The Next LCG

By Radix2309, in Living Card Games

Call of Cthulhu 2nd Edition plz.

You think there’s any likelihood of that while AH TCG exists?

Another co-op one would be rather interesting, I think. Branding aside, LotR is very different from most other card games out there and there's a reason it's the longest running (if you accept the 'edition break' in Game of thrones as a new game).

• A sci-fi co-op would be cool.
  • Star Wars is the obvious one - it's supposedly what the PvP star wars game was originally going to be, before it was changed for reasons.
  • At the same time, "bunch of characters co-op vs the empire" is essentially imperial assault without the models.
  • Twilight Imperium might be interesting, but (a) the brand isn't one that drags in attention (if you're doing anything Fantasy or Sci-Fi, being able to slap the Lord of the Rings or Star Wars labels respectively on it almost guarantees a certain minimum level of success...) and (b) I'm not sure FFG's proprietary totally-not-dune universe works so well for a co-operative game.
    • Of course, Twilight Imperium is a universe, not a single point in time. Rex is set 3,000 years before 'twilight imperium' at the point the Lazax imperium falls, and is during the 'twilight wars' which went on for several decades despite there being a ruling dynasty. There could easily have been a "assorted loyal imperial nobles trying to hold the empire together" period, with members of various races equipped to be policeman, merchant, and diplomat to play fireman and sort out successive crises.
  • Terrinoth is an option for fleshing out - with RPG + Board Game + RPG-lite-game-book, a card game is the obvious next thing. But.....it's always felt very 'discount LotR' and the one thing you don't want to do is hurt the LotR LCG, which is FFG's longest running, by overlapping too much. At the same time, I was surprised that they did the Warhammer Quest card game, which was essentially a very similar premise. Whether it would have survived alongside LotR had GW and Asmodee not split ways, I don't know.

If it is a sci-fi themed co-op LCG, I would want a netrunner/shadowrun-esque game.

This is out of left field since it isn't in the FFG stable, but if they could wrangle the license, how about a co-op game in the Dune universe?

What is most likely? I am not a business/marketing person by any means, but would guess that they are looking at a combination of general market trends, where each of the current LCGs is in it's sales/life cycle, their resources and accessible IPs, and what mix of returning/current/new players gives them the best sales.....which is a ton of words to arrive at 'I got not clue.'

What would I like to see next? I really only play the Co-op LCGs and don't know if I'd want a 3rd one to keep up with right now. But, assuming that LOTR will go to the Undying Lands at some point, I'd love to see another co-op game to take it's place.

If they stick to in house IPs, I'd like to see a co-op LCG in the Netrunner or Terrinoth universes. If branching into other licenses, The Witcher would be cool.

On 12/04/2018 at 1:22 AM, Grimwalker said:

You think there’s any likelihood of that while AH TCG exists?

None at all, but the majority of the suggestions in this thread fall into that category. I just assumed we were doing pipe dreams.

The thread started off as realistic speculation about what FFG actually could do to publish another LCG, particularly its in-house IPs, but eventually went off into the weeds of wish fulfillment.

Wishing for the return of a game that has already been cancelled and supplanted with a better game goes from “no good reason to think this will ever happen” to “we have good reason to think this really won’t happen.”

Not going to yuck someone else’s yum on the former—their time is their own to waste—but the latter, come on.

You take your nerdy card games real serious, don’t you.

Obliviousness and sloppy thinking are irksome.

Yeah, well - I still want Cthulhu 2.0.

Irk irk.

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:39 AM, IngweVanyar said:

This is out of left field since it isn't in the FFG stable, but if they could wrangle the license, how about a co-op game in the Dune universe?

Unlikely - Shattered Imperium basically exists because they couldn't get the Dune license.

That said, as noted, the Shattered Imperium setting (albeit at a different point in time) might be interesting for a co-op game.

On 4/5/2018 at 12:07 PM, Hellvlad said:

There was another IP Alderac had back in the days, it was Secrets of the 7th sea and it also had it CCG back in that time. I would love so much see this setting brought back to life

John Wick still has 7th Sea IP. He very successfully kickstarted the RPG reboot and is working on a "card game"

The only major product line missing an LCG is Runebound/Terrinoth. I don't know if FFG has enough warm bodies to spread into another LCG right now. As much as I've said I'd like a MECCG, Vampire, or Battletech reboot (goodness knows Catalyst can't grow an IP), I think something which hasn't existed as a card game would be better. Imperium or Terrinoth.

PS. I don't play L5R and I don't like the new L5R, but I do like their release schedule and the introduction of smaller faction packs.

