KeyForge GEM Troubleshooting Discussion

By OfficialRules, in KeyForge

33 minutes ago, Greymarch2000 said:

It did seem weird that we didn't have to login when first opening the app

We just wanted to give everyone as much access as possible. By having it where anyone can run a Casual tournament, a retailer does not need to worry about sharing their login and you can have anyone volunteer to run a Casual event whom you trust to do it correctly - the software keeps everything fair and since there is no shenanigans with manual pairings you can be sure that even your Casual events have the same integrity as the highest level ones. BUT - when it comes time for the events that you are allocated, your retailer password is required to get access to those allocations (and tournament definitions) and to upload them later because you are responsible for that. It is important to us to keep the retailers safe, events runable at all times and the players happy in the knowledge that they have the same fairness wherever they play! This was our solution and we hope that it works well for you.

Jeff Brower
GEM Client Lead

I just want to take the opportunity to thank you, Jeff, for communicating with your customers in this way. There’s a lot of complaining and frustration on these forums (about a lot of things), but I feel it’s important to let our appreciation be known as well. So thank you! Keep doing what you do and hopefully you can use some of the constructive criticism on here to keep improving your product.

10 minutes ago, Palpster said:

I just want to take the opportunity to thank you, Jeff, for communicating with your customers in this way. There’s a lot of complaining and frustration on these forums (about a lot of things), but I feel it’s important to let our appreciation be known as well. So thank you! Keep doing what you do and hopefully you can use some of the constructive criticism on here to keep improving your product.

Thank you very much. Sincerely.

Jeff Brower
GEM Client Lead

Would there be any consideration to releasing the program to players so that they can run little events between themselves and track chains?

Or will our phone app eventually allow casual play tracking?

14 hours ago, Amanal said:

Would there be any consideration to releasing the program to players so that they can run little events between themselves and track chains?

Or will our phone app eventually allow casual play tracking?

I am not at liberty to discuss our future plans - but - stay tuned for happy surprises. 😉

Jeff Brower
GEM Client Lead

I was wondering if GEM is the responsible of the calculations for Power Level and Chain tracking for every deck, or it just upload the results and FFG handles them, because I’ve seen at least 1 deck where the results are wrong.

2 hours ago, Tabris2k said:

I was wondering if GEM is the responsible of the calculations for Power Level and Chain tracking for every deck, or it just upload the results and FFG handles them, because I’ve seen at least 1 deck where the results are wrong.

The Client simply uploads the event and the servers do all calculations and awards. We are eager to find and squash any bug! Please send us as much detail as you can to the email address at the end of the GEM CLient Help doc so that we can make sure everything is made right!
Jeff Brower
GEM Client Lead

Just a thought here: You mentioned above that the casual mode doesn't require login so that the store can farm that out to any schmoe (like me!) who's willing to facilitate a basic event.

Would it be possible to flip the authentication on the official, competition mode? That is, could I enter an official event 'on the fly', record the results, but have the upload held until authentication is put in? If you could make that persist just for that session, it would allow the store to delegate some of the overhead in administration and just 'authorize' the upload of the results when things are done. (Could even be done some time later, though I suspect you'd want the batch to die/disappear after 48hrs or so if not submitted.)

I work, in part, supervising an app dev team, so this thread is fun to watch. As others have said, Jeff, many kudos for the way you're handling this feedback and requests... It speaks well of you and the companies you represent.

41 minutes ago, OldAmber said:

The Client simply uploads the event and the servers do all calculations and awards. We are eager to find and squash any bug! Please send us as much detail as you can to the email address at the end of the GEM CLient Help doc so that we can make sure everything is made right!
Jeff Brower
GEM Client Lead

I can’t use that doc, as I’m not a retailer. I’m just a player, but we happened to encounter this deck:

https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/f8ce316e-b09e-4673-905f-4b734364d9c3

Which is at Power Level 4 with just 5 games played, and only 3 wins. That doesn’t match with what we know about chains, wins, and Power Levels, as per this article

3 minutes ago, Tabris2k said:

I can’t use that doc, as I’m not a retailer. I’m just a player, but we happened to encounter this deck:

https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/f8ce316e-b09e-4673-905f-4b734364d9c3

Which is at Power Level 4 with just 5 games played, and only 3 wins. That doesn’t match with what we know about chains, wins, and Power Levels, as per this article

I am absolutely rolling on the floor here. That is one of my personal decks and I used it for testing. I wanted to make sure that the power levels were being handled properly for Chainbound Events. There is another one out there too if you can find it before we reset my decks so that I can play them again!

Good catch!! I love that you guys are keeping everyone honest!! It is so good for the game!

Jeff Brower
GEM Client Lead

5 minutes ago, OldAmber said:

I am absolutely rolling on the floor here. That is one of my personal decks and I used it for testing. I wanted to make sure that the power levels were being handled properly for Chainbound Events. There is another one out there too if you can find it before we reset my decks so that I can play them again!

Good catch!! I love that you guys are keeping everyone honest!! It is so good for the game!

Jeff Brower
GEM Client Lead

Gah! We were all scratching our heads at the KeyForge subreddit trying to understand how something like this can happen!

Thanks for the clarification.

Also, if you don’t mind, I’m gonna link this thread there, as it seems to be a lot of activity there, and I saw a couple of people asking for which software was being used.

1 hour ago, OldAmber said:

Jeff Brower
GEM Client Lead

I am guessing: https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/a4202d2c-14df-413e-8198-8030bf6a0eb9

Hey so I am in and can schedule events but can not schedule my chainbound event.

