KeyForge GEM Troubleshooting Discussion

By OfficialRules, in KeyForge

1 hour ago, OldAmber said:

I think there is an misunderstanding here someplace. If a retailer has been given an allotment of events, and that retailer defines a Chainbound event out of that allotment, then runs the GEM Client and properly chooses that Chainbound event to run (such that the GEM Client shows that it is not a Casual event), we really and truly want to make sure that the players who participate get their awards and the decks that earn Chains get them attached so that Power Levels are properly computed and the game maintains balance. That does not matter if this is the retailer's 1st event or 20th event. Every event is important to us.

What has happened a few times is that a few retailers accidently ran the wrong type of event (Casual rather than Chainbound) and we are getting them all in line to fix those events - this may be the source of the delay - and for now, this is an arduous task for us (which takes time). That said, again, we want to make sure that players and decks get the awards they deserve.

Jeff Brower
GEM Client Lead

@OldAmber Thanks for the response Jeff!

So is there any sort of action myself or the retailer need to take in order to retrospectively sort it out? Or will it be automatically done eventually?

Or is the chance now missed?

Thanks again

3 hours ago, jonboyjon1990 said:

@OldAmber Thanks for the response Jeff!

So is there any sort of action myself or the retailer need to take in order to retrospectively sort it out? Or will it be automatically done eventually?

Or is the chance now missed?

Thanks again

You are very welcome. All we need is an explanation, the relevant backup files from the end of the event, a promissory note obligating the first born to the house of Brobnar and we are good to go! Send all that to the email address at the end of the Help Document in the GEM Client. Please be patient though because it is a manual process currently. We do need the action because if these are run as Casual, we were not expecting an upload anyway!

Jeff Brower
GEM Client Lead

I think the best reference is in downloads in the retailer portal for Asmodee NA explaining how to make Chainbound events, everything is there nice and neat if you've already received allocation.

Edited by JaysCDandHobby
Found the answer
1 hour ago, OldAmber said:

You are very welcome. All we need is an explanation, the relevant backup files from the end of the event, a promissory note obligating the first born to the house of Brobnar and we are good to go! Send all that to the email address at the end of the Help Document in the GEM Client. Please be patient though because it is a manual process currently. We do need the action because if these are run as Casual, we were not expecting an upload anyway!

Jeff Brower
GEM Client Lead

Does it matter if the firstborn has been subjected to Logos experimentation already? Or if a few Dis demons have replaced it with a doppelganger? 😈

22 hours ago, OldAmber said:

I love that making the events is super easy - but yes, it is so easy to create an event that the special setup for Chainbound sometimes gets missed and the event will get run as Casual rather than Chainbound. We are trying really hard to get those fixed, but it is very time consuming for us right now to manually repair the tournaments in error. Since we want you to run both, it is hard to stop those errors, all we can do is warn you better - so that is what we are doing.

Take solace that this will be harder to do after the next release. Nothing like a nice red bold warning to get your attention. :)

Jeff Brower
GEM Client Lead

Unless you are the store owner who sets up the events but not the volunteer who helps run the events and does not get access to your store's retailer account. I think you guys are not considering the various roles that happen in a retail environment. Now if you get set up different account with different roles, each tied into my stores database, that;'s something. But right now it's too limited.

17 hours ago, OldAmber said:

Jeff Brower
GEM Client Lead

For crying out loud why isn't this something that the account holder can do. Are you afraid of shenanigans? Then pull out the banhammer. Put my store's Platinum status in jeopardy. This is such as EASY fix if we can get access to the QR info of the players and decks form the casual tourney that needs to be transferred. We are professionals. Treat us like professionals.

In the meantime, expect my tourney results to add to your pile.

Edited by ImBoardGames

What are the odds that eventually the event data will be stored in my retailer account and not just locally on the machine that ran that event? This is particularly problematic for stores with multiple locations and multiple people running multiple events at those multiple locations.

Does the Export button do anything yet? Nothing happens when I click it. Thanks!

