THE MANDALORIAN

By Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun, in X-Wing Off-Topic

OK, moving on because the series didn't draw too much attention to it and I don't either other than the well done.

Just researched the season and some random thoughts:

The stormtrooper transports from Chapter 14 / The Tragedy. OK, so the similarities with the First Order transports are obvious, but they also have a LOT in common with the DX-9 Transport from the X-Wing games, particularly the engine style and placement. Looks like a midway point between the two.

Yeah, a lot of the series was setting up OTHER series; Ahsoka, Rangers of the New Republic, now Boba. But with Baby Yoda successfully handed over, Din now has the opportunity to be the main focus moving forward.

Disappointed that Katy O'Brian's comms officer went out like a punk. As Gideon's second in command she looked like the rare capable Imperial officer. On first viewing of the finale I didn't remember seeing her after the boarding action so I thought she'd escaped. Alas, no. Gunned down like just another stormtrooper.

I was surprised Mando didn't give Grogu the knob from the Razor Crest as a goodbye gift / memento. He did recover it from the wreckage after all.

Speaking of the Razor Crest... F. Mando is now without transport. Seems like his immediate future will involve Mandalore. Bo-Katan is unlikely to let him out of her sight until certain matters have been resolved, one way or another.

Edited by FTS Gecko
9 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

I was surprised Mando didn't give Grogu the knob from the Razor Crest as a goodbye gift / memento. He did recover it from the wreckage after all.

But worldly attachment is not the Jedi thing, right?

Din could always install it in his next ship.

Edited by Rossetti1828

It's worth understanding why, because the solution to better representation is almost always more representation .

With Avengers, a lot of these comics characters date back to the 60s, when media representation was a lot more sexist (and all-white). Not MCU, but check out early Fantastic Four and X-Men, and Sue Storm's and Jean Grey's early character development is pretty much limited to being "the girl." Likewise Janet Van Dyne as a founding Avenger. There's other choices the MCU could have made in drawing from the source material (in 2008, the comic book Guardians of the Galaxy had two lesbian members--Moondragon and Quasar--who didn't make the film at all), but mostly the films centered on the big-name dudes from the early comics. There just weren't many women in the MCU. Grand total of two officially on the Avengers: Black Widow and Scarlet Witch. One of which ends up.

Contrast Manalorian, where at least as many, if not more, of the baddasses Mando meets are women. For the folks who aren't women, Mayfield and Greef Carga are essentially retired, IG is dead, who knows about Axe, and Boba did his bit already. Meanwhile, the women (Cara, Fennec, Bo-Katan, Koska, Ahsoka) are all vastly different. Personality, body type, racial background. Nobody is all that similar, no one was just the token woman in the cast.

(Not that Star Wars is perfect. Rise of Skywalker keeps cramming together the only three Black people in space... and it's what, the first time there are even that many.)

Back to the point: the girl-power-run in Endgame stands out because representation has been so poor . The comparatively few women in the many, many films all meet up in the chaos of a battle. OK. But because Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni have done a pretty good job at making the cast of the Manalorian be realistic, to look a heck of a lot closer to how humanity actually exists, and to all have personalities and distinct characters, it makes sense and feels natural.

More representation usually leads to better representation.

Just now, Rossetti1828 said:

But worldly attachment is not the Jedi thing, right?

Neither is eating other people's babies, didn't stop Grogu though 😂

18 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

It's worth understanding why, because the solution to better representation is almost always more representation .

With Avengers, a lot of these comics characters date back to the 60s, when media representation was a lot more sexist (and all-white). Not MCU, but check out early Fantastic Four and X-Men, and Sue Storm's and Jean Grey's early character development is pretty much limited to being "the girl." Likewise Janet Van Dyne as a founding Avenger. There's other choices the MCU could have made in drawing from the source material (in 2008, the comic book Guardians of the Galaxy had two lesbian members--Moondragon and Quasar--who didn't make the film at all), but mostly the films centered on the big-name dudes from the early comics. There just weren't many women in the MCU. Grand total of two officially on the Avengers: Black Widow and Scarlet Witch. One of which ends up.

Contrast Manalorian, where at least as many, if not more, of the baddasses Mando meets are women. For the folks who aren't women, Mayfield and Greef Carga are essentially retired, IG is dead, who knows about Axe, and Boba did his bit already. Meanwhile, the women (Cara, Fennec, Bo-Katan, Koska, Ahsoka) are all vastly different. Personality, body type, racial background. Nobody is all that similar, no one was just the token woman in the cast.

(Not that Star Wars is perfect. Rise of Skywalker keeps cramming together the only three Black people in space... and it's what, the first time there are even that many.)

