Clan Pack Spoilers - Crab and Dragon

By Tonbo Karasu, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

Letter seems amazing to me, comparable to Blightning in MtG (though maybe that'd be more like loses 2 honor and discards 2 cards). Retreat really feels like it should cost 0 for taking a card in your hand. Also seems like it 'should' be a lion card, but at least it has lion on the art.

I don't know who you guys assassinated, but Lion gets no respect from FFG.

Iwasaki pupil's probably the most interesting of this bunch. This is the card that will give crane honor decks a boost towards viability. Cutting down the card discrepancy between low bids and high bids will help them not fall so far behind. It feels like it should be a conflict card, but I guess they didn't want to bring up the fact that you'd always miss the draw phase the turn you play it like that.

Iwasaki pupil is pretty amazing. For one cost we see the effect lion pay 4 for in Kage.

Also regret would cost 2 if it were lion. We have Tsuko now so all events must cost 2 more fate, it’s the FFG way.

Well, here's the announcement for the Crab pack:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/7/30/defenders-of-rokugan/

If my counting is right, we currently know of more cards from the Crab pack than the Lion one!

I like that the unique Crane is someone we've seen before, even if only briefly.

9 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

If my counting is right, we currently know of more cards from the Crab pack than the Lion one!

I like that the unique Crane is someone we've seen before, even if only briefly.

Does it count though when 3 of those cards are 1x copies that are just different parts of the wall? 😛

10 hours ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

Does it count though when 3 of those cards are 1x copies that are just different parts of the wall? 😛

Even it you only count the three wall cards as 1 card they still previewed 7 Crab and only 6 Lion cards so far.

On 7/31/2019 at 5:50 PM, Tonbo Karasu said:

All I know is that we’re getting more mouse-men cards. That’s a 100% win in my book. #Redwalloftheeast

I have obtained the full listing, and put the names in the first post. in my next post, I will summarise the new ones.

• Kenson Gakka - 5Str Air Province. Honour all defenders after losing.
  • Samurai of Integrity - 3/3/2 for 2.
  • Ardent Omoidasu - 2/3/2 for 3. If an opponent dishonours one of your characters take 2 honour from them.
  • Kitsu Motso - 3/3/2 for 3. Participating, if you have less cards in hand, move someone into the conflict.
  • Akodo Motivator - 5/2/1 for 4. If someone makes you discard from hand, they discard the same number.
  • Matsu Tsuko - 5/4/3 for 5. If this character wins an attack while you're more honourable - break the province.
  • Champions of Yomi - 6/6/2 for 6. If you lose as attacker, bow stronghold to put this into play from discard. If still in play remove from game at end of phase.
  • Hall of Victories - +1 holding. Whoever wins a conflict gets +1 honour.
  • Yasuki Hikaru - 3/2/0 for 3. If defending, move someone with more M home.
  • Doi Kozonubo - 3/4/2 for 4. While participating, no reactions.
  • Isawa Tsuke - 3/3/2 for 4. When resolving Fire ring effect, target all of same cost controlled by 1 player.
  • Moto Ariq - 3/2/0 for 3. Participating, if opponent is more honourable, they must move someone in to conflict.
  • Caravan Guard - 3/2/0 for 1. Pay 1F to attack.
  • Insolent Outcast - 1/1/0 for 1. +1/+1 per honoured opponent character.
  • Tactical Ingenuity - +1/+0 for 0. Attach to Commander. Participating, search top 4 for event.
  • Total Warfare - Attach to unbroken province. 1 Battlefield /province. Loser at this province must sacrifice a participating character.
  • Honour in Battle - If you control a Mil ring, honour someone.
  • Prepare for War - Choose character. Discard any of attachments and status tokens, if it's commander, honour.
  • Right Hand of the Emperor - If more honourable, play from discard. Ready 6 cost of Bushi, put this on bottom of deck.
  • Kitsuki Kagi - After winning conflict, remove up to 3 cards from opponents discard from the game.
  • Those Who Serve - During Dynasty, -1 your character cost this phase.

For info, the unique Crab is the minor character from the story about Lost Samurai attacking a Crab village; the unique Crane is Hotaru's husband; the unique Dragon is Toturi's head Yoriki; the unique Phoenix is the Master of Fire; the unique Scorpion is the Commander of the Thunder Guard from Ryoko Owari and the unique Unicorn is a guard in Khanbulak from the story that introduced Chagatai.

Some part of me wishes the kaiu wall was going to be represented by provinces.

So then we could play a deck literally defending the wall. :D

On 7/31/2019 at 12:50 PM, Tonbo Karasu said:

I just saw that the Crab pack is actually numbered L5C26 and the Lion pack is L5C27. 🤯 Wouldn't that mean the Crab one gets released first, thereby explaining the increase in previews?

The release schedule of the packs was shifted around, to have them all release much quicker then originally intended. This is surely a remnant of the original release schedule.

