The Next LCG

By Radix2309, in Living Card Games

3 minutes ago, Duciris said:

From the OP:

It got real today ( Jacking Out - Announcing the End of Android: Netrunner ), now they're down 2 LCGs.

I think it is now much more likely that they'll be making a new LCG, and that it will be with one of their existing, in-house IPs. It is also possible that it could be a new original IP, but I feel that would be a little less likely. (It'd crack me up if next year they announced a new Android LCG.)

I count 4: Arkham, LotR, AGoT, and L5R.

The problem is to get good and interesting consept. And so that you don’t lose lisensse.

Vampire and Dune Are big multiplayer games, but it is very hard (impossible to get lisense).

their own games don`t have so big audience, except arkham mythos, but in that mythos there Are allready a lot of games in there.

Now we have two co-ops that Are doing fine. Lotr and arkham. No reason to make more just yet.

two other Are competative. Both have two player and multiplayer options...

So there seems to be enough of those games too... what new there could be...

we have now one horror, three fantasy games now... So scifi one would be one that is missing now.

So what we have left... start wars, Star trek and Dune as big names. Twiligth imperium from own gategory. After Netrunner Twiligth imperium would be my bet. Though I am not interested in buying that and that may be problem Also in big picture... Star wars has too Many games already and Main reason why Lcg version did go away.

Star track would be big enough, but who own lisense now? Dune lisense is impossible to get... How about black horse... something new. Firefly lcg, Alien Lcg, terminator lcg, battle Star galactica lcg, babylon5 lcg, matrix lcg, star Gate lcg... not likely though...

i Expect that no new Lcg for a while. It takes time what ever They Are planning after losing Netrunner.

Edited by Hannibal_pjv

Hello,

I would like to suggest that they create Conquest 2.0 with The Twilight Imperium Universe. It couldn't get any more Fantasy Flight than really making every detail of that world come alive. They could include about six races in the core box and a new race in each deluxe expansion.

FFG people, make this happen! You know you want to!

Edited by terryfuller

Star Wars has been replaced by Destiny.

The state of LCGs is rather uncertain now with 3 of them canceled, and an alternative production model that unfortunately is happening to be doing very well (but I won't ever buy into it).

We have got to get more LCGs because it opens up the gameplay space to people who want to enjoy card-based decision making, without hearing about how, "This card costs $.50, and this card costs $44." Also, players having the exact same pool of cards to draw from really demonstrates that you are competing on an even playing field between newbies and veterans.

For example, during one of my very first games of Netrunner on Jinteki dot net, I ran like my pants caught fire and pulled enough agendas from HQ to win on turn two, while my veteran opponent screamed that I played the game incorrectly by not setting up first. Sure, that game qualifies as a total fluke, but I had equal footing with that other more experienced player.

FFG has got to keep the LCG fires burning.

Terrinothw ill get an LCG once LotR ran its course or they lose the licence to it.

I could see a reimplementantion of Conquest in the Rex universe. They don't have a SciFi one right now so this one would be a reasonable gues.

Another LCG in the Android universe could work well since they got so much art for it already.

The Tannhauser IP is owned by FFG as well no? Something in this setting would be refreshing.

Edited by Hellvlad
3 hours ago, terryfuller said:

We have got to get more LCGs because it opens up the gameplay space to people who want to enjoy card-based decision making, without hearing about how, "This card costs $.50, and this card costs $44." Also, players having the exact same pool of cards to draw from really demonstrates that you are competing on an even playing field between newbies and veterans.

For example, during one of my very first games of Netrunner on Jinteki dot net, I ran like my pants caught fire and pulled enough agendas from HQ to win on turn two, while my veteran opponent screamed that I played the game incorrectly by not setting up first. Sure, that game qualifies as a total fluke, but I had equal footing with that other more experienced player.

FFG has got to keep the LCG fires burning.

Well I hate to say this but it is not just the LCG as that is a trademarked of FFG (hence why Doomtown is called a Set Card Game aka SCG) but the whole business idea of sorted booster packs in place of randomized booster packs needs to be preserved. But it has been proven that in both print and virtual media randomizing the contents tends to generate more profit. Hearthstone almost had a similar set up with their Adventures, but that has given way to just straight up randomized booster cards.

LCG success breaks down as:

FFG designs a quality LCG. Thousands and thousands of players buy in. FFG makes enough money from the game to allow the sorted booster packs to continue.

The problem with CCG's is that they need to reach a certain saturation to be profitable. Most CCGs don't reach that, which is why there are thousands that have failed with only MTG, Yugioh, and Pokemone left as major competitors. Destiny succeeded due to brand, but i doubt any of the other properties can sustain a CCG model.

LCG's have a fixed cost and predictable sales. You can predict how well it will sell.

Even though i would like a battletech LCG, i think they should just make LCGs based on their own IP from now on to avoid premature death like netrunner.

5 hours ago, DarkFate said:

Even though i would like a battletech LCG, i think they should just make LCGs based on their own IP from now on to avoid premature death like netrunner.

battletech is the last IP they should invest in at the moment. theyre in a loooong ongoing court case to prove the ownership of their art against harmony gold.

I want a sci-fi co op.

Terrinoth gonna have his own LCG... they are preparing the terrain with a lot of content, from genesys, fiction, heroes of terrinoth... Maybe they can reimplement INVASION? thats gonna be great, also have a nice multiplayer system!

Also, they can make Terrinoth "futuristic" as 40K for WH... that dont gonna surprise me much...

