KeyForge GEM Troubleshooting Discussion

By OfficialRules, in KeyForge

This thread is a place to discuss any GEM-related issues or concerns that you have experienced as well as resolutions to problems with the GEM client that you have resolved.

Feel free to discuss GEM with one another in the comments below!

What is GEM? Did I miss something?

Edit: Global Event Manager, who knew reading tags would be useful? 😊

Edited by Palpster

Hey Retailers! Make sure before your event that you check your GEM Client download to be certain it is the newest, latest and greatest! Boot GEM and look in the menu at the top: Help/About application. Go to your retailer downloads where you originally downloaded GEM and make sure they are the same! If they are different you can easily re-download and re-install (even between rounds). Hope you are enjoying the software!

Jeff Brower
GEM Client Lead

Does the GEM software work on an iPad?

This is probably silly- we ran our first Chainbound event tonight in GEM, is there any special action required to report it for the purposes of Power Level / Aembershards?

14 hours ago, Greymarch2000 said:

Does the GEM software work on an iPad?

We decided to only support Windows and Mac desktops and laptops at this time - but never say never!

Jeff Brower
GEM Client Lead

13 hours ago, jupiter games said:

This is probably silly- we ran our first Chainbound event tonight in GEM, is there any special action required to report it for the purposes of Power Level / Aembershards?

At the end of your last round you should have seen an Upload button. If you did that and your event uploaded, we will handle the rest!

Jeff Brower
GEM Client Lead

Where could I get it?

Well I installed the software and only when player turned up did I find out that a webcam is absolutely required!!!!

I ran out and bought one and I can't get the app to scan any QR codes, so we got a second one, and we still can't get it to work, there is no manual entry option for the deck codes, great job!!

Just now, Kanedakun said:

Well I installed the software and only when player turned up did I find out that a webcam is absolutely required!!!!

I ran out and bought one and I can't get the app to scan any QR codes, so we got a second one, and we still can't get it to work, there is no manual entry option for the deck codes, great job!!

I am sorry you are having difficulty! We have been having loads of events fire and we are getting uploads globally so we know the software works well and this is likely an issue where something local to you can be adjusted. Unfortunately, there are issues beyond the software's control that limit us to only scanning the QR Codes for now (and we would love to give you manual entry as manual entry is frankly easier than scanning from a programming point of view), but we are hoping those all get resolved for a future release.

In the meantime, it would be useful to know things about your setup. I would like to suggest that you send an email to us (to the address in the Help doc) and give us a little information like the computer you are using, the operating system that is on it, what cameras you have tried, if you have rebooted your computer after the camera installation, if you can see the cameras in your system control panel, if the camera is already open in another application, if the GEM Client shows them in its control panel, if the problem is that the camera is not recognized or if its video shows up in the application, if it is blurry or has reflections, if moving it closer or further away helps, and if you have tried turning off the autofocus - - anything you can think of. We are eager to help because we want you to succeed!

Jeff Brower
GEM Client Lead

1 hour ago, ovinomanc3r said:

Where could I get it?

Currently the software is limited to retailer downloads. Retailers can log into their retail accounts and go to the downloads section.

Hello. I am a retailer and cant find the download section you are talking about.

22 minutes ago, GioKarab said:

Hello. I am a retailer and cant find the download section you are talking about.

It should be available to you after you log in from the top set of links - all the way on the right you will see Downloads.

As a short-cut, try this: https://retailers.asmodeena.com/downloads

If you have not logged in, that link should force the login and then take you there! Enjoy!

Jeff Brower
GEM Client Lead

I am the manager of a store in Australia. How do we get access to the GEM software ?

Is it possible to add a test /offline trial tournament modus, so you can see how everything works/make sure you can scan the QR-codes properly before having to do everything live? Would reduce a lot of stress on the TO since they don't have to worry about any of that on the day itself, and can familiarize themselves with the program without having to be afraid of fuxing something up.

Also, are handheld QR scanners supported? The kind you would see in a store as barcode scanner generally. Is it possible to link those to the program?

3 hours ago, Isnigu said:

Is it possible to add a test /offline trial tournament modus, so you can see how everything works/make sure you can scan the QR-codes properly before having to do everything live? Would reduce a lot of stress on the TO since they don't have to worry about any of that on the day itself, and can familiarize themselves with the program without having to be afraid of fuxing something up.

