The Next LCG

By Radix2309, in Living Card Games

12 hours ago, Hexcessive said:

I hope the next one, whatever it may be in their LCG range, is not co-op. I've always had the most fun by far with their competitive releases, especially Netrunner and Cthulhu back in the day.

The funny thing is that when I think about Cthulhu as a License, it's absolutely 100% perfect for the Netrunner mechanics. Investigators using tools to try and penetrate layers of secrecy in order to fox cultist plans.

Sadly they have one component but not the other. And also it'd probably be hard to come up a zillion colourful programs like they did for Netrunner. Eldritch ICE would of course be a little easier.

On 2/25/2020 at 4:27 AM, Ersatz Nihilist said:

And also it'd probably be hard to come up a zillion colourful programs like they did for Netrunner. Eldritch ICE would of course be a little easier.

Surely the equivalent of ICEbreakers would just be weapons. You have your melee weapons for dealing with monsters that corner you (like Deep Ones and Dark Young), your firearms for monsters that use wide open spaces to their advantage (like Nightgaunts and Eztli Guardians), and your spells as wildcards that come with backlash.

Steve Horvath interview, he talks about a lot of Star Wars content coming in next few years. He also talks about how successful coop card games have been. Now he did not say anything about a SW card game coming. I feel like it is a real possibility. I now have a spark of hope. Probably just wishful thinking though.

On 3/14/2020 at 9:34 AM, Ywingscum said:

Steve Horvath interview, he talks about a lot of Star Wars content coming in next few years. He also talks about how successful coop card games have been. Now he did not say anything about a SW card game coming. I feel like it is a real possibility. I now have a spark of hope. Probably just wishful thinking though.

I would not mind a reskin of Arkham Horror LCG with the Star Wars logo. I could see the signature card, weakness cards, random weakness concept working with a Star Wars co-op game. Have a Luke Skywalker hero card. His signature card being "Luke's Lightsaber" and his signature weakness being "reckless" or "lure to the dark side".

On 3/14/2020 at 10:34 AM, Ywingscum said:

It's FFG, they can't go more than a few months without churning out new Star Wars content, it's pretty much a guarantee you'll get the co-op.

I pray regularly for Netrunner to return or a reskin of Conquest.

Here's a question. If they somehow brought back the Netrunner system or the Conquest system but instead implemented them as a unique card game rather than an LCG would that turn you off or would you still be excited?

6 hours ago, phillos said:

Here's a question. If they somehow brought back the Netrunner system or the Conquest system but instead implemented them as a unique card game rather than an LCG would that turn you off or would you still be excited?

Unique Card Game - do you mean something similar to Keyforge?

yeah that distribution model. Not the system. The game plays the same but you open a pack and there's a unique configuration of cards forming an Tau deck for Conquest for example.

I bring it up because they seem to be putting the breaks on competitive LCGs and doubling down on co-op LCGs. Though they also have the Unique Card Game system, which while I find an interesting idea distribution-wise, I don't much like the system or theme of Keyforge. I think I'd be pretty stoked if I could pay 12-15 bucks for a pack and just sit down with another player and play a system I love like Conquest or Netrunner. It makes those games much more casual but also way more new player friendly. Though I always enjoyed more limited formats like draft and sealed for games than full constructed.

3 hours ago, phillos said:

yeah that distribution model. Not the system. The game plays the same but you open a pack and there's a unique configuration of cards forming an Tau deck for Conquest for example.

I bring it up because they seem to be putting the breaks on competitive LCGs and doubling down on co-op LCGs. Though they also have the Unique Card Game system, which while I find an interesting idea distribution-wise, I don't much like the system or theme of Keyforge. I think I'd be pretty stoked if I could pay 12-15 bucks for a pack and just sit down with another player and play a system I love like Conquest or Netrunner. It makes those games much more casual but also way more new player friendly. Though I always enjoyed more limited formats like draft and sealed for games than full constructed.

Deckbuilding is perhaps as equally important to me as gameplay, so it's not something I'd personally be into. It's why I quit playing Keyforge almost immediately. That said, I do understand the appeal of those models to a more casual audience. They are also great for sealed events!

I'm hoping they come out with a new competitive LCG soon, but at this point, I think I just have to accept they build them to cannibalize them. The cores are never complete. There's always too many factions to support. No good entry points for new players after a certain period of time. Etc, etc.

To your point, I also think a lack of a draft format for LCGs is always kind of a killer too. A great format, but there's no incentive for invested players to draft since they already own everything and there's no real monetary value to any of the cards.

Maybe they'll surprise me, though. Marvel Champions did release with a full-core set. Granted, it's co-op, but it's a step in the right direction.

Maybe altered art draft packs? Then there would be reason to buy draft packs. Maybe 3 different picture variant to each card. Normal, rare, ultrarare so whales would try to get that ultrarare alt art set 😉

the problem is that art is not free and it most likely would be too expensive to do that...

I can't see them doing another Keyforge. That would just be eating into their own product. I mean maybe if they have a different enough game, but I don't think it is quite as sustainable.

17 hours ago, Radix2309 said:

I can't see them doing another Keyforge. That would just be eating into their own product. I mean maybe if they have a different enough game, but I don't think it is quite as sustainable.

Releasing pvp LCG every two years was "eating their own product" as lot of people were jumping from one LCG into another (fresh) one.

4 hours ago, kempy said:

Releasing pvp LCG every two years was "eating their own product" as lot of people were jumping from one LCG into another (fresh) one.