I'm replying via email to pursue the fix but just wanted to let other people know: we totally made the event in Casual, that was the problem.

Ok, so I screwed up my first tournament. I created a Chainbound event, and then somehow started a casual event. Can we fix this or is that a done deal? This seems to be an issue for a few people here. Maybe a little more clarity on the event creation?

5 hours ago, bsquinlan said:

Hey so I am in and can schedule events but can not schedule my chainbound event.

If you have locations defined and an allocation for Chainbound events and you selected one of your allocations to define you should be good to go. If not, please take screen shots and and send them to the support email address at the end of the Help document in the GEM Client so we can get you squared away!

Jeff Brower
GEM Client Lead

1 hour ago, ShermanS said:

Ok, so I screwed up my first tournament. I created a Chainbound event, and then somehow started a casual event. Can we fix this or is that a done deal? This seems to be an issue for a few people here. Maybe a little more clarity on the event creation?

You are right, you are not alone. There is a how-to document in the same downloads directory where you downloaded the GEM Client which should describe the process in detail. In the meantime send your final backup files to the support email address at the end of the Help document in the GEM Client with all your information and we will see if we can help fix this for you and your players!

Jeff Brower
GEM Client Lead

Hello and good day!
Every time we scan a deck a pop up appears saying invalid QR code

I have attached a print screen of the pop up.

Have you encountered this problem? What can we do?

EDIT: Solved.No worries we were scanning decks instead of players QR code.

problem.JPG

Edited by Fantasy Shop
solved

Are there any plans to support manual entry of deck/player codes? I think it's wrong to assume every store has a computer with a webcam. Or at least allow us to sync a smart-phone/tablet to our account to capture the codes.

I was fiddling around with a test tournament the other day on the site and wanted to delete it but there's only a an option to 'Cancel' so I did that. Later once I had the GEM software actually installed and was ready I set up a "real" tournament and when I check the Store Finder through the Master Vault it lists both events still, the proper tournament and the Test one. Should cancelled events not be taken off?

How Strength and Extended Strength do work? I'd like to explain it at tournament. Many people did not like the way of evaluation for the ties by the software because i could not explain them how the software does work on this spot.

Edited by Palter94
2 hours ago, Palter94 said:

How Strength and Extended Strength do work? I'd like to explain it at tournament. Many people did not like the way of evaluation for the ties by the software because i could not explain them how the software does work on this spot.

Strength of Schedule is how well your opponents did. People who play stronger opponents get ranked higher in the case of ties.

Extended Strength of Schedule is used if Strength of Schedule is tied. That measures your opponents' Strength of Schedule. So if they played stronger opponents, it reflects better on you.

Still a bit disillusioned with the rollout of the GEM Client software for KeyForge.

We have a good and growing KeyForge player base who are very keen for us to run these events but we're prevented to do so unless we invest in extra hardware (Web Cam).

Not only that but I can't see anywhere that we have a recommended list of compatible webcams for the software. I can see other TO's have mentioned having tried a variety of webcams without success and I'm loathe to spend exdtra money just to find out the GEM Client doesn't work with that model.

Of course, manual entry would solve this in a heartbeat.

Clearly the sooner we can resolve this the better for all.

Hoping for a quick and easy (and cost-effective) solution.

1 hour ago, Team Calamity said:

Still a bit disillusioned with the rollout of the GEM Client software for KeyForge.

We have a good and growing KeyForge player base who are very keen for us to run these events but we're prevented to do so unless we invest in extra hardware (Web Cam).

Not only that but I can't see anywhere that we have a recommended list of compatible webcams for the software. I can see other TO's have mentioned having tried a variety of webcams without success and I'm loathe to spend exdtra money just to find out the GEM Client doesn't work with that model.

Of course, manual entry would solve this in a heartbeat.

Clearly the sooner we can resolve this the better for all.

Hoping for a quick and easy (and cost-effective) solution.

It makes me sad to hear that you are disillusioned - we put an incredible amount of work into this suite of software for you guys. We do have people telling us that they spent $10 on a webcam that works well and others who are pleased to find that they finally have a use for the built-in webcam on their laptops. We are still trying to work out the manual entry part, but we only have what we have when dealing with global privacy legislation. I agree that the sooner we can give you alternatives the better and I ask your patience as we are working on those right now. Using the webcams has globally been a huge success so far, but as you have seen there are people having issues and we do want to have a 100% success rate.

All I can do is to tell you that, with over a half million decks already discovered, our desire to make it easy for you to scan them at an event is understandably paramount to us - and I ask your patience while we come up with additional options for you as they become options for us. Trust me, we are all on the same team here.

Jeff Brower
GEM Client Lead

Webcams -- One of the suggestions that we got back from the community seems to make a difference. Lighting. Remember that the QR Code is all about the black and white contrast. If you do not have ENOUGH light (and remember the camera needs a lot more light than your eyes) then the QR Code capture might fail. This is could be one of the reasons that some have said that blowing up their QR Code 3x works - that increases the distance between the black and white areas of the QR Code. You can almost not have too much light. If you are having issues, why not try a lamp or something to add light to the card and see if it makes a difference.

Others have said that turning autofocus on or off worked for them.

If you have a "known to work" why not share that information? Anything we can do to help each other grows the game and helps us all!

Just thought I would put that out there. Perhaps it will help.

Jeff Brower
GEM Client Lead