What others have done is to use their own Master Vault Profiles and screen shots of the profile belonging to 3 friends or family members to create a complete tournament (4 is the minimum tournament size). Obviously you would only use the Casual setting so that there is no upload involved. If all you want to know is if you have your camera ready (autofocus off is a great setting to try if you have problems) you can add yourself to the tournament using your Master Vault app and one of your own decks - then just keep removing yourself from the tournament and re-adding yourself until you are comfortable using the scanner and the software.

In every case I applaud you for wanting to boot and try out the software BEFORE your tournament!

Jeff Brower
GEM Client Lead

2 hours ago, Isnigu said:

Also, are handheld QR scanners supported? The kind you would see in a store as barcode scanner generally. Is it possible to link those to the program?

We have not actually tested them, but we are thinking that direction might be a possibility (as well as a few other options). These days it is almost impossible to buy a computer without a webcam and inexpensive USB webcams suitable for a simple QR Code are (generally speaking) less expensive than a handheld QR Reader - so I chose that option. We wanted to give you a way to scan using equipment you probably already own.

Jeff Brower
GEM Client Lead

The Upload button didn't appear after the last round.

With the disclaimer that this is going to sound REALLY silly, some possible additional information that might be relevant:

We'd planned on running a Survival event on Saturday 1/26, and when the Time of Triumph was announced we were hyped to make it Chainbound. Only after scheduling it on our retailer portal did we read that Chainbound events were Solo-only at this time. SO upon request of a bunch of our players we edited the event (in the retailer portal) and made it Tuesday from 7-9, but a combination of player/TO foibles meant that the last round finished slightly after 9.

We also had several players drop during the event.

I realize this is a laundry list of "uhhh this is user error" but would any of that be the likely cause of the upload button not showing up?

3 hours ago, OldAmber said:

We have not actually tested them, but we are thinking that direction might be a possibility (as well as a few other options). These days it is almost impossible to buy a computer without a webcam and inexpensive USB webcams suitable for a simple QR Code are (generally speaking) less expensive than a handheld QR Reader - so I chose that option. We wanted to give you a way to scan using equipment you probably already own.

Jeff Brower
GEM Client Lead

My store computer has no webcam, I am now expected to go buy a webcam so I can run tournaments for my customers. There is absolutely no excuse for why manual entry of the codes is not an option. You can do it on the mobile app, why not GEM. Last night I could not host a ChainBound event for my eager players because of this. No other tournament software requires me to go buy external hardware. Who should I bill my webcam receipt to?

On 1/23/2019 at 8:17 AM, OldAmber said:

At the end of your last round you should have seen an Upload button. If you did that and your event uploaded, we will handle the rest!

Jeff Brower
GEM Client Lead

Hi Jeff, We finished our last round but did not have an Upload button. What can we do to get this information uploaded?

2 hours ago, JupiterGames said:

The Upload button didn't appear after the last round.

With the disclaimer that this is going to sound REALLY silly, some possible additional information that might be relevant:

We'd planned on running a Survival event on Saturday 1/26, and when the Time of Triumph was announced we were hyped to make it Chainbound. Only after scheduling it on our retailer portal did we read that Chainbound events were Solo-only at this time. SO upon request of a bunch of our players we edited the event (in the retailer portal) and made it Tuesday from 7-9, but a combination of player/TO foibles meant that the last round finished slightly after 9.

We also had several players drop during the event.

I realize this is a laundry list of "uhhh this is user error" but would any of that be the likely cause of the upload button not showing up?

Could be! Let's work the problem and find out! Drops should not impact getting an upload button, but choosing Casual will certainly do it. If you are running a Chainbound Event you have to be logged into the application and select one of your events that you defined from you allotment (you obviously defined one!). If you didn't select that event when you created the tournament and selected Casual instead then the GEM Client will not think it has to upload anything and will not present you with an upload button.

I don't know that your edit would have made a difference either - unless you did that while the event was running.

In any case, we want to make sure that players get their Æmbershards so please contact us at the email address at the bottom of the Help doc and let's get it fixed for you - and them!

Jeff Brower
GEM Client Lead

59 minutes ago, Ottos Video Games and More said:

Hi Jeff, We finished our last round but did not have an Upload button. What can we do to get this information uploaded?

Was this a Chainbound event? If so, I wonder if you mistakenly ran this as a Casual event and did not log in using the login button at the top of the application? Send an email to the support address in your GEM Client help (I am trying to keep it clean from spam as much as I can and I don't want to ask account information here.

Jeff Brower
GEM Client Lead

It did seem weird that we didn't have to login when first opening the app