The Next LCG

By Radix2309, in Living Card Games

I believe Arkham the year before L5R was leaked ahead of time. I can't quite remember. In general they aren't that predictable.

I don't think Netrunner was too complex. It has a niche but isn't too long of a game, you could fit the 2 games into an hour usually. Probably could benefit from a more consumer friendly model though. After 1.0, I doubt we get Netrunner 2.0 with anything less than a full ownership. They have been screwed twice by licenses in the past decade. But I would love if Netrunner 2.0 happened. Rotation gave it a good kick and I think it was easily the most successful of the competitive LCGs.

But we are now down to L5R, and frankly I think that game will die in a couple years, 5 at most.

So what replacements could there be? There are 5 real options with their current IP: Android, Terrinoth, Twilight Imperium, Star Wars, and L5R 2.0 with new rules. Terrinoth feels unlikely to me as it is kinda generic. Star Wars feels kind of dead at the moment, and they have canceled a card game for it twice in the past 5 years.

I would love any of the remaining options. Twilight Imperium is a pretty undeveloped setting, but has lots of potential. It could work if they really wanted to use their flagship boardgame more.

Android Netrunner isn't coming back without the license. A new LCG in that setting I think would have to be distinct. My current idea would be Corp vs Corp espionage, with runners showing up as hired guns, or manipulated agents.

Finally is L5R 2.0. Which I feel may be most likely. I think they need to pare down the mechanics significantly and maybe make it a faster game.