Clan Pack Spoilers - Crab and Dragon

By Tonbo Karasu, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

Love the new “unicorn” 😂 .

I like the new crane, seems like it wants to go in a deck running Kakita Yoshi. Does someone know who was the ‘former Imperial Advisor’ mentioned in its flavor text? I can’t recall if they have mentioned who held the title before Kachiko.

14 minutes ago, FriendofYoda said:

Gaijin Customs the Ivory Unicorn and swing?? Probably meh, but I like it!

Unfortunately, you won't be able to Gaijin Customs and attack with the unicorn again, because there's no action window between resolving the conflict and declaring the next one, thanks to its wording. You'll instead be trying to break with just the Unicorn and a Banzai or something. Would be fun to swing all out with Unicorn and Moto Juro, and then send Juro home if the opponent doesn't try to stop it.

45 minutes ago, sndwurks said:

Ivory Kingdoms Unicorn - Ha. Haha. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Aaaa... Hhhew. I needed that laugh. But seriously, other than Charging this on my opponent to break their third province, and rolling off of it to swing at their box when I am first player? Breakthrough on a body is nothing great. This card just makes me sad that the flavor text isn't a link to donate money to the Ol Pejeta Conservancy in Africa, which is desperately trying to save the rhino from extinction.

Well there is also the fact that it turns that next conflict into a military one regardless of the type you have remaining so its allows for 3 easy military attacks a turn from Unicorn if you want without needing to lose honor fro your Captive Audiences.

44 minutes ago, AradonTemplar said:

Unfortunately, you won't be able to Gaijin Customs and attack with the unicorn again, because there's no action window between resolving the conflict and declaring the next one, thanks to its wording. You'll instead be trying to break with just the Unicorn and a Banzai or something. Would be fun to swing all out with Unicorn and Moto Juro, and then send Juro home if the opponent doesn't try to stop it.

Fav ground! Man if you could give it attachments I would so put that rhino on a horsey

And updated with the rhino. Oh and the other new cards too.

The Rhinocorn is pretty amazing. Allows extra military conflicts, can see that being great in lion and crab.

Does the scorpion character trigger if you make opponent discard a card through a card effect. Like spies at court or earth ring?

Finally a lion whose truly a beast. 6/6 out of conflict is great. 8/8 when honourable. If you can ready him and hit twice in a turn. Wow.

It only just occurred to me that Hyobu is carrying a bunch of poppies :) That art is also very similar to the line sketch of her from the City of Lies box 20 years ago. It's just great :D

1 hour ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

It only just occurred to me that Hyobu is carrying a bunch of poppies :) That art is also very similar to the line sketch of her from the City of Lies box 20 years ago. It's just great :D

I know, right?

<----- such a Shosuro Hyobu fan

Man, Crab got shafted when it came to the Unicorn pack. Here's hoping Crane gives us something worthwhile.

10 hours ago, sndwurks said:

Agasha Taiko - That is an interesting ability. I think that this is going to be a staple of Dragon decks, regardless of anything else. Protecting your Restoration of Balance on T1 to make sure that your opponent has to hit it on T2? Glorious.

She'll definitely be a x3. Not only because she can protect a province you don't want attacked, but when you're down to two row provinces, you can make sure your opponent will hit the most damaging one.

Fingers crossed we get some spoilers this week!

Not sure if the right thread, but anyone hear any rumors about the status of the unicorn novella?

7 hours ago, Horvagab said:

Not sure if the right thread, but anyone hear any rumors about the status of the unicorn novella?

I've been told that Alliance, the North America distributor, sent out an email confirming an April 11th release date for both the Unicorn pack and novella.

13 minutes ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

I've been told that Alliance, the North America distributor, sent out an email confirming an April 11th release date for both the Unicorn pack and novella.

So I'll get hold of them in May in Scotland...

As long as it's legal for the Seattle GK, then it's all good.

The Seattle GK last year came just before Unicorn got a ton of great stuff I really wish I could have had.

I stand corrected. Chagatai it is, Ogedei's son.

Isn't it a little early for Chags?

I'm not complaining, he's all kinds of good, just seems like FFG is just trying to cram in all the greatest hits from the old lore.

36 minutes ago, Ishi Tonu said:

just seems like FFG is just trying to cram in all the greatest hits from the old lore.

That's not even close to true.

