THE MANDALORIAN

By Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun, in X-Wing Off-Topic

12 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Still undecided about the whole use of CGI thing.

Obviously I'm on record as saying I was happy with Leia and Tarkin's CGI appearance in Rogue One previously, but I vastly prefer practical effects to CGI, wherever possible, and I wonder if there could have been any other ways to approach Luke's cameo. It'll be great to see a featurette or documentary about the making of the scene.

The Dark Troopers looked an order of magnitude better than the Cylons in BSG, but still nowhere near as good as the practical effects used for the Stormtroopers and aliens in the series.

Obviously so much work in the Mandalorian is done on green screen stages, and the environments are usually nailed 100%. It's a balancing act, I guess.

Speaking of BSG, I laughed at the Viper launch/landing scene callback in this episode, with Katee Sackhoff.

4 hours ago, Sithborg said:

Speaking of BSG, I laughed at the Viper launch/landing scene callback in this episode, with Katee Sackhoff.

LMAO that's great. I wasn't a BSG fan so I never would have even thought of that 😂 ☺️

u6hziwprt7661.jpg

Not to mention The Child, who is 50+

Now you kids get off our lawn !!!

4 hours ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

Not to mention The Child, who is 50+

Now you kids get off our lawn !!!

...somewhat you're saying is, we could have had more Hamill and less CGI?

On 12/20/2020 at 3:47 PM, KCDodger said:

Sorry I must have missed all the guy power scenes for the last entire series

I'm not certain I follow. Were there any scenes that specifically shined a light that "these are men and that is why this is cool"? I submit there aren't any, and that is how I want my girl power scenes. Completely normalized, treating women equally, not as some special exception. Valkyrie and Hela in Thor: Ragnarok are great examples of this. Both are competent and interesting characters, that assert themselves above Thor and overpower Thor, and it is just accepted. No fanfare.

I am not saying there are not moments to shine a light on inequality. Far from it. But it can be tastefully done and in a way that serves the plot. For a good example, see Eowyn defeating the Witch-King of Angmar. The Witch-King had a false sense of security as he believed Glorfindel's prophetic assertion that he would not fall by the hands of man. But in his hubris, he never considered that to mean that a women could kill him, and if he did, he didn't consider that a woman would be brave enough to fight and slay him. But Eowyn was, leading to Eowyn's badass moment of "But no living man am I!/I am no man!" (book/movie).

Comparing Return of the King to Avengers, there were plot reasons that Eowyn was in the middle of the battle and why that moment specifically required a woman. In End Game, Spider-Man gets knocked to the edges of the battle, and for some reason every heroine in the series was there, too, not fighting in the battle. Why? What plot sense does that make? Just spitballing to keep the girl power scene but not make it seem like the women were sitting on the sidelines, have Captain Marvel take the gauntlet and have only the women protect her on the way to Scott's van. Showcase each one on the Captain's path to the van, stopping assaults on her along the way. This way the heroines aren't pulled out of the battle, but are still shown as competent and vital to the battle. Drop the fanfare, insert subtlety.

Aside from this moment, I think End Game did well with this. Black Widow is shown as the leader of the Avengers post-snap, organizing the superfolks, not Captain America. Hawkeye and Widow are treated as equals, and for what it matters, she outsmarts him. Scarlet Witch and Captain Marvel are each shown single-handedly winning a fight against Thanos, something the combined might of Thor, Iron Man, and a Thor-ified Captain America could not manage as a team. And no attention is brought to to any of those. The two most powerful Avengers are women, but it's not shoved in our face. Very cool.

Edited by 5050Saint
36 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

...somewhat you're saying is, we could have had more Hamill and less CGI?

How does that make sense? Look would be what? 27? 28? At that point. I love Mark Hamil, but there’s no way to get him to look young without technology, and for the amount of time he was on screen, having to factor in logistics of actors’ schedule and covid, what we got was probably the best option.

j8co56fgmj661.jpg

The Book of Boba Fett, a new Original series, staring Temuera Morrison and Ming-Na Wen and executive produced by Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni and Robert Rodriguez, set within the timeline of The Mandalorian, is coming to Disney Plus Dec. 2021

I assume Scum faction ships finally coming in.

27 minutes ago, Jo Jo said:

VIDEO!

Honestly, it doesn't look much better. Their deepfakes of Harrison on Han from Solo are great, and the Tarkin in Rogue One and the CLU from Tron Legacy are pretty dang good. It looks like the deepfake over CGI isn't as strong, but is still an improvement.

6 hours ago, Jo Jo said:

The original one was clearly a Deep Fake too. Much better than Tarkin.

But this guy in his basement was able to do, again, a better job.

Now FFG is terminating theses forums, we need to find alternatives. None will be as good as what it have here, still, I don't want to loose you guys.

I created a group in Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/820147825434754

Come join me.

19 hours ago, Odanan said:

Now FFG is terminating theses forums, we need to find alternatives. None will be as good as what it have here, still, I don't want to loose you guys.

I created a group in Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/820147825434754

Come join me.

I all for keeping us going somewhere, and where @Odanan goes I would follow ... but alas, even if I am in the prime age group to use it, I have never had a FB page. Kind of a badge of honor there.

And this situation would make me think of it but FB is quite jarring for me.

Is it out of the question to start a brand new site amongst ourselves?

22 minutes ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

Is it out of the question to start a brand new site amongst ourselves?

All free forums I know are... not good.

26 minutes ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

I all for keeping us going somewhere, and where @Odanan goes I would follow ... but alas, even if I am in the prime age group to use it, I have never had a FB page.

Just. Do. It.

(I will be there)

3 minutes ago, Odanan said:

All free forums I know are... not good.

As I am technologically advanced as a learning impaired Racor would you help moderate something ?

While I'm not bad at internet stuff, I, too have never had a FB account. Just don't want it.

Wanted to pop in and throw out a theory about Yoda's species

I'm not aware of any official Canon that states what his species is or where they are from? I'm sure if it has been said, someone here will let me know.

While I dont want to think about Yoda and Yarddle, there is that chance that the child was from there.

I think that their species are created by the Force. I dont think there is a planet of them or that many in the galaxy. I'm sure I'm not the first person to have this theory, but its what I've been thinking.

Thoughts? Thank you

4 hours ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

As I am technologically advanced as a learning impaired Racor would you help moderate something ?

Sure.

8 minutes ago, Odanan said:

Sure.

May I send you my Whatsap sir.

9 hours ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

May I send you my Whatsap sir.

Of course. PM me.

On 12/20/2020 at 7:27 PM, Sithborg said:

Oh yeah, I definitely caught that, it was great.

Don't miss this video:

On 12/21/2020 at 3:07 PM, That Blasted Samophlange said:

How does that make sense? Look would be what? 27? 28? At that point. I love Mark Hamil, but there’s no way to get him to look young without technology, and for the amount of time he was on screen, having to factor in logistics of actors’ schedule and covid, what we got was probably the best option.

To be fair, Mark is a VERY young looking 69 year old.

1280px-Mark_Hamill_(48419236062)_Cropped

I hope I look as young when I reach his age.

And personally, I don't give much of a fig about the in&universe time difference, I'd rather have the actual actor wherever we can, while we still can than a completely CGI one. And I'm sure a little bit of CGI de-aging, limiting exposure (not pulling down the hood) and creative use of lighting and camera angles would have worked a lot better than the full-on deepfake did.

Loving Mark's tweets, btw. I hope he had plenty of involvement in this, be side it's clear he loves the role and wants to be involved as much as we want him to be.