I actually wonder if the next LCG might actually be a original digital-focused one via FFInteractive. Would let them get a bit more experimental with mechanics instead of having to be bound by paper constraints, plus reach new markets.

On 5/3/2018 at 10:13 AM, Magnus Grendel said:

Unlikely - Shattered Imperium basically exists because they couldn't get the Dune license.

That said, as noted, the Shattered Imperium setting (albeit at a different point in time) might be interesting for a co-op game.

I think that was just the boardgame Rex that was affected by the Dune license, since Rex plays very similar to the old Dune boardgame. The Shattered Imperium was made specifically for Twilight Imperium, but FFG is getting a little more confident in their own IPs and was a good substitute in the re-imagining of the Dune boardgame.

I think Terrinoth is likely. Because it's universe is near enough to LotR, it should be competitive.

• I'd like to see a Mission deck, which would play similar to the Worlds deck of Conquest - this is the mission pool each player must strive to achieve, although the how of it may be different for different factions. You can play cards to hamper your opponent, but primarily focus on winning the mission for yourself. This deck would be independent of your deck/character/class, and would be provided by either player. What I'd really love to see with that deck though, is it rotate every-so-often. A new deluxe comes out, new missions. It shifts the meta - previously unplayable cards begin making appearances. High-level-play tournaments could focus on the newest mission deck, but you'd still be able to return to older missions in more casual tournaments.
  • For factions, I'd like to see multiple (at minimum 2) alignments, which limit deck building to options - similar to either SW:LCG or SW:Destiny (probably "good" and "evil"). There would also be factions - similar to the 5 classes of AH:LCG or the 3 colors of SW:Destiny. There would be restrictions on factions which could be splashed to some extent within the alignments.
  • You'd run a main character and be able to play allies & gear, similar to the AH:LCG or Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn or Warcraft LCG.
  • This could flesh out the Descent characters the same way the LCG has for Arkham Horror.

I like the idea of Twilight Imperium. My real question would be scale: is it character level, squad level, fleet level, empire level?

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:15 PM, qwertyuiop said:

The only major product line missing an LCG is Runebound/Terrinoth.

Actually, Star Wars is now also without one. With Destiny out, I don't believe they'll make another competitive LCG in the near future. A cooperative one, however...

• They nixed the coop one back when, because it was too similar to the LotR:LCG, which was pretty new at the time. I don't think they'd have that problem anymore. I could see FFG putting a neat coop game out in this universe without it feeling too much like LotR or AH.
  • However, my initial reluctance at getting into a new SW game would be 2 fold:
  • First, Original Trilogy. Somehow (I'm blaming Imperial Assault, Rogue One & SW:Rebels) I'm burned out on the original rebellion. I'm also not sold on TFA, as it feels like the original rebellion 2.0. The characters seemed to have thrown away the reigns of power to an otherwise-unheard-of group so they could go back to what they're good at: rebelling. That puts it in the prequel series (reasoning that KOTOR doesn't have a good enough publicist). The movies aside, the Clone Wars got really good and interesting.
  • Second, I don't want to play as the Rebels. If we go to the Clone Wars, this goes out the window. If we are instant on either the Original or Modern Trilogies, I don't want to play as the "Good Guys." If we must remain in I-III or VII-IX, I want to play as either the Imperials or as Bounty Hunters. The former could be about quelling the rebellion or enforcing imperial might. I see this as awesome, and very unlikely. Playing the Scum and Villainy, however, I think is much more feasible. They could easily pull from SW:EotE, as well as other sources.
  • If I am to pick up another Star Wars game (I have Imperial Assault, X-Wing, Legion & Destiny), it would have to fill a different niche. I like Imperial Assault enough that if a new LCG feels too similar (and it wouldn't take much for my standards to feel too similar) I won't pick it up.
  • If instead it focuses on coop-play as bounty hunters? They can't take my money fast enough.

I'd love a Star Wars coop !

9 hours ago, Duciris said:

• They nixed the coop one back when, because it was too similar to the LotR:LCG, which was pretty new at the time. I don't think they'd have that problem anymore. I could see FFG putting a neat coop game out in this universe without it feeling too much like LotR or AH.
  • Second, I don't want to play as the Rebels.

They also nixed version 1 because...people wanted to play other than Rebels.

For the Star Wars Co-op LCG

giphy.gif

On 5/21/2018 at 11:49 AM, Duciris said:

I think Terrinoth is likely. Because it's universe is near enough to LotR, it should be competitive.

