eraser.

Hi there, have you had any response regarding Chainbound allocations yet ? I have been waiting over two weeks to get mine allocated and am getting rather fustrated as I have players wanting to take part and I cannot run anything. No replies from anyone here or by email. So just wondering if you had any luck yet

Now I get this stupid message:

The URL address you entered is invalid. Please make sure the URL contains all the necessary parameters.

SIGN OUT OF ASMODEE.NET

When are we going to get a REAL App for store owners for the phone too??

You have a good product but now this OUT OF STOCK bussiness AND this app thing is making all My players leave to play other games, like Magic... so fix this and do it fast or else you will have another Dead game again! (at least at my shop).

Edited by ChezGeeks

I ran a casual event and I can't figure out how to end it. It's just sitting there after the last round with no way to get out of it.

On 2/8/2019 at 7:41 AM, rf6971 said:

When I go to the website to download GEM, I get this message:

Your Asmodee.net account is not connected to any Specialty Retailer accounts. To connect it, you need a sign-up link. If you are a specialty retailer and did not receive a personalized sign-up link via email, contact [email protected] to request one.

What now? I emailed and got no answers.

Could we get some help on this issue. My store is having the same problem. Thanks.

Jeff, could we please get some answers for stores having issues getting set up and getting allocations. There are several posts here now with these issues. The game is dying quickly at my store b/c the store did not r/c the initial info for setup. They have contacted [email protected] with no response. They have contacted FFG Organized Play with no response. Their Asomdee and Alliance reps seem lost on the issue. Please, is there a contact to help stores get this set up?

I'm the Events Coordinator for Red Castle Games in Portland, OR. KeyForge is proving very popular at my store so I'm now hosting 2 KeyForge events per week. Normally I've been running chainbound on Thursday nights. However, I'm switching my chainbound day over to Sundays starting 3/3/19. My problem:

GEM won't allot me a chainbound event for 3/3/19 because it thinks I've used up my 1 event for the week. I would rather not have to wait until 3/10/19 to switch from Thursdays to Sundays. Can you allot my account 1 event for 3/3 so I can make the switch this week? Please PM to discuss this issue and I can give you my cell number.

Thank you,

Matt

I'm hoping you someone can help me here. We ran our third KeyForge ChainBound event here Saturday night and had an issue with our computer that has our webcam installed in it. The computer complete bricked and is beyond repair so we couldn't run the event through GEM because the program still doesn't allow manual input of players. In the interest of time we opted for another system to get the event run so players could play. So I took pictures of everyone's codes and planned to pull it up on my personal computer at home to run everything through and upload it is post. Then I run in to the issue of, GEM doesn't allow manual pairings. So, I'm rather stumped on how I can fix this.

I get the idea of "GO buy a webcam," but the lighting in our store washed out any chance of us scanning when I did buy one for the other computer. (Thanks bright florescent lighting!) Is there any way to get this fixed?

Also, I'd like to voice my opinion that GEM should MOST DEFINITELY allow manual inputs and manual pairing. I mean the decks have a manual input code. It can't be that tough, right? Anyways, hope someone can help.

Thanks for your time! -Chris

2 hours ago, ComicQuest said:

I get the idea of "GO buy a webcam," but the lighting in our store washed out any chance of us scanning when I did buy one for the other computer.

Can't speak for the GEM issues, but maybe have a regular old fashioned desk lamp to help with the lighting?

On 3/4/2019 at 6:54 PM, Amanal said:

Can't speak for the GEM issues, but maybe have a regular old fashioned desk lamp to help with the lighting?

We tried different lighting. The problem is simple. There is no calibration test in GEM which there should be. So what happens is once you open up said camera it just sucks in as much light as possible to the point that you can read anything off it. What we had to do was hide everything under our desk to get it to scan. Sure we could do that with every event, but is it realistic? No. In the end, I just want to service my customers as best as I possibly can, and I thing GEM is hindering our efforts.

GEM on the surface is a great software, but it's infantile. When it gets older (MUCH older), it's gonna be really solid. Right now you've just gotta keep it from bashing it's head into the fireplace. Problem being: It love fireplaces.

I had a similar issue with my brand new laptop. The webcam wouldn't focus closely. I'm aware this can be a laptop issue, but if there was any way to focus the webcam, that would be awesome. I think it's focused just a bit too far away.

