Clan Pack Spoilers - Crab and Dragon

By Tonbo Karasu, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

The majority of those things track with the old timeline, but, but not all of those things needed to be in there. Yoritomo and the Shadowlands would have been a really difficult sell not to include, but, it could have been done. FFG could have done nothing more than mention Yoritomo harassing the Crane, or the looming Shadowlands threat in the initial Crab story, or left out the Naga and Ratlings entirely. But, they didn't. They game Yoritomo some additional storytime. The showed the Shadowlands had made it inside Rokugan. They seem to be tackling the story in a way that acknowledges that the game existed long before FFG took the reigns and people have real attachments to certain parts of the lore. FFG owes me/us nothing, however I feel as if they are being respectful to old schoolers like me, while at the same time they seem to leveraging some of the other popular stories to help tie things together into their narrative and help us move beyond things that are expected.

Edited by Ishi Tonu

Gaijin huh...

On 3/31/2019 at 12:35 AM, Saulo Oliveira said:

Spoils of War really seems like a Lion card rather then Unicorn.

Edited by ZebioLizard2
2 hours ago, ZebioLizard2 said:

Nah.....

If it were a Lion card it would only work after losing a conflict.

Lose and revenge is their theme.

;)

6 hours ago, ZebioLizard2 said:

Is that because it has a play condition and gives you a net gain of one card?

4 hours ago, Ishi Tonu said:

Nah.....

If it were a Lion card it would only work after losing a conflict.

Lose and revenge is their theme.

;)

We like losing, and have become very adept at it. But all cards play conditions are from winning. It keeps things interesting...

New cards for the Crane Pack: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/4/10/broken-wings/

l5c18_card_bayushi-dairu.png

l5c18_card_yasuki-fuzake.png

l5c18_card_chukan-nobue.png

l5c18_card_kitsuki-jusai.png

l5c18_card_armament-artisan.png

The Hot Takes (tm) (not actually trademarked)

Bayushi Dairu - Okay, this is a card I like. A little on the expensive side for Fate (3 Fate is rough, but not unreasonable), but he has an ability with some serious legs on it. Want to make sure your tower doesn't get pushed off a bridge? Dairu. Want to shut down Daidoji Uji for a turn? Dairu! Want to play "Hot Honor Potato"? Pull the Honor off your opponent and onto Dairu! Pass that along to someone else using Young Rumormonger! Make this card 4 (?) for why Spidey got done dirty on the RL list.

Yasuki Fuzake - Okay, you're another Shugenja for the Crab, which is good, but you are already Unique, and thus cannot be replaced with Tadaka, which is bad. The best part about this card, for me, is how it might be a Rich Wulf homage, and I am FINE with that.

Chukan Nobue - So, this character is supposed to be an anti-Crane... but she ACTUALLY hits Scorpion the hardest? And shuts down Policy Debate? And Kitsuki Investigator? I am not sure if the current Phoenix have room for a non-Shugenja, but she turns off Restoration of Balance. Because that's what the Phoenix really needed.

Kitsuki Jusai - Oh, man, I can't wait to play this card in my... Dragon rings on Fate deck... that doesn't exist... and may never... Huh. I mean, he's not BAD. He's actually pretty good, for a particular deck type, that does not yet exist. But he's not making it into any Dragon decks yet, and his ability is too telegraphed as is.

Armament Artisan - So, hey, Lion. I heard you really wanted a new Savvy Politician, all for your own. Because now you have one.

Save
Edit

IMO this entire crop falls a little flat.

Dairu's ability is solid but having to be during a conflict and participating makes it fairly tame. 2 glory is a liability.

Fukaze isn't gonna find a home in the current Crab deck so likely waiting on the Crab Pac and hoping he fits whatever their new stronghold theme is.

Same for Jusai

Nobue has the most relevant ability but not being a shugenja will make it a difficult inclusion.

And another bland Mantis card. If it didn't have Mantis, nobody would care.

Crane could end up being pretty pushed after this set of these are what the other clans are getting as compensation.

I have updated the OP. With Warriors of the Wind due out in about 15 hours, I've removed the Unicorn pack from the first post.

A Yasuki shugenja called Fuzake, who's friends with Nezumi? That is such a shout out to Rich.

What is it with the Phoenix and vassal families? That's the second one from our clan, although the Kaito have been promoted to major now.

Looks like we might be getting this soon...in the last three days it jumped from "In Development" to "On the Boat" to "Shipping Now".

Reading the flavour text of these cards, I really want to know more about all of them (except Dairu, he's covered already).

2 hours ago, rzlittle said:

Looks like we might be getting this soon...in the last three days it jumped from "In Development" to "On the Boat" to "Shipping Now".

I've heard that Alliance posted the street date as April 25th...which tracks with the fact that it's updated to Shipping Now on the Upcoming page, since they usually switch to that when product is ~2 weeks out from release.

Kitsuki Jusai also fits decently in the duel deck, and having another playable courtier means fitting in some of the courtier dishonor tech we were missing out on is more viable, which brings the dishonor variant up in competitiveness (potentially).

Fuzake is kind of baffling design. He's too expensive for sac fodder, being Unique incentivizes having fate on him which disincentivizes sacing him, and they really should have just made him trigger himself like Vanguard Warrior. Plus with that art he really should have been a courtier.

The Kitsuki makes me nervous. If there's no place for him in Dragon decks it just speaks to how above the curve their cards are in general.

^

As a Crane fan I'm none too worried about what the other clans are receiving, though they didn't reveal what unicorn will get I imagine because their clan pack is releasing today.

The Unicorn card was spoiled in a livestream some weeks ago:

Shinjo Haruko

Shinjo Haruko.png

So she is a crane and lion harpoon, I find it interesting that she is a conflict character though.

double post

Edited by Kakita Jack
1 hour ago, Kakita Jack said:

So she is a crane and lion harpoon, I find it interesting that she is a conflict character though.

She is also a Unicorn harpoon (the Unicorn have several honoring mechanics), but yeah. That is her best trick right now, to snag someone and bring them in as a Conflict Character. I can see two copies of her possibly getting into a more Aggro Tempo ShS decks.

She is also a Conflict character so the surprise factor can be huge. She may set up some interesting Fallen in Battle plays for Unicorn as a kill action.

53 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

She is also a Conflict character so the surprise factor can be huge. She may set up some interesting Fallen in Battle plays for Unicorn as a kill action.

Stop trying to make FiB a thing. Lol

8 minutes ago, Ishi Tonu said:

Stop trying to make FiB a thing. Lol

Oh I will make that jank work for me some day, just you wait it will be a kill deck to fear.

1 hour ago, Schmoozies said:

Oh I will make that jank work for me some day, just you wait it will be a kill deck to fear.

I can't lie, I've messed around with a FiB deck on more than one occasion, but, right now I have to keep my eyes on the prize and push my Toturi-corn jank to the top. I got one last chance before I switch to the Unicorn swarm deck that all the cool kids are (or are going to be) playing

Edited by Ishi Tonu
22 minutes ago, Ishi Tonu said:

I can't lie, I've messed around with a FiB deck on more than one occasion, but, right now I have to keep my eyes on the prize and push my Toturi-corn jank to the top. I got one last chance before I switch to the Unicorn swarm deck that all the cool kids are (or are going to be) playing

I've tried it in my Lion and if I had a harpoon it would be solid, Unicorn I can see having the Harpoon and gas to make it work