STAR WARS: RESISTANCE Discussion Thread!

By That Blasted Samophlange, in X-Wing Off-Topic

Maybe it's the trailer, but the animation looks really cheap without contrast and the humor and dialogues seem not only tailored to children, but also pretty childish. Which seems odd when you consider that Disney movies are normally very mature, even if their target audience are kids and both Clone Wars and Rebels had outstanding animations.

4 hours ago, Ignithas said:

Maybe it's the trailer, but the animation looks really cheap without contrast and the humor and dialogues seem not only tailored to children, but also pretty childish. Which seems odd when you consider that Disney movies are normally very mature, even if their target audience are kids and both Clone Wars and Rebels had outstanding animations.

Why is being childish, and being aimed at children, a bad thing?

I’ve found the actual animation so far is seemigly quite good. I'm actually seperating the actual animation process and the style in this critique. While the style may not be for everyone, I feel it is smooth, and characters are moving fairly well.

So, and this is just conjecture, I'm guessing at somepoint the Red First Order pilot enters a race, with a bet with the owner of the colossus station, which if they win the First Order gets the station. Of course the First Order will cheat.

10 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

So, and this is just conjecture, I'm guessing at somepoint the Red First Order pilot enters a race, with a bet with the owner of the colossus station, which if they win the First Order gets the station. Of course the First Order will cheat.

Or the big bad group that doesn't care about anyone else might just take the station. Why take the effort to race them when you can just fly down, wipe out the inhabitants and take what you want? Was sort of their gameplan at Jakku for that one village Poe was at.

5 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

Or the big bad group that doesn't care about anyone else might just take the station. Why take the effort to race them when you can just fly down, wipe out the inhabitants and take what you want? Was sort of their gameplan at Jakku for that one village Poe was at.

Depends on the exposure of the station.

First Order want to stay hidden and not enter in a open conflict until they’re ready. Attacking a station could expose them.

Meanwhile, Jakku was a backwater planet that nobody cared about, attacking a small village there would not expose them. And by the time they attack on Jakku, they are ready to come out anyway.

1 minute ago, Animewarsdude said:

Reasoning is that the First Order is not considered a threat. They have not revealed their military might yet. Full on military strike against a large, possibly well known, station that probably has high powered transmitters for showing races across the galaxy would cause the Repiblic to ACTUALLY listen to Leia and the Resistance. Wheras as slaughtering a bunch of junkers/hermits on a backwater world with no such way to convey what happened is certainly within their scope.

Also, it is a show for kids. While yes, kids can deal with a lot more than most give them credit for, why must it be forced on them? The show doesn't need necessarily need death and destruction.

32 minutes ago, Red Castle said:

Depends on the exposure of the station.

First Order want to stay hidden and not enter in a open conflict until they’re ready. Attacking a station could expose them.

Meanwhile, Jakku was a backwater planet that nobody cared about, attacking a small village there would not expose them. And by the time they attack on Jakku, they are ready to come out anyway.

Fair, just based of Jakku, Rose's comments, and their Storm trooper corps I think the FO is very much a 'Take what it wants' sort.

32 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Also, it is a show for kids. While yes, kids can deal with a lot more than most give them credit for, why must it be forced on them? The show doesn't need necessarily need death and destruction.

Wasn't say kill them and the like, just that it would likely make more sense for them to just take it and not race them for it. Though, we will find out come October.

2 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

Fair, just based of Jakku, Rose's comments, and their Storm trooper corps I think the FO is very much a 'Take what it wants' sort.

Wasn't say kill them and the like, just that it would likely make more sense for them to just take it and not race them for it. Though, we will find out come October.

What exactly was meant by ‘wipe out the inhabitants’ other than killing them?

Yes, the first order DOES take what it wants, with the caveat that they choose targets who are inconsequential to the republic or are so far removed that no one knows about it.

The first order is known, they just aren't considered a threat except by Leia (a pariah at that time) and the resistance.

18 hours ago, redxavier said:

That is a cool shot.

On 8/29/2018 at 8:32 AM, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Kel dor pilot!

And in yellow, my favorite colour!

45 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

What exactly was meant by ‘wipe out the inhabitants’ other than killing them?

My bad, was multi-tasking while replying.

