The Next LCG

By Radix2309, in Living Card Games

So with the cancellation of Star Wars, there appears to be an opening for another LCG. The question is, what setting will this LCG be in. Before I speculate, I want to look back on the history of the games first.

FFG's LCGs launched when they moved Call of Cthuhtu and A Game of Thrones from CCGs to the fixed LCG model in '08. This was followed up with Warhammer: Invasion in '09, bringing the number of games up to 3. In '11 Lord of the Rings launched as the first co-op LCG. Bringing the number to 3 Competitive, and 1 Co-op. In '12, FFG launched 2 games: Star Wars and Android: Netrunner. This brought the number of games up to 5 Competitive and 1 Co op. From this point on the number of LCGs was 6, or 5 inbetween games being canceled and released. Invasion was discontinued in '13, to be replaced by Warhammer 40K Conquest in '14. Rotation was implemented around '14 with Thrones being discontinued to be replaced by the Second Edition of Thrones, launched in '15. Call of Cthulhtu was cancelled in '16 to be replaced by Arkham Horror, bringing the number of LCG's to 4 Competitive and 2 Co-op. Finally Conquest was cancelled in '16, replaced by Legend of the Five Rings in '17.

That brings us to now with Star Wars being cancelled. Now the obvious next game would be a co-op version of Star Wars, which was it's original design before being retooled. But there is Star Wars destiny now, which may put a co-op game on the back-burner. It is there to fill the void. This would also bring the number of co-op games to 3, which seems plausible given the success Arkham Horror has experience, but I don't think this will happen for a couple of years, with another game coming first.

So which setting will take it's place? I think we can look to the recently released Genesys RPG rulebook. In it, they have different genre's, each with a different setting owned by FFG: Runebound, Sovereigns of Steam, Tannhauser, Android, and Twilight Imperium. These seem like the obvious place to grab a new property. Android already has a game, so that isn't happening. Tannhauser is a miniatures game that was discontinued in '12, with nothing in the setting since then. This makes it unlikely, besides not having as much appeal. Sovereigns of Steam is based on a single board game, which hasn't been too popular either, although so was Android. Android did have a game engine already build with Netrunner though. I don't think this one is likely right now considering it has almost nothing in terms of the world.

Which brings me to the two I find most likely: Runebound and Twilight Imperium. Runebound has been receiving a consistent push lately. They have had new editions of their board games, the Runewars Miniatures game last year, and they are the first setting to receive a sourcebook. They also have 4-6 clearly defined factions. On the other hand they are somewhat in the realm of generic fantasy, of which we already have LotR, AGOT, and L5r. Runebound is different from L5R and AGOT by being more High Fantasy, and would be different from LoTR by being competitive. But there is currently a gap in sci-fi for LCGs. They have Android for Cyberpunk, but nothing for Space Opera/Sci-Fi. This makes me think they might go for Twilight Imperium, which just got a 4th edition. They could possibly reuse parts of Conquest's game engine, while also updating it and making it new. This is my personal favorite for a new game.

What do you guys think will be next? And what do you think it will be like?

Thanks for the LCG publication history.

A Runebound LCG would really interesting but I feel like FFG might decide to just focus more on the remaining LCG's at this point. If another LCG is killed off I would put my money on something in the Runebound setting. They might even try making a digital only game as the next LCG.

I realized that Twilight imperium has the problem of having so many factions, so so think Runebound might be more likely.

I don' expect a new LCG this year, but probably something next year in 2019.

I am still holding out for Vampire the eternal struggle.

16 minutes ago, BuzzsawMF said:

Does FFG own the license?

No, it's currently owned by Paradox Interactive.

And there's rumour that FFG/Asmodee hasty bought L5R IP because they failed to gain WoD (World od Darkness) license.

Edited by kempy

The Co-op version of Star Wars was scrapped for a reason. However, it looks like there are more of the type of gamer that would be into a boring co-op Star Wars game. Who knows?

Terrinoth and Notdune Dune are fairly fleshed out in other games with a bunch of art already owned. However, they're fairly vanilla and don't have a widely popular IP brand(compared to Star Wars, LotR, Warhammer, Marvel,etc) attached to them.

WoD would be cool, but it's owned and kinda in development elsewhere. Battletech would also be cool, but take a look at all the legal issues related to it and the companies managing (mismanaging in some cases) it. :( I'd love a retooled, somewhat streamlined MECCG to bridge a LCG/board game gap, but I don't want FFG to...FFuG it up.

We're pretty good with 5. We'll be good with 4 when LotR finishes, too :)

Edited by qwertyuiop

I think if they were to do another LCG, they should look into working with Bethesda and utilizing one of their big properties, like DOOM, Fallout, or the Elderscrolls. Since they already have some board games using those IPs, I don't think it's a stretch to see them used more.

I for one would LOVE if they took the Conquest system and applied it to a Bethesda IP. That game was one of their best LCGs and it's system could be used for so many different things.