32 minutes ago, Ascarel said:

I just saw that the Crab pack is actually numbered L5C26 and the Lion pack is L5C27. 🤯 Wouldn't that mean the Crab one gets released first, thereby explaining the increase in previews?

7 minutes ago, Amathul said:

The release schedule of the packs was shifted around, to have them all release much quicker then originally intended. This is surely a remnant of the original release schedule.

Since the last pack in the Inheritance Cycle is labeled L5C24, and the Crab- and Lion Clan Packs are L5C26 and -27, that should mean that the Dragon Clan Pack is L5C25, right?

Good catch about L5C25 -- I had missed that!

I didn't think the schedule acceleration would amount to a reshuffle with confusing catalog numbers (which I use myself to track what I own and what I expect in the coming weeks).

But it does seem to be what's happening. It looks like the Dragon pack will effectively be the last one to be released, but then they already announced the accompanying novella. This would fit with the initial schedule hinted at by these LC5 numbers. It's just not what we'll be getting in the end.

53 minutes ago, Ascarel said:

Good catch about L5C25 -- I had missed that!

I didn't think the schedule acceleration would amount to a reshuffle with confusing catalog numbers (which I use myself to track what I own and what I expect in the coming weeks).

But it does seem to be what's happening. It looks like the Dragon pack will effectively be the last one to be released, but then they already announced the accompanying novella. This would fit with the initial schedule hinted at by these LC5 numbers. It's just not what we'll be getting in the end.

Seekers of Wisdom (L5C25) was next in line to be previewed but FFG switched the order. Also there was no Crane Clan novella with the Masters of Court release.

Updated with the Dragon Clan Pack details.

Interesting to note that Hoshi has the Mythic trait, but Yokuni doesn't. This implies to me that Yokuni isn't Togashi. Maybe Hoshi is?

Also, Togama isn't a shugena :(

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the 5-coster is the Mirumoto daimyo.

Hoshi is half dragon according to old L5R. Thus he is a creature and mythic.

Yes. And Togashi was all dragon - Yokuni in Clan War could turn into the model and stats of the Earth Dragon.

51 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Interesting to note that Hoshi has the Mythic trait, but Yokuni doesn't. This implies to me that Yokuni isn't Togashi. Maybe Hoshi is?

That dragon floating behind Hoshi might be the hint they are trying to give us...……...or it could just be keeping with the old story that Hoshi is half Dragon and they are not wanting to officially spoil that Yokuni is the original Togashi Kami.

The art for Hoshi works for either. I'm not sure what Mystic is supposed to signify though. Maybe because he's half-dragon he's somewhere in-between spiritually? Or maybe Togashi is ready to leave the Yokuni husk and move on to Hoshi.

Well, there's 4 other Mythic characters: Fushicho, Aranat, Champions of Yomi and Hantei XXXVIII. All of these have celestial links.

I wonder what the Crab 6-coster is? An army, a warmachine or a mythic creature. A giant siege crab?

57 minutes ago, Ishi Tonu said:

The art for Hoshi works for either. I'm not sure what Mystic is supposed to signify though. Maybe because he's half-dragon he's somewhere in-between spiritually? Or maybe Togashi is ready to leave the Yokuni husk and move on to Hoshi.

Mitsu is the next ordained host for Togashi. He is wandering the earth, killing time while he waits for his body to be needed.

1 hour ago, DarkHorse said:

Mitsu is the next ordained host for Togashi. He is wandering the earth, killing time while he waits for his body to be needed.

Or so we think. What if Mitsu did the wrong thing by helping Daisetsu and is no longer worthy of being Togashi Kami's new host?

What if Shaisetsu turn Mitsu into was Kokujin was in the old story?

6 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

There is absolutely no proof of this. You are making multiple assumptions based on the last story. Even the idea that Togashi is still alive somehow in this continuity is only due to what we know about AEG's run.

If we make all of our assumptions that way, then Bayushi Dairu is the son of Bayushi Kachiko and Doji Hotaru

2 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

If we make all of our assumptions that way, then Bayushi Dairu is the son of Bayushi Kachiko and Doji Hotaru

We make lots of assumptions until we have ` evidence testimony that contradict it. Right now we have as much to conclude that Mitsu is the next host for the spirit of Yokuni as we we do that he is not, although I do agree that the burden would be on proving that he is rather than the contrary.

In relation to the lack of Mythic on Togashi Yokuni's card, his first version in the old game didn't say Dragon but later versions did. Presumably, if he is Togashi, he's appearing as he wishes to appear.

tbf Yokuni also doesn't have an element listed like the other shugenja, and the reason design gave was because there wasn't room to put all five elements.

I did a bit of comparing and contrasting. All of the Clan Packs so far have had a Conflict character for one of the other clans. None of them have doubled up. I think this leaves ust Crab and Phoenix not to have a Conflict character in an out-of-clan clan pack. I would suggest that this means there's a Phoenix Conflict character in the Crab pack, and a Crab Conflict character in the Dragon pack.