1 hour ago, Animewarsdude said:

Well they do, but while staying in the shadow. That's why I said that it depends on the exposure of the station.

In the case of Jakku, there's a reason they killed all the villagers; It's to leave no witness. As for Rose, she came from a world that the First Order exploited to build their war-machine, a mining colony. We don't really know how much this world was known, or if it was perceived as important, to the rest of the galaxy.

So, if the rest of the galaxy don't care about the station, I could easily see the First Order taking the station by force. But if it's a well known station, renown to bring entertainement to all the richer worlds, I think the First Order would take a more discreet approach to take the station.

star-wars-resistance-characters-bucket-600x600.jpg star-wars-resistance-characters-kaz-600x600.jpg star-wars-resistance-characters-yeager-600x600.jpg star-wars-resistance-characters-tam-600x600.jpg star-wars-resistance-characters-neeku-600x600.jpg

8 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

Is it wrong I like the rodian? Because I like the rodian.

20 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Is it wrong I like the rodian? Because I like the rodian.

No, did you see who is voicing him? He is already best character.

49 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

A couple of things to note about this trailer.

One it seems they refer to everyone on the station as "Reluctant Resistance Members". Two the main ship that Kaz flies CAN go into space. And several of the other ships do have astromechs, seems like these aren't speeders but actual starfighters, lot of potential Resistance, First Order, and Scum ships. Also, I think I may have seen the Khir-whatever in the trailer, could be wrong.

Also, Red T-70.

Wait, Donald Faison is voicing the rodian? That is awesome.

Rodian is probably my favorite race in the Star Wars universe (probably because I was plying one in SWG), so I was already biased to like the character.

That Donald Faison aka Turk is voicing him is too perfect!

I am

LOVING

These characters.

Well, calling them Resistance fighters is a good sign we will get them to flesh out the Resistance.

Getting new ships is nice but I can't say the same for the show. The humor seems very out of place for SW. It doesn't help that the characters appear to be as obnoxious as Jar Jar.

I'd love a SW show focused on pilots but want one that's not targeting extremely young children. I'll give it a chance but my expectations have never been so low for SW.

59 minutes ago, TechnoGolem said:

Getting new ships is nice but I can't say the same for the show. The humor seems very out of place for SW. It doesn't help that the characters appear to be as obnoxious as Jar Jar.

I'd love a SW show focused on pilots but want one that's not targeting extremely young children. I'll give it a chance but my expectations have never been so low for SW.

Which is odd considering that it airs at 10 PM when most of their target audience would likely be asleep. I do have to wonder which ships will end up making it to X-Wing considering they mostly all seem to be one offs though I guess we do have both versions of the Phantom in the game.

1 hour ago, TechnoGolem said:

Granted its hard to tell how long the show will last but a few times they have mentioned this is before the the First Order does too much. These characters are just mostly having fun and goofing off, enjoying peace time. For all we know the First Order may destroy the station by the end of this season.

Season 1 of Rebels was sunshine mostly compared to stuff later in the show. I think as this show gets closer to TFA it will start getting more and more serious, I could be wrong but that is what i think.

Just now, KiraYamatoSF said:

Granted its hard to tell how long the show will last but a few times they have mentioned this is before the the First Order does too much. These characters are just mostly having fun and goofing off, enjoying peace time. For all we know the First Order may destroy the station by the end of this season.

Season 1 of Rebels was sunshine mostly compared to stuff later in the show. I think as this show gets closer to TFA it will start getting more and more serious, I could be wrong but that is what i think.

Most of my dislike comes from the "humor" of the main character. He feels more like Wile E. Coyote than a SW character.The goofy face he makes when hit in the face just makes me cringe.

Robotech had a similar style character that was handled a lot better. Mostly because Rick Hunter wasn't a comedy relief character.

7 hours ago, Sithborg said:

Well, calling them Resistance fighters is a good sign we will get them to flesh out the Resistance.

I figured the show title gave that away.

4 hours ago, TechnoGolem said:

Most of my dislike comes from the "humor" of the main character. He feels more like Wile E. Coyote than a SW character.The goofy face he makes when hit in the face just makes me cringe.

Robotech had a similar style character that was handled a lot better. Mostly because Rick Hunter wasn't a comedy relief character.

No, Rick was just a completely insufferable doof half the time.