Clan Pack Spoilers - Crab and Dragon

By Tonbo Karasu, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

20 hours ago, shineyorkboy said:

Fuzake is kind of baffling design. He's too expensive for sac fodder, being Unique incentivizes having fate on him which disincentivizes sacing him, and they really should have just made him trigger himself like Vanguard Warrior. Plus with that art he really should have been a courtier.

The Kitsuki makes me nervous. If there's no place for him in Dragon decks it just speaks to how above the curve their cards are in general.

I think you give Jusai more credit than he deserves.

The Winter Court Hosts:

eqzsjihh7xchqubwxeeqqthdy25rael5_hq.jpg

So very scared of Crane now, but hopeful the Lion pack may be just as busted

Matsu Gohei better be when this card enters play break an opponents province.

Festival of Fortunes is perfect for my Lion Honour Swarm deck

1 hour ago, Brekekekiwi said:

Festival of Fortunes is perfect for my Lion Honour Swarm deck

Too expensive, you can't afford it after putting a swarm in play

The OP and spreadsheet are updated.

It's tempting to try playing a Phoenix Glory deck with Festival for the Fortunes.

Festival / Force of the River

It's the new Toturi / Honorable Seppuku

Hmm, so with Courteous Scheming Unicorn could theoretically break stronghold turn 1?

In theory, yes. In practice, I suspect it'll be as or less consistent than Unicorn honor win turn 1.

Courteous Scheming + Curry in Favor, that's strong! And yes I am already an Unicorn who use Crane splash. Also thinking about Gossip... it can be really a good card. Need Support of the Crane, lol

41 minutes ago, Victarion13 said:

Courteous Scheming + Curry in Favor, that's strong! And yes I am already an Unicorn who use Crane splash. Also thinking about Gossip... it can be really a good card. Need Support of the Crane, lol

Luckily for you, it's in the same pack. :D

So excited for this pack! Gossip ftw

Warning, these takes may be chilled, but they are definitely salty:

Master of Keepsakes - A 3/3/2 for 3 Fate is a solid body, but will not take a spot from either Doji Challenger nor the new hotness of Paragon of Grace. Her inability to receive Dishonored status tokens is a solution in search of a problem, and all too frequent will mean absolutely nothing. If there is ever a Crane Shugenja deck, she will see play, but for now? She's binder bait.

Benevolent Host - This is a solid card that you will want to see on Round 1 or 2, when Passing Fate is key. Dropping 4 Fate for a 2/2/2 body is a bad idea, but the Crane have a couple solid 2 Fate Courtiers you can bring out with 1 Fate on them. The real value comes from dropping a Yoshi or Winter Court Hosts for free. Even with the free body at their side, I am not sure this character makes the cut.

Winter Court Hosts - 10 Political skill for 6 Fate with no Attachments (so it cannot be Mark of Shamed or Clouded) (and yes, this is 10 Political skill, because if this is not getting Honored the moment it hits the table, someone is doing something wrong) is nothing to sneeze at. Add to that a consistent card advantage? I expect this card to hit harder than Bayushi Liars, Fusicho, or Aranat, especially when the Crane are on your box and you have to spend cards to not die. This is a game closer.

Gossip - Well. Huh. It was... uh... nice being able to play cards during the Conflict phase while it lasted. Looks like the Crane got their piece to stop HMT blitz dead in its tracks.

Festival for the Fortunes - So, this is a card which will see some hilarious combo deck builds around it, but will ultimately not change the meta that much.

Courteous Scheming - Good card in Crane, due to Magistrate Station. Weird card in HMT Lion and Unicorn who want a Round 1 Stronghold break. I also see this as potentially being a card which will be the go-to splash card in Kyuden Bayushi. Basically, you need the bodies to take advantage of multiple conflicts of the same type each turn. There is a reason the HMT blitz Unicorn is finally taking off, and that reason is Chagatai. I wonder if this card will make the Clarity of Purpose splash into Crane worth it.

1 hour ago, sndwurks said:

Courteous Scheming - Good card in Crane, due to Magistrate Station. Weird card in HMT Lion and Unicorn who want a Round 1 Stronghold break. I also see this as potentially being a card which will be the go-to splash card in Kyuden Bayushi. Basically, you need the bodies to take advantage of multiple conflicts of the same type each turn. There is a reason the HMT blitz Unicorn is finally taking off, and that reason is Chagatai. I wonder if this card will make the Clarity of Purpose splash into Crane worth it.

They already have Curry Favor so Clarity isn't needed

1 hour ago, Schmoozies said:

They already have Curry F l avor so Clarity isn't needed

Fixed that for you

13 minutes ago, Chupacabra52 said:

Fixed that for you

I do try to stop myself from using that pun

As I said nothing

Edited by Victarion13

And now it's got Lion!

Missing cards
L5C18_4.jpg

L5C18_5.jpg

L5C18_21.jpg

L5C18_28.jpg

Letters from the Daimyo is interesting, alongside Spies at Court you could really choke your opponents hand. Throw Beloved Advisor in when your opponent has 3 cards, then you both draw one but use Letters and Spies so they lose their whole hand. Could be a thing? You are dishonoring your guy and using 2 cards/1 fate for that though.

The constant addition of utility cards like Retreat is making conflict deck building for me a problem.

LftD is interesting. It's a fan that costs your opponent two cards when you're done with it for a fate. Maybe not worth it in the end, could see it in a dishonor deck for hand hate. 2 influence kinda hurts it there.

13 hours ago, DarkArk said:

The constant addition of utility cards like Retreat is making conflict deck building for me a problem.

Can I ask why?

33 minutes ago, Victarion13 said:

Can I ask why?

Because there are too many utility cards for 45 spots.