52 minutes ago, Ishi Tonu said:

Isn't it a little early for Chags?

I'm not complaining, he's all kinds of good, just seems like FFG is just trying to cram in all the greatest hits from the old lore.

It's probably Chagatai senior, who is Chagatai the Khan of Clan Unicorn's father.

As a Uni loyalist since Imperial, I openly mourn that Chags is in New5R. Worst character in our lore because he had a detrimental effect on the whole community. People being threatened/robbed in parking lots outside of events just for playing a game is not good times. The darkness of that era pushed many people away. New5R has an opportunity to bury that zeitgeist and I hope it does, but I was secretly hoping they'd just not go there at all.

21 minutes ago, Iuchi Toshimo said:

As a Uni loyalist since Imperial, I openly mourn that Chags is in New5R. Worst character in our lore because he had a detrimental effect on the whole community. People being threatened/robbed in parking lots outside of events just for playing a game is not good times. The darkness of that era pushed many people away. New5R has an opportunity to bury that zeitgeist and I hope it does, but I was secretly hoping they'd just not go there at all.

That's a problem with the card design, not the character, though, right?

27 minutes ago, Iuchi Toshimo said:

5 minutes ago, Mangod said:

That's a problem with the card design, not the character, though, right?

No that's a problem with players not being able to separate a game from real life.

1 hour ago, Evilgm said:

That's not even close to true.

We have the clan war and all the rivalries that develop as a result.

The possibility of a Scorpion Clan Coup looming, cuz you know Kachiko likes to be in charge.

Accelerated romance of Daigotsu and Shaihai

Possible, accelerated and revamped War of Heirs

Mantis Clan potentially becoming a great clan

Chags is back early (unless it's Chags senior)

Naga and Ratlings have been discovered.

Shadowlands threat is looming

Granted that some of these things fall in line with what we knew from the lore of the past, while others seems to be used as plot devices to change and move the lore in slightly different directions.

I don't think any of it is bad or being done lazyily. I kind of like that FFG is giving old school players some nuggets the they are familiar with and then changing other things to fit the story they have planned which gives everyone some nice surprises.

But there are things that seem out of place for some of us old timers and even some of the players that joined the CCG later........again, not a bad thing. I like that they are getting these things in the mix as it helps establish FFG's take on what comes next, without actually spoiling anything for players that remember the old lore, because nobody really knows what's going to happen.

We haven't even seen Toku, Ginawa, or any of the big time Oni.

Edited by Ishi Tonu
52 minutes ago, Iuchi Toshimo said:

People being threatened/robbed in parking lots outside of events just for playing a game is not good times.

That's an absolutely astounding claim, and not one I've ever heard before. Could you elaborate, please?

7 minutes ago, Ishi Tonu said:

We have the clan war and all the rivalries that develop as a result.

The possibility of a Scorpion Clan Coup looming, cuz you know Kachiko likes to be in charge.

Accelerated romance of Daigotsu and Shaihai

Possible, accelerated and revamped War of Heirs

Mantis Clan potentially becoming a great clan

Chags is back early (unless it's Chags senior)

Naga and Ratlings have been discovered.

Shadowlands threat is looming

Granted that some of these things fall in line with what we knee from the more of the past, while others seems to be used as plot devices to change and move the more in slightly different directions.

I don't think any of it is bad or being done lazyily. I kind of like that FFG is giving old school players some nuggets the they are familiar with and then changing other things to fit the story they have planned which gives everyone some nice surprises.

Most of them actually aren't that far off from the old period since the game is only set a few years prior to the start of the O5R since we are pre-coup here versus Post Coup for the old game.

Ratlings were around from the very early stages of the game, they just weren't fleshed out as anything more than a non-human attachment with vaguely sinister art work connotations.

Ditto Naga were already beginning to stir at this point (as evidenced with Shazaar being a personality for Naga in the SCC expansion)

Shadowlands threat looming was an issue during the coup and one of the reasons Shoju thought he could get Kisada on side was the Scorpion offering to lend assistance once they secured the throne.

RPG materials also show that Yoritomo was laying ground work for his great clan push as this time as well.

the only really accelerated stories are heirs contesting the throne (although AEG did that a few times first with Toturi's kids, then the race for the throne and finally the two Heirs showdown) and the Daigotsu/Shahai pairing, put with the changes to the storyline that fits better in this period anyway.