So I too Got to the final Round of our Tournament but am not seeing any upload Option. Just save Load And the same things that are available during the event.

image.thumb.png.edb9fc37f41501e7ce8ce11bbfbec18e.png

Hello hello! We wondered if there were plans to allow you to scan in players and decks separately. That is to say, get all the players scanned in before putting the decks in? This would be especially handy for Sealed tournaments where people arrive at different times, but we want to sign them in when they arrive. We obviously can't give them their deck straight away, so it can be a little bit of a faff.

On the whole, very happy with GEM. It's lovely and simple :)

Just did our first ChainBound event!
We use big display screens to show pairings. Is there a way for us to enlarge the text of pairing for big displays?

On 2/12/2019 at 9:52 PM, Titangamesspi said:

So I too Got to the final Round of our Tournament but am not seeing any upload Option. Just save Load And the same things that are available during the event.

image.thumb.png.edb9fc37f41501e7ce8ce11bbfbec18e.png

It says Event Type: Casual. Casual events don't need to be uploaded. If you meant to run a Chainbound event; see above about promising your firstborn to Brobnar in order to get it fixed.

On 1/29/2019 at 9:54 AM, OldAmber said:

Yup! In order to run a Chainbound event you will have to have an allotment of events. You can apply for an allotment from your retailer account.

Jeff Brower
GEM Client Lead 

Where is this located? I have clicked on every link but can not find it.

I currently run a weekly league that switches back and forth between sealed and archon with the various formats. It stretches over a six week span with a winner at the end. We have the GEM software but I still have a few questions:

How far in advance do I need to request my allotment?

Would I be able to run each event as a chainbound event with the allotment given to a retailer?

Do I need to ask for 6 events to run this league?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

On 2/13/2019 at 11:33 AM, treehousesheffield said:

Hello hello! We wondered if there were plans to allow you to scan in players and decks separately. That is to say, get all the players scanned in before putting the decks in? This would be especially handy for Sealed tournaments where people arrive at different times, but we want to sign them in when they arrive. We obviously can't give them their deck straight away, so it can be a little bit of a faff.

On the whole, very happy with GEM. It's lovely and simple :)

My favorite thing is simple! We want to keep those sealed decks secret too - so our next update will make this a bit easier for you to accomplish. No spoilers, but watch close over the next few days!

Jeff Brower
GEM Client Lead

On 2/13/2019 at 7:59 PM, fadgames said:

Just did our first ChainBound event!
We use big display screens to show pairings. Is there a way for us to enlarge the text of pairing for big displays?

Oh man - you are going to LOVE the next update! Watch for it - it is almost here!

Jeff Brower
GEM Client Lead

Ran into an issue yesterday. In the final round of an event a player dropped right as pairings were published. (The round hadn't been started yet.) As no game play had taken place I wanted to drop that player and re-pair everyone. But the system wouldn't allow that. Any reason the system won't let you go back at that point? The alternative is giving a player a free win late in the tournament because their opponent didn't show up.

On 2/8/2019 at 7:18 AM, willowr said:

1) It would be really useful if it showed somewhere in the software how many chains are on a given deck without having to print Match Slips for each round. For weekly events I'm never going to be actually printing those and having to go into them to find starting chains is incredibly clunky; and

Want to second this. A lot of the answers to the questions we're asking about why the software works the way it does come down to issues of integrity and it seems really easy for everyone at an event to miss the chains that are on a deck because the player is unaware and the software doesn't make it obvious.

Edited by AlleyCatComics

Can anyone assist with Chainbound Allocations to run events ? I registered my store over two weeks ago and I am still sitting waiting and cannot run anything as yet. My players are getting very fustrated and our store is going to lose them to other stores who are running events. Any ideas on how rectify this situations ?

On 1/31/2019 at 6:04 AM, OldAmber said:

I am going to refer you to a previous reply I made:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/289590-keyforge-gem-troubleshooting-discussion/?do=findComment&comment=3607124

Everyone that plays must have their own Master Vault account. No exceptions. No sharing of Profiles. Totally free sharing of decks. In my personal opinion, privacy within the Master Vault is ridiculously safe. It is the Profile in each player's Master Vault, used to enter a Chainbound tournament, which banks the shards that are awarded. In other words, Players get shards banked in their unique Profile and Decks only get wins and losses which go into the calculations for Chains and Power Levels. We don't care who owns the deck or who discovered it (as far as playing the deck goes). What we do care about is having fun and keeping the game balanced.