Not sure if that was already covered. We planned a Chainbound event for this Tuesday but in the end weren't enough players and would like to do one tomorrow Friday. The whole event administration seems quite flawed as for once I am not able to cancel the event from Tuesday (as it is not allowed to change it, not even cancelling it) and on the other hand I can't create a new Chainbound event for tomorrow as I used the weekly slot already on Tuesday (which didn't take place).

Any suggestions / ideas on how to proceed here?

Many thanks,
Patrik

i was a player at a chainbound sealed on Wednesday night, march 8th, as a part of the set up GEM has you scan in the sealed deck. should i expect the deck to show up in my mastervault account after the TO submits? if it hasn't yet should i hold off on scanning it myself on the mobile app to avoid database glitches?

NEW GEM VERSION AVAILABLE

We have been crazy busy with this update! We have added as many features that have been
suggested as we could and fixed every bug we could find - and probably best of all, we gave you
the ability to fix your own events if you accidentally ran your Chainbound as Casual. There are
instructions on how to do that in the Help document.

Download it from your retailer account's download section for Mac or Windows.

Me? I am going to sleep for about 72 hours and recover from this. :)

Watch for the next update, too. We will have that out shortly with even more features!

Enjoy!!!!

Jeff Brower   
GEM Client Lead

Thanks Jeff! I was able to use this to upload my Casual results as ChainBound, which is really handy.

6 hours ago, treehousesheffield said:

Thanks Jeff! I was able to use this to upload my Casual results as ChainBound, which is really handy.

You made my day!

Jeff Brower   
GEM Client Lead

I have    had trouble running scheduled Chainbound events. I know I should be able to go online on the ANA website and schedule or events, and I'm pretty sure this has worked, but this morning  after creating an event for tomorrow for one of my stores, I was unable to see that event when I logged into GEM and created the tournament. I have talked my staff members through the process over the phone and most of the time we have been able to run the Chainbound events and report at the end, but this morning I couldn't even see the event when trying to create the tournament. I even clicked the Retry button several tim  es.

I wish creating the events in advance on the website and using the app to run the event felt a little more connected (see Wizard's Event Reporter).

Hello

Had a pairing issue during Round 2 in a 7-person event.
After 1 round, we had three 1-0, one bye 'winner', and three 0-1.
For R2, pairings for the 3 matches were:
1-0 vs 1-0
1-0 vs 0-1
bye 'winner' vs 0-1

In R2 shouldn't the bye 'winner' and a 1-0 play against each other and two of the 0-1's play with the 3rd 0-1 getting a bye?

Since we gave prizes based on record, we wound up with two people at 3-0.

Thanks for any advice.

Steve

Although I am logged in to our store account, I am unable to schedule a Tournament style event, only casual. Any ideas?

23 hours ago, Dishbird said:

I have    had trouble running scheduled Chainbound events. I know I should be able to go online on the ANA website and schedule or events, and I'm pretty sure this has worked, but this morning  after creating an event for tomorrow for one of my stores, I was unable to see that event when I logged into GEM and created the tournament. I have talked my staff members through the process over the phone and most of the time we have been able to run the Chainbound events and report at the end, but this morning I couldn't even see the event when trying to create the tournament. I even clicked the Retry button several tim  es.

I wish creating the events in advance on the website and using the app to run the event felt a little more connected (see Wizard's Event Reporter).

It can be frustrating knowing where to turn when two distinct elements of what appears to be the same pie exist. I get it. In our case, the GEM Client is what runs your events and uploads the results to the GEM Portal backend. They seem disconnected because they are, most of the time. The Client gets a list of allocated events and runs your selected event - but it can only show you what it is served by the server, in this case your events. The GEM Portal currently only shows the events that start within 24 hours of the request by the GEM Client. It does this to help insure that you are selecting your current weekly allocation and not accidently selecting the following week's allocation. This means that your profile has to have the correct timezone set (as does the event) and such. Truly, I am just guessing at the problem as this is a Portal thing and I encourage you to place a help request for the Portal if the times are all set correctly and the event does not show up - but this is truly a problem that is outside the ability of the GEM Client - we show you the events we get delivered. I wish I could help more.

Jeff Brower   
GEM Client Lead