Yet they seemed somewhat able to sustain them. The only LCG to get canceled for non-licsense reasons were SW, CoC, and AGOT. Star Wars had a rocky start and had a bit of trouble capturing the player base, and was replaced by Destiny. CoC was mature and replaced by Arkham. AGOT was replaced by 2nd edition and then ended after over 15 years. I expect the reduction of Thrones interest from pop culture and lack of books may have also contributed.

But Netrunner was experiencing a revival with the Revised Core set.

You can play multiple LCGs, but a UCG has a money barrier. You get more variety by buying more decks instead of just building them. Having multiple games means you have to attract people to buy these lootboxes for multiple games.

51 minutes ago, Radix2309 said:

The only LCG to get canceled for non-licsense reasons were SW, CoC, and AGOT.

Invasion was cancelled becasue of bad sales. Two years later they started with Conquest.

1 hour ago, kempy said:

Invasion was cancelled becasue of bad sales. Two years later they started with Conquest.

There was only 3 LCGs at that time, and 2 more grew to replace it. There seemed to be room for about 3 Active LCGs to co-exist. First AGOT, Netrunner, and Conquest, and then later with L5R replaced Conquest. Plus Star Wars was around for most of that.

I am eager for a competitive player vs. player LCG from this company. My groups and I find co-op's to be tiresome and we miss the days of Netrunner and Call of Cthulhu.

Some of my friends still play Netrunner, but there are so many interesting opportunities for the future. Dune, again, comes to mind for p vs. p (hopefully in a group of up to 4).

The smart move for a competitive lcg would a standard 2 player pop format with variant rules for team combat and 4 player battle royal

On 5/25/2020 at 4:26 PM, kempy said:

I'm sticking with my opinion that it was bolt throwers and dwarf decks.

Dune definitely have potential... but it has to be even faster.

mulligan rules can make Dune definitely faster. We have tryed out using AH/l5r mulligan rules in Dune and it definitely did get faster. 3 to 5 round to win did become the very stable. The problem with Dune may be that the rules could be considered too complex in todays standard. Same problem as with Netrunner and l5r. The big audience avoid those game because the too complex game play... yeah... I like all those three but I know that I belong to very small niche and small niche does not allow long living games. But Dune has potential. There is room to some streamlining and modern mulligan rules make the game fast (with right tuned decks ofcourse..)

Edited by Hannibal_pjv
Typo

Dune is really powerful license. CCG cards are rare and even somebody is going to sell, prices arent low.

Hey-O, Everyone!

Let's get serious. Because of the pandemic, F.F.G. will have to shelve their competitive, one-versus-one, tournament-style l.c.g. until 2021.

Like movie studios with big-budget films, they can't sell tickets to their shows. Let's imagine that they've spent years developing Conquest 2.0 skinned as Star Wars, Luke vs. Vader, Admiral Ackbar vs. Count Dooku, young Obi Won vs. Darth Maul.

F.F.G. would have to drop the game without mass sales and tournament at a physical Gen-Con. They couldn't support organized play or regionals for at least the next eight months.

The only option I could see is a Star Wars loose-e-goosy, casual, cooperative l.c.g. a la Marvel Champions with a particular focus on solo play.

Honestly, F.F.G. might punt their big projects until they can back-up the retailers with attention-getting support for the tournament/meet-up scene down the road.

Can anyone see a complete start-over for Android Netrunner with a five-year license from Hasbro? That'd hit like fire.

Oh, and they should sacrifice new- L5R to the mana gods. Every post about that game carries that train wreck farther into misery.

I'd give a lot to get a Netrunner rebirth, honestly It's easily in my top three LGC's and maybe card games.

That said, I'm not going to complain about Marvel Champions. i own it and follow it pack after pack and am not disappointed so far. S.O. F.A.R. They try to spice up things with a campaign mode, let's see where they go. My worry is that they suddenly lose the licence or don't make enough profit on it in the long run. Quantities distributed to Europe are scarce and if I'm not on the front, checking every news and pre-ordering my packs, I'm good to lose the "get them all" championship...

But I know FFG. They tend to release a lot of (cool) things but most of their things tend to die quite easily. Things that survive are sometimes true hits but also zombies that are not provided with additional content (like Descent II).

Netrunner II would be something I'd be happy to see again, I was not happy with aGoT II because it plainly said that my 1st edition was good for the trash (But I jealously keep it) same with X-Wing, I love my 1st edition vessels. Arkham didn't catch my interest that much and L5R....well Let's say I didn't get any further than the core set of the two aforementioned games.

I didn't get into Star Wars LCG nor did I continu buying LotR. But that's my situation, I know those games are great but my favourite ones are surprisingly or not :

1) netrunner

2)Warhamer Invasion

3) Warhammer Conquest

All of them are dead and I'm now on Marvel Champions until I get fed up or they get the licence off their hands and have to burry the game.

TL;DR : they can do whatever they want, i'm just worry of the life expectancy of their games.

When FFG announces or debuts new products at GenCon, have there typically been rumblings about that product leading up to it? Or is it a usually a pretty well kept secret?

Really want a new competitive LCG since Destiny was canned, though I'm certainly not expecting one. Just wondering if such a thing was in development if we'd have heard something slip at this point.

12 hours ago, the eigensheep said:

When FFG announces or debuts new products at GenCon, have there typically been rumblings about that product leading up to it? Or is it a usually a pretty well kept secret?

Really want a new competitive LCG since Destiny was canned, though I'm certainly not expecting one. Just wondering if such a thing was in development if we'd have heard something slip at this point.

Last year Marvel was a complete surprise. Year before Keyforge was a complete surprise. Before that Destiny was announced before Gencon and before that L5R was known beforehand