The Circuit (OOC)

By Rabobankrider, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

Just now, rocketrobie2 said:

Here's my roll. I tried doing the destiny flip too but I'm not sure if I did it right. Does this look correct to you guys?

Accelerating to speed 4 (Flipped one destiny to upgrade check) : 3eD+1eC+4eP+1eB 3 failures
d-f-f.png d-f-th.png d-f-f.png c-th-th.png p--.png p-s.png p-a-a.png p-s-a.png b--.png

Yep, that's correct. YYYG becomes YYYY.

Just didn't really do you any good. 😕

Oh well, was pretty good outta the gate.

Oh wait, did one of you guys give me a boost? Or did those both go to Zara?

Edited by rocketrobie2
8 minutes ago, rocketrobie2 said:

One to each

1 hour ago, rocketrobie2 said:

Zara passed a Boost to you! Also, did you add Boost(s) for Handling?

4 hours ago, Edgehawk said:

Zara passed a Boost to you! Also, did you add Boost(s) for Handling?

I did use the boost for handling but I didn't use the one from Zara or the mechanic duo. @Rabobankrider should I re roll or just run with the roll I made?

Down Hill Time Trial:

Current winning score: 5, 11, 16

1. @rocketrobie2 : 5, 11, 12
  2. @Edgehawk : 3, 8, 9, 18

@rocketrobie2 , my general rule of thumb is if it's just a missing dice it can be rolled separately. Good luck!

Down Hill Time Trial:

Current winning score: 5, 11, 16, 21

1. @rocketrobie2 : 5, 11, 12, 15
  2. @Edgehawk : 3, 8, 9, 18

@rocketrobie2 , you drop down to speed 3 at the end.

And that is our first race complete! I just need the posts for your final stretches and I will round out the ceremony etc. I will tell you now, @Edgehawk with that massive boost at the end has gone from around 5th to 2nd. You would actually spend a short stint in the hot seat for your troubles. Unfortunately @rocketrobie2 ; despite a consistently good run, has gone down to 4th. Still a very good run from all of you, and you've certainly made some ripples here!

As the first race is done I am looking for feedback on how you think it went, the scoring, rolls etc, how the non-racers felt for inclusion. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

19 hours ago, Rabobankrider said:

As the first race is done I am looking for feedback on how you think it went, the scoring, rolls etc, how the non-racers felt for inclusion. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

I think it went okay.

For the rolls, I think the difficulties should be determined by the course section rather than the normal rules for Difficult Terrain, upgraded by a number equal to speed. So an Easy difficulty at Speed 3 would be against 2eC.

The scoring is good.

As for inclusion, getting to pass on a Boost once/twice per race isn't really all that much. Something requiring a pit crew like an endurance race or something where there are shenanigans going on behind the scenes during the race would work better, I think. I find the endurance race very interesting, and think that there's a lot of fodder there for shenanigans for both the racers and the nons.

In a scenario like the second, it would be a fine balance to involve the racers and not have it devolve into focusing entirely on the non-racer PCs. This would require much more intricate focus on the race itself, which in turn complicates the session and can risk bogging it down since we're doing PbP and it isn't as fast-paced as some, meaning what happens in a relatively short time in-game might take months of real-time play.

I agree with @P-47 Thunderbolt this style of race won’t have much interaction for the pit crew. Which is fine as long as it’s not the only style race we do.

A relay race where we swap racers and bikes per leg could have us doing mechanics checks on the bike back home.

A race like a NASCAR style four hour event would require several pit stops over the course of the race.

A race like Le Mans would be a 24 hour endurance race that would probably have Zara and Yoonmuff switching while both Varik and Krydil would be doing periodic checks on the Vehicles.

For these longer form races piloting checks should have a chance of causing parts to fail. Or worst case scenarios Crashes to happen.

This might just be me but I didn't really understand the current winning score tally. I got the tally for myself and @Edgehawk but were those other ones the going tallies for the other racers?

Other than that I liked everything about it though I agree having more for the non-racers to do would be great, I felt a little bad that Yoomnuff and Zara were the only ones really doing anything.

Yeah to add to that point, it would be nice to see other Racers rolls. At least the person who is currently the lead. I feel it would give us Useful info.