Hope that helps!

Jeff Brower
GEM Client Lead 

Whilst I appreciate the desire/requirement for every player to have their own vault account; could you then please disable the requirement that each account has to be tied to a unique email address.

Unsurprisingly, my seven year old daughter does not have her own email account...

Edited by VinceT

So TIFU. We had a chainbound at the store, just 6 players. We played it and after the tournament I made a new tournament to test out the new webcam our store owner gave me (so I didn't had to bring my personal one all the time). That's all context. I didn't upload the chainbound tournament! And by starting a new one to test I lost the results. (This was all thursday).

I got the store owner and all players involved via facebook. We have a full rundown of who played who and I have screenshots of all the player's id's and decks. So I got GEM on my personal computer, scanned all the players in to re-create the tournament, but now I can't change first round pairings to what they were. Is there a way I can force this? Or can you help me get the involved players their chains and amber shards?

22 hours ago, VinceT said:

Whilst I appreciate the desire/requirement for every player to have their own vault account; could you then please disable the requirement that each account has to be tied to a unique email address.

Unsurprisingly, my seven year old daughter does not have her own email account...

While Asmodee.net accounts are used to identify you in the GEM Client, setting up those accounts and maintaining them has lots of consideratons that are quite different from their use. I encourage you to take that suggestion directly to Asmodee.net support, but my suggestion would be to simply create a free one for your child (which you would supervise in any case) then use the process Asmodee provides (which I describe in a previous post) for your child.

Jeff Brower   
GEM Client Lead

1 hour ago, Qanar said:

So TIFU. We had a chainbound at the store, just 6 players. We played it and after the tournament I made a new tournament to test out the new webcam our store owner gave me (so I didn't had to bring my personal one all the time). That's all context. I didn't upload the chainbound tournament! And by starting a new one to test I lost the results. (This was all thursday).

I got the store owner and all players involved via facebook. We have a full rundown of who played who and I have screenshots of all the player's id's and decks. So I got GEM on my personal computer, scanned all the players in to re-create the tournament, but now I can't change first round pairings to what they were. Is there a way I can force this? Or can you help me get the involved players their chains and amber shards?

Wow! That's dedication to your players! I love it!

Actually, I gave you a way to do this already. If you look in your documents folder you will see a folder named GEM Client. In that folder is another folder named backups. In that folder is a folder for each of your events. In that folder are automatic snapshot backups for every phase in the event. Open the most current one (looking at the file date and time) and that should be your tournament complete with upload button!

Jeff Brower   
GEM Client Lead

38 minutes ago, OldAmber said:

Wow! That's dedication to your players! I love it!

Actually, I gave you a way to do this already. If you look in your documents folder you will see a folder named GEM Client. In that folder is another folder named backups. In that folder is a folder for each of your events. In that folder are automatic snapshot backups for every phase in the event. Open the most current one (looking at the file date and time) and that should be your tournament complete with upload button!

Jeff Brower   
GEM Client Lead

If only I knew! Offcourse it's sunday night now, store's closed, so no access to the pc where the actual tournament is saved. And if I go there tomorrow to upload it we will probably lose our chainbound tournament for the week of 25/2? Could you confirm this Jeff?

Edited by Qanar
1 hour ago, Qanar said:

If only I knew! Offcourse it's sunday night now, store's closed, so no access to the pc where the actual tournament is saved. And if I go there tomorrow to upload it we will probably lose our chainbound tournament for the week of 25/2? Could you confirm this Jeff?

I can't confirm either way. I think it is all about allocation and definition as opposed to uploads. Either way, you have to upload events! My bet is that after you upload, you will be able to define your next event just fine!

Jeff Brower   
GEM Client Lead

Played in my first Chainbound event today, a nine player event. In the fourth round, the sole undefeated player was paired down, but rather than play either of the two 2-1'players he hadn't already faced, he was drawn down against a player on 1-2.

Is this a conscious choice by the GEM team? Shouldn't Swiss events pair top down, rather than bottom up? It feels like it cheapens the event somewhat to have it the other way around.