Back to the point: the girl-power-run in Endgame stands out because representation has been so poor . The comparatively few women in the many, many films all meet up in the chaos of a battle. OK. But because Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni have done a pretty good job at making the cast of the Manalorian be realistic, to look a heck of a lot closer to how humanity actually exists, and to all have personalities and distinct characters, it makes sense and feels natural.

More representation usually leads to better representation.

This is a pretty decent take, though I will say I did somewhat enjoy the girl power scene in Infinity War quite a bit because it was so utterly unapologetic.

But yes. It immediately stood out to me they were all women, large in part because I... kinda' wondered where the **** Bo-Katan's other lackey went. That was an odd departure for that character, lmao.

Even still, I strongly enjoyed so many (pretty hot) women kicking ***. Except for Gina Carano. She can find the nearest object to run into and do her best impression of a certain blue hedgehog at full force at it. B***h.

1 hour ago, FTS Gecko said:

OK, moving on because the series didn't draw too much attention to it and I don't either other than the well done.

Just researched the season and some random thoughts:

The stormtrooper transports from Chapter 14 / The Tragedy. OK, so the similarities with the First Order transports are obvious, but they also have a LOT in common with the DX-9 Transport from the X-Wing games, particularly the engine style and placement. Looks like a midway point between the two.

Yeah, a lot of the series was setting up OTHER series; Ahsoka, Rangers of the New Republic, now Boba. But with Baby Yoda successfully handed over, Din now has the opportunity to be the main focus moving forward.

Disappointed that Katy O'Brian's comms officer went out like a punk. As Gideon's second in command she looked like the rare capable Imperial officer. On first viewing of the finale I didn't remember seeing her after the boarding action so I thought she'd escaped. Alas, no. Gunned down like just another stormtrooper.

Speaking of the Razor Crest... F. Mando is now without transport. Seems like his immediate future will involve Mandalore. Bo-Katan is unlikely to let him out of her sight until certain matters have been resolved, one way or another.

The stormtrooper transport also looked like a reaper without wings, so actually a good blend of 3 designs, well done.

Saeson 3 could have Jin fighting every last Mandalorian trying to seek the throne, and all he want to do us just throw the **** sword away (he will go to Luke and learn how :p)

1 hour ago, KCDodger said:

Except for Gina Carano. She can find the nearest object to run into and do her best impression of a certain blue hedgehog at full force at it. B***h.

F* no, Gina is hot!! She has that amazone wibe going on, love it. If you dont want her, I will take her :D

Well, it's the combination that she's been actively on the side of the Coronavirus, plus has been doubling-down on her transphobic garbage.

4 hours ago, Dwing said:

Exactly, but I feel the whole nerds don't like strong female characters angle is such a contrived narrowminded opinion, as there is strong female characters im most nerd franchises. Just give us believable motivated characters, and sex don't matter to the general nerd.

Nerds were ******* about Star Trek being diverse. Nerds are not necessarily the most... self aware bunch.

1 hour ago, Sithborg said:

Nerds were ******* about Star Trek being diverse. Nerds are not necessarily the most... self aware bunch.

Hmm not sure diverse and automatically hating female characters is the same, sure most franchises have mostly male characters and its fine to start changeing that, you just can't cheat and say you have to love the female characters, if you write shite characters.

6 hours ago, KCDodger said:

Except for Gina Carano. She can find the nearest object to run into and do her best impression of a certain blue hedgehog at full force at it. B***h.

Now then, I've seen you on here enough to appreciate where you're coming from and I'm very much same team, ( well, not quite, but you know ;) ), but consider this- hatred for those different to us is the enemy, right?

Gina was an unbiased baby at one point, just like the rest of us.

Even Darth Vader saw the light at the end of the tunnel.

Edited by Cuz05
21 hours ago, KCDodger said:

Okay but should they? Honestly? I don't think so, personally.

After a day of framing a response, Yes. Because that's what artists do when they work with someone else's creation, or as part of a collaborative ongoing creation. Be it graphical art, or dance, or music, or glassblowing, or whatever. You pay homage to the source while providing your own spin. And in this case it was a Disney creation doing a variation on theme of another Disney creation. It may have been a George philosophy. But it's a general artistic philosophy before that. I think if I had left George's name and particular word for it off that last post, nothing would have changed about the sentiment, and you may not have been so critical/rejecting of it. I think if I had wrote 'Variations on theme' as a phrase, or even just 'Jazz', it would have likely flown under your radar, but said the exact same thing, and not pinged your GL hate-o-meter.