I’m okay with trying for the endurance event next, but I suspect we will need to rob a bank first, for the fees. Also, not sure how to enlist yet another manager, or how to engage them (and keep them engaged).

Thanks for the update with the feedback guys!

In terms of the difficulty checks, I'm using the roll system that's used in the Suns of Fortune adventure module, in that the terrain difficulty adds setback dice to the check. I do agree that there should have been more for the mechanics to do, but in a time-trial format I was struggling to figure out anything more to do. For the record this was the kind of thing the event was based on:

Endurance races will definitely have more for the other members of the team to do, however as you guys save up winnings etc there will also be more to do in other races as you can invest in more tech for surveillance, support etc.

I do intend to run a bunch of different types of races, I'm also looking into other vehicles that can work on things like co-piloting and stuff like that.

For this race rather than rill for all the racers, the tally your were racing against was a set score designed to represent all of the competition. Beating it puts you in first place, and then however many behind the score desides the position for that round. For other races I intend to do them as standard rolls, but for a time-trial event I felt this made more sense. I am open to adjusting if people prefer.

In terms of management characters, I am intending to introduce an npc to take over that. However I am intending on advertising for the games I'm running (minus the old republic one to see if there is any interest like that.

@rocketrobie2 , when you're ready with your post I'll sort out the next post.

1 minute ago, Rabobankrider said:

For this race rather than rill for all the racers, the tally your were racing against was a set score designed to represent all of the competition. Beating it puts you in first place, and then however many behind the score desides the position for that round. For other races I intend to do them as standard rolls, but for a time-trial event I felt this made more sense. I am open to adjusting if people prefer.

I'm fine with it. Unless there's a particular NPC one of them is racing against (generally some sort of antagonist or friendly rival, but maybe someone they're going head-to-head with), not rolling gives you a bit more control and streamlines things. If you had to roll for every racer, it would bog things down tremendously.

Other option would be to just abstract the race to a single roll, with a difficulty based on the opposition, but that isn't as interesting. :)

15 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I'm fine with it. Unless there's a particular NPC one of them is racing against (generally some sort of antagonist or friendly rival, but maybe someone they're going head-to-head with), not rolling gives you a bit more control and streamlines things. If you had to roll for every racer, it would bog things down tremendously.

Other option would be to just abstract the race to a single roll, with a difficulty based on the opposition, but that isn't as interesting. :)

To that Point if anyone has seen Ford vs. Ferrari you could have a general check to see how you deal with the competition as whole for the most part, However in the scene where Ken and Enzo Ferrari are pushing their cars to the limits to out speed one another I feel that would be an opposed check between the two racers.

Sorry guys! I completely forgot that I had to make a post to go along with the rolls, my bad. Also I loved Ford vs. Ferrari and I think that'd be a pretty good way of going about the races.

Important npc's and races with smaller fields will have rolls done for them.

Congrats on your first race! The team has earnt 400 credits for their troubles, you can choose to have that as communal or split it as you see fit. To represent your reputation in the racing world, I am planning on using duty to represent this. Because of such a good performance you have earnt 7 duty each. I am going to tally this on page one, but I will also need you guys to choose your own duty to represent your individual pursuits as members of the crew.

Edited by Rabobankrider

Are there like Racing specific Duties?

Well looks like we will still need some odd jobs as 400 won't cover the next race entry fee.

Also is there EXP from the Race?

@Shlambate , there aren't unfortunately, but all duty related events will be focused around the racing career of the individual. If you guys let me know what duties you choose I will add them to the list.

And yes! There is xp for the race, 15 to be precise. This is technically not the end of the session, I'll wrap it up with however you guys decide to end the day (be it a quiet one or a full blown celebration.

3 minutes ago, Rabobankrider said:

And yes! There is xp for the race, 15 to be precise. This is technically not the end of the session, I'll wrap it up with however you guys decide to end the day (be it a quiet one or a full blown celebration.

Varik's gonna perform maintenance on the bikes, finish up the work day, and go home. :)

I'll get back to you on Duty.

Zara will be “networking” aka partying. She has xp banked, so she will be picking up a fourth rank in planetary piloting at end of session, saving the rest. I’ll post ic today or tomorrow.