3 hours ago, kempy said:

And there's rumour that FFG/Asmodee hasty bought L5R IP because they failed to gain WoD (World od Darkness) license.

That doesn’t make much sense. I can’t see how they’d be related.

1 hour ago, KingOfOdonata said:

I think if they were to do another LCG, they should look into working with Bethesda and utilizing one of their big properties, like DOOM, Fallout, or the Elderscrolls. Since they already have some board games using those IPs, I don't think it's a stretch to see them used more.

I for one would LOVE if they took the Conquest system and applied it to a Bethesda IP. That game was one of their best LCGs and it's system could be used for so many different things.

How would a game focusing on group combat/war translate into a world of individual exploration and combat?

Just now, qwertyuiop said:

How would a game focusing on group combat/war translate into a world of individual exploration and combat?

It doesn't have to be a direct translation, just using the setting. There is plenty of group battles that have occurred in those settings, especially Elder Scrolls.

Regardless, I think utilizing the Bethesda IP's is a great idea no matter game they make.

57 minutes ago, KingOfOdonata said:

It doesn't have to be a direct translation, just using the setting. There is plenty of group battles that have occurred in those settings, especially Elder Scrolls.

Regardless, I think utilizing the Bethesda IP's is a great idea no matter game they make.

Definitely. (personally, I think SWLCG would be good if the Conquest rules were tacked on)

A Bethesda IP LCG based around Voltron builds? :P

On 1/16/2018 at 11:34 PM, BuzzsawMF said:

Same, I love VTES, and I would love to see FFG blow some new life into this one, the LCG format would be Peerrrrfect for this kind of game, and a multiplayer game like VTES with some new and more detailed card art/setup, would just make this game come alive in ways it could not do as a trading game created by Wizards/WW 20+ years ago.

There is such a large community still playing VTES and at the moment it feels like Paradox isn't doing much with its IP for VTES... :/

Anyway, it's not likely to happen and if it is, it would take 2-3 years before they would print it

//T

Somewhere in the wilds of the internet, an FFG employee commented on how they looked at getting Jyhad/Vampire a while ago, but it didn't make financial sense for them. It was a while ago, though, and things may have changed.

11 hours ago, BD Flory said:

Somewhere in the wilds of the internet, an FFG employee commented on how they looked at getting Jyhad/Vampire a while ago, but it didn't make financial sense for them. It was a while ago, though, and things may have changed.

The FFG employee was none other than Mr. Petersen, on this post on boardgamegeek.

<cut> FFG did look into publishing this game for a time, and we decided to pass on it for a number of reasons.<cut>

So, no VTES, in any form, from FFG.

Sorry,

Christian
FFG

However the post was from 4 years ago...

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:24 AM, KingOfOdonata said:

I'm already having to budget for L5R, Arkham Horror, and Lord of the Rings, but I would have to make room for an Elder Scrolls LCG if they made one!

Monster hunter LCG. Let's make it happen.

monster hunter LCG +1

Monster Hunter is an interesting idea, how do you think it would work?

Essential elements: Weapons, Monsters, crafting of some kind. A sense of exploration and tactical skill.

The real question is how to integrate a crafting system against the limits of a card game. Is it PvP or co op?

Co OP seems doable. Each cycle is a different environment. You have scenarios with quests culminating in a hunt against the boss monster. You gather materials to improve your gear along the way. But still a few issues in this method.

I would prefer cycle in different Generation of games , but don't really know if we should have an competitiv ou coopérativ game . problem is the concept fo the game is more coop , but it's difficult to see the scenaristic aspect who is not a lot developped in games . I would see scenario 1 and 2 : survival for the 1 , and for the 2 recup for composent in open world who will be used in the rest of the campaign with the kill of a monster who is the end of the scenario . For the rest ... dont know , I have to think ..

Since FFG acquired L5R from Alderac, I'd REALLY love to see they getting Warlord: Saga of the Storm (which was an AEG game before being sold to Phoenix Interactive). Played for two long and wonderfull five years, had an ongoing storyline, the incredible Overlord Championships (a 25 special and powerfull deck to be challenged by the players and whoever wins gets the entire deck). The mix of D20 System and cardgame delivered a fluid, fun and impredicable cardgame where no deck or card alone could win just by being rare or powerfull.

The day FFG announces they acquired Warlord license would be the day I'd believe in miracles once again :)

If coop, I would be interested in a Star Trek theme. All factions could have the same missions, just their way of completing them would change, for instance the Federation would use diplomacy, while the Klingons would use force.

If competitive, it should be similiar to Call of Cthulhu in that you are able to mix any faction with any or all other factions. Netrunner is asymmetrical, while AGoT and L5R are only able to splash other factions. Better yet, They should just revise Call of Cthulhu and continue where they left off as it was the best LCG ever.

There was another IP Alderac had back in the days, it was Secrets of the 7th sea and it also had it CCG back in that time. I would love so much see this setting brought back to life