17 hours ago, Sciencius said:

F* no, Gina is hot!! She has that amazone wibe going on, love it. If you dont want her, I will take her :D

Hot doesn't matter when she's a transphobe and anti masker. I love huge strong women as much as the next person, but even the hottest of women are not immune to my ire.

16 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Well, it's the combination that she's been actively on the side of the Coronavirus, plus has been doubling-down on her transphobic garbage.

Thanks, Fig. I can always count on you to be a real one.

11 hours ago, Cuz05 said:

Now then, I've seen you on here enough to appreciate where you're coming from and I'm very much same team, ( well, not quite, but you know ;) ), but consider this- hatred for those different to us is the enemy, right?

Gina was an unbiased baby at one point, just like the rest of us.

Even Darth Vader saw the light at the end of the tunnel.

No, not different than us. Intolerant and indifferent to our suffering and plights and willing to encourage more brutish carelessness.

When a Viking calls you careless, you've made a terrible mistake.

That is worthy of ire. I don't believe in end of life redemption either. A few nice words and a sparkle in the eyes cannot undo a lifetime of causing misery. Not saying that such is Gina's, case, but well. Vader's "Redemption" is, let's just call it personal and only to Luke.

11 hours ago, ForceSensitive said:

After a day of framing a response, Yes. Because that's what artists do when they work with someone else's creation, or as part of a collaborative ongoing creation. Be it graphical art, or dance, or music, or glassblowing, or whatever. You pay homage to the source while providing your own spin. And in this case it was a Disney creation doing a variation on theme of another Disney creation. It may have been a George philosophy. But it's a general artistic philosophy before that. I think if I had left George's name and particular word for it off that last post, nothing would have changed about the sentiment, and you may not have been so critical/rejecting of it. I think if I had wrote 'Variations on theme' as a phrase, or even just 'Jazz', it would have likely flown under your radar, but said the exact same thing, and not pinged your GL hate-o-meter.

Please, I hardly hate George Lucas. If nothing else I would thank him for all he's done were I to meet him personally and probe his mind about the creative process of writing Star Wars. It would be an interesting discussion to be certain, one writer to another.

Homage is one thing, but a season of fan service is another. The Like-Poetry-It-Rhymes philosophy is... Foolhardy.

Edited by KCDodger
2 minutes ago, KCDodger said:

I don't believe in end of life redemption either.

It wasnt a religious statement, just a note that no one is immune to change.

The point is, if there are 2 sides of the fence, those who disrespect others, and those who do not, which side do you choose?

But I won't derail any further and seriously, more power to you and your choices.

Still undecided about the whole use of CGI thing.

Obviously I'm on record as saying I was happy with Leia and Tarkin's CGI appearance in Rogue One previously, but I vastly prefer practical effects to CGI, wherever possible, and I wonder if there could have been any other ways to approach Luke's cameo. It'll be great to see a featurette or documentary about the making of the scene.

The Dark Troopers looked an order of magnitude better than the Cylons in BSG, but still nowhere near as good as the practical effects used for the Stormtroopers and aliens in the series.

Obviously so much work in the Mandalorian is done on green screen stages, and the environments are usually nailed 100%. It's a balancing act, I guess.

1 hour ago, FTS Gecko said:

Still undecided about the whole use of CGI thing.

Obviously I'm on record as saying I was happy with Leia and Tarkin's CGI appearance in Rogue One previously, but I vastly prefer practical effects to CGI, wherever possible, and I wonder if there could have been any other ways to approach Luke's cameo. It'll be great to see a featurette or documentary about the making of the scene.

The Dark Troopers looked an order of magnitude better than the Cylons in BSG, but still nowhere near as good as the practical effects used for the Stormtroopers and aliens in the series.

Obviously so much work in the Mandalorian is done on green screen stages, and the environments are usually nailed 100%. It's a balancing act, I guess.

I'm so mixed. In general, I'd love to see at least screen tests for recasts, but no commitment either way recast vs cgi.

• With Leia's Hope, I'm OK with it because it's so quick, but if they'd just had Billie Lourd in the Leia costume, that would have been touching in it's own way.
  • For Tarkin, dude was major enough in the film that I wish they just recast. Charles Dance would have been an amazing Tarkin.
  • For Luke... I'd be fine with it in general, but the specific moment of handing our beautiful, beloved puppet over, maybe a person would have been better. Is CGI Luke someone you trust with a child? I bet 1983 Mark Hamill is, however. There just isn't the same connection, not like between Grogu and Pedro with his helmet off.

That said, I'd be a fan of more purely animated content. I'd love to see a movie or miniseries of the OT cast and the Ghost crew teaming up for a mission of some kind, just after RotJ, and having that be a Rebels-style animation would be perfect. It'd be cool to see the voice cast of Rebels in good costumes and make-up as their normal characters, but if that was little more than a featurette, I'm also fine with that.