Its all about speculation! but, the licence issue IS A PROBLEM, so i can see FFG making products with his own IPs

Why would there be a Terrinoth LCG when FFG just announced a reskinned WHQ using that universe?

because they are tottally differents products, the WHQTCG reskin is a cooperative game, and Terrinoth is a licence 100% from FFG, and now theres room for another competitive LCG game. I didnt see why not.

I could definitely see a competitive Terrinoth LCG. They have been declining 4 factions already, and can probably add another 1 or 2.

I mean they have Imperial Assault and Legion for Star Wars, plus X wing and Armada.

I think it's reasonable to assume Android universe will get a new LCG.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 5:50 AM, bageldrone said:

battletech is the last IP they should invest in at the moment. theyre in a loooong ongoing court case to prove the ownership of their art against harmony gold.

That court case was actually decided. Harmony Gold lost the case, so Harebrained Schemes can add older content to their games.

I agree they shouldn't pursue it though.

Oh, they bought Catan last year. They could make a Settlers of Catan LCG!

16 hours ago, ringofox said:

because they are tottally differents products, the WHQTCG reskin is a cooperative game, and Terrinoth is a licence 100% from FFG, and now theres room for another competitive LCG game. I didnt see why not.

The problem with this is that it's another fantasy setting. LCGs already have an issue with cannibalising their own players from other games; running three (four) fantasy based LCGs at one time just seems silly.

I could definitely see them trying a reskinned Conquest with TI. It's hardly a new concept, but the reskin of Warhammer Quest shows they're willing to dip back in to those games that got cut short, and the gameplay of Conquest was excellent. Otherwise, if they launch a new competitive game I think it almost has to be a sci-fi property of some description.

17 hours ago, Duciris said:

?

******* Catan. So sick of that game.

17 hours ago, Duciris said:

2 minutes ago, Grimwalker said:

?

******* Catan. So sick of that game.

Yeah, that wasn't a serious comment. ;)

I just wrote this over on the AH:LCG forum for a different reason, but I'll quote it here. This summarizes my view of the current state of LCGs, with a specific vantage of Arkham Horror.

As for the longevity of the game, there is added pressure to not abandon the AH:LCG any time soon. The Warhammer titles and Star Wars LCG being one thing, now that they've lost Netrunner, the only long-running LCG is LotR. Game of Thrones is a second edition and Legend of the Five Rings is just getting its footing - only now receiving product designed after the game's release. LCGs have been a staple of FFG for quite some time, and now they only have 4. Until new games are developed, I don't think any of them will be receiving limited attention from the devs.

On that last note, I expect a competitive Terrinoth LCG, a different competitive Android LCG, and a competitive Twilight Imperium LCG. All of these are IPs that FFG owns free-and-clear. I would have given even odds for the Terrinoth LCG to be competitive or co-op a week ago, but with the loss of Netrunner, I'm less inclined to think that they'll shift the balance to having fewer competitive games than cooperative. Next year's Winter World Championship (this year Netrunner will still be played), only has 3 games on the docket: L5R, AGoT, and Runewars. Unless I missed something. They'll want to boost that somehow. A new competitive game by GenCon '19, will only be possible by having it in production before now, or by rushing. In either case, I have to believe that is their aim. It worked really well for L5R last year, so if at all possible, they'll replicate it next year. The upside to losing Netrunner, is that a number of very good members of the card game team had their schedules freed up. We'll see what comes of this, but the one thing I'm not expecting is a new Star Wars game.

Copied from:

I don't think they'll reskin Conquest for TI. They could, but I don't think they will. The only way I'd expect that, is if they panic and try to rush it out. In that case, a preexisting system is optimal.

If you're interested in my opinions of potential for any of these (I have not taken the time to consider Android yet), I will direct you to my post on this forum from May 21, rather than repost it here.

I think you linked the wrong comment thread.

But I agree. This is the fewest Competitive LCGs they have had since 2010 I think. They probably have had something in the pipeline for next year with the end of Star Wars anyways. My expectation is Terrinoth with their increased focus in the past couple of years. I could see a 2019 release for a competitive Terrinoth LCG.

Twilight Imperium seems a bit more long term. But seems reasonable around the same timeframe as whenever the sourcebook comes out for Genesis. They definitely won't reskin Conquest. They didnt even reskin L5R for the LCG version. They will certainly draw inspiration and even a mechanic or two, but I expect a new game. It will almost certainly be competitive.

Android is the biggest question. It depends on how long ago they realized Netrunner was ending. I doubt they have a game for 2019, especially if they have another game in the pipeline in preparation for Star Wars ending. But I think 2020 is a reasonable release date. Gives them about a year to build a new system. It could be several things: a competitive symmtrical game for Corps vs Corps; co-op Investigators in the style of Android the board game; or co-op runners against the Corps and other conspiracies.

So my expectation is 2019: Terrinith, 2020: Android, 2021/2022: Twilight Imperium.

L5R and Arkham will definitely be confusing. Arkham has enough material to last at least 6 more years, and probably more.

On 6/11/2018 at 9:01 PM, Dawngreeter said:

I think it's reasonable to assume Android universe will get a new LCG.

New Android game has appeal, but will people get to it after get burned by Netrunner...

but Yep, Android universe is better known that TI is. So it could be. Android is Also more suitable to both competative and co-op system so there is room for one or another. For me TI Sounds more like competative Lcg format.