• I'd like to see a Mission deck, which would play similar to the Worlds deck of Conquest - this is the mission pool each player must strive to achieve, although the how of it may be different for different factions. You can play cards to hamper your opponent, but primarily focus on winning the mission for yourself. This deck would be independent of your deck/character/class, and would be provided by either player. What I'd really love to see with that deck though, is it rotate every-so-often. A new deluxe comes out, new missions. It shifts the meta - previously unplayable cards begin making appearances. High-level-play tournaments could focus on the newest mission deck, but you'd still be able to return to older missions in more casual tournaments.
  • For factions, I'd like to see multiple (at minimum 2) alignments, which limit deck building to options - similar to either SW:LCG or SW:Destiny (probably "good" and "evil"). There would also be factions - similar to the 5 classes of AH:LCG or the 3 colors of SW:Destiny. There would be restrictions on factions which could be splashed to some extent within the alignments.
  • You'd run a main character and be able to play allies & gear, similar to the AH:LCG or Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn or Warcraft LCG.
  • This could flesh out the Descent characters the same way the LCG has for Arkham Horror.

I like the idea of Twilight Imperium. My real question would be scale: is it character level, squad level, fleet level, empire level?

Actually, Star Wars is now also without one. With Destiny out, I don't believe they'll make another competitive LCG in the near future. A cooperative one, however...

• However, my initial reluctance at getting into a new SW game would be 2 fold:
  • First, Original Trilogy. Somehow (I'm blaming Imperial Assault, Rogue One & SW:Rebels) I'm burned out on the original rebellion. I'm also not sold on TFA, as it feels like the original rebellion 2.0. The characters seemed to have thrown away the reigns of power to an otherwise-unheard-of group so they could go back to what they're good at: rebelling. That puts it in the prequel series (reasoning that KOTOR doesn't have a good enough publicist). The movies aside, the Clone Wars got really good and interesting.
  • Second, I don't want to play as the Rebels. If we go to the Clone Wars, this goes out the window. If we are instant on either the Original or Modern Trilogies, I don't want to play as the "Good Guys." If we must remain in I-III or VII-IX, I want to play as either the Imperials or as Bounty Hunters. The former could be about quelling the rebellion or enforcing imperial might. I see this as awesome, and very unlikely. Playing the Scum and Villainy, however, I think is much more feasible. They could easily pull from SW:EotE, as well as other sources.
  • If I am to pick up another Star Wars game (I have Imperial Assault, X-Wing, Legion & Destiny), it would have to fill a different niche. I like Imperial Assault enough that if a new LCG feels too similar (and it wouldn't take much for my standards to feel too similar) I won't pick it up.
  • If instead it focuses on coop-play as bounty hunters? They can't take my money fast enough.

I think a coop Star Wars game has been discussed enough and they may have reached a capacity on Star Wars products for a few years.

I have had similar ideas to you mission decks, although instead with planets for Twilight Imperium. Planet' that rotate with deluxes and formats.

There are definitely at least 4 factions based on the Miniatures game for Terrinoth. Potentially 2 more based on my understanding of the lore.

I like the idea of focusing on the characters. You could also compare it to the Warlords from Conquest.

I think for Twilight you would want to be at least at Fleet level or higher. It is usually grander in scale. You could have a planet deck with rotating planets, always having Mecatal Rex.

All the games have identites, Warlord, Investigators, or Agendas. Some way to differentiate decks within a faction. You could use agents like from the board game. Diplomats, Admirals, Generals, etc. But there are 2 alternatives. If at Fleet level use Flagships. The other alternative is a "homeworld". Not necessary a homeworld but a stronghold strongly associated with the faction.

The biggest issue is factions. There are a lot in the board game. There are the 6 "main" ones who were the originals. But what about the others.

My idea is to use factions splashes a little more liberally. Say allow splash from up to 2 factions. That allows you to print cards for factions without needing the main faction card. Then release new faction cards for a faction in pairs in a deluxe ahead of a cycle.

1 hour ago, Duciris said:

Never mind. I thought that the newly announced Heroes of Terinoth ( https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/6/6/heroes-of-terrinoth/) was going to be an LCG.

Looks like a Warhammer Quest reskin. WQ was a good game and I'm glad to see it revived with what will hopefully be more content in the future. I'm still hoping to see a proper AH style Star Wars coop LCG.

From the OP:

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 5:34 PM, Radix2309 said:

So with the cancellation of Star Wars, there appears to be an opening for another LCG. The question is, what setting will this LCG be in. Before I speculate, I want to look back on the history of the games first.

It got real today ( Jacking Out - Announcing the End of Android: Netrunner ), now they're down 2 LCGs.

I think it is now much more likely that they'll be making a new LCG, and that it will be with one of their existing, in-house IPs. It is also possible that it could be a new original IP, but I feel that would be a little less likely. (It'd crack me up if next year they announced a new Android LCG.)