The CGI Luke was just so bad looking. Like, 1st draft on the editing floor bad. I would have much rather had a real lookalike actor in there or **** couldn't they hire one of those youtubers that does the deepfakes? Those deepfakes look so much better than what they are doing. It took me way out of what was an awesome episode.

I still have to say my favorite was the 1st episode. It was epic in scale and felt like its own little movie. There was also some more weight to the action. Which is probably my main critic of this season. None of the good guys so much as stub a toe. Sure, Mando gets thrown around a bit and punched repeatedly in the head, but he is no more worse for wear. I was actually expecting a casualty of some kind going into this last episode, even if its just someone getting wounded. The plot armor is way too literal.

In the first season we had poor Kuiil die, IG-11, and Din getting blown the heck up. Just seemed like they put on the kid gloves for his season. The "other" guy Mandalorian would have been a perfect redshirt candidate. You would then still have your all female fire team at the end, of which seemed a bit deliberate since he was just written out of the story. Not saying it was a bad thing as all of these ladies are believable badasses. ****, two of them made an actual living throwing people around.

I think I preferred the 1st season overall even though in this one we got all the bombshell cameos and the more "epic" moments. Which, I hope we are done with the Jedi's now... please?

Poor Grogu...

jedi-temple-luke.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=960

Edited by Jo Jo
23 hours ago, KCDodger said:

I will say I did somewhat enjoy the girl power scene in Infinity War quite a bit because it was so utterly unapologetic.

That's exactly why I didn't like it. 0% subtlety. It didn't make sense. All of the major female characters stopped fighting to line up for a glamour shot, when Capt. Marvel can (and did) handle the situation by herself. Just have women be competent and give them screen time to do it, and it will be noticed. No need for flashing arrows, red circles, and a marquee that says "LOOK, LOOK, LOOK!".

However, I did enjoy it in Mando because it didn't call any attention to it. 4 women tearing through a whole capital ship. Thumbs up.

The Genius of a fan who edited Bill Burr’s stand up on top of this Mado scene

2 hours ago, Jo Jo said:

Poor Grogu...

jedi-temple-luke.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=960

Maybe he's in the back--he's short.

500?cb=20200120152934

Or like, Ahsoka survives the first Jedi Purge. Grogu could survive the 2nd one. Simple as that.

Well, Grogu as a miniscule Knight of Ren appeals to me. Just off causing weird mess.

Or, sequels remake, post school burning. Kylo and Grogu, bumming around the galaxy, bickering, getting into scrapes, telling Snoke to do one. The new Jay and Silent Bob.

-My last Dad had a better hat than that.

-Shut it, snotling. Or watch me burn down your new bedroom down too.

I didn't even realize that it was CG for Luke at first. Not surprising since I had the same experience initially with Tarkin and Leia. I don't know if it's just my complete surrender to suspend my own disbelief or what. Maybe desensitization thanks to all the other CG effects? But it's took a few viewings to see the clues that they were deep fakes on all three cases, after someone mentioned it of course.

I don't get why anyone's bothered by it either. To me SW had not just been a great story, but also a ongoing tech demo and development platform. My inner techie lights up when I see some new graphical art science. For me awesome new CG is a treat. And as the novelty of some older practical effects fade, so does their impact. Like puppets? Fine, but enhance em first please.

Y'all still at the top of the hill while I'm zooming down into the uncanny valley enjoyment like a Jamaican bobsled team! 😆 🤣

6 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

That's exactly why I didn't like it. 0% subtlety. It didn't make sense. All of the major female characters stopped fighting to line up for a glamour shot, when Capt. Marvel can (and did) handle the situation by herself. Just have women be competent and give them screen time to do it, and it will be noticed. No need for flashing arrows, red circles, and a marquee that says "LOOK, LOOK, LOOK!".

However, I did enjoy it in Mando because it didn't call any attention to it. 4 women tearing through a whole capital ship. Thumbs up.

Sorry I must have missed all the guy power scenes for the last entire series

32 minutes ago, KCDodger said:

Sorry I must have missed all the guy power scenes for the last entire series

I was under the impression that the whole point was equality. What is done, has been done. We can't change that. What's important is what we do now.

Normalizing the experience of equal male and female and even non binary epic moments and strength is what we want, right? For that to just be an every day thing, right? To not even be a discussion in the future, right? For it to just... Be. To do, Without trying.

I see it as we're creating a new normal. One that sees equalities, and not differences. This is